[X2] CTD when viewing specific objects?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

bravoman
x3ap

[X2] CTD when viewing specific objects?

Post by bravoman » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 15:34

Hi. I have a weird bug and was wondering if anyone experienced the same.

Basically I have an old save game I'm continuing. No mods other than what's included in the GOG version of the game.

Whenever I target (in-sector) this one specific SPP I built (President's End, if that matters), X2 crashes.

I can fly to it. I can view it on the sector map, I can modify its trade settings, etc. while out of sector but in-sector, X2 just dies on me.

Any other SPP or factory, I can target fine in-sector. I'm tempted to just blow up the thing and rebuild it but the programmer in me is just dying to know why the CTD happens.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [X2] CTD when viewing specific objects?

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 16:44

Link the vanilla X2 save and somebody else can see if it has the same issue in their game and/or maybe see what has gone wrong. It sounds as though that asset model may have become corrupt or has a situation that the game cannot cope with. You may end up having to destroy and replace it if you want to play on from that save without issues if that is the case.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

bravoman
x3ap

Post by bravoman » Mon, 22. Apr 24, 13:39

Hi,

I've tested a bit more and it seems to be not related to the SPP (just the one that triggered it most).

For more information, I'm running Windows 10 64-Bit and the GoG edition of X2. I tried to switch to Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode and now I'm getting a more "verbose" error.

Each CTD now comes with a windows Pop-up with this message:

---------------------
|X2 x|
| |
| File not found |
| |
---------------------

I'm going to try re-installing X2 to see if that solves it.

bravoman
x3ap

Post by bravoman » Wed, 1. May 24, 14:47

Still haven't nailed down the root cause but at the very least, I suspect it's the 64-bit nature of Windows 10.

On a 32-bit XP machine, I experience no issues whatsoever. However, 64-bit Win10 (using the exact same save file and GoG installer) has issues. Specifically, exiting a game (either due to death, re-loading, or quitting) freezes the whole application. The CTD is likely related to the same 64-bit issue in my mind.

Oh well, as long as I can play, I can tolerate the random CTD and lock-ups. Love me some classic Argon M2s.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 1. May 24, 15:42

Make sure that your game already has all the X2 patches applied in the release by GOG as 1.4 added in some changes to benefit x64 users. What version does your game say it is?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”