Fav start

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Red-Spot
x3ap

Fav start

Post by Red-Spot » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 17:07

Just wondering what start people like to play when not going for achievements like DiD.

I find myself always, when possible, returning to the 'humble merchant' start. Allowing me to choose on the spot if I want to start as trader, explorer, 'minor combatant' or any combination of. Also, I favor the Argon, have done so in every campaign I played since X2 and probably will be doing so since the Terrans are dumb, as expected ;)
'Ignoramus et ignorabimus'

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: Fav start

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 17:15

personally i prefer working my way up from nothing, so i do the Suicidal Squid start (and disabled DiD).
Its one of the harder starts, starting with one of the worst ships thats useless at pretty much everything

AleksMain
x3tc

Post by AleksMain » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 18:22

I prefer starts named 'hard' and 'pretty hard', because they give us some challenge.

I have described some of them in the following topics:
Poisoned Paranid start scenario (X3:Albion Prelude)
Tormented Teladi start scenario

Here is one of my earlier beginnings:
X3 TC V2.71 Argon Patriot start

nponoBegHuk
x4

Post by nponoBegHuk » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 19:42

Poisoned Paranid for me, Overtuned Hyperion botting included.

After finishing TC game I will try the Kha'ak start in Reunion, as well as Steam DiD in AP for achievements.
Fast sector selection on the Universe Map | Rock locations for Mobile/OOS mining | Botting for max speed Hyperion | Complete list of ship sources | Capturing smaller ships

My current ship collection:
11 out of 11 *retired* ships found
17 out of 17 *unique* ships found
9 out of 9 *limited* ships found
16 out of 16 *rare* ships found

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 21:14

I usually go with 'Nostalgic Argon.' Starts out with uniformly neutral rep settings so can be worked into an alliance or a war with anyone, and is in my opinion the weakest possible starting ship so there's never a feeling of having "head started" anything.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Le Boron Chétif
x3ap

Post by Le Boron Chétif » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 16:40

I'm more of a Humble Merchant too myself. Ever since X2, I've settled for fewer but longer play-throughs in which I basically end up building and collecting everything there's to own, and as you pointed out, HM is a good balanced start for that.

The harder starts do sound appealing though, for the thrilling first few days of struggle... Though once you become rich & powerful enough you have no choice but to revisit things you've already done before. Or perhaps I just don't RP hard enough.
:boron: Blub?

Red-Spot
x3ap

Post by Red-Spot » Fri, 22. Mar 19, 14:19

I find HM to be hard enough depending on how you play it :)
Can still remember very well I reached the east side of the Uni in my halfbaked Disco with just 1 shield and no weapons, took a follow mission. Tried to outrun the incoming Disco for 5 sectors before he finally got the better of me .. awesome :D
'Ignoramus et ignorabimus'

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Fri, 22. Mar 19, 16:48

My favorite starts are generally either Humble Merchant or else Pious Paranid, which give you similar situations from opposite perspectives. In either case, I generally end up on decent terms with both races.

My third favorite would be Poisoned Paranid, which isn't really that difficult once you figure out how to strafe-drive out of the initial sector without getting killed. Once out, you can trade with Split/Boron or whoever, and I generally make my way to Argon space and do the main plot for a while. By the time that gets wrapped up, I've generally got more than enough cash to pay off the medical bill and collect the over-tuned Hippie Van, as well as the Advanced Perseus Prototype waiting along with it. At that point, I usually fly the Perseus (if I'm not already flying the non-over-tuned abandoned one) and stash the Hyperion as a trophy.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 22. Mar 19, 17:58

Le Boron Chétif wrote:
Thu, 21. Mar 19, 16:40
Ever since X2, I've settled for fewer but longer play-throughs
The extreme version of that is that there is exactly one playthrough for each game.
Then, by definition there is no "favourite"* but "the one and only"** start.

* "Favourite" is something you like more that the other that you have experienced. Isn't it odd to state that "this is my favourite life", if you live only once?

** Parallel question is how to choose the one and only? For the record:
X2: Did not know anything about the games -- with plot
X3R: Extreme, for it had the "plot"
Xbtf: choices, choices
XT: skip
Rebirth: skip
X3TC: Goner
X3AP: Nostalgic
X4: not yet

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”