PLEASE give some advice==Which mods/(scripts) to use???

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Krelian
x3

Post by Krelian » Sat, 29. Jul 06, 03:20

Syklon wrote:not to rob any of the glory from the great modders over at XFP, but Xtended .6 (also coming next few days :) ) is going to be mindblowingly-awesome
we still havent fully disclosed all of our featurelist, but what i can tell you about:
lots of new ships, all x-uninverse, balanced, used by the AI, all amazing (better than ES by quite a margin) quality, with new turrets, animated guns, visible exhaust trails behind our ships and standard ES fighters (m3/4/5)
new ships will be filling in the new classes, the entire frigate m7 class is still there from previous releases, joining them will be the military m6s, which are slightly better m6s meant to help fill the m6-7 gap, m8 class for special op frigates, atm currently announced are an argon drone frigate, a split light carrier, and paranid missile frigate (featureing the new heavy missile gun), not mention ships being added to old classes, besides the entire Terran race getting filled out much better w/ mulitple new ships there will also be a new race taken out of x-universe lore which we havent revealed yet

then of course there are the non-ship features, which affect evey aspect fo the game, whether you are in an Xtended ship or not, and make everything so much cooler (esp. combat :) ):
New visible missile trails, several types for the differant kinds of missiles
Engine and exhaust trails for XTM and some ES ships
New impact and launch effects for some weapons
Certain rebalances to weapons that, while maintaining their previous balance, provide a significant boost in fps (one of our testers had a 10-15 fps increase while fighting the final battle from the plot)

and i'm sure ive still forgotten lots of features, but you get the idea :)
The 0.5 version of your mod is already out, right??
So, you will be releasing the 0.6 soon, hopefully in 2 days, am i right?
Man its hard to wait!

DECISIONS; DECISIONS, now should i rather go with the XFP or Xtension,,,???
Well, Syklon has given a pretty good explanation of the diffrences between the two mods, so its gonna help!!

Patience, patience patience...................................... :D

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 29. Jul 06, 03:31

y not create 2 games, one for each mod, then pick the one you prefer

XFP is out on the 30th

Krelian
x3

Post by Krelian » Sat, 29. Jul 06, 03:47

Cycrow wrote:y not create 2 games, one for each mod, then pick the one you prefer

XFP is out on the 30th
Sounds tempting!
Well, its such a simple idea, how come i never thought of doing that.....? :D :D :D

Oh, yeah, since they will be installed on different folders, and will each have their own shortcut(exe.), they won't interfere with eachother, right??

Like, **just for example**, the game on C: disk gets bugged somehow (it can be anything, caused from any whatsoever mod or scripts), BUT the game on D: disk will keep on functioning normally,, and naturally, as you have pointed out, you can install different scripts on different installations , right?

I know it sounds stupid asking a question like that, but im just trying to make sure.
PEACE!

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 29. Jul 06, 04:07

technically you can run them in the same game folder without too much problem, as you choose which mod to load from the x3 startup script and the scripts are usualyl designed to only work when the mod is enabled.

however, it can be a good idea to use seperate installations if you have the disc space. I have about 4 on my pc with different combinations of scripts, usually when im creating and testing them

Syklon
x3

Post by Syklon » Sat, 29. Jul 06, 04:20

the only problem with the multiple installations is that they still use the same save game folder, so you have to keep track of which save goes with which mod

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Sat, 29. Jul 06, 04:27

Syklon wrote:the only problem with the multiple installations is that they still use the same save game folder, so you have to keep track of which save goes with which mod
I've solved this with batch files copying saves to the Ego save folder when starting and from the folder when finishing - I have three games going with three lots of save files.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 29. Jul 06, 04:32

didn't someone make a profile manager to do something like that ?

Krelian
x3

Post by Krelian » Sat, 29. Jul 06, 16:03

Hmmm, now i know of two more interesting mods;

1-Capitol Ship Crews by Cycrow

2-Self repairing hull technology by LV

Now, will these two scripts CONFLICT with eachother if used in conjunction?
Since, both capital ship crews AND repairing technology aim to repair your ship. (Well do'h)

Lets say that i am running BOTH of the scripts.
Than later in the game, i got an M2.
I ONLY buy/get crew members for the ship, WITHOUT intsalling the ''Self repairing hull technology''
Will it STILL CONFLICT with the Self Repairing Hull Technology and cause ''errors/bugs/whatever?????

Krelian
x3

Post by Krelian » Sat, 29. Jul 06, 16:05

eladan wrote:
Syklon wrote:the only problem with the multiple installations is that they still use the same save game folder, so you have to keep track of which save goes with which mod
I've solved this with batch files copying saves to the Ego save folder when starting and from the folder when finishing - I have three games going with three lots of save files.
And may i ask;
''How didcha do that''?

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Sat, 29. Jul 06, 16:49

Krelian wrote: And may i ask;
''How didcha do that''?
I tried to find some mention of a profile manager after Cycrow's post, but had no luck.

I did see that someone else was doing the same sort of thing as me (LV I think it was,) but in a more elegant way - he had a save folder for each game and was just renaming the save folder to the standard egosoft save folder when he ran X3.

