PLEASE give some advice==Which mods/(scripts) to use???

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Krelian
x3

PLEASE give some advice==Which mods/(scripts) to use???

Post by Krelian » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 05:55

Hello there!
Im an avid X fan. First played Xtension, than moved on to X2, finally bought X3 like almost 8,9 months ago but didnt have time to play until now. As you know, X is a vay of life. I am still much too busy going out, working, studying for drivers licence, and lotsa other stuff,,,
BUT i can't wait anymore!!! If my beloved X demands time, than time it shall have!!
HERE IS THE JIGGY!!!=
I played the previous x titles WITHOUT any mods or scripts. Except the ''official'' ones for X2 under the ''downloads'' section. (So im a N00b!!).
Finally for X3, i decided to benefit from player made mods!

-----PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE/A LIST OF WHAT MODS YOU **ABSOLUTLEY** RECOMMEND FOR X3. (Mods that DOESN'T UNbalance the game, but make it EASIER/ MORE Fun)------

I checked the very useful mod library on the forums, ALAS there are soo many mods, and so much info/opinions on them that im a bit confused, so i decided to ask fellow X players directly for their esteemed advice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear reader, i would also like to take your attention to the fact that, i LOVED the previous X games, BUT my only gripe was the fact that, combat WASNT lucrative enough for me. I could make tons of more money by trade or other peaceful manners (factories etc etc.....).
(PS as for ''roleplaying'' purposes, i hate pirates, shoot them on sight and dont wanna be one, AND i HATE CAPPING ships. (meaning that i really, really dont like the (for me) adorous process of killing the pilote of a ship and ''hauling'' it back for profit.
What i enjoed the most were; Killing off other races (hostiles) AND pirate ships and getting paid for it in the process, with my ''POLICE'' licence. The problem was, it was usually HARD to find a suitable prey, and even if i could emerge victorious, i would end up with just a tiny monotary (cash) bonus to my account, which in my opinion, was NOT worth it.

SO, IS THERE A MOD TO MAKE THE GAME MORE **PROFITABLE** TO COMBAT ORIENTED PLAYERS?? (LIKE MORE CASH FOR EACH ''PIRATE,HOSTILE'' YOU KILL, OR MORE SUITABLE PREY, OR WHATEVER???????????????)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, can anybody give me a vauge idea on how i can ''install'' the mods/scripts..??
So far, i have installed a few ones, YET they included NO readme. For exammple, i found out about a very cool (player made) ship for X3, the ''Terran Battleship ODIN''. I downloaded it and got only got a single file,,, a script?? Where do i put it?? Is there a scripts folder under X3, where you simply put the file in there and it starts to work??
I would be very appriciative to anyone who provide some user guidance for such mods!

IF YOU HAVE READ IT ALL SO FAR, THAN YOU ARE A **FREAKING ANGEL**!!!!
**THANK YOU** IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ADVICE'N TIPS YOU MAY GIVE ME AND GOD BLESS YE'!!!!

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 06:10

ook, first off, its best if you know the difference between mods and scripts as it can be quite important as you select what you want.

in the community mods sticky, the scripts and mods are in different sections, the mod list is close to the bottom and is a smaller list, the rest are scripts.

Scripts generally add new files into the game and effect the game while its running dynamically, so these could be changes to AI, new commands/wares, missions, bbs stuff, al plugins, etc. The usual files that come with these are xml files

mods edit the exciting files, and these usually come as 2 files, a .dat and .cat file. In general you can only run one of these at a time. Mods usually change weapons and ships, add new ships, changes to the universe, new stations, etc. These are done at runtime.

the ship mods like DDRS and Xtended are mods, and you can only run one of the, not both.

scripts on the otherhand generally run together so you can run as many of these as you like.

To install scripts depends on the filetype of the scripts, usually they will come as either a .spk file or as an archived file like .zip or .rar.
the spk files you use the Script Manager to install these, just install the script manager select the correct directory and install any spk files you wish.
The other files you need to install manually which usually means extracting the files into the correct directories.

also one more thing to note, if you get any ship mods that are in .XSP files, then you need the Ship Manager, these are different to normal mods as you cna combine many ships togther and add them onto an existing mod using the Ship Manager.

