Which game offers a Privateer-like experience?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

canuck97

Which game offers a Privateer-like experience?

Post by canuck97 » Mon, 28. Dec 20, 11:20

Hello there,

I've just bought the X3 Terran Conflict pack which includes Terran War and Albion Prelude. I've also bought X: Rebirth some time ago (but wasn't able to try it out yet). In my childhood days I loved to play Privateer. Now I was just wondering which of these games comes closest to this experience? Since I'm a total X newbie (obviously) I'd like to chose the "right" game for me from the start. From what I've read in the forums the X3 series goes far beyond the original Privateer gameplay which mainly consists of trading and combat - but with a single (your) ship. Is it possible to play like that in X3 anyway (and through the whole game)? Or is it necessary to build factories, fleets and so on?

Thanks ahead for any reply!

canuck

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Re: Which game offers a Privateer-like experience?

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Tue, 29. Dec 20, 21:28

It's basically a sandbox game. You can play how you like. But you will miss out a lot of content if you want to restrict yourself to one ship. On the other hand, as a newbie this isn't a bad approach. Just because you limit yourself now doesn't mean won't try other stuff later.
As for which game to start with my recommendation would be TC. It's in many respects better than Reunion but also more complex. But most of the complex stuff doesn't affect the playstyle you want. But the UI is a bit better IMHO.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Fulgrymm
x4

Post by Fulgrymm » Wed, 30. Dec 20, 00:39

I'd say give Rebirth a shot, since you're limited to your one ship anyway. Although trading will still require separate freighters that are piloted by NPCs.

canuck97

Post by canuck97 » Wed, 30. Dec 20, 22:20

Thank you very much for your advices. I'll try both titles (X3 TC and Rebirth) and will see which comes closer to the experience I'm looking for.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”