[TC] FROM NOTHING, A Rogue's Tale - Book I [COMPLETED]

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Thu, 8. Mar 12, 23:34

There is an option in the MARS command menu to allow One/Some/All AI ships to have MARS. One and Some will randomly select one ship, or a certain percentage to equip with MARS. All passes it out to everyone.

You know, while it suggests only giving MARS to capitals, a TM with MARS is obscenely destructive. It really is awe-inspiring.

And I'm just a PM away if you're trying to figure out CODEA. Usually you've just overlooked one little thing that's either not installed, or is installed that can't be and you've glazed over it because it's normal for ships you fly.

Buying ten brand new ships and then equipping them only for CODEA to refuse because you automatically bought them all SETA is really, really, FRUSTRATING!!!
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

wreckzors
x3tc

Post by wreckzors » Thu, 8. Mar 12, 23:51

hello! I just want you to know that even though I have been fairly quit for quite some time, I have never stopped reading this thread. Thank you for everything that you do and providing us with such an amazing story.

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Fri, 9. Mar 12, 00:03

You're very welcome Wreckzors. Thanks for reading. It's really good to see you're still around. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Thanks Triaxx. Yeah that was the answer I didn't like and thus chose not to hear. (Yes I am a selective listener. I confess to the crime. I have three ex wives who will be happy to tell you all about it. In detail. At length. With incident reports and detailed descriptions of the suspect. For as long as you let them. No really. For. As. Long. As. You. Let. Them.) I was hoping to give it to the Terrans but I guess a random 'Some' will have to do. 'All' strikes me as a bit much.

Regarding CODEA. TELL me about it. Any ship with SETA, Boost Extensions or Video Goggles is considered a player ship and not allowed into a hangar. I could throttle him for that one. Another favorite of mine (just happened to me) is when you've double and triple checked all nine of the fighters you've got docked against the list of required components and can't find a single reason why CODEA won't let them into a hangar before it occurs to you to check the carrier and finally discover that the new TL you've assigned the fighters to doesn't have a cargo life support system and thus can't be a CODEA carrier. But the reaction from the software is the same for any of the umpteen million other reasons it won't let you do something. It buzzes at you. There's no explanation. Just that obnoxious frakkin' buzzer.

Okay /rant. I'm done.
A Pirate's Story.pdf(KIA) by _Zap _ From Nothing.PDF(complete) by _Zap _ Prodigal Son(active) Original Thread, Prodigal Son_PDF

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Fri, 9. Mar 12, 01:04

Scion Drakhar wrote:ANYway. I've been trying to educate myself on both the IR option (thanks Kirlack) and the CMOD option (thanks Zaitsev) and ... I haven't even found the parts where either site talks about missiles.
My bad :p
You have to use the X3 Editor, open the CMOD .cat and rename the file named ___MDMK2_TMissiles.pck to TMissiles.pck. I discovered it by coincidence when I was fiddling around with aXeL's White Star mod.
And to add to the "fun" you might have to save it to the types folder to get it to work, as stuff in the types folder will apparently overrule the .cat files.
If you don't want to screw around with yet another program just PM me your email addy and I'll send it to you.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 9. Mar 12, 05:28

The truly funny thing though, is that carriers don't NEED CLS. If you use Personnel Transporters to put pilots on the fighters you don't need a CLS on your carrier. That's why I have an arming carrier with weapons, and shields and personnel. Then it delivers armed, fitted, and piloted ships wherever I need them. Only full fleet carriers, and fleet support ships, like my Supply Elephants get CLS and the other amenities for pilots. Not only does it simplify my chain of command, it makes it easier to arm fleets. It also means that at any particular moment I have the capability to completely rearm any carrier in my fleet from zero ships to full strength.

I suspect highly that Lucike is sitting in a cave, somewhere in Germany, twirling his mustache and laughing. With a German accent.

Worse still is that I gave a whirl to the CODEA version for Reunion, just for kicks. Good GODS is TC's version easier to work with. I.. I shudder at the thought of using the Reunion Version. Back then I stuck with the far less sophisticated, but much less complicated Anarkis.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Sun, 11. Mar 12, 22:27

Right, about time we stopped discussing mods and got down to the matter at hand! :p

Update time! :D

768-06-03 08:36

Ps'y was grinning like a fool as he and Edison stepped off the transporter pad. There was something about flying his turbo boosted Kestrel at over twelve hundred metres per second which just appealed to his inner lunatic. He'd even pulled a tight loop around the Credo et Amos engines. The huge destroyer had been holding position just a couple of clicks off the Last Words port side, and he thought he'd seen the tell—tale blue shimmer of a transporter beam between the two ships as they were on their initial approach. The loop had put a huge strain on his tiny ships inertial dampeners, even making Edison grip his seat tightly. Ps'y laughed to himself at the thought. When he saw Alex though, glaring at him from the bridge, with fury in her eyes and bitterness wrinkling her otherwise pretty face, his smile slipped. He knew he was in trouble even before she took her first step. She marched down the short corridor from the bridge to the transporter pad and slapped him, hard, right across the face.

“Bastard!” she raged at him.

“Ow! What the frak was that for?” he snapped at her with a glare, somewhat shocked that she'd just hit him, and with so much force.

“You bastard!” she said again, accompanied by a second, equally hard, slap. “I was in bed for fraks sake. It's not very often I get to spend any quality time with...” And just like that it made perfect sense. The Credo et Amo, the transporter beam, the beating he was receiving....he'd gone and done it to her again.

“With Lu.” he finished for her, giving her the most apologetic look he could muster. “Sorry Alex, really I didn't think...”

“No. You rarely do.” She was scowling at him, clearly miserable and spoiling for a fight, so he was on guard for another slap....but it didn't come. He could feel her raging in front of him. 'If looks could kill' he thought to himself 'I'd be a very dead Split.'

“So come on then, what do you need me for this time?” she seethed.

He sighed, and gestured towards the bridge. “Can we talk in your office?”

“No. You can bloody well say your piece right here and then get the frak off my ship!.”

“Oh Alex, come on, it's not like I intended to ruin your day.”

“I don't care! Every time I'm settling in you come along and screw it up for....”

ENOUGH!” roared Edison and the pair of them stopped and looked at the young Terran in stunned silence. “You two fight like brother and bloody sister!” he said, clearly exasperated.

For a few heartbeats they just scowled at each other, then she suddenly grinned and started chuckling, the laughter breaking the tension between them in an instant. He laughed along with her, and Edison was still stood between them, a thoroughly surprised expression covering his face.

“He's right you know.” she said, swatting the Split gently on the arm. “We do. I think we always have.” Ps'y grinned at her and nodded, relieved that she wasn't likely to hit him again. His face was still stinging. Edison was right though, they'd fought like siblings ever since Rak Gilano had paired them off. He baulked slightly at the thought. It felt like a lifetime ago they'd worked for Gilano. Hell, it felt like a lifetime ago that he'd met Drake. But for some reason he couldn't place, thinking about Gilano always put him on edge.

“Seems that way doesn't it?” he said, forcing a smile, before gesturing towards the bridge again.

“Sure. Come on.”

The three of them had settled into Alex's office and Ps'y was just about to light a joint when he caught her frowning at him.

“Right.” he said quietly and put it back into his pocket.

“Thank you.” she smiled. “So, what did you need to see me about?” Her eyes narrowed at the uncomfortable look that passed between him and Edison. “Ps'y.” He looked up at her and she could see the worry etched on his face. “What's wrong?” she asked softly.

Silently, he reached into his inner pocket and drew out the data crystal. “Your viewer working?”

“Of course it is. Why, what is that?” she asked, pointing at the small blue device in his hand.

“Trouble.” was all he said as he passed her the matrix. “Look at bookmark fifteen.”

As he and Edison watched she slotted the crystal into her viewer and scrolled through the bookmarks Ps'y had set. After a few seconds her eyes went wide.

“By Gunne...” she breathed.

“Yeah.” said Ps'y. “And that's not the half of it. It's not Legion Alex.” Even as he said it she was nodding, she'd paid close attention and could obviously see the cyborg on her screen was not the one she'd come to love.

“Where did you get this?” she half growled at him.

“Drake gave me it a few weeks back. Remember the Dragon that chased us out of Family Zyarth when we were on the run with Legion?” she nodded. He pointed at the screen. “Its captains memories.

“His memories?” For a second she had that same horrified expression he'd seen when they'd rescued Urmankontett. He nodded, a grim look settling on his face. This wasn't easy for her, he could see it. Even being in the same room with him reminded her of it, and it still hurt her. He understood, to a point. She'd never been a killer, always surviving on guile and stealth, or just plain running away. She couldn't do that now. This was a burden only she could carry. The weight of lost innocence. Suddenly he felt angry, and was gritting his teeth as he spoke.

“Yeah. Doc Boni has some sick machine that can extract the memory from a living brain and store it.”

