[X2] overlays Ultra Wide Quad HD

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

jlehtone
x4

[X2] overlays Ultra Wide Quad HD

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 11. Jan 18, 17:09

Windows 10 Pro, 64bit, version 1709
NVidia GTX 970, 390.65 drivers
21.5:9 ratio ultrawide display (3440*1440)

On the 3440x1440x32 resolution, fullscreen mode all the ingame information overlays/dialogs cover left half of the screen, while on 2560x1440 (16:9) and lower they cover entire screen.

Is that intentional to avoid strecthing on such wide ratio?

On game saved with X2 1.4 (in 2006), overlays initially (before undocking) do span entire screen (does not look bad), except the sector graph in Universe map view, that is already confined to the left half (and thus mostly under the text).

The phenomenom does not hamper playing.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 11. Jan 18, 18:03

It's a bit hard to understand what you're actually seeing. Can you provide some screenshots?

With regard to whether things are intentional or not, do bear in mind that screens such as yours didn't exist when X2 was written. One possibility is that it's looking at the resolution and assuming that you're spanning the display across two screens, and dividing things up accordingly.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 11. Jan 18, 20:07

CBJ wrote:It's a bit hard to understand what you're actually seeing. Can you provide some screenshots?
I could. What is the today's preferred delivery method?
With regard to whether things are intentional or not, do bear in mind that screens such as yours didn't exist when X2 was written.
I know. I'm actually amazed how well she behaves.
One possibility is that it's looking at the resolution and assuming that you're spanning the display across two screens, and dividing things up accordingly.
I think that is exactly what happens.

The "Monitor Layout" has only three options: None, Dual 1-1, and Dual 1-4.
On the 'Dual' modes the "normal" view is on the left half of the screen and on the right half of the screen there is one or four (2*2) Monitors, respectively.

The anomalies when loading a 1.4 save, that automatically converts to 1.5, are merely a curiosity. In fact, saving in one resolution and then loading with other can show some too. Is it possible that something about the state of graphics engine is in the savefile, rather than everything being freshly initialized?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”