For scripts to make combat more profitiable, you could try some of my Guild Scripts, they add various missions, quite a few combat related ones, so you can earn money doing combat

pepperg
x3tc

where to begin? need a list of 'essentials'

Post by pepperg » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 06:52

okay, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing--

i'm downloading x3 on steam right now and see so many scripts and mods here that i have no idea where to begin. just as x2 had the very helpful all in one mod pack, i would really appreciate maybe a top 5 or top 10 list of essential mods & scripts- those commonly deemed as 'must haves' as far as improving x3.

i'm kinda overwhelmed by the choices here.

since i don't have a particular play style and haven't started yet, i don't have any specific pressing need i am looking to tweak or fix in the game. well, i do like combat a lot, so anything that might improve that.

anyhow, a few suggestions on a handful or list of essential mods and scripts that make x3 a better game (fix flaws, improve what already exists, add new stuff, etc) would be greatly appreciated.

ps- i have already downloaded the cockpit mod by imp posted on the downloads section of the site here, although i notice it listed as x3cockpitmod1.0- does this mean it's designed for x3 1.3 or that the mod itself is in its 3rd iteration?

noticed this link for galaxy's cockpit callback:

http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0
curious to know the diff't btwn his and imps.

did also notice there is also a minimal hud mod, which sounds like it might be nice to have in addition to the cockpits. didn't see any screenies of it in action, so i am not 100% of what it does.

is it available for 1.4 and would it work in tandem w/ imp's cockpit mod?
thanks folks :)

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 07:07

lol you again :)

There's a similar topic 2 line before. Anyway, If you're more interested in the combat part of the game i would recommand the following scripts.

- Race Response Fleet - from LV
It will make military ships more clever. They will jump to protect race assets.

- Xenon Migration - from Cycrow
To get back the migration of Xenon ships across sectors (like in X2)

- Yaki Armada - from me :p
Yaki pirates that will get a brain, and use mobile bases with jumpdrive to attack race assets. . It also feature a guild system you can join if you wanna be a pirate (else you'll be paid by the police for their destruction)

- the various Guilds from Cycrow
Assassin Guild, Race Military, and more

- RS.Turret Defence - from RedSpot
Excellent script to handle turrets efficiently

- Terracorp Combat Pilots - from Myrros
Not really improving combat behaviours, but you can hire and manage pilots. Experienced pilots will get bonuses (overtuning, free missiles). Fun script.

- Anarkis Carrier Commands - from me (again)
Needed if you want to manage your carriers (M1/TL) efficiently (useless if you don't own one yet).

- Sector TakeOver - from acrh2, DesertEagle and nirwin
Nice script allowing to take over sectors.

About the cockpit mod, yes as the topic said itself, it's 1.4 compatible. Minimal HUD is also compatible with 1.4.
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

pepperg
x3tc

Post by pepperg » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 07:15

heh, yeah i tried to do a search for posts made under my name cuz i know i posted this same topic several months back. couldn't get the search to work and i couldn't be bothered looking for my post. was dumb of me not to notice the same post 2 posts down though...

:)

thanks

since i'm starting out the game right now, are there any mods or scripts i would immediately benefit from, as oppossed to ones that will make their influence felt when i have progressed further with more resources?

it might be a sensible approach to download them as i need them.

so, any good ones from the get go?

Krelian
x3

Post by Krelian » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 07:47

Cycrow, THANK you.

I had several questions, and your answers were especially helpful on ''how to'' section.
Now i know the diffrence between a mod and script,
Also, i have an idea on what it is and how to install it when i see a ''SPK'' file etc...

i checked out your mods.

There are two ''*major*'' mods both requiring ''EMP'' (''Allsripts'', AND there is also ''Guild Scripts'')
Does that mean that they dont require Script Manager Installer/Packager , and INSTEAD they are solely installed using the EMP ???

AND

If i want all your scripts PLUS The guild pack, should i;
1-Install both emp files, or?
2-Just install the ''Allsripts'' file, since it includes guild scripts as well??

DOES the above files (the two ''big'' EMP files) include your so called ''cheats'' as well?

Oh, and sorry for asking so many questions, BUT they ARE indeed compatible with the latest version of the game, aye?
Last edited by Krelian on Fri, 28. Jul 06, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.

Krelian
x3

Post by Krelian » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 07:55

And still, my question endures,
What do you people recommend for me to use??
The mods that *YOU* like ????
The mods that make combat more profitable???

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOW;NOW DON'T BE SHY!!
Im not going to come PPC's blasting at your door if i dont like your suggestions!!!
Feel free to give advice & stuff !!
THX!!

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 15:03

ok, EMP is basically a mod that adds new wares into the game for scripters to use, and is used by quite a few scripts, you can use the spk version and install it via the Script Manager, it is seperate however.

the "All Scripts" package is basically all of my scripts in a single file you can installed, this does include all the guilds, and the Guild pack is just my guild scripts without all the others, if you could download them seperatly if you prefered, the 2 script packs just make it easier if you want them all as you only have to download and install one file. It is also installed via the Script Manager.

for the spk version of emp, get it gtom Here Just install it like any other script via the Script Manager.

The all in one script pack doesn't include the cheats, for those you have to get them seperatly.