"Cognitive stripping?" she raged at him. "Do you have any idea how invasive that kind of surgery is?" He just nodded at her, all too aware of what the surgery involved. The image of that Split, with bolts piercing his head and drool running down his uniform, still made him feel sick.

“Frak.” she hissed. “And the Admiral is willing to use this technology?” He nodded again.

“Only this once, at least as far as I know. The Dragon commander wasn't being very cooperative, so Drake asked Doc to get the information out of him.” She watched silently as Ps'y tried and failed to suppress an involuntary shudder. “Boni took him literally.”

“Has Legion seen this?” The question, like the earlier slap, was so unexpected it almost stunned him.

“What? No of course not!” She was glaring at him , and for a second he thought she was going to leap across the table to whack him, thought he saw that dangerous glint in her eyes, but she just sat back in her chair, staring at the screen for a few moments.

“No...no I don't suppose the Admiral would want to let him in on this.” she said softly, looking out the viewport at the sector beyond, at the Montalaar sun hanging in the distance. “Ok,” she said looking back at him. “Drake doesn't want Legion to know because his reaction would be an unknown quantity in the Admirals 'plans' , right? “ Both of them nodded slowly. “Ok, I can support that. But at some point Ps'y, Legion deserves to know. One way or another.”

She was still glaring at him, and this time the steel in her eyes was unmistakable. He'd seen that look before, more often than he liked. This was a contract now, a conditional act in their friendship. If he didn't follow through on the deal, she'd be gone. It wasn't the first time she'd done it and he just knew it wouldn't be the last. One way or another, he was going to have to .... how would she put it? 'Do the right thing.'

“Ok.” he said, fixing her with his own steeled eyes. “But not until the Admiral is good and ready to tell him. And Alex?” He said, holding up a finger to emphasize his point. “As much as you want him to know the truth of it, it's got to be on Drakes word. I swore on my honour that I wouldn't show this to Legion. I owe him Alex. I'm not prepared to let him down.” She nodded, and seemingly content with that, leaned back in her chair again.

“So. Why bring this to me now Ps'y? What are you thinking?” she asked calmly.

“I want to know if Njy has anything to do with this.” he growled. Edison glanced at him.

“Njy?” his first mate asked. “I thought this was about keeping Rhonkar off Drakes back Ps'y?”

“It is!” barked the Split, rounding on his young friend with a dangerous look in his eyes. “But if there's anything there that connects to Njy then it's something we can use to-”

“Actually....that would make a horrible kind of sense...” Alex said quietly, cutting him off.

Ps'ys head snapped back around and he fixed her with a dark look.

“What? What do you mean it'd make sense? His eyes narrowed threateningly. “Alex, what do you know?”

“Nothing...yet.” She looked him right in the eye for a moment, then clicked a button on the side of her viewer, lowering it into a horizontal position so they could all see it clearly. Calling up the galactic map she circled her finger around the Split sectors leading east from Family Ryk. “This is all Njy territory, right?” He nodded.

“Aye. Njy's Deception, Family Njy and Ghinn's Escape are all Njy turf. What of it?”

“Well, we know from the information Legion pulled off that Dragon you captured that Tkr are involved in the cover up of your...dismissal.” She looked up at him as she said it, and he could feel the rage burning in his own eyes. “See, I've done some digging over the last few weeks.. I may have been quiet, but I've not been idle.” He nodded again, not sure where this was going, but found he was thirsting for information. “I've been following Njy's finances Ps'y.”

“The old bastards money?” She nodded, once. “And?” he asked, struggling to keep the threat out of his voice.

“Well, that's the thing. According to the intel I've dug up, Njy's finances are in ruins. Some of that stems from Drake blasting the hell out of his assets, but most of it started before that.” She tapped the galactic map twice and typed something into her keyboard, calling up the sector map of Family Njy. “Look here.” she said, pointing at the screen. Ps'y and Edison leaned over and looked down at the map. The shipyard and equipment dock were highlighted in green, the many chelt aquariums in red and the scruffin farms in blue.

“What am I looking at Alex?” he asked looking back up at her.

“The green stations belong to Njy, so the shipyard and equipment dock. All the red factories belong to Family Tkr, the blue to Family Ryk.” She grinned. “Njy is selling off his assets. Well, actually, hiring them out would be a better description. But this is where it gets weird Ps'y.” He stared at her, his heartbeat rising rapidly. “He's not getting any money for them.”

“But you just said he was hiring them out.” remarked Edison. “How is he hiring them out if he's not receiving any payment for them?”

“Odd isn't it?” she said, looking right at Ps'y. “Njy is renting out these stations, but what's he being paid in return?”

“Stars!” Ps'y cried, his mouth agape as the realization hit him. “He's charging them in parts and labour!” She grinned at him.

“Not as dumb as you look, are you? If you're right, and right now that's still a pretty big if, then there should be a trail to follow. I'll need to take some time out and maybe fly out that way to investigate properly, but if there's something there to dig up, I'll find it.” He was staring at her.

“I thought you didn't like putting your ass on the line.”

“I don't, but for you, again, I think I can make an exception, don't you?” She winked at him slyly. “Brother.”

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Mon, 12. Mar 12, 00:05

Yay!

Excellent update, Kirlack :)
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 12. Mar 12, 03:31

I like discussing mods. So there.

---

"The room is dark."

"We're trying to be mysterious."

"Screw mysterious. I can't SEE."

"That's the point."

"What's the point."

"You can't see us. It looks mysterious."

"We just walked down the hall into the room together. I know what you look like."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Oh."

The third sentient in the room put his head in his hands. 'Humans.' He raised his hands in supplication as one of the other swore his way to the light switch. 'Oh patriarchs what have I done to be stuck with HUMANS?'

One of the voices utters a word ugly no matter it's language of origin then all three wait for the lights to hum to full brightness. The three figures are revealed as the lights arise, and none are precisely pretty. The Split in fact is uglier than average, thanks to a series of criss-crossing knife marks. Most other races would look and see a poor knife fighter. They would probably be terribly surprised in their last moments to know each scar is the mark of a victory without damage. He's known by the moniker 'The Blade' for his skill with a knife. Of course he's a modern Split and equally comfortable in the seat of a fighter, or even in command of a star ship.

The first of the two humans is tall and thin and bears scars similar to the Split, though his indeed are from close calls with knives. So much so that he prefers to shoot people from quite a long distance. In fact his moniker is the Sniper, though he understands the term is Marksman and he revels in correcting people. Often by lasering the message into the wall from several miles away, often through their heads.

The last is short and squat and yet no where near as ugly as the other two. In fact he might be down right handsome, were he not missing his left eye. Instead he manages to be Suave in place of it. Unlike the other two he's not a killer, but instead he's a conman. After all, other than scum, what name is there for a man who's spent his life leaving brides at the altar after they've spent thousands of credits on companies he owns to make it perfect?

Perhaps Dead Man, but only if they catch him. Instead his moniker is the wholly uncreative Casanova. However it as given by criminals, which by and large are not particularly adverse to stealing ideas, good, bad, or otherwise.

The three have been brought together for a contract. So far none of the three know what kind of contract, or on whom. And none are particularly happy about the presence of the other three. Worse still, not a single one of them have met their employer. This changes in a moment.

The door opens, this time admitting two people. One of these is a huge Asian gentleman, and one is a dainty Asian woman. The man appears to have a permanent case of indigestion, possibly from scaring his stomach into leaving the planet. The woman seems almost a blank, staring at the wall.

A moment later a third person enters, covered in a cloak. Hands rise and lower it. The man looks between the three, and turns to speak to the woman.

"These are your choices?"

"They are master."

"Very well." A folder appears from the jacket of the first enormous gentlemen. It's placed on the Table between the three. "This is a dossier on a man named Drake. Or at least that's what his 'friends' call him. He is a pirate. And he killed my daughter."

"Pirates kill a lot of people." The taller human noted. The bodyguard narrowed his eyes and flexed his fingers. The Split inhaled.

"Pardon my friend, he is an imbecile." The tall human glared at him, but said nothing.

"He is correct. However this pirate killed her by accepting her as one of his employees and putting her in danger. In return I want him to suffer. As much as you can make him. Do whatever you need to. Kill him when you deem he has suffered past the point of recovery. At that time you will be paid a sum of 200 million credits each, through accounts set up for the purpose."

"Plus expenses." The short human said. "I've heard talk of this guy. And he ain't gonna be easy to get to."

"Plus expenses within reason." Their employer nodded. "Keep receipts."

"Deal." they bowed.

"Miss Aiko will be your contact should you require assistance." he indicated the Asian woman. "Mr. Haziroomi will accompany her when you meet her. If I learn you have met her otherwise, I will reveal you and your mission to the young man. Are we understood?"

All three acknowledged quickly. "Very well. To the pain and death." They shared the toast.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Mon, 12. Mar 12, 10:15

Zaitsev wrote:Yay!