It would be a simple matter of creating folders for however many games you want to run, say "save 1" and "save 2" in your egosoft\x3 dir in my documents, then creating a batch file in your x3 program folder(s) (just create a text file, edit, then change the extension to .bat) for each save folder as

Code: Select all

ren "...\my documents\egosoft\x3\save 1" "...\my documents\egosoft\x3\save"
x3.exe
ren "...\my documents\egosoft\x3\save" "...\my documents\egosoft\x3\save 1"
(replacing ... with the full path to your my documents folder, and 'save 1' with 'save 2' etc.)

Then you need a shortcut for each game (copy the standard shortcut) and edit them to point to the different batch files. Name the shortcuts 'X3 game 1', 'X3 game 2' etc.

Oh - for ren to work the save folder can't exist, so change x3\save to x3\save 1 instead of creating save 1.

And that should pretty much be it.

It's not that difficult - I may be making it sound harder than it is... :P

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 29. Jul 06, 16:56

Krelian, i dont think they would conflict.

they do the same thing but in different ways but would prolly work fine together

Krelian
x3

Post by Krelian » Sat, 29. Jul 06, 21:37

Cycrow wrote:Krelian, i dont think they would conflict.

they do the same thing but in different ways but would prolly work fine together
Allright, guys.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Krelian
x3

Post by Krelian » Sun, 30. Jul 06, 01:02

Well, let me put the scripts that i like on a list here for anyone who might be interested.
I DID NOT test them extensively, AND most i didnt have the chance of testing at all since i am new to the game. I generally read their descriptions, peoples opinions about them and tried to decide which ones could be useful/make the game MORE FUN, WITHOUT UNbalancing the game.
In any case, here is a small list of scripts that i especially like. I HOPE that they will not conflict with eachother and arent ''bugged'' themselves.

1-Race respons fleets
(NOT very sure about that, sounds VERY SWEET, BUT i checked the thread on this script, and there may be some problems down the road, not sure, not sure....)

2-Yaki armada
Umm, coz its kool! Read the thread! :)

3-Station Trader
Will make life better for an enterprenaur!

4-XaiCorp fleet resupply
It does what it says OR i HOPE so :D

5-Cycrows all-in-one script,
OR AT LEAST one must give a shot with his GUILD PACK and Capital ship CREWS mod.

(PERSONALLY i think that; ''what fun are capital ships without crews??''
THANKFULLY and apperantly Cycrow saw that coming, though i hope he adds a few more crew options in the future,! :D
ALSO strongly recommend the massdriver ammo generator for massdriver fans like me! :)

6-Medusa Missile Interface
COOL! You get anti missile missile system!!! :lol: HEHE,,, read the forum on this one, it can really make combating more fun,,, err,, strategic..??

7-Self repairing hull technology
You need both the system, AND gotta have hull reapir kits in stock for the repairs to initiate, even than you will be straded for the duration of the repairing process,,,, thus i trust this wont make the game unbalanced, only more fun´.

8-Anarkis Carrier Commands
Well, down the line, every one of us wants to have a carrier, right??
MAYBE NOT; but for those who want one, this will make life much less frustrating for you.

9-Shield booster
Got some spare energy cells? BOOST those shields, baby!!
Grrr, i said boost them god dammit!! :D

10- Extra ships
a)Terran Hulk
b)Terran Odin

I especially choose the above mentioned ships, SINCE they really look like they belong to the X universe, and are well-detailed at the same time.

As usual, above are my humble opinions,
You may agree to disagree! :lol: YOUR opinions are welcome!

Krelian
x3

Post by Krelian » Sun, 30. Jul 06, 01:14

OOOPS!

Before i forget to mention,,, again,

two big boys are coming to town soon
As per se;

1-Da famous XFP mod, adding, lots, LOTS to the game,, mmmmm ships and such,, LOTSA ships and other goodies too! :D

2-The Xtended mod, somewhat similar to the XFP mod, BUT still way different! Someone on this thred already explained the principe/basic differences between the two, please refer to that post if you want some more answers. Its a ''taste'' thing.

Good luck to both developers..... although who says they need that :lol:

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 30. Jul 06, 01:18

XFP has been released now ;)

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Sun, 30. Jul 06, 01:21

has been for 1hour :roll:.

Krelian
x3

Post by Krelian » Sun, 30. Jul 06, 02:21

YAY!

UBErness!!!!!!

Gonna get it immediately! :D

Belfrahn
x3

Must-have scripts? What are they?

Post by Belfrahn » Sun, 30. Jul 06, 13:12

So I've read the stickies and I've glanced over the (very long) list of scripts available and I must say I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Can someone recommend a few of the Must-have scripts? Or at least some of your all time favorites?

Red Spot
x3

Post by Red Spot » Sun, 30. Jul 06, 13:41

I'd advise you to at least *try* to read over the first page of this forum .... :roll: (*hint*)

G

Krelian
x3

Re: Must-have scripts? What are they?

Post by Krelian » Sun, 30. Jul 06, 18:45

Belfrahn wrote:So I've read the stickies and I've glanced over the (very long) list of scripts available and I must say I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Can someone recommend a few of the Must-have scripts? Or at least some of your all time favorites?
I tried to give as good as an advice as possible, right on this page. :)

BUT, im no expert, so as the dude above me suggested, you can also head over to the first page, and check out Serial Kicked's list of favourite scripts'n stuff! :D

Be careful not to install UBER scripts that will make the game practically pointless for you,,,ehhh albeit fun for a while, heheh :D :lol:
Well, its YOUR game, have fun!

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”