[Script] Universe Explorers v1.0.1: Update Apr. 16

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Should the following be added?

Hire Explorers from the BBS
12%
Options to customize satellite deployment
18%
Both!
65%
Neither, go make some other script 7ate9tin11s
4%

Total votes: 92

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Mon, 7. Apr 08, 20:15

Was going to start a new game today, and wondered if you were going to keep the same data set as you add in new features to this script. i.e. can we install and use it now, and rely on keeping the explorers we trained up as you expand the code?

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Tue, 8. Apr 08, 04:04

There are no changes to the dataset and even if there were the upgrades are made to be transparent from version 0.8 onwards (As the notes say the explorers will restart the script themselves, upgrade their data, and continue exploring automatically). However, I am running the final tests on 1.0 today and hope to release it in a few hours time.... :lol:

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Tue, 8. Apr 08, 04:36

Excellent, thanks for the reply. I wasn't about to use the script on a fully explored game, but will happily install it on a fresh one.

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Tue, 8. Apr 08, 09:14

Version 1.0.0 Released

Upgraders will notice two as their explorers automatically change versions

1. All the existing explorers will go buy Navigational Software and Shields if they need them. Most likely they will need the Navigational Software.
2. Any explorers with default ship names will have their names automatically changed.

As far as I know there should be no problems when upgrading, but if there are then you will need to just stop your explorers, save, exit, upgrade, then manually restart them after loading your game.

For the rest of the changes please look through the first post for :!: which show the latest changes.

I have extensively tested all but one feature of this release. The one missing test is the sector name vocals in vanilla (I did not feel like uninstalling XTM...again). While I know they work fine in XTM I do not know if the universe orientation is changed or offset making the vocals wrong in vanilla. You will be able to tell when an explorer is attacked and you get the "Emergency Signal From SectorName". Please tell me if it does not work right in vanilla and I will make a quick patch :D

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Tue, 8. Apr 08, 10:10

Grabbed Downloaded and installed, restarting x3 ;)

Legionnaire

Psycho0124

Post by Psycho0124 » Thu, 10. Apr 08, 00:31

7ate9tin11s wrote:While I know they work fine in XTM I do not know if the universe orientation is changed or offset making the vocals wrong in vanilla. You will be able to tell when an explorer is attacked and you get the "Emergency Signal From SectorName". Please tell me if it does not work right in vanilla and I will make a quick patch :D
I've been using the updated script today and it called out the sector correctly every time. Very helpful to know immediately where the poor bastard is being attacked. Also I noticed the survivability is MUCH better with this version. Great job on the changes to the exp system as well. It is not so difficult to train the little guys up later in the game.

All and all, the update really makes this script shine. Helluva good job man and much thanks for the awesome script!

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Thu, 10. Apr 08, 07:19

Well I have retested everything and with the information that the sector naming conversion is working correctly in Vanilla I have decided to submit this script for signing. It is one I would want in a fresh unmodified game :)

As a second note, I released the first public version of Improved Kha'ak today for those that want a little more danger in the universe. It can be found at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=204448
Be careful though: :khaak: + :twisted: = :skull:

:lol: :lol:

Hmmm, I should rewrite and re-release my old pirate terrorism scripts next...

*wanders away from the thread* :roll:

JMagar
x4

Post by JMagar » Fri, 11. Apr 08, 23:34

I talked to Legionnaire earlier for help, but i still have problems with this script.

fresh install of game then patch then bonus pack then mods and scripts, other mods seem to be working but now the explorer software is not available. Have looked in Ceo's Buckzoid, and Seizewell. no luck. have quit game, uninstalled this script, and reinstalled it still no luck finding it. Any help would be appreciated.

It seems I found the problem.

Seems to be some kind of conflict with Devest's Satellite Deployment script. Remove the sat deploy script and the explorer soft is now back in the equip dock.

Again thanks for the help earlier Legionnaire.

Phier
x3tc

Post by Phier » Sun, 13. Apr 08, 23:12

I started a new game this weekend using the current version of the script.

I bought an explorer from the BBS.

First thing it did was buy navigation software...good.

Then it bought swarm missiles... well I don't want him fighting but ok good.

Then it wanted to buy a triplex scanner. Problem is I haven't 'discovered'
where those are located yet in game, so its sitting there at the swarm missile base doing nothing.

They need to learn to 'make do' with whatever wares are available.

Edit:Ok even a bit odder. It HAS a triplex scanner, but is now sitting outside the swarm missile factory waiting to buy fighter drones.

Edit2: Ok I let it pout for a while and now its doing its own thing ok. I guess its just a slow shopper :P
Last edited by Phier on Mon, 14. Apr 08, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.

Balto

Post by Balto » Mon, 14. Apr 08, 03:48

This is an awesome script.

I'm not aware of the specific requirements for getting a script signed,
but Universe Explorers seems like a great candidate to me:
It provides a lot of fun and functionality without requiring a twenty-page manual of esoteric commands and requirements to operate.
Bravo!

This is probably a stretch, but I'll ask anyway:
Would you consider adding the option for universe explorers
to deploy and maintain satellites in a "box" formation like this script?

I'm still using this old script by Bhruic/Gazz because it's the
only one I'm aware of that offers the box deployment option.
It's an old script however, and it shows:
-No jumpdrive use
-Poor survivability (compared to Universe Explorers)
-Limited sector exploration functionality
-Lacking in the "immersion" department

I can continue to use both scripts of course but it seems redundant
to have multiple "explorer" scripts running simultaneously.
It requires twice as many ships too :(

Of course the small cargo bays of M4/M5 ships would severely
limit the effectiveness of this idea unless you're willing to allow
universe explorers to pilot larger ships.
M6 explorer/sat-deployers would be an attractive option to me.