Excellent update, Kirlack :)
Thanks mate. I do love praise :D
Triaxx2 wrote:I like discussing mods. So there.
Me too actually, especially Lucikes. They're not user friendly, but they are very good ;)

The plot thickens? :D

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 12. Mar 12, 13:14

I hope so. I'm kind of making it up as I go. I intended to continue the earlier scene I'd done with the Split high command, but I was too lazy to find the original at the time.

Hey, while I'm thinking about it. Can anyone recommend the best way in X to earn 398 million credits as quickly as possible? Is stealing Capitals the best option? If so what kind. I despise trying to take carriers, but that's about the only limit I can think of.

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Mon, 12. Mar 12, 18:09

Awesome updates guys. I was planning on posting one of my own today but I'm afraid I had some trouble this weekend and for most of the past several days was little more than a couch potato.

Triaxx, the fastest way I know of to earn four hundred million in this game would be nividium mining. Find a good yield asteroid like the one in the Unknown sector north of A148, or south of Menelaus Oasis, or in Perpetual Sin and blast it to rubble. You'll probably need a nuke to crack the original but afterward you can use a laser to break 'em up. The smallest rocks won't shatter when you hit them with a laser but if you keep hitting them they'll vaporize and be gone.

Put twenty to thirty freighters plus one TL all with mineral scanners, ore collectors and special command software in the detritus of the Nividium asteroid collecting rocks. Usually I park a sat in the middle of the debris cloud and tell the TL to move to that position and have all the freighters follow the TL. I stuff a transporter beam on the TL and periodically have it collect all the nividium from the the freighters. When its full I send it to the nearest shipyard, buy cheap and completely unequipped freighters and fill 'em all with nividium. Then I sell 'em back for absurd profits.

Needless to say once you've powdered the asteroid the whole process goes a lot smoother with you OOS.

I also remember from 'Revenge' that you have a mod installed that makes the Nividium disappear after it's been collected. Not having that problem I don't know what to tell you.

Other than that I steal ships. Or used to. I haven't tried it now that I've installed MARS.
A Pirate's Story.pdf(KIA) by _Zap _ From Nothing.PDF(complete) by _Zap _ Prodigal Son(active) Original Thread, Prodigal Son_PDF

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 12. Mar 12, 19:47

Yeah, that's Lucike's prospector that does it. I still have some stashes, but I'm trying not to abuse them. Except for having a bunch on a ship for the HUB.

Actually, I'll even say that this is for the sequel to 'Revenge', so you can sit and wonder just what I plan on doing with that kind of money.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Mon, 12. Mar 12, 20:21

I smell a huge complex in the near future :D Smells like....missiles...and maybe a dose of....more missiles? :p

Lucikes Prospector script is really good, although I didn't realise it removes debris from the universe as they mine it.

Looking forward to Book 2 Triaxx! :D

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Tue, 13. Mar 12, 00:01

97. Shadows of the Past

768-06-04 08:45
"Cap'n?"

I opened my eyes and for a moment I didn't know where ... or even who I was. In those first moments in between bein' awake and bein' asleep I was someone else. The ghost of that word was still loud in my mind and I could see the person who'd spoken in front of me. It was Hayes, the captain of that Carrack we'd captured the other day, only he wasn't quite the way I remembered him. He was tied and bound to a chair the way he was the last time I'd seen him but he was both younger and less distinct, as if I was seein' him through a window covered in pourin' rain. He was starin' at me, both smilin' and scared at the sight of me. Then his eyes grew sad and he seemed to look through me and off into a distance I couldn't fathom.

"Ole Snake’s wily, Cap'n," he said. "Never know where he n' the Fortune might be.”

Strange how dreams can make your blood run cold. It took me a few moments but when I came to I realized I was lyin' on my back in Gin's bed. She was snuggled up close and still asleep in the crook of my arm. I could feel her breathin' against me. For a little while I just lay there, starin' into the dark and feelin' that dream scratch at my soul. I lay there tryin' to find my way through the shadows of my past and the depths of my subconscious to connect dots made across both time and space.

Somethin' was botherin' me. Somethin' just wasn't right. It was somethin' Hayes had said when I was interrogatin' him and it was makin' me itch.

"He's dead, kid," Hayes told me. "Died six, seven jazura past ..."

It was agony. I knew it was right there in my hand but I couldn't grasp it. Random memories stolen from a dead woman tumbled through my mind and Hayes was starin' at me like I was someone else. Then one of those facts that Giorno'd lived her life by floated to the surface and I was starin' at a report about my Dad. If I close my eyes I can still see the report in my ... in her hand. Scion Athan Drakhar .... Captain of the Good Fortune.

"Ole Snake’s wily," Hayes told me. "He n' the Fortune could be anywhere.”

And just like that it started to make a sick kind of sense. "Sunnuva bitch ..." I hissed into the dark.

"Drake?" Gin asked sleepily.

"Gil," I said, as if that explained everythin'.

She pushed herself up to look at me. "Your step dad?" I met her eye. She only had one eye open and was still blinkin' the sleep away.

"He's got my Dad's ship," I said.

"Huh?"

"Hayes said that Snake was wily and that he and the Fortune could be anywhere." She just watched me. "My dad's ship was named the 'Good Fortune.' That son of a bitch has my Dad's ship." She just held my eye, not understandin' the significance of what I was sayin'. "How the hell does he have my Da's ship?"

I was startin' to get to my feet when she caught my arm and made me look at her. "Wait. Slow down."

"Gin my Dad died over six jazura ago." She just stared at me. So I turned to face her. "Gil didn't leave Hayla and I until just three jazura ago."

Her eyes widened just slightly as she started to understand.

"Drake how do you know it's the same ship?"

"Because Hayes ..."

"Hayes?"

"Captain of the Carrack we captured," I said. "One of Gil's lieutenants."

She let go of my arm and I started pullin' my pants on. She nodded. "Okay ... ?"

I met her eye again. "When Hayes first saw me he actually mistook me for my Dad. He looked like he'd seen a ghost and called me 'Cap'n.' Later, when he was talkin' about the Fortune he was talkin' about my Dad's ship, a ship he'd worked on when my Dad was the captain." I stood up and buckled my belt below my navel. Then I looked at her again. "So how the hell does Gil Jerigan end up with my Dad's ship? And if he's been the Captain of the Good Fortune since my Dad died ..."

"Then why didn't you know about it?"

I just stared at her. She nodded. "Are you gonna ask Hayla?"

The question hit me like a bucket of ice water. I met her eye again. "I don't know."

She nodded. A moment later, still barefoot and bare-chested, I bound through the ship to my office. When I sat down in my chair the faux leather was cold on the skin of my back. I opened up my terminal and ignored the half dozen messages that had accumulated over night. Instead I began settin’ up search protocols and sendin' out spider programs to scour the net lookin' for any and all information about the Good Fortune, Scion Athan Drakhar ... and Gil 'Snake Eye' Jerigan. By the time I finished Gin had caught up ... and may the Gods bless her, she brought coffee.

"You okay?" She asked me.

I met her eye but for a moment I didn't say anythin'. "I don't know," I said finally. She handed me the coffee and I took it. I lifted it to my nose and inhaled. I'd found a good supplier recently and the quality of our coffee has improved dramatically. The smell was dark and warm. It filled my nose and for a moment all I did was savor the experience. Finally I took a sip and nodded. "Mmmm ... Oh that's good,” I said. “Thank you." I looked up and she was still watching me. "Sorry about the wake up," I said.

"What happened?"

"I don't know." I shook my head. "It was just in my head when I woke up. Hayes, Snake, the Good Fortune ... it's just ... it’s just considerin’ the character of who we're talkin' about it makes me wonder ... about a lot of things. How my Da died. Why Gil never told me he knew him ... or that he had a frakkin' warship."

"Wasn't your father killed by the Paranid?"

"That's the rumor."

"You don't believe it?"

For a moment I didn't answer. Then I glanced at the terminal's monitor and back to her. "It just seems to have worked out suspiciously well for Gil, doesn't it?"

She stared at me for a long moment. Then she lifted an eyebrow and asked, "Don't you have enough reasons to kill that man?"

"Aye," I nodded. "I do."

She watched me for a moment and I stared at the computer screen. Then she nodded. “But you still have to know the truth.” It wasn't a question.

I sipped my coffee. “Yeah,” I said and held her eye. “Yeah, I think I do.”

She nodded. “Okay,” she said. “I'll leave you to it then. I want to go check on Selek anyway and make sure he didn't break my ship while we were sleeping." I grinned at the statement and met her eye. For some reason her claimin' the Magus as her own felt really good to me.

"Thanks," I said.

"For what?"

"Whatever you like."

She gave me a crooked look before walking away lookin' amused. The hatch closed behind her and I turned back to my computer terminal. I stared at the feed indicators for my spiders for a few moments before openin' my mail. The first message was from H'nt.

