Old wolf back in the game

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

perceval
x3

Re: Old wolf back in the game

Post by perceval » Sun, 1. Nov 20, 18:57

Yeah, thanks a bunch for all the tips. Do you know if tht GOG version has less problems than the Steam version? Perhaps I'll turn towards that alternative...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 1. Nov 20, 19:17

They should be identical in game file terms apart from GOG not using the Steam redirect exe and DRM obviously.

There's possible use of different versions of standard libraries, although I don't know about that for sure.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

perceval
x3

Post by perceval » Wed, 4. Nov 20, 04:19

OK, I managed to get it working in the most recent Windows 10 build. I have tried so many combinations for compatibility settings, that at some point out of desperation, I finally bought the GOG version (a big 2$ !) to check if I could have better luck. After playing a while once again with some settings, I found THE setup that works for me. So if some of you feel a draft of nostalgia and ever want to to give X-Tension a spin, you can try this. I've tested it in both, Steam and GOG versions and this procedure works just fine.

Those who like me, have a 1440p monitor (mine is 3440x1440), may find it to be an exercise in frustration but this recipe should work for you as well. Here are the steps to follow:

1- Compatibility settings must be the same for BOTH executables, runme.exe AND X-TENSION.exe.
2- In the compatibility settings tab, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for" : Windows 98 / Windows Me
3- In the compatibility settings tab, check "Reduced color mode" : 16-bit (65536) color
4- Set your desktop resolution to 1920x1080 (NO, 1920x1440 or 2560x1440 does not work ; at least for me)
5- Start the game and un-check "Use settings"

The game should start normally. You can then set the settings you like. However, I noticed 2 things :

1- The sound settings panel does not want to close if I ever open it. I must close the application.
2- I read a post from someone who claimed to be able to play at any "desired" resolution. As far as I'm concerned, and as opposed to X-BTF, there's nothing higher than
1280x1024 available in the resolution dropbox. So I'd like to know how if possible, I could play in 1440.

Thanks everyone who offered some advice through this cumbersome process. Much appreciated and see ya all in Argon Prime! :mrgreen:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”