Ozias

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

DanKara
x4

Re: Ozias

Post by DanKara » Thu, 13. Jan 22, 08:32

Sovereign01 wrote:
Thu, 13. Jan 22, 02:21
BrigandPhantos77 wrote:
Thu, 13. Jan 22, 01:30
Sovereign01 wrote:
Wed, 12. Jan 22, 22:20

You're better off obtaining the normal jump beacons via the Hephaistos complex builder :D
So with those you have to trigger bail, claim the ship, and eject the beacon before the ship self destructs?
That's what it boils down to. The best ships for the job are the vanilla Scorpion or non-vanilla Mako due to their speed and weaponry, you need to be really close because it's a very short window and the override software has a very short range.
I beg to differ on the “ship needed”. Actually, you can use any ship you are comfortable with (for hunting M4’s).
Personally, I started JB-hunting in a mildly tuned Maru (approx. 240 speed) and later in a different game with a standard Hyperion. You don’t have to catch your prey! You know where the Sabre comes from (nearest Gate/TOA/JB) and where he will fly to (build spot) so position yourself somewhere in-between. If you are in a slow(er) ship, he will circle around you (once aggro’ed). That might help later on.
[I hate switching ships in space. Because, lazy old hag with a holey memory I am, I tend to forget about that ship left. And much too often that ship gets into unwanted trouble or gets killed.]

The same goes for the weapons used. However, most player (including me) likes to use PACs and/or PBEs. Other weapons (IonDs, IREs, PBGs, CIGs…) I use mostly, when I get frustrated… (and sometimes still get the bail). On Steam a player even suggested the use of Mass Drivers.

To actually get the Jumb Beacon (after the bail happens) you can use the Cargo Bay Freight Hacker (CBH) or claim the ship (best done via System Overwrite Software, SOS) and ejecting the JB. The CBH I used back in 1.2 about 50-times without trouble – until in 1.3 I came across multiple Sabre’s with surviving Cargo Bay Shielding. So annoying!
Since then I use the SOS on a “Flyby-Takeover”: As soon as the Sabre turns blue, point your ship in his direction, max speed (but don’t collide!). Meanwhile select the “Claim”-option from the sidebar and use this as soon as possible.

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Fri, 14. Jan 22, 05:22

DanKara wrote:
Thu, 13. Jan 22, 08:32
Sovereign01 wrote:
Thu, 13. Jan 22, 02:21
BrigandPhantos77 wrote:
Thu, 13. Jan 22, 01:30

So with those you have to trigger bail, claim the ship, and eject the beacon before the ship self destructs?
That's what it boils down to. The best ships for the job are the vanilla Scorpion or non-vanilla Mako due to their speed and weaponry, you need to be really close because it's a very short window and the override software has a very short range.
I beg to differ on the “ship needed”. Actually, you can use any ship you are comfortable with (for hunting M4’s).
Personally, I started JB-hunting in a mildly tuned Maru (approx. 240 speed) and later in a different game with a standard Hyperion. You don’t have to catch your prey! You know where the Sabre comes from (nearest Gate/TOA/JB) and where he will fly to (build spot) so position yourself somewhere in-between. If you are in a slow(er) ship, he will circle around you (once aggro’ed). That might help later on.
[I hate switching ships in space. Because, lazy old hag with a holey memory I am, I tend to forget about that ship left. And much too often that ship gets into unwanted trouble or gets killed.]

The same goes for the weapons used. However, most player (including me) likes to use PACs and/or PBEs. Other weapons (IonDs, IREs, PBGs, CIGs…) I use mostly, when I get frustrated… (and sometimes still get the bail). On Steam a player even suggested the use of Mass Drivers.