H'nt has had the last couple of days to get used to the Guardian and hire pilots for all the fighters he currently doesn't have. This mornin' I got a letter in which he informed me that he, his crew and his ship are ready to get underway and actually start actin' like a carrier. In other words he wants me to actually give him fighters for all the pilots takin' up space on his ship. Which means I'm about to spend nearly three hundred million credits puttin' fighters on that Raptor. Yeeaah. I got to tell yah, I am NOT lookin' forward to what happens after the Guardian gets back in sector with sixty shiny new fighters and starts runnin' patrols and combat drills right in front of Cala Ma. For some reason I just don't think I'm gonna enjoy the conversation that follows.

Yeah. Okay, so ... despite havin' a grand reputation with the Yaki I don't feel comfortable sendin' my shiny, new, and relatively unarmed carrier into Yaki space. Edison has also informed Kleo Rana, who in turn informed me, that the Sirrush has been stuck in Ianamus Zura for the past week doin’ nothin’ but starin' at all my captured ships as they do nothin' but float dead in space and Ps’y's apparently losin' his mind with the boredom. So, seein as I need to do somethin' with those ships anyway, and seein' as I really need the money, I sent a message to the Tradin' Station tellin' 'em to send a Mistral over to the IZ shipyard. I sent another message to Fred Majors and the Rebirth Flame and one more to Gabriel and the Archangel. Fred’s gonna escort that Mistral over to Ianamus Zura. The freighter is gonna dock so we can unload the ships I decide to sell. Majors is then gonna relieve Ps'y and Ps’y is gonna return to Avarice to rendezvous with both the Guardian and the Archangel cuz I'm puttin' him in charge of coverin' H'nt's ass and Gabe's his backup. I don't think the Yaki would actually try anythin' ... but then I didn't expect the Terrans to come at me either and the Yaki are actually known for bein' cowardly backstabbin' bastards. So in the interest of keepin' dishonest people honest I think I’d prefer to be safe rather than risk bein' very sorry and a pair of fully armed Hyperion Vanguard Prototypes make excellent stupidity deterrents.

Ok. We’ve been accumulating an abundance of mosquito missiles, HEPTs, PACs, and Flail Missiles so I sent a pair of Mistrals up to OTAS to sell off our surplus. It won't make much of a dent in what Cala Ma wants from me but every little bit helps. I've also scheduled a meetin' with the captains of the ships I intend to bring with me when I hit the pirates. So far that looks like Lucifer, Cai’t Ct’ic, Malcolm Roberts, Z'ppt, Ea't s'Quid and Ch't F'rst. The idea is to bring 'em all up to speed on what's gonna happen when the last of my marines finish trainin'. My marines, Pico Rider and Toki Fisty, have both been cleared for active duty and were returned to the Magus a few minutes ago. Latasha Seldon is also awake and accordin' to the doctors she's been askin' a lot of questions that they don't have the answers to, specifically about Slamer. So right now we're on our way back to Avarice so I can pay her a visit.

One of the last messages was from Alex Murray. It was a report on everythin' she'd learned from the pirate ships so far. Nothin' to point me directly at Gil but there are references to a contact in the Argon Military that I found interestin'. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that Gil has a few members of the border control in his pocket. There were references to the IFF id of an Argon Military HCP operatin' out of the Federal Argon Installation in Black Hole Sun. Now pissin' off the Argon Military is not at the top of my to do list by any stretch, but the notion of havin' a chat with somebody that might know where Gil is, not to mention addin' another of those shiny Heavy Centaur Prototypes to my fleet ... well, that just might be a bit too much temptation for me to turn down.

You know I can't help but think that unlike Hayes Gil knows exactly who I am. "Information is everythin'." It was practically a mantra with him. I'd bet good money that Gil's been aware of me and my crew for some time now. Stars! I'm not gonna be able to let this go until I know the truth. How the hell did that sunnuva bitch end up with my Dad's ship?

Frak!

You know I think on some level I've been hopin' that when I find him he'll have an explanation for all of it. Leavin'. What happened to Hayla. Not contactin' us. You know: all of it. I mean he was the closest thing to a father I ever had. After all the abuse I'd suffered at Leo's hands Gil was ... well he was almost kind. He was nice to me. He'd make me laugh and feel cared about. He brought me with him when he conducted his business. He seemed to be proud of me when he spoke to others about me. He was good to me, you know? But the more I find out ... the more I learn about the past ... I mean how did Gil end up with my Dad's ship? And if he's been the Captain of the Fortune since my Dad died, since before Hayla first took me in, well, that just raises all sorts of questions don't it?

Aaah, hell. This is gonna drive me crazy. I think Gin's right. I'm gonna have to ask Hayla ... but what the hell am I gonna ask Hayla? 'Have you been lyin' to me since the day you took me in?' 'Did you know that Gil has my Dad's ship?' Frak. If she did know ... I don't even want to think about it. I don't know how not to think about it. If she did I ...

Frak. It's a bit early to start drinkin' but that's just what I want to do right now. Cuz on the one hand she's been lyin' to me about ... about somethin' important. I mean that's not a little white lie. On the other hand if she didn't know I'll be tellin' her that Gil has lied to the both of us ... for a long damn time.

Bloody hell. I really want a frakkin' drink ...

768-06-04 10:03
Well I seem to have decided that ten hundred is sixteen hundred somewhere. I think if this day continues the way it's been goin' I'm gonna be drunk before dinner. Frak.

I went to see Seldon. I'd never noticed before but she's actually really small. Most of the time she's so big, you know? So loud. Her voice can fill the entire ship and whenever she's in the room she'll just take over. So I guess it was easy to miss that she's actually kinda little. Lyin’ there in that bed over on the Endless she looked like nothin so much as a sick little kid. Her skin is still so pale and by contrast her hair and eyes were so dark. When I first walked up I didn’t even recognize her. I looked right at her and then asked a nurse where I could find her. When I followed the nurse's finger and looked back Tasha'd opened her eyes and was lookin' right at me. Then she flashed that obnoxious grin of hers at me and I couldn't help but smile back.

"Hey, sir," she rasped as I stepped up to her bed. "You came to visit me." Her voice was thick and weak and after she spoke she coughed, but even so she sounded touched.

"Easy there, Gunny," I said. "Don't hurt yourself."

"I think that's already been taken care of, sir," she said, still grinnin' at me.

"Yeah," I said. "I suppose so, huh?" I'd brought a box of chocolates with me and held it up and waggled it for her to see. Her eyes lit up and her smile became a little softer. I set it down on a table beside her bed. Then I rested my hands on the safety rail that'd keep her from fallin' out a the bed if she had a seizure or somethin'. She looked at my hands and I saw her go back there, to that moment when we were side by side in the dark ... both of us just knowin' we were about to die. A moment later she looked up and met my eye again.

"That was some pretty hairy shit huh, sir?"

I nodded. "Yeah it was."

"I think I owe you a thank you for ..." she started.

"You don't owe me a damn thing, Gunny."

"If it wasn't for you I'd be dead, sir."

"Right back atcha," I said. "You took those bullets savin' my scrawny ass, remember?"

She looked me up and down rather lewdly. Then she smiled at me. "I don't know, sir. Back when were all on the Destiny, maybe, but I wouldn't call you scrawny these days."

I chuckled. "Flattery will get you everywhere, Gunny."

“That’s what they say.” She met my eye, still smilin’. "So when are you gonna let Slamer off the hook so he can come visit me?"

My smile slipped. She was lookin' me dead in the eye as it happened. In retrospect I'm pretty sure she set up. No one would give her a straight answer so she played me to get the truth. I got to watch as the tears formed in her eyes. She was still smilin' at me.

"Seldon," I said and she looked away. "Tasha ... I am so sorry ..."

That smile was downright disturbin'. The tears spilled over her cheeks and she was still smilin'. I took her hand and squeezed and that smile never wavered.

"Thank you, sir," she said, noddin'. "Thanks for comin' to see me. I really appreciate it."

"Seldon ..." I started, but she pulled her hand away and held it up between us. I watched all the muscles in her face tighten up and she bit her lower lip. She bit it hard. I nodded. "If you need ... anything ... just tell the nurses. I'll make sure you get it." She nodded and covered her mouth with one hand. When I turned and started to head back the way I came I felt like a complete shit. I still do. I did stop at the nurses station and inform them that I wanted Seldon taken care of and that I wanted to be kept up to date on her condition. Then I head back toward the lift. Gunny t'Kt was waitin' for me outside the ward. He'd been stopped by a nurse on the way in who refused to let him onto the ward while he was carryin' all the hardware he had on him. I'm pretty sure it all bothered her but the grenades were probably the deal breaker. I met his eye. "Gunny I want you to stay with her for a while," I told him.

He raised an eyebrow at me.

"We're gonna be in the sector for most of the day .... and I think she could use a friend ... one that isn't me.”