There are compatable with the latest versions, u'll find that scripts are usually compapatable when new patches come out

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 16:25

i like th xfp mod, not out yet but will be in 2 days. includes lots of new ships sectores and the best scripts from this forum.

Krelian
x3

Post by Krelian » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 17:40

Hey, Killerog, i checked out the new xsp mod, and indeed it sounds awesome.
I checked out each and every ship picture i could get my hands on, drooling all over 'em for half an'freaking hour.
I absolutley like that mod, STILL, i have once complaint about it;
-The ship detail seems to be inconsistent.

What im trying to tell is; some ships are uber looking and very well made/detailed, while some others seem like they were ''rushed out of the shipyards'' too soon for their own good, in a way that they cant keep up with the quality level of some other XSP ships and the stock ships of the game.

Well, the above is JUST my humble opinion, nothing more.
When it all comes down,its definetely a mod worth of giving a shot! (Well, sure, its not out yet, BUT IF it does what it promises WITHOUT bugs/or eventually with fixes)
Ty!

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 17:49

@pepperg : np :) You'll probably be interestted in advanced jumpdrive which is pretty handy compared to the default jumpdrive. But honestly, if you're just starting the game you should wait a little before using scripts, because most of those are designed for heavy players, traders or fighters. You should also install Race Response Fleets as it will make the universe safer for a new player, and the various BBS scripts from Cycrow to have more interesting BBS messages.
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

Krelian
x3

Post by Krelian » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 17:50

Cycrow wrote:ok, EMP is basically a mod that adds new wares into the game for scripters to use, and is used by quite a few scripts, you can use the spk version and install it via the Script Manager, it is seperate however.

the "All Scripts" package is basically all of my scripts in a single file you can installed, this does include all the guilds, and the Guild pack is just my guild scripts without all the others, if you could download them seperatly if you prefered, the 2 script packs just make it easier if you want them all as you only have to download and install one file. It is also installed via the Script Manager.

for the spk version of emp, get it gtom Here Just install it like any other script via the Script Manager.

The all in one script pack doesn't include the cheats, for those you have to get them seperatly.

There are compatable with the latest versions, u'll find that scripts are usually compapatable when new patches come out

Cycrow it seems like you sure are making it as easy as possible for the community to enjoy your/others scripts and such.

First install the script menager, and preferably ship menager too, than install the spk version of the emp, conveniently using the script menager,,, nice, NICE!
And you have made lotsa scripts, which seem like they DONT destroy the balance of the game, SIMPLY make it more FUN! And your guild scripts help the combatants as well as peaceful types. AND all-in-one packages??? SWEET! The deal can't get any better than that!

pepperg
x3tc

Post by pepperg » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 18:45

thanks a lot folks- i really appreciate it

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 21:18

Krelian wrote:Hey, Killerog, i checked out the new xsp mod, and indeed it sounds awesome.
I checked out each and every ship picture i could get my hands on, drooling all over 'em for half an'freaking hour.

What im trying to tell is; some ships are uber looking and very well made/detailed, while some others seem like they were ''rushed out of the shipyards'' too soon for their own good, in a way that they cant keep up with the quality level of some other XSP ships and the stock ships of the game.

When it all comes down,its definetely a mod worth of giving a shot! (Well, sure, its not out yet, BUT IF it does what it promises WITHOUT bugs/or eventually with fixes)
Ty!

Its XFP not XSP lol.

Thats because they are from different ppl.

The joys of thsi mod is it allows u to choice wot ships u fly, Ai only uses a few of them. So u only ones u will c ar ethe ones u use.

Syklon
x3

Post by Syklon » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 22:17

not to rob any of the glory from the great modders over at XFP, but Xtended .6 (also coming next few days :) ) is going to be mindblowingly-awesome
we still havent fully disclosed all of our featurelist, but what i can tell you about:
lots of new ships, all x-uninverse, balanced, used by the AI, all amazing (better than ES by quite a margin) quality, with new turrets, animated guns, visible exhaust trails behind our ships and standard ES fighters (m3/4/5)
new ships will be filling in the new classes, the entire frigate m7 class is still there from previous releases, joining them will be the military m6s, which are slightly better m6s meant to help fill the m6-7 gap, m8 class for special op frigates, atm currently announced are an argon drone frigate, a split light carrier, and paranid missile frigate (featureing the new heavy missile gun), not mention ships being added to old classes, besides the entire Terran race getting filled out much better w/ mulitple new ships there will also be a new race taken out of x-universe lore which we havent revealed yet

then of course there are the non-ship features, which affect evey aspect fo the game, whether you are in an Xtended ship or not, and make everything so much cooler (esp. combat :) ):
New visible missile trails, several types for the differant kinds of missiles
Engine and exhaust trails for XTM and some ES ships
New impact and launch effects for some weapons
Certain rebalances to weapons that, while maintaining their previous balance, provide a significant boost in fps (one of our testers had a 10-15 fps increase while fighting the final battle from the plot)

and i'm sure ive still forgotten lots of features, but you get the idea :)

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 22:25

im sure u do not have 140+ships or lots of the best scipts.

we have a new race which only starting out in this version

100 new sectores

a moon base hahahaha

fully animated eath and other sol planets.

hidden goodies

we have the starting of m7 and m8 classes as well as m0s being added to each race.

