does x2 offer anything over x3?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kyoo
x4

does x2 offer anything over x3?

Post by kyoo » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 01:01

I started with reunion and got x2 in a bundle at some point but never played it because it looks like the same game but with older graphics and a more confusing ui.

The station interiors are cool, but is there much reason to go back to it instead of x3 besides nostalgia?

donzi
x4

Re: does x2 offer anything over x3?

Post by donzi » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 07:23

Unless you consider all X games only as trade and/or combat sandboxes then no, X2 is not just the same as X3:R with older graphics.

I suggest playing it's campaign. Using SETA it might be 15-20 hours (wild guess) but will still allow you to get a perspective of what was gained/lost in X3.

All the X games have different UI so X2's being confusing coming from X3:R is normal. X3:R to X3:TC or Albion Prelude, Rebirth, X4 or any combination of jumping around is going to demonstrate that the game UI differs each incarnation of X.

Goldfinch
x3tc

Post by Goldfinch » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 11:30

Mostly nostalgia, but there is something about X2's aesthetic I still find very appealing. Docking with stations, scrolling through the bulletin board for missions, it feels like X3 moved away from 'space adventurer' gameplay to focus on large scale and end game improvements.

I enjoy that too but I'm glad X4 is bringing back some small scale detail.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 17:45

"Looks the same", depending on how you look. All humans look the same too, don't they?

Is there any reason to play any game? :gruebel:

Same "world". (Almost) Same hard-coded generic BBS missions. Same Trade, Build, Fight, Think.

The UI is different. The graphics is different. (There were a lot of wailing when the X3 appeared, because of "No cockpits!")
The economy is different. The mobile mining is different. The weapon loadouts are different.
Docking. Nebulas. Monitors.

All those are minor details. If you don't see reason to play due to them, then there is none.

Challenge
Many players have praised the early game. How they start and play the initial "rags to riches" phase and then start a new game. Each run with some new twist, if possible. Making one run with X2 is definitely a twist from the run-of-the-mill X3R games. Most likely one with more (or different) challenge.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

kyoo
x4

Post by kyoo » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 06:27

jlehtone wrote:
Thu, 13. Dec 18, 17:45
Challenge
Many players have praised the early game. How they start and play the initial "rags to riches" phase and then start a new game. Each run with some new twist, if possible. Making one run with X2 is definitely a twist from the run-of-the-mill X3R games. Most likely one with more (or different) challenge.
Sounds like I'd enjoy it because I can't play x3 without starting in an m5 and modding the rep gain down to a quarter of what it normally is.

Goldfinch
x3tc

Post by Goldfinch » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 08:47

Give it a try. The control and menu layout is a bit different to the later games but most of the same elements are there, you should get used to it quickly.

Omini
x4

Post by Omini » Sat, 15. Dec 18, 16:44

I personally felt the combat was more difficult in X2. Plus X2 has cockpits. :D

X3 makes references to events from X2 so if you enjoy on understanding the references then it's a good experience.
amtct wrote:Don't quote this
I should be a journalist.

Tutorial On Selecting Single Mod Package

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”