He stared at me for a moment. Then he nodded once and stepped past me. After he'd gone I stood there starin' at the call button for a few moments. I didn't press it. I just stood there and thought about Aaron Slamer clappin' me on the shoulder and shakin' my hand as he told me that my abilities had improved, or smilin' and laughin' with his mates, or givin' Seldon a hard time ... or carryin' her to bed and bouncin' her head off a wall. Then, finally, lyin' in halves with his mouth open and his intestines spread out over several square meters as he gasped for a breath he'd never take. I’m pretty sure that image will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Bloody hell. I don’t even know if anyone’s started putting together a service yet. I’ll have to check with Kleo. You know I ... I’ve actually lost count of how many of my people I’ve sent off. Thirty? Forty? I don’t know anymore. What really scares me is that it’s only been a few wozura since I was on the streets of Old City. How many deaths will I be responsible for after a jazura? Ten? Sometimes I can’t believe how much has happened and how much is about to happen. I mean in a few mizura I’m gonna beam over to the Typhaon to meet my war council. In the meantime I’m gonna finish this glass of whiskey and ... try to remember the faces of all the people I’ve lost.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 13. Mar 12, 03:19

Oooh, nice plot twist.

Ea't: Split hungry. Hungry fro vengeance. For war. For SNACKIES!

Ah hem...

And it's actually a surprisingly small amount of missiles. I'm finding I expend more ordinance capturing ships than I do destroying them. Perhaps because I field such large carrier wings.

Expect a more story related post in the morning.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 13. Mar 12, 18:18

Okay, this is probably going to be terrible since it's a second draft. So bear with me. The computer lost the original.

"I hope you know I have other important things to do." Njy's chosen representative said.

"Yes, we know all about your financial issues and the leasing of stations to other families." Rhonkar's chosen council head said. He shook his head. "It is hoped your plan succeeds. But if not, this meeting will discuss alternatives."

"I did not realize it was common knowledge."

"Yes, we knew that as well."

The door opened to admit two other Split. One was a short, squat Split warrior, who was Tkr's chosen representative. He marched to the center of the floor, placed his palm on the hilt of his Jatra, and gave a ser'kavi first to the chosen representative of Rhonkar, and then to the Rhonkar family flag. He took his seat.

The other was a long, lean Split woman, who walked to the center of the room, and gave a single ser'kavi, combined with a bow to the representative. The two lesser representatives started. Either gesture alone was one of respect, one native to Split, one acquired from the humans. Combining both meant that there was more than simple respect.

"Now that we are all here." Rhonkar rapped his gavel. "The phantoms continue to be an issue. How is the idea of..." Tkr's representative exploded.

"There will never be peace between Tkr and that monster. Or his commander."

"So you've said. Then we will speak of war." He turned to the female. "You both know commander Vo'l'nt."

"Uniquely suited to discuss the situation due to her brothers being members." Njy sneered. She turned and smiled at him.

"Yes, indeed. But you see, that gives me advantage. I know what some of them are going to do. Unlike you, who seem unable to predict beyond being hit. Again." she smiled wider. Njy cringed away. Neither of the others could blame him.

"Now, where was I. Ah. We have managed to acquire through probes, information on the location of the Black Queen and her Shark."

"I thought they were destroying any ships that entered." Tkr interrupted.

"Yes, they were, except for Transports, which are what we have been sending. We've been doing a booming business in Space Fuel for the past few days." Rhonkar spoke. "You did not know because it was discussed at a private meeting."

"Indeed. And even though the Shark is not in Avarice, it was easy to track, because it IS a big empire. And so people move from point to point and talk, because it's hard to hide a shark, no matter how much effort you put into it."

"The one being guarded by your brother."

"Yes, though I suspect it requires as much guarding from him as he does guarding it from others." she smiled slightly. "His name is not after all, just a moniker." she glanced to each representative and then continued. "However, there is some traffic amongst the fleet, which suggests that the Osan'gar may be preparing to move away."

"How do you know?"

"We do not, but there was a sudden increase of communications between the Osan'gar and other fleet assets. It was encrypted, but I suspect movement."

"Was it decoded?"

"Of course not, we are not fools. We saw what happened to the Terran's. No, we have a passive beacon just outside the gate to pick up comm traffic in and out of the sector." she shrugged. "It was tagged with the Osan'gar's signature and it was the only coded transmission leaving the sector."

"So you think there maybe an opportunity to attack when the Osan'gar moves away?"

"I believe it would be the best course of action." Tkr's representative snorted.

"Such concern you show for your brother." Vo'l'nt swung around on him, hand on the hilt of her Jatra.

"That sounds like a challenge. If you mean it, I will happily meet you on the field of honor, and dispute your claim. Or rather, I will meet Tkr on the field of honor, because as you represent him, you make such a challenge in his name. And after I have killed him, I will have you ejected into space for stupidity, and it will be the last act of family Tkr. For I will restore my family in it's place, and we will make peace with these Phantoms."

"O-of course I didn't mean it as a challenge."

"No, of course you did not. You are not that great a fool." she turned back. "Ea't is a warrior, born and bred in the finest traditions of the warrior. He rose from a Jaguar to wreak havok on the Boron. And you question the wisdom of waiting until he breaks his guard to attack him?" She looked to Rhonkar.

"Tell them."

"We have through means undisclosed, acquired footage from the attack on Jupiter by the Phantoms. Ea't himself lead the attack. The footage shows him alone engaging and destroying a terran defense fleet."

"So?" Njy asked.

"Terran defense fleets are roughly the same size and firepower as one of our attack fleets." Njy started.

"That was simply the initial wave, he cleared the way for the remainder of the fleet to jump in and they wiped out the remaining Terran ships."

"Remaining ships? I thought Osan'gar destroyed the entire fleet."

"Yes and no." she answered. "Yes, he destroyed the entire fleet. No, that wasn't all the ships. Indeed, there were several fleets, all defense fleets. But they also destroyed the entire civilian population. I suspect that was just the sheer number of missiles fired, and not any intentional malice however."

"That's somewhat horrifying." Njy noted.

"Indeed, in particular the consideration of just how few civilian casualties we've seen." Tkr agreed.

"Then it seems it would behoove us not to kidnap the admiral, wouldn't you agree." Vo'l'nt commented. All three representatives nodded fervently.

"I believe that once the Osan'gar and it's attendant corvettes have pulled away, we will be able to enter and destroy the Shark before they can return to rescue it."

"I concur." Rhonkar nodded. "As does my family. So there is only one piece of other business. Rhonkar has made it clear that he wishes peace with the Phantoms. In his words: 'The universe is sliding closer to war. While we have trained for war, and warriors we are, too long have we been at peace and so when this new war begins inevitably, we must, we have no CHOICE, we must have as many neutral powers, if not allies as we can. You will work towards a solution.' He spoke that himself."

"There cannot be peace with that monster! Or his employer." Njy snapped.

"No chance exists!" Tkr followed on.

"I told him you would say that. This was his response." Rhonkar pulled a small recording device out of his pocket and placed it on the podium. It played at his touch.

"You have asked for and received the protection of the Rhonkar dynasty. This protection only extends to your enemies. If you make an enemy of Rhonkar, you will not only find out that there is no protection from those you have now, but that soon there will be no Families Tkr or Njy. And you will be replaced by lesser families who understand respect and loyalty.

There will be peace, whether it is with Families Tkr and Njy, or over the bones of Families Tkr and Njy, it will happen."

"So your course is clear. One or the other." Rhonkar banged his gavel again.

This session is ended.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 15:41

Oi, 36 hours out due to failed ISP, and I come back to find two great updates!

Scion, I know I said it to you in PM, but I love that post. That bit in the hospital...the mental image I got of that was heartbreaking. Great stuff mate :D

Triaxx2! :D So much to work with...so many ideas :lol: I'm gonna have a think and will PM you as soon as my ideas settle into something coherent :)

I love this thread :D

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 16:51

I will be eagerly awaiting your thoughts.

Sylthos
x3tc

Post by Sylthos » Thu, 15. Mar 12, 04:16

This one pretty much wrote itself. I actually had to stop myself writing because I went on for too long. I like when that happens.

------------------------------------

Everybody was standing in stunned silence. Tabs and Mister angry yell-y lizard guard were both staring at Luna unable to comprehend what she had just said. Several of the other Teladi guards started to gather around windows as some of the Tomahawks had delayed explosions. Luna still wore her smile.

“We’re about to die, you know.”

“How?” Tabs ventured a little unsteadily.

“Your minefield, would you say it would destroy anything that went through it, barring my counterpart’s ship?”

“Without a doubt-?”

“Even the most heavily armed destroyers?”

“C-c-certainly.”

“So you don’t quite understand that this station, the one that we are in right this second, slowly meandering into your omnipresent minefield of guaranteed overkill of mythical proportions might be a tad concerning?”

The look on Tabs’s face clearly stated that he was in fact very concerned, yet he just did not want to believe. Mister lizard guard understood the situation as well, so did the others that had gathered by the window, and began conferring with Tabs. The topic seemed to be how to save the station and not running for their lives. They for some reason appeared to be more terrified of losing the station then of dying. Teladi, maintaining profits until the bitter end.