-Peace

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Mon, 14. Apr 08, 05:50

@JMagar
Thanks for finding the conflict, I will add it to the first post.

@Phier
Experience also brings wisdom, the pilot will purchase wares needed to explore more efficiently and, eventually, will just order in wares to the edges of space so they never have to stop exploring. Then again their new addiction to exploring is just as bad as their old space weed/fuel addictions due to the 10% delivery surcharge!
Freshly bought explorers of high enough level will just order in parts they need. If you watch you will see a ts vessel jump into the sector, head to the explorer, and transport the part they need. :D

@Balto

Hmmm, a complete coverage satellite deployment option is a possibility. It would probably be a bit more than a box in some sectors though :D . As for cargo space, just use Goner Rangers, they have alot of cargo space...a bit slow though ><;;

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Mon, 14. Apr 08, 06:46

As a feature request, I would like to see pilots contacting me with a request to "upgrade" their ship type. They could sell the old, and purchase a type that I've approved their request for. All equipment would be transferred, and they could start upgrading the new with tunings, better equipment, etc.

The reason I suggest this, is that all of my explorers hired so far start out with crappy little M5 or M4 ships - I have never seen anything bigger than a Buster. And they just don't have the defenses to wander into unexplored sectors in my game (like Earth), and yet they still try. Not only do they enter, but despite the presence of enemies they continue to explore those dangerous sectors and adjacent ones of the same hostile race. It might be an exception due to using XTM and still not being Terran-friendly, but 75% of my explorers have died either in Terran sectors, or in other hostile/unknown sectors.

Otherwise, a good script.

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Mon, 14. Apr 08, 09:41

@ Jaga
Overview

Player owned M4, M5, and Goner Rangers may hire a pilot by choosing "Start Universe Explorer..." from the navigation commands. The ship must be equipped with Explorer Software from the official bonus pack.
the original idea and abilities of this script limited pilots to specific craft, and i think a lot of people would agree that transferring them to a different class , would detract from the script not add to it.

Legionnaire

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Mon, 14. Apr 08, 09:57

That's fine, and I understand the reasoning behind it for roleplay purposes. It simply detracts from their survivability and raises the overall cost of using them. I would think however that even a M3 would have enough shielding to protect one trying to escape from danger, and it would allow it to jump in emergencies. The M4 variants just don't have enough space to hold jumpfuel and equipment.

I was rather excited to use it with a new game, and liked seeing new sectors pop up from time to time. But that newness has worn off, and I'm simply letting those I have hired die without replacing them. Even the level 24 that I somehow found and hired died within a couple of hours for whatever reason, which surprised me.

At an average cost of 120k for hiring the explorer (buying their ship/services), and an average lifetime (in my game) of 3 hours, it works out to 40k/hour, give or take. It is because of this that I wouldn't recommend budding players (or games) hire explorers - wait until you have some cash under your belt.

Just my .02

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Tue, 15. Apr 08, 02:08

Any ship owned by the player with Navigational Command Software installed can drop a permanent navigational warning beacon to prevent explorers from entering a sector. Elena's Fortune in XTM is a good example sector for this. The command can be found under in your Navigational commands menu and these beacons cost 2000 credits to pay for the permits and raw materials needed.
is this including or excluding players own ship? and if you drop a permanent warning in Pirate alley how long do you reckon it would stay for? as ive just lost 1 lvl 20 and 1 lvl 24 in pirate alley, before they got a chance to drop beacons. i got warning and then the contact lost message

Legionnaire

*edit' neither my playership or any other ship that i equip nav software on is able to drop permanent beacons. is there a specific command number for this command? just in case something else im running is conflicting?
*/edit*

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Tue, 15. Apr 08, 04:38

It could be a conflict, the command should appear if you have Navigational Software on any player ship of any size. The command number is COMMAND_TYPE_NAV_33 and it should appear directly below the 'Move Universe Explorer Pilot' command in the navigation menu (or close to the bottom on non-explorers). I don't see any conflicts listed under the community post so please tell me if you figure out what it is :) .

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Tue, 15. Apr 08, 13:19

well been through the plug in manager, no conflicts or even potential conflicts showing for that command. its not available on any ships i own, not even on ships currently running Universe Explorers. theres not an AL toggle ive missed or anything like that?

Legionnaire

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Wed, 16. Apr 08, 04:07

I forgot to include the proper setup file for the player beacons...uploading a fix right now new minor version will be posted in a minute :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Wed, 16. Apr 08, 12:38

Missing Command has appeared now cheers muchly 7ate9tin11s

Legionnaire

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Thu, 17. Apr 08, 01:31

OK i reckon im doing something wrong. Let me explain

i flew into LoomankStrats, which is where i have lost every Explorer thats died so far in this game. i had lost a lvl 24 and i believe it was a 19. Hence wanting to drop a permanent hazard Beacon.

Anyway i flew in to drop a beacon , let it go and got out fast.

5 minutes later i got the message remote connection lost. My new level 19 that i just hired off the bbs has flown straight ou of the south gate in Ceo's Doubt into ---- Loomanks.... while there is a Warning Beacon there :!:

do we need to rename them or something?? :?: :?:

totally lost

Legionnaire :oops:

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”