Are there mods or fan made patches for the first 3 games?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Chrushev
x3ap

Are there mods or fan made patches for the first 3 games?

Post by Chrushev » Mon, 30. Mar 15, 20:22

Hi guys, I am wondering if there are texture packs or mods or fan made patches to beautify or improve the first 3 games (BtF, Xtension and X2) ? I believe starting with X3 modding became popular, but am wondering if there is anything for the first 3?

I have Steam versions of all the games, so I believe it automatically has all the official stuff in.
Click for stats: XBTF

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 30. Mar 15, 20:26

Moving to where you may find some answers at least. I gather that the two very early games were not really made with ease-of-modding capability in mind, unlike the later games. Some tried a later revamp of the early game without too much success.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ACE0

Post by ACE0 » Wed, 8. Apr 15, 18:18

Actually the X2 - The threat was pretty moddable and there are texture overhaul mods for sector backgrounds, or asteroid textures, also there are conversion mods, P.X.D. mod as an example, or Firelance mod, both mods are for X2 - the threat.
There are also different cockpit mods, turret cockpit mods are my favorite.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 8. Apr 15, 22:01

I think with "the two very early games" Alan meant X: Beyond the Frontier and X-Tension, which didn't really support modding. Since Alan moved this topic to the X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding forum and we have several mod overview topics here, I think it's without doubt that you can mod X2. ;)

As for X:BTF and XT, while modding wasn't official supported from what I read, there were still some .exe mods for XT. Finding them, however, is not surprisingly not very easy seeing how old XT (older than this forum) actually is. The only things I could find are some kind of mission mods offered on this website. The download links still seem to work, but I can't tell you anything about the mods.
There were also recently some Russian/Ukrainian guys posting in the Technical forum here about a problem with a mod for XT they made. There even seems to be an English version, see this post (external forum) for reference.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Chrushev
x3ap

Post by Chrushev » Wed, 8. Apr 15, 22:52

That Russian mod looks pretty incredible! They added all X2 and X3 sectors to X1? WoW!

I was actually looking for maybe a mod that updates the game without changing the original content (no adding stuff etc). But nonetheless this mod is pretty crazy!

I am going to paste from that forum here so that if anyone stumbles upon this and that forum is down they'll know what we were talking about:
Mod based on original game 001.obj English version. Link - https://yadi.sk/d/QeSKCzY-eFfop
Designed for packed game version 2.1a and 2.2 and also Steam version.
Not compatible with any localization.

Features:
1. Extended map including sectors from X2 and X3 and also new sectors originally created by aL144
2. New music tracks in sectors
3. Due to limitations in last patch version 2.2 had to remove links between sectors on galaxy map to maintain mod's operability. 00749.bod was used without sector interconnection info.
4. Mod language English. Translated poorly, better translation is being prepared.
5. English voice-over.
6. Savegame added in Argon Prime

Bugfixes since last version:
1. Moved coordinates of hostile pirates and xenons in start sector.
2. Added one planet and one sun in sector Nathan's voyage
3. Ore mine now produces ore in Merchant Haven
4. Same with Wheatfarm in Wastelands
5. Added one planet and one sun in Turuk's Shadow
6. Ore mine now produces ore in Three fingers

Installation:
Copy files to the packed game folder and agree to replace files.
Click for stats: XBTF

HashtagMC
x3

Post by HashtagMC » Wed, 29. Apr 15, 17:13

Is it possible to unpack and re-pack X-BtFs .cat and .dat-Files with the EGOSOFt X²-Modding Tools?
My scripts' t-files use the namespace xx11xx (e.g 491101, 441101, ... )

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 29. Apr 15, 19:56

Yes, that's possible.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”