“Ugly, grab your gun.” Luna whispered to me. “Is it still loaded?”

I looked over at her, she would know better than me if it was still loaded. My walking stick was leaning against the side of the couch, dangerous end pointed down. I checked the jury-rigged loading mechanism and saw that there still was an energy cell in it. Whether or not it was still charged was beyond me, only Luna would know. The one time I had tested to see if one was charged strongly discouraged any future attempts. My groin, legs and arms thank me greatly, long story. She treats those energy cells like they were children that crap nividium. I twisted it around and held the slide partially open for her to see. She motioned for me to remove it and fished for another that she kept somewhere on her, where was anyone’s guess.

Fully opening the slide had the cell pop out, kind of like those guns I saw on those Terran history documentaries. They used these small metal round things that went into another bigger box like metal thing that slides into the much larger gun that spews small round metal things that are smaller than the original small round things. It’s rather difficult to describe such ancient weapons. Apparently though you had to be a wizard or something to hit other people. If you weren’t you either didn’t hit anything or were mowed down quite quickly or both. Some of the more advanced users could even control the flight of the smaller round metal things. These people could even slow down time and dodge other people’s shots! The best documentaries I’ve ever watch had names like Rambo, Smokin’ Aces, Wanted or The Matrix. I don’t know how people lived back in those days but it sure looked like they had exciting lives. Anyways, I handed the cell over to Luna and she gave me one in return. It went into the gun without a sound. Boring, no loud mechanical noises or anything. Knowing Luna what happens next was going to be equally boring.

“When I say fire, lift your gun and shoot the one with the missing horn in the middle of the group. That should knock them all out. If not, you know what to do.” She stopped whispering to me and turned her attention back to Tabs and his entourage. Very nonchalantly she said to Tabs. “Pardon me, but we really need to get going. You have anything further to say to us? If not, could we take our leave?” She rose to her feet and gestured for me to do the same.

“Wait, we have time before we…”

“We have ten.”

“T-t-ten?! Ten what?”

“We should really get going, Tabs. I mean we should really be going. Understand?”

“But… no, we can… thi… thi… not happening!” Him and the other Teladi began panicking. Panicking but with no action. They all turned to each other and presented us an opportunity.

Luna looked up to me. “Fire.”

After I got to feet, I had placed my right foot behind my walking stick waiting for her signal. With it, I hefted the large cannon to be horizontal aligned with my hips and thumbed the activation key. Forks of teal lightning struck out towards the Teladis. Much to my delight, I discovered that Teladi face for “Oh crap, I’m about to be struck by lightning” is exactly the same as all the other races of the universe thanks to Mister angry yell-y lizard guard when he glanced over to see what I was doing. Most of the group hit the ground in spasms, most assuredly knocked unconscious. The three still standing needed some persuasion that unconsciousness was a lot less painful. Only three steps separated me from them and I was already in motion while they were still disoriented. Three thundering steps and I planted my right foot forward, twisted to my left, and swung my gun level with their heads. Fate is cruel for they gained their bearings just as my weapon screamed towards their faces. They had the general “Oh crap!” face. The first two were flipped under the cannon, blood trickling from their faces as they blacked out lying on the floor. The third attempted to duck and was only rewarded in me changing my angle and smashing his head through one of the nearby cabinets. Simple, effective, and boring.

I have to give Tabs credit, even if what he did was moronic. He saw me lift my gun. Seeing what was potentially a bad thing, he did the right by ducking for cover. But in his terror, he remained cowering beneath the oversized chair. He made easy prey and I grabbed his feet and pulled him into the air. He could took off running leaving me and Luna hard pressed to catch him. I presented him to Luna. Tabs’s eyes were bulging out of their sockets as Luna sauntered up to him.

“Look, N-Nuaru…”

I’ve never seen Luna hit anyone. With her noodle-like arms, I never even consider she could have such a soul-crushing blow. That’s right, she hit him so hard that not only did it devastate his face and numb his mind, it crushed his very soul! I could feel my mine wither as I watched a part of him die. Okay, I may be exaggerating a little but still. Time stopped after that blow. I had a good look at Luna’s expression. Even death could not look as terrifying.

“Don’t you EVER utter that name around me AGAIN! Kill him Ugly!”

“Nononono. Yggdra… Ygg… -gulp-, don’t I b-beg you!” He regarded me with the puffy greenish purple-red side of his face. He was the most pathetic and terrified creature I’ve ever seen. Not even my bounties could claim to have gotten any pity from me as I turned them over to their hunters. But Tabs did.

Luna grabbed him by the snout and turned him to look at her. Her eyes were wide and angry. “Why should I spare you? You drag me all the way here and wasted my frakken’ time. WHY SHOULDN’T I KILL YOU!?”

By now Tabs was crying. Tears were streaking up his face to plop on the ground below. “I… I found more.”

“More?” Luna looked like she was struck.

“Y-Yeah, my… manager found it and I… I… acquired a few…”

“You s-stole it from your boss! You stupid little … argh! You have any idea what she’ll do to you! She… oh dear god… she knows that I’m the only other person looking for it and she thinks I’m dead! Is that why you brought me here! Oh no. I can’t hide anymore can I?”

“Uh Luna, what the hell is going on?” I’ve never seen her so worked up.

“Frakken’ Tabs stole from the most brutally devious member of my kind and is now trying to frame me!”

“Wait, what? I thought he wanted us to repay the money we owed.”

“What money?!” Both Tabs and Luna replied. Luna instantly placed all tentacles over her mouth.

“Ugly, I…”

“Luna, you’ve… borrowed from her?!”

“Tabs, you have no idea what you’re talking…”

“No, I know… yet you claim that I’M A MORON! But no, you’re Luna the Brilliant… got a plan, gonna… take from the man! I mean lady. You-you go and borrow from her!? YOU’RE PLAYING DEAD! You were off her radar! You-you-you IDIOT.” He screamed, tears still streaming up his face.

“Cram it Tabs. I didn’t borrow any frakken’ money from anyone so stuff it before I have Ugly make me a new handbag from your skin!”

“Luna who do we owe money to then?” I was very confused.

“Oh great! You’ve even deceived your friend! You won’t… quit until everyone…” Tabs couldn’t quite finish snapping at Luna.

“Shut up! Shut up! Ugly I-we… we don’t owe anyth… I’m sorry I just… Frak, I don’t even know where to start!” Luna looked like she was going to cry herself.

“We’re going to die!” Tabs wailed.

“Yeah about that you two. Your conversation may be, I don’t know, enlightening? But this station is about to blow up, right? We didn’t stop that from happening just by talking.”

“Holy crap, big man the embodiment of clarity, we are doomed!” Tabs practically howled that.

“You’re right Ugly. Just regain composure and think this through Luna. Think. Think. Good news is that we don’t have much to worry about!” Luna was rapidly regaining her composure.

“But you said we had ten-somethings left. I pretty sure it’s been several somethings since.”

“No Ugly I lied about that.”

“Ha, again!” Tabs proclaimed. Luna raised her tentacles ready to strike causing both me and Tabs to cringe.

“No, we have an entire stazura left. You think these Teladis would be better at math. I lied about this station crashing into the minefield hoping that in their rush to leave they would forget about us. I guess they were more afraid of their boss.”

“So then, we were going to just walk out of here?”

“That was the plan.”

“Is it still? The guards outside ran before you told them how much time they had.”

“The guards I don't know, maybe they don't want to be anywhere near this station when their boss finds out? As for the plan, slight modification, Tabs here is coming with us. You better not be lying, Tabs."

“Unlike you Luna, I’ve… yet to lie. I called you here to take me away from her. I begging you, help me. You know what her temper can be like. When what I did... help me Luna.”

“Let him down Ugly.”

I laid Tabs on the ground and he hurriedly scurried to his feet. After standing he seemed a bit woozy, with all that blood rushing to his head I could understand. Luna had moved toward the window and was slowly pacing back and forth with one tentacle against her head and the rest crossed over her chest. Luna, the more questions get answered about you the more questions pop up. And now there’s Tabs. And this Nuaru lady. And there’s the history between the three of them. I just wasn’t ever going to get all my questions answered. Looking at Luna, I somehow knew even less about her than I did before and that didn’t even make sense.

The room was quiet and calm. It was very unnerving considering that we had several bodies in here ready to wake up and attack us. Some of the wooden furniture was scorched. Zigzagging burn marks played across their surfaces. I was deeply saddened by this defacement, more so since I knew I was at fault. These pieces would never regain the elegance they once possessed. Sure the burn marks could be sanded out, but the pieces would be uneven and need to be re-stained and recoated. They would forever bear the scars of today unless they were forgotten and/or destroyed.

