Covert missions failing in TC

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

TerranJedi

Covert missions failing in TC

Post by TerranJedi » Wed, 12. Jul 23, 19:13

I don't know if this should go in the tech support forum (if so, please move it there) but thought I'd ask if anyone else has run into an issue when doing covert missions where once you identify the target, the ship stops moving and then after a minute or so just vanishes, causing the mission to fail. I didn't get too close (stayed 10-15km away). Only thing I can think of that might have triggered this behavior is while doing one covert op (I think it was for OTAS), after entering the sector I jumped to another gate in that sector to get closer to the target without having to fly across (pretty sure it was Akeela's Beacon). When I got close enough to ID the target, the mission started and just as quickly ended with the ship vanishing.

I had done several covert ops successfully prior to this event, and have only had a small percentage of covert ops not fail in this manner since.

Didn't know if there was some fix or anything I could do, or if I should just not worry about it and carry on as best as possible.

Vanilla TC game

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Covert missions failing in TC

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 12. Jul 23, 22:01

There have been lots of reports of this type of behaviour over time, and not with any definitive answers. Some unproven theories include:

The destination station has been destroyed (usually in the case of Pirate Bases), removed as surplus by the GoD engine, or is not allowing that ship to dock for some reason.
The ship has to go through a sector that its AI will not allow it to do (eg a hostile sector).
The ship doesn't know how to get to the destination (common with mods and map changes).
The ship 'remembers' much later on that you got too close or too far away after a jumpgate transit.
It's the hard or very hard missions that suffer the most as they have further to go.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

TerranJedi

Post by TerranJedi » Wed, 19. Jul 23, 18:50

Those all seem like logical reasons. Thanks for the insight.

TerranJedi

Post by TerranJedi » Tue, 25. Jul 23, 21:12

I did get another one where they just sat there after IDing them. I aborted the mission and it didn't dock me any reputation, so at least it isn't going to slow me down whenever it happens in the future

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”