X2 on Vista

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

jh
x2

Post by jh » Fri, 13. Apr 07, 22:47

i tryd it on vista and worked just fine

exetonline
x2

Post by exetonline » Sat, 21. Apr 07, 16:34

Hi All,

I just tryed to install on VISTA and also faild with the installation. It just ends and says: That the installation was ended before it could finish.
I also tryed all the different ways like Admin, WinXP with SP2 and so on. also turned of the accounts options.
It seems, it just doesnt want to be installed on VISTA. I hope one of the ADMINS here have a solution soon, cause I really like the game and now have a new Laptop and want to play it again.

All have a nice day . . . EXET

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 22. Apr 07, 01:56

Someone who actually has a copy of Vista and has run the game on it is far more likely to be able to help you than any of the forum admins, none of whom, to my knowledge are running Vista.

Feith

Post by Feith » Sat, 5. May 07, 02:18

I'm running on Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit... I installed the game and played it without any problems at all. (Until I started it up again and then played it for a bit and it told me that the CD wasn't the official one blah blah blah - there was another post about that somewhere else...) I'm used to having to do most of the other suggested tricks on here and didn't have to this time. but I will supply a few that I've seen recommended for other games that may work for this one:

Right click the X2 - The Threat.exe icon
Properties --> Compatibility tab
Click the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for..'
Then at the bottom, click the 'Run as Administrator' thing
Under the security tab, Click the edit button of each head thing and give them all full control. (Last bit might just be for MMORPG's, but hey.. :P At least do it for the profile you are going to be using it on.)

Try those... if that doesn't work, I don't know what to say. :P

TuXoR
x3tc

Post by TuXoR » Sat, 7. Aug 10, 18:49

In short, running the instmsiw tells the story I'm afraid.

"Wrong OS or OS version for application"

I guess if you have a newly installed Vista system without any patching it
might work. If you however have patched it, as recommended, you aren't
installing it. I tried the file in every compability mode and it refused to budge.
Compability mode for 2000 gave "The specified service already exists."
Interesting maybe but it didn't change the facts. It won't install.

Bye X universe, never coming back.
"Qoud Me Nutrit Me Destruit"

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 7. Aug 10, 22:49

I'm not sure quite what you're saying or quite why you've dredged up a 3+ year old thread to say it, but I do know that many, many people are running the game just fine under Vista despite the OS having been released quite some time after the game came out. There's even a sticky thread at the top of the forum explaining how to do it.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”