Much like me, I realized. I held my hands in front of me. My protruding knuckle guards were the most prominent feature of my hands, but I was looking for the older fainter scars of my childhood. Back then, I would help my mother in the arboretum she owned. She taught me to be gentle with the trees inside of it as every cut and every break shaped the appearance of the trees. They all grew to be beautiful and strong, several bearing the scars of their life only to look more gorgeous for it. Unfortunately the same could not be said of me. My hands were scraped several times a day. I was never good looking to begin with, my scars have not helped me. Looking down on my hands made me wonder if my mom was looking down at me at the moment. If she was, would she be proud of what I’ve done so far? Since she was killed I’ve felt alone, but that was before I found Luna. She for some reason seemed all too keen on taking care of me. Her conversation with Tabs had me wondering. Was she taking advantage of me? She could plan things so far in advance, was I just a tool to her? And what were we working for all this time? Why did she need so much money?

I looked up and saw her staring straight at me. She could easily spot the rift that had sprung up between us. Today I’ve seen a range of emotions she’s never showed. Anger, surprise, fear and now looking at her, I could see shame. Suddenly, I didn’t know anything.

“We need to go.” She said very softly as she broke eye-contact. She made her way towards the door and reloaded the walking stick as she walked by it. Tabs were oblivious to everything as he was staring into a mirror trying to get the swelling of his face to subside. I picked up my weapon and followed her out the door with Tabs trailing behind me.

Questions floated about in my mind as we walked the quiet corridors, my walking stick making thumps against the floor echoing like heart beats. Looking at her back I noticed that her arms weren’t trailing behind her as usual. Instead they hung listlessly at her sides. Was she as troubled as me? I wanted to ask… I wanted to ask many things to tell the truth, I just didn’t know what to ask first. She was my friend, right? And I’m still her friend too, I think. She may have lied, but everybody does. Just how far do her lies go, though? Luna was my friend, I decided, and my friend will tell me. But, my friend was troubled. I should be there for my friend as she has been there for me.

“What’s wrong?”

She barely turned her head towards me. I saw one of her eyes and it was looking at the ground around my feet. Just as she was about to say something, a voice shouted at us from behind.

“Tertocamiusssssss! Bosss sssays we can kill you!”

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Sat, 24. Mar 12, 12:50

97. The Quiet before the Storm

768-06-04 22:47
The meetin’ with my captains took place on the Credo et Amo, which is currently lumberin’ through the center of Avarice lookin’ scary to the ships in the trade lane beneath it. After a lunch that was mostly liquid I beamed over and once again I have to note that I really do feel at home on Argon ships. Oddly enough I think it's the carpet. I know that's a ridiculous reason to endorse a ship but every time I step foot on a human ship the soft floors just make me feel safe. Hell if I know. Anyway, I was still kind of upset ... sigh ... ok I was a little drunk and lookin' at the very real possibility of finishin' the day in an alcohol fueled despair over how much worse the universe is with me in it. Yeeeah ... just the picture of mental health and emotional stability I am ... but then I ran into Lu.

He was waitin' for me when I stepped off the transporter. I don't know why but the sight of him made me feel better. I think it's the contrast. I mean on the one hand he's tall and lean and hard as a coffin nail, right? I mean the guy reminds me of nothin' so much as the stories of those ancient gunfighters from old earth. Steady and cool and capable of murder in the blink of an eye. Yet in his eyes I saw kindness.

"Drake," he greeted me.

"Lu," I replied.

"Rough day?" he asked and gestured toward the door.

"Oh no," I shook my head. "You can lead the way," I said. "This ship is the size of downtown New London and I don’t know where the hell I’m goin’."

He smiled and nodded. A moment later we were walkin' side by side down one of the comfortable carpeted corridors of his Boreas. "So what's troublin' you, Drake? You look like someone just shot your dog."

"Aah, frak," I shook my head. "Hell I don't know. You'd think I wouldn't have anythin' to complain about, right?" I said. "I mean I'm filthy frakkin' rich and a month ago I couldn't even afford a shower."

He smiled and wrinkled his nose. "I remember," he assured me.

"I started bathin' again before I met you, thank you very much."

"Maybe you were just out of practice."

"Fraaaak you," I laughed and somehow I was already feelin' better but when I looked at him he lifted his chin in a question. I shook my head and tried to dismiss it but again when I looked back at him his eyes seemed to look right through me. So I sighed and steeled myself to admit the truth. "I've just been thinkin' about all the people we've lost."

He nodded. "One of the many burdens of leadership."

"Yeah," I sighed. "So I hear. You know every once in a while I think of this vid I saw a long frakkin’ time ago. It was this reporter interviewin' this retired Titan captain. You can say it was the sum of my trainin' for ..." I gestured around me. "... all a this." I followed him around a corner and into a different corridor that looked just like the last one ... only this one had windows. Through ’em I saw my factory in the distance and all those tiny glints of light movin' in the trade lanes.

"Go on," he prompted me.

“Aaah,” I took a breath. "It wasn't much," I said. "Just some bitter old guy refusin' to answer the reporters questions. I got the impression he'd been ordered to talk to her and wasn’t happy about it. But one thing he did say stuck with me. He said that no matter how much a captain feels for his crew he can't ever be friends with ‘em because he never knows when he'll have to sacrifice their lives.”

Lu just watched me and for a few moments we walked along in silence. Then he asked me a question and it was a doozy. "So is it that people are dying that troubles you ... or is it that they're dying for you?"

"Shit, man," I cursed and exhaled heavily through my nose. I stared at the factory growin' out of the mists in the distance. "I'm just a frakkin' pirate, Lu. I mean when it was just you n' me and the guys on the Destiny I was fine but ..." I stared at the pipes disappearin' into the nebula.

"But?" he prompted me.

I turned and met his eye. “But then I went and built that thing,” I gestured at the factory. “Then I let the Argon and the Teladi pay me to keep the sector safe. Now it's you and me and the guys but it’s also our crews and frak, it’s the twenty thousand other people that work for me." I met his eye. "I mean how the hell did THAT happen?! And that doesn't include any of the people that now depend on us for protection in not one but three different sectors! And I'm still just a frakkin' pirate!"

He nodded. "Except you're not."

"Yeah," I agreed with him. "Except I'm not. I'm the fourteen frakkin' jazura old emperor tryin' to out-think and out-maneuver the largest and most technically advanced military in the known frakkin' universe to make sure we don’t all get killed." He just watched me with that same quiet smile he always wears whenever I get stressed out. “How do you do that?” I asked him.

“Do what?”

“Stand there and smile at me when I’m tellin’ you how everythin’ is upside down and backwards?”

“Maybe I know something that you don’t,” he said.

“What the frak does that mean?”

“It means that maybe I know something that you don’t.”

“Cryptic as always,” I scoffed at him. “You know that’s very frakkin’ informative. Thanks for the clarification.” He just grinned at me. “So what? What do you know?”

“Ask me again some time,” he said and clapped me on the shoulder. Then he gestured to a hatch to his right and said. “We’re here.”

I stared at him with my one very narrowed eye. “No,” I said. “Not this time. You don’t get to say somethin’ like that and then just dismiss me.”

He held my eye and I actually felt our relationship change. It evolved somehow and he was lookin’ at me like I was somethin’ he hadn’t seen before. Then he nodded. “Okay,” he said. “Okay. I’ll tell you. Just ... let me think on it for a little while.”

“Oh-kay?”

He smiled at me. “Just give me a day or so, Drake. Let me get it straight in my head.”

I stared at him for a moment and then slowly nodded. “Alright, Lu,” I said. “But I’m not gonna forget. So if that’s what you’re hopin’ for you’re ess-oh-el. You know that, right?”

He grinned at me. “I do now,” he said. “You know you’ve changed, Drake.” He looked me up and down. “You’ve grown somehow.”

I gestured to the vista beyond the window as if that said it all. He followed my hand. Then he met my eye and nodded. He glanced to his right and cocked his head toward the hatch. “Come on.”

“Yeah.”

When we stepped through the hatch Cai’t Ct’ic, Ea’t s’Quid, Z’ppt, Ch’t F’rst and Malcolm Roberts were all seated around a table and yammerin’ away at each other. The first thing that struck me about the scene was how out of place Malcolm looked among all those Split. That impression was only enhanced by the fact that the Split had to keep stoppin’ to repeat themselves. They were very animated while speakin’ to each other and would often resort to just usin’ their six fingered sign language. Then Z’ppt would translate for Malcolm and by doin’ so remind the others that he couldn’t understand. When I stepped in they all stopped talkin’, looked at me and got to their feet.

“Boys,” I said, and waved ‘em back to their seats.

“Lord Drake,” Ea’t said to me. Cai’t, Z’ppt, Ch’t and Malcolm all greeted me with ‘Admiral.’

“You are looking good, Admiral,” Z’ppt said. “Exercise?”

I nodded. “Among other things,” I said then I looked at him starin' clear eyed and serene as we regarded each other. “You do too, Z’ppt.”

“Haven’t had a drink in two weeks,” he said.

