X2 the threat doesn't load up on windows 8.1

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

leethom

Post by leethom » Fri, 23. Jan 15, 08:15

So . . . .

I uninstalled / removed previous attempts.

I created a new folder in C:\Program Files (x86) and copied all CD contents (disks 1 & 2) to this folder (contents of the CD \EGOSOFT\X2 The Threat

I applied the patches per the instructions from 1.2 up to 1.5 (in the order shown, with AI and no CD run)

I ran the shortcut created with XP SP3 and admin rights

Ticked the "Ignore last settings and start with default" . . . .

Exactly the same issue :-( . . . . Damn !!!!

I also tried the above but without 1.2 and 1.4 patches as the splash screen before game is supposed to start states my version is 1.4 . . . same issue.

I'll probably try a few different variations tonight to see if I can get this working.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 23. Jan 15, 11:59

I admire your perseverance! :)

You could look in Event Viewer for any errors reported for X2 at the date/time of your attempts. (Eventvwr.exe Event Viewer (Local), Custom Views, Administrative Events - look for critical errors or AppHang etc to do with X2 - you can filter/sort the list by date/time or level etc.) It may be that you are using a DirectX dll file version that X2 does not like (or perhaps are missing one that X2 needs) and the error reports (if any) may give a clue about that.

Finally if it seems insurmountable, and you are not anti-Steam, you can get Steam X2 downloaded for the price of a beer or two.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”