To actually get the Jumb Beacon (after the bail happens) you can use the Cargo Bay Freight Hacker (CBH) or claim the ship (best done via System Overwrite Software, SOS) and ejecting the JB. The CBH I used back in 1.2 about 50-times without trouble – until in 1.3 I came across multiple Sabre’s with surviving Cargo Bay Shielding. So annoying!
Since then I use the SOS on a “Flyby-Takeover”: As soon as the Sabre turns blue, point your ship in his direction, max speed (but don’t collide!). Meanwhile select the “Claim”-option from the sidebar and use this as soon as possible.
The reason I recommended those ships is because they have both the speed to catch the Sabre and the right weapons for getting it to bail. Only the vanilla version of the Scorpion (which you have to build anyway as part of the plot) can mount PBEs, the only other is the Yaki Raijin but its speed is only very slightly greater than the Sabre so is not much of an alternative.

The reason the shield-ignoring Mass Drivers are useful is because the hull needs to be brought down to <90% before a bail can occur, and because a bail check only takes place every so often and cannot happen while the hull is intact you're more likely to get a bail the first time you drain the shields after nibbling the hull first. And because the Scorpion can also mount MDs you equip both and fire the MDs first, only one or two short bursts are needed to get the job done, then use the PBEs to drain the shields as normal. The Scorpion only has enough power to fire two PBEs but it's still enough to take down the shields. The hull damage is only slight but it adds up when the target is an M4.

The other ship you can use is the Boron Mako because it can mount IDs, the enhanced version is best due to its speed though all except the vanilla (barely faster than the aforementioned Raijin) are fast enough to chase, although you will still need to damage the hull a bit using either IREs or PACs before you have a chance for it to bail.

It's possible to use the Scorpion for the first part then the Mako for the second for the best of both worlds.

My method is simply to wait by the gate the Sabre emerges from and engage it straight away, there's enough time between their appearances that you can offload the beacons you get to a second ship without missing the next one.

fireanddream
xr

Post by fireanddream » Fri, 14. Jan 22, 06:36

Sovereign01 wrote:
Fri, 14. Jan 22, 05:22
The reason I recommended those ships is because they have both the speed to catch the Sabre and the right weapons for getting it to bail. Only the vanilla version of the Scorpion (which you have to build anyway as part of the plot) can mount PBEs, the only other is the Yaki Raijin but its speed is only very slightly greater than the Sabre so is not much of an alternative.

The reason the shield-ignoring Mass Drivers are useful is because the hull needs to be brought down to <90% before a bail can occur, and because a bail check only takes place every so often and cannot happen while the hull is intact you're more likely to get a bail the first time you drain the shields after nibbling the hull first. And because the Scorpion can also mount MDs you equip both and fire the MDs first, only one or two short bursts are needed to get the job done, then use the PBEs to drain the shields as normal. The Scorpion only has enough power to fire two PBEs but it's still enough to take down the shields. The hull damage is only slight but it adds up when the target is an M4.

The other ship you can use is the Boron Mako because it can mount IDs, the enhanced version is best due to its speed though all except the vanilla (barely faster than the aforementioned Raijin) are fast enough to chase, although you will still need to damage the hull a bit using either IREs or PACs before you have a chance for it to bail.

It's possible to use the Scorpion for the first part then the Mako for the second for the best of both worlds.

My method is simply to wait by the gate the Sabre emerges from and engage it straight away, there's enough time between their appearances that you can offload the beacons you get to a second ship without missing the next one.
That's bloody genius, abusing the sandbox like no others. My favorite things in sandbox game is to do all these wacky things that are just absolutely not something the devs forsaw me doing, and skip through the power progression like no tomorrow. I was so proud of myself when I discovered marine abduction from sighting an NPC-on-NPC boarding, and I gotta try stealing jump beacons as soon as possible.

DanKara
x4

Post by DanKara » Fri, 14. Jan 22, 08:31

Sovereign01 wrote:
Fri, 14. Jan 22, 05:22
So we do the same ... essentially. With you sitting "behind" the gate, thus needs speed to close up with the Sabre. While I sit "in front" of the gate and the Sabre closing in on my position. You see, no need for speed!
(Don't wanna boast, but I was the one (re-)introducing this exploit.)

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”