This version is no where hear the final version. v1.1 wil be huge with better effects more ships and so on.

lets not start a fight 8) :lol:

Syklon
x3

Post by Syklon » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 23:13

hey hey, come on killerog, i was just trying to inform the OP that XFP isnt the only mod out there, DDRS is also a great mod if you want non-x-universe ships such as Star Wars, babylon 5, bsg, etc. although i guess you also have all their ships at this point, although they have missions and stuff to get them, i dont know if you do :?

and there are advantages and disadvantages to the way both of our mods do things, i mean look:

you can add any of the scripts you want to Xtended, but we dont clutter your comp with ones you dont want, so i guess it depends on which way you prefer to have it, having it all in one easy package has its advantages as well

its true we dont have a custom galaxy at the moment, but that also means we can be save game compatible so you don't have to start over, so once again down to preferance

140 ships, quality over quantity for us, adding all those ships into the universe so the AI uses them like they do ours would lag things up, again preferance, we also keep our ships limited to the x-universe, its all down to whether you want lots of interesting player ships to play with or if you want to feel like all the added ships are added to the universe, so again down to preferance

moon base, meet Dyson Sphere, DS, meet moon base, k so we both have very large, dockable objects, yours a moon, ours is a giant metallic sphere with animated parts and some other really cool stuff we havent shown yet, both are great :)

congrats on the planets, since we dont have a custom universe yet we can hardly go around adding planets can we? :lol:

you have hidden goodies, we have hidden goodies, s'all good :D

starting of m7 and m8 classes, well just don't forget who added those first :P i'm interested in how you guys are defining the m8, as i seem to remeber you guys having one or two of these before we had really defined what ours are. Adding m0s is rather impressive, we havent added any since the Leviathan since they take forever to model to a good standard, and since they are so unbalancing and an upper end ship we've been focusing on lower end ships first

and of course everyone is looking forward to the next releases from both of us, as we'll keep adding more and more great stuff, so its just great for the community

and i forgot this in my last post (please this is not a one-upmanship, i was coming back to edit my post when i saw killerog's)
ship explosions, better looking and they actually hide the ship disappearing (unlike the old ES ones)

anyway all in all it comes down to what you want. I hope both our mods can keep producing such great stuff and i'm sure the community will agree

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 23:20

ok lol

Both xtended DDRS and Xfp mods have gd points so up to u want one u want.
[/quote]

Krelian
x3

Post by Krelian » Sat, 29. Jul 06, 02:00

Serial Kicked wrote:@pepperg : np :) You'll probably be interestted in advanced jumpdrive which is pretty handy compared to the default jumpdrive. But honestly, if you're just starting the game you should wait a little before using scripts, because most of those are designed for heavy players, traders or fighters. You should also install Race Response Fleets as it will make the universe safer for a new player, and the various BBS scripts from Cycrow to have more interesting BBS messages.
I know this post is made for somebody other than myself,
but i just wanted to point out that i have actually the opposite idea when it comes to mods&scripts.
I prefer to install BOTH long term, AND short term scripts BEFORE i even start a new (NON-testing=serious) game., so that later on, when im more advanced, i dont have to go looking for mods in the middle of my gaming session,
PLUS
there is always the SLIGHT possibility that you Will INVALIDATE your savegames somehow by inserting a script(/or a mod for that matter) LATER ON in the game.
IF you can get everything you need ''in one go'' BEFORE starting a new game, you could find out about ''incompabilities'' and other ''errors'' /bugs so that, you won't possibly lose hours of gameplay much later.

To sum up, i just think that its a much safer/convenient way to get all the scripts(etc) you could possibly want in the beginning, be it they are for early or later game sessions.
Last edited by Krelian on Sat, 29. Jul 06, 03:23, edited 3 times in total.

Krelian
x3

Post by Krelian » Sat, 29. Jul 06, 02:48

killerog wrote:
Krelian wrote:Hey, Killerog, i checked out the new xsp mod, and indeed it sounds awesome.

Ty!

Its XFP not XSP lol.

Thats because they are from different ppl.

The joys of thsi mod is it allows u to choice wot ships u fly, Ai only uses a few of them. So u only ones u will c ar ethe ones u use.

im sorry, don't kill me, lol!
THX for enlightening me though! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SWEET!! :D

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”