“Well done,” I said. A moment later Lucifer and I sat down at the table with ’em. “I guess you all know why we’re here?”

“Tomorrow,” Ea’t said, “kill pirates.”

“Aye,” I said. “That about sums it up. Tomorrow, after the last Marine is done trainin’ at the Acquisition Pirate Base, we’re gonna wipe out every last pirate ship and station in between the north gate of the Maelstrom and the Pirate Guild Outpost in Gaian Star. Before we do that,” I was lookin’ each man in the face one by one, “I want to make sure that we’ve got all our ducks in a row.”

“So what’s the plan?” Lucifer asked.

“Well that’s what we’re here to work out,” I said. “I was thinkin’ the Credo et Amo would take point with everybody else rollin’ in behind. The carriers’d take crowd control, missile boats’d take the heavy hitters. Ea’t and his team’d do what they do best ...” There were some chuckles from around the table and Ea’t grinned that evil Split leer of his. “ ... while the Credo et Amo levels the station.”

"Well," Lu chuckled, "that sounds like a plan." A couple of them laughed.

“Anythin’ you guys want to add?” I asked.

After that it deteriorated into details. Ca’it reminded us to keep the fighters close so they could fall back into their mothership’s control zone if they got in trouble. Ea’t would be on medium range control duty and promised to kill anythin’ that got close enough to shoot at. Ch’t would be lookin’ for the long range capital ship kill while the Credo et Amo nuked the stations. It was a plan anyway.

“How’s morale?” I asked. I was lookin’ at my datapad when I asked the question and thinkin’ about Seldon ... and Slamer. Silence answered me. When I looked up I looked quickly around the table, but finally leveled my eye at Ch’t. “Well?”

He lifted his head and met my gaze. For a moment there was fire in his eyes, like I’d called him out and he was ready to meet the challenge. Then he nodded to himself. “The marines are ready, Admiral. They are always ready.”

“Yeah,” I said and looked back at the table. “Okay.” Then I looked back up and around the table. “Do me a favor?” They all watched me and I glanced from Ch’t to Ca’it and then Malcolm. “Take care of ’em,” I said. “Those of you who have marines and fighter jocks on your ships, give ‘em whatever they need. I figure if they’re willin’ to put their lives on the line for us the least we can do is spoil ’em some.” I looked back down at my hands, but not before I did I saw a couple approvin’ nods from around the table. “I guess that’s it, guys,” I said and started to turn to Lucifer so I could have him take me back to the transporter.

“Admiral?” Malcolm got my attention. I met his eye. “Can I talk to you for a minute?”

“Sure Mal, what’s up?”

He looked around at the Split and then back to me. “In private?”

“Okay?” I looked around at the rest of the room. “If you gents don’t mind?”

“Lord Drake,” Ea’t said as he got his feet. “I go beat crew into readiness.”

There were a couple of chuckles. Z’ppt nodded and said, “I shall as well.” Ca’it said nothin' but nodded. Ch’t just met my eye and nodded again.

“I’ll leave an escort outside the door, Drake.”

“Thanks Lu.” Several moments later the hatch hissed closed and Mal and I were alone in the room. I met his eye. He looked uncomfortable. “What’s up?” I asked him.

He stared at me for a long moment without sayin' anythin'. So long that I started to feel concerned. “Mal?”

“I’ve got a bad feeling about this, Drake.”

“What? Hittin’ the pirates? I thought you’d be all for it ...”

“I am. It’s just ...” He shook his head. “I don’t know. Maybe the last couple of weeks just have me spooked but ... I just can’t shake the feeling that we’re walking into a trap.”

I stared at him.

“If nothing else you’re committing a destroyer and two carriers to clearing the pirates out of some unwanted sectors and leaving the ...”

“They’re not unwanted,” I stated.

“What I mean is ...”

“You’re worried that I’m leavin’ the back door open.”

He held my eye for a moment and then nodded. “Yes. If I was planning an op against an enemy and I knew that he was going to mobilize the majority of his forces I’d see that as a golden opportunity to do some damage. And Drake? You have two very powerful enemies that would just love to take advantage of it.”

“What do you recommend?”

“At the very least leave one more carrier in Avarice.”

I cocked my head to level my one good eye at him. “If that’s the ‘very least’ what would you actually have me do?”

“Call it off.”

“You know I can’t do that.”

“Sure you can. In fact that’s all you’d have to do ...”

“It’s not gonna happen, Mal” I said. “But I will consider leavin' one of the carriers behind to watch Avarice.”

He nodded.

“I suppose you’d like it to be the Ragnarök?”

He shrugged. “Either way.”

I nodded. "Okay," I said. "The Ragnarök will stay behind and watch Avarice." I grinned. “The rest of us will go kick the pirates out of my trade lane.”

He shook his head a little. "Have fun, Drake. I'll keep the light on."

I stood up and crossed the room. I was aware of him hangin' his head behind me and cast a glance back at him. He wouldn't look at me. Not for the first time I found myself wonderin' if this was the life for him. A moment later I stepped out into the hall and heard the hatch hiss closed behind me. I nodded at the escort Lu had left for me. Less than three mizura later I was steppin' off the pad onto the Magus. Less than five mizura after that and I was makin' my way through the Typhaon to see Hayla.

I found Chef instead. He was tinkerin' around in the kitchen singin' to himself. I heard him before I saw him and when I stepped into the kitchen he didn't see me. I crossed my arms and leaned against the door jam while I waited for him to notice me. I was actually tryin' not to scare him. It didn't work. He turned around saw me watchin' him and tossed all the noodles in his hands all over the kitchen. "Oh!!" Then he covered his heart with both hands and panted. "Oh, Admiral! You scared me."

I smiled at him. "It was just one of those moments, bud. It was gonna happen no matter what I did. So, where's Hayla?"

He still had a hand on his chest but seemed to be gettin' his heart rate back down. He looked back up at me and shook his head. "Aaah, I don't know. She usually goes to the community centers either on this ship or the Endless to meet with friends. You know ... or that Odin."

"You don't like him?"

"Oh it's not that sir. I just can't read him. I've always been good at knowing what people want. You can say it's my one true gift. But with him ..." he shook his head. "I just don't know. Everything he does just seems ... crafted somehow. Like an actor performing on stage."

"Aye," I said. "Thanks, Chef."

I checked in with the nav officer on the Typhaon's bridge and was told that Hayla was not aboard. She'd left with Odin. Which means no one could tell me where she was. I took the time to enjoy my dojo and after some resistance and flexibility trainin' I picked up the shinai Lu had left for me and walked out under the si'tka trees to practice my forms again.

I'm not sure why it happens. I'm guessin' it was a form of meditation for Sensei Shioda and I've inherited it. Either way the instant I picked up the shinai I felt my mind still. As I began workin' through the forms I learned from him, well, it was like ... hell I'm gonna mangle this. It was like takin' a half step ... backwards ... sort of. Backwards and out. Like I was bigger than my body. In fact it was like I was everything, more than everything ... and I held the man practicin' swordplay in my mind. It was like I was dreamin', only I was the dream as well. I don't know how to explain it. It was like I was the void and all the light in the universe existed inside me. I don't think I've ever felt more at peace.

Frakkin' weird.

Anyway, Hayla got home while I was practicin'. I heard her in the hallway above me long before she and Odin reached the bridge overhead. They were laughin' and sounded somewhat less than sober. I put the shinai back on it's stand and picked up the towel I'd brought with me. As I toweled off I listened to Hayla and thought about the question I needed to ask her. She seemed so happy that I didn't know if I could. A few moments later I was standin' at the hatch to the sittin' room where she'd first told me what happened to her. She was laughin' hard enough to cry and hangin' on to his shoulders. I couldn't hear what he was sayin'. He had this way of not bein' overheard, but whatever it was had her in stitches. For a few moments I just leaned against the doorjamb and watched. Then I turned and began walkin' away.

Some times, Gil whispered inside my skull, you just gotta let sleepin' dogs lie. Ain't that right, son?

"I am not your son," I hissed. "And when I find you, you sunnova bitch ..."

"Drake!" Hayla had seen me. I put on my best face and turned around with a smile. She had climbed off Odin's lap and was rushing across the room toward me. "Drake, come sit with us!" She wobbled as she walked but she hadn't started slurrin' her words yet. She reached out and draped an arm around my shoulders. "Have a drink!" That was apparently absurdly funny because she started laughin' again, usin' me to hold herself upright.

I grinned and sighed. "I think you've had enough for the both of us." I glanced at Odin, who was also smilin' but dead sober. Once again I found myself wonderin' what his game was. I really don't know whether to give the guy his own command or have Gunny t'Kt space him out the nearest airlock. Just as I was thinkin' those thoughts he winked at me. Bloody wanker.

Anyway, I decided against askin' Hayla any questions. There's always tomorrow. Instead I asked Gin to beam over and join me for dinner in front of the fire.

Return to “Creative Universe”