Kha'ak and Xenon

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 05:57

As far as I could tell, the Xenon are formless. I like to think the Kha'ak are similar, though perhaps more arcane and terrifying. A race like Clarke's Firstborn, having transcended "life" and become some kind of metamaterial themselves, embedded in pyramid lattices that are assembled into starships... :D

Or perhaps they're just mean bug critters. Not as fun. :roll:
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Tomislavveg

Post by Tomislavveg » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 12:01

Nanook wrote:And technically, the Xenon have no real form, being just an embedded AI software construct. So this is probably as good a representation as any other. :mrgreen:

...So, what really happens when you fight the Xenon and receive the following message:
"Unknown object has left it's ship, and is now belong to you"? :?
:xt:

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 13:08

Xenon are just software. More likely a software package on a quantum cpu. And they're networked to each other.
What would one of my profesors from the AI division say: "To seee naaamaa neeebi sviiidjeeelooo" (Thaaat wouuld beee baaad fooor uuus) ... guy stals words. It takes him five seconds to say OK.

Speaking of AI do you guys know that certain software was responsible for some mathematical proofs? It actullay found a way to prove something that humans couldn't think of. And this happened more than once. In some casese the human authors of the book listed the software as the author.

The Kha'ak are, from what I understad, partialy based on Shadows from the Babylon 5 universe. A powerful insectoid race that just appeared from nowhere and starts blowing everything they don't like to hell.
And that corvette really looks like shadow battle crab. So yeah... they're ugly, bugish and don't like you. And much like Ahmed the dead terrorist they kill you!

RyuKazuha
x3tc

Post by RyuKazuha » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 13:11

vukica wrote:And much like Ahmed the dead terrorist they kill you!
But unlike him they can't tell jokes, wich is somewhat of a downgrade.

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 13:47

RyuKazuha wrote:
vukica wrote:And much like Ahmed the dead terrorist they kill you!
But unlike him they can't tell jokes, wich is somewhat of a downgrade.
How would you know that. Maybe they can.

A paranid and a split walk into a bar.
A kha'ak pop's out and kills them!

RyuKazuha
x3tc

Post by RyuKazuha » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 14:14

Because humor would need sentient beings and a moment of irrationality at the least. As far as we know, Xenon aren't blessed with either of that.

For a solely rational being your sentence isn't funny, it's a rational conclusion based on the facts that

1. Kha'ak kill everything that isn't a Kha'ak

and

2. Neither Split nor Paranid are Kha'ak

Pure rational thought can determine valid, partly valid and invalid conclusions (assuming a multivalent base logic, bivalent systems could only distinguish valid and invalid conclusions), but it's unable to interpret something as humorous or not.

As far as I know, Xenon routines are not sentient at this point of the story. They went rogue because of a software malfunction, not because they became sentient (as opposed by the Geth in the Mass Effect-Universe).
Last edited by RyuKazuha on Sat, 20. Feb 10, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 14:15

Can you guys really not see the buglike face in that Khaak picture? The bug eyes, at least, are pretty obvious.
vukica wrote:The Kha'ak are, from what I understad, partialy based on Shadows from the Babylon 5 universe. A powerful insectoid race that just appeared from nowhere and starts blowing everything they don't like to hell.
And that corvette really looks like shadow battle crab. So yeah... they're ugly, bugish and don't like you. And much like Ahmed the dead terrorist they kill you!
Spoiler
Show
The Khaak didn't just attack at random. The Paranid invaded their space and destroyed their homes to mine Nividium. The Khaak, understandably enraged, take their fury out on the entire Commonwealth.

All because of the Paranid.

Gives you all sorts of friendly feelings for the three-eyed ones, eh?

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 14:48

OniGanon wrote:Can you guys really not see the buglike face in that Khaak picture? The bug eyes, at least, are pretty obvious.
vukica wrote:The Kha'ak are, from what I understad, partialy based on Shadows from the Babylon 5 universe. A powerful insectoid race that just appeared from nowhere and starts blowing everything they don't like to hell.
Spoiler
Show
The Khaak didn't just attack at random. The Paranid invaded their space and destroyed their homes to mine Nividium. The Khaak, understandably enraged, take their fury out on the entire Commonwealth.

All because of the Paranid.

Gives you all sorts of friendly feelings for the three-eyed ones, eh?
Ok, so three three-eyed paranid walk into a bar, a kha'ak pop's out and kills them!
And than a split comes out shouting "Split die, never surr..." and kha'ak kills him too.
Split say NEED MORE FIREPOWER!!

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 18:32

RyuKazuha wrote:Because humor would need sentient beings and a moment of irrationality at the least. As far as we know, Xenon aren't blessed with either of that.
They're on about the Kha'ak telling jokes, not the Xenon. :roll:

RyuKazuha
x3tc

Post by RyuKazuha » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 19:20

You're right. Hell, i think sleep isn't that overestimated at all. x[

Well, yes, Kha'ak might tell jokes.

"What causes my fighter to behave like crazy?!" "It's a bug." "%#&§:["

Eod Nhoj

B 5

Post by Eod Nhoj » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 08:39

From what I've read, the Khaak being reclusive in nature simply can't distinguish between the commonwealth races.
Also, as opposed to Babylon 5 race of Shadows, the Khaak don't use other minions for their plots. Babylon 5 Shadows and Vorlons (their arch nemesis) all acted behind the scenes, manipulating others into playing their way. (Recently watched B5's all five seasons :-) What an awesome universe!)
Oh, and there is some project on modding X3TC into B5! (It's not goig to be released soon, but from the pics and vids I saw, it really does give the feel of B5)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”