X2 Video Recording

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

kohlrak

X2 Video Recording

Post by kohlrak » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 14:41

I noticed the options there is a streaming recording option. I found that my game can actually use htis without lagging (which alone i find strange). When i go to playback, it does so effectively, but I can't move around the camera angles or something like that. This tells me that it really is a streamed format. So, how would one go about viewing the file outside of X? What format is this? VLC seems to be thoroughly confused.

EDIT: Well, it's gzipped. Looking at it post unzipping, i see alot of readable data. So, i'm confused why it seems so raw, unable to change viewpoints and such, yet what is in the file is showing information that suggest it's not pre-rendered.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 26. Jan 18, 20:53

It's an internal recording and playback format that stores all the positions and movement of everything, including the camera. Although in principle it might be possible to change the camera position while it was playing back, that was never part of the implementation. I believe the original purpose that it was created for was for the recording cutscenes for missions, where the camera position and movement needed to be part of the playback.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”