[x3tc] Can mouse follow mode during left-click be disabled?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pongkan
x3tc

[x3tc] Can mouse follow mode during left-click be disabled?

Post by pongkan » Sun, 13. Jun 10, 05:07

I like the new control style but I keep unintentionally entering mouse follow mode while selecting stuff on the screen. So I like to just purely use spacebar to toggle mouse follow mode instead. Is this possible?

thanks! :)

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Sun, 13. Jun 10, 06:02

Been meaning to look in to this as well.

Think I tried messing with settings to no avail.
[ external image ]
The end of a trilogy does not mean an end to a series.
| Vanilla with strawberries? [List of Vanilla safe mods.] | Tired of the plots? [Plot Skipper Tool v0.5] |
| X3: R & TC Minimaps |

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 13. Jun 10, 07:47

AFAIK you have to click, hold, and select from a submenu to enter mouse follow mode--it shouldn't happen when you just click on something onscreen!

Demotruk
x3tc

Post by Demotruk » Sun, 13. Jun 10, 12:14

pjknibbs wrote:AFAIK you have to click, hold, and select from a submenu to enter mouse follow mode--it shouldn't happen when you just click on something onscreen!
Not in my game.. If you just click in space it'll turn off autopilot and follow the mouse (briefly). Annoying because it means when I want to get info on an object on my screen moving fast, I have to be careful not to miss otherwise I have to give my ship it's orders again.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sun, 13. Jun 10, 12:43

Hmm, I'll agree with both of you. Sort of. :?

You can click and drag to move, but you definitely don't have to select something from the menu to do it!

However, in my game it certainly doesn't move with just a little click, I have to hold or drag. Maybe something with your mouse settings?
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

dctrjons
x4

Post by dctrjons » Mon, 14. Jun 10, 04:39

Find this annoying as well, I have no use for the LMB steering and as much as it usually doesn't affect me it does with certain auto-piloting. Will see if scripting guys can do it.

pongkan
x3tc

Post by pongkan » Mon, 14. Jun 10, 05:52

well technically, it's click and drag. but a lot of times when I click, my mouse moves a little. And Autopilot immediately disables :(

oh well. thanks for the response :)

dctrjons
x4

Post by dctrjons » Fri, 9. Jul 10, 00:32

Interesting, I will test my mice. For me a single click brings up the steering icon and disables AP.

Da-V-Man
x4

Post by Da-V-Man » Fri, 9. Jul 10, 00:37

I know what you mean. This can happen typically when you are trying to click on something on the screen, like the boxes that surround a ship. You miss it, maybe because the ship/your ship moved suddenly, and it cancels out autopilot.

I don't know of a way to turn it off. I doubt that you can.
These days I mainly just talk to plants and dogs,
all human contact seems painful, risky, odd,
so I stay acting god in my own X-Universe!

Wintersdark
x4

Post by Wintersdark » Fri, 9. Jul 10, 07:59

I don't know about click and drag. Maybe if you've got a really, really low res mouse.

ANY clicking on open space for me, even if a quick click, breaks autopilot 100% of the time, so if I miss something I'm trying to click on, autopilot ends.

Drives me nuts. I never, ever use that movement mode anyways, and would pay real money to disable it. It's a huge, huge pet peeve for me.

I'm often flying on autopilot (unlike many, I never have problems with smashing into things, even on 10x SETA) doing what have you and ordering my fleet about. Ships following me are a particular PITA, as their icons tend to wildly swing around as they move ever so slightly around the axis determining which edge of the screen their icon should be on.

dctrjons
x4

Post by dctrjons » Fri, 9. Jul 10, 23:42

-Yeah, it's just a click...mice and software changes make no difference.

Going to look myself to see if I can figure out if this is hard-coded or not.

Off-topic:
I'm sure this is computer dependent - but I've been using 10x SETA for some time, 200+ hours and thought I liked it fine.

Well, I've come to test 6x and I have found the benefits far more suiting to me (mainly with AI, and reacting to an accidental AP change). Not recommending the change, just stating you might be surprised that you like some of the other 'X'x settings better.

Ovni
xr

Post by Ovni » Mon, 10. Sep 12, 04:32

Wintersdark wrote:ANY clicking on open space for me, even if a quick click, breaks autopilot 100% of the time, so if I miss something I'm trying to click on, autopilot ends.

Drives me nuts. I never, ever use that movement mode anyways, and would pay real money to disable it. It's a huge, huge pet peeve for me.

I'm often flying on autopilot (unlike many, I never have problems with smashing into things, even on 10x SETA) doing what have you and ordering my fleet about. Ships following me are a particular PITA, as their icons tend to wildly swing around as they move ever so slightly around the axis determining which edge of the screen their icon should be on.
Two years later, this is still a problem and is driving me crazy :evil: , I don't understand while Egosoft ignored it even with Albion Prelude.

All I want is a way to use the mouse only to select objects and interact with menus, without any risk of accidentally steering the ship if I click empty space instead of my target. We can already rebind the key for toggling cursor follow mode (default: space bar); just let us also rebind the key that triggers cursor follow only while you hold it (default: left mouse button).

Blitz4
x4

Re: [x3tc] Can mouse follow mode during left-click be disabled?

Post by Blitz4 » Sun, 3. May 20, 11:03

So, yeah, this is an old topic, but this is what google pulls up for this question.

And here's the real answer:

Yes, you can disable that message when you hit the space bar. But it's more complicated than just changing a setting -- you have to edit one of the base xml files for your language, and find that string, and replace it with a space character.

For english, you have to edit the 0001-L044.pck file which is stored in one of the .dat files (dunno which one, but you don't need to know which one exactly). Use X3 Editor 2 to open /t/0001-L044.pck (in VFS mode), then go from there.

It's not *hard* to do (I did it), but it might be more difficult than many people can handle.

For other languages besides english, it's 0001-L0<something else>.pck, and pck files are compressed xml files. You could just save the edited one as an xml, but I decided to repack it (remember it needs to be in the t folder).
https://steamcommunity.com/app/2820/dis ... 934204360/

It's not hard to mod. This does not give you a **modified** game.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [x3tc] Can mouse follow mode during left-click be disabled?

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 3. May 20, 13:40

@ Blitz4: I have no idea who you are quoting and where from (not from this thread certainly), and this is a very old thread and not about modding - so <click>
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”