X3 Reunion hangs when trying trade with station

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 25. Apr 18, 16:21

Yes thanks for the video and I have never doubted at all that you are having the problems as you described them, but unfortunately that video only shows the effects and not the probable cause.

Here's a quote regarding Preferred DirectShow Filters: "Windows uses its own DirectShow filters for decoding several audio and video formats. Changing which filters get used requires modifications to some Registry keys, including adjusting access permissions. This can be quite difficult (and dangerous) for novice users."

Most codec/filter and priority changes away from default are carried out by installed 3rd party applications or codec packs. Usually uninstalling whatever made the changes results in a return to default.

There are available freeware codec-tweaking tools but some could be suspect and lead to problems and ransom demands (ransomware) if from unscrupulous sources. Others may handle codecs incompletely and so risk leaving behind broken fragments that interfere with other codecs. It is inadvisable for us to recommend their use for this reason.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Dimushka

Post by Dimushka » Wed, 25. Apr 18, 17:22

Ok, I`ll try resolve it. I played -ELITE- 25 years ago, and I was surprised for the first time I opened X2. It`s beginning from date of my birthday. Except year indeed. So I was learning English during flight like Van Damme did it at his times using american cartoons. But have lot of ideas how this must be done instead of what we have. If problem will go away I`ll let you know. Dimushka`s out...

Dimushka

Post by Dimushka » Wed, 25. Apr 18, 19:20

Good news. I found that all problems from incorrect links between file extensions and appropriate codecs in registry. Windows Media Player refuses to open the files from game subdirectory Mov. But... I found the way. There used 2 codecs in X2:
1. MPEG 1: 00001.dat, 00003.dat, 00006.dat (Egosoft splash), 06011.dat
2. WMA 2: 00144.dat (game voices)

So... originally Windows Media Player can`t recognize these .dat. But if we change file extensions .dat to MPEG container .mpg it does. Problem disappears. Now I will find the way convert this files to unified format, then write in windows registry cross links between file extensions and codecs of Media Player. Finally I`ll write all of this.

It works with change 00144.dat to 00144.wma too... Media Player can open this. And finally we may use one exstension .wma in all cases. It will also work. Like here https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php ... c&start=15
Last edited by Dimushka on Thu, 26. Apr 18, 01:16, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 25. Apr 18, 20:26

It is great to hear that you can play again. I have no idea why you should even need to do that, but if it works for you then enjoy the game!

I knew there had been this type of file extension issue with in-game mp3 music tracks for a very few X game users before, but I don't think I've heard of this happening with video as well. Changing the files to wma format extension forces Media Player to use the necessary wma codecs.

To me it implies that your Windows Media Player is not seeing the correct default range of codec/filter options that it should, for some unknown reason. Either that or those strange extra high priority filters (now possibly broken ones) have diverted it away from the ones it really wanted.

Dimushka

Post by Dimushka » Fri, 27. Apr 18, 16:38

I said I found a way but there`s only deadlock. After registry modifying .dat began to play by mouse double clicking... but it still don`t work through command line. Guess Billy Gates had changed something in Media Player since Windows 7. And programmers use it through command line options rather then typical double clicking. So if you know how can it be (in the way I wrote above) let me know.

Programmers should use requests in the form <file_name>.<asterix>. So users could modify extensions in free way. And it should work. I guess it may be done with typical patch. Guess in programming language standart extensions don`t give permissions for random access like it needs to be done in case of voice`s module 00144.dat. Still don`t believe it`s only my problem. Now can`t check this but later will try on other machine under Windows 10. You can also type on yours:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" <file_name>

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 27. Apr 18, 17:11

Hello again. I thought you had the game working again, but obviously not.

I think you are perhaps going down the wrong path anyway. The game doesn't use command line options to play sounds - it uses DirectShow's DirectSound functions to play them directly. In fact your renaming of the extensions may even have made matters worse (or at least not any better) if DirectSound doesn't even see those files any more.

My theory is still that you have broken codecs sat at the top of your default priority listing and directing your DirectSound away from the codecs the game actually needs to play the game sound files. The evidence for this theory is that 99% of Win10 users don't have to do anything at all to run the game with all sound and so there is absolutely no need for the devs to worry about the code in this now quite old game.

I said earlier that I wouldn't recommend a codec tool and I still will not do so directly. All I can say is that when I was playing early X2/X3 I used a free tool called Codec Sniper to resolve some codec issues - but note that this was when my OS was Windows XP.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”