What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

berth
x4

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by berth » Mon, 22. Apr 19, 23:03

Just started watching Westworld S1 on Now TV (which we signed up to in order to watch GoT). Only 2 episodes in but so far so intriguing.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 23. Apr 19, 19:06

So Game Of Thrones is back.

Is anyone watching, or it's too main stream for the thread? ;)
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 23. Apr 19, 19:27

Watched the 2 new Episodes, feel it has been slow considering its 2 out of 6 final episodes and not really much happened plot wise, but I feel next week s***t will hit the fan.
Bit disappointed due to over-hype, hope the remaining ones are worth it, otherwise the internet will explode (maybe it explodes regardless).

MFG

Ketraar

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 23. Apr 19, 22:14

fiksal wrote:
Tue, 23. Apr 19, 19:06
So Game Of Thrones is back.

Is anyone watching, or it's too main stream for the thread? ;)
I intravenously inject "Game of Thrones" episodes every Sunday...
Ketraar wrote:
Tue, 23. Apr 19, 19:27
Watched the 2 new Episodes, feel it has been slow considering its 2 out of 6 final episodes and not really much happened plot wise, but I feel next week s***t will hit the fan.
Bit disappointed due to over-hype, hope the remaining ones are worth it, otherwise the internet will explode (maybe it explodes regardless).
While I respect your opinion, of course, and one is surely allowed to prefer certain sorts of stories, I have to say that you're completely wrong... :)

They have been moving the development of all the character stories and interactions at a breakneck speed for these past two episodes. They have been focused on tying up loose ends and stopping further rambling arcs in their tracks. Entirely. They are tidying up all the characters, their relationships, cementing the "important" stuff and giving some resolution for bits that fans really want. That's what all that "slow" stuff was. They've given the viewer "closure" on every single character, sometimes pairs, sometimes more than one, in most those scenes. Where they have not done so, they've obviously left those questions and plots as fodder for the rest of the series. Heck, they even brought in Lyanna Mormont to talk to Jorah... If any fan wondered "OMG Wat will happen when Jorah and Lyanna meet?" they were answered in a few seconds of film. Just a few seconds, a quick nod of the head and that entire possible arc is asked-and-answered in one short scene. _Done_

What they're doing is isolating "The Big Things." These are the things that weren't just neato-interesting-drama stuffs between and about characters during the series. ie: "The Plot." So, for instance, when the final credits roll you won't be wondering "So, what was that whole thing with Arya and Gendry? I mean, there was something possibly there and now we'll never know and dangit I HATE THEM FOR NOT SHOWING TEH WHAT IFF!" :)

The proof? How many "New Season, New Plot/Mystery/Drama Storyline Starts" has there been? The answer is one in two parts that could be connected.
Spoiler
Show
Daenarys<sp> bloodthirsty hankering for total domination of the Seven Kingdoms and the revelation of Jon's lineage and the conflict presented by his possible claim coupled with Sansa's concern over how Daenary's <sp> views The North. This, either all of it or both parts, is obviously going to be resolved, somehow, this Season. No real additional tidbits except a certain rogue who now has a crossbow and a mission... I have no idea why in the heck they did that, since it's unnecessary drama and I can't see it as being very interesting. But, Bron is a very popular character so that may be the only way they could think of to get him out of King's Landing and into the finale. The man better end up with a castle...

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 23. Apr 19, 22:29

Yes I'm aware they were tiding up and all, still 2h worth of tidying is a bit much, move it along already. As for the Arya Gnejry thing is exactly a good example of a forced scene, we didnt really need to see that side boob, yes she go laid, good for her, still not relevant at all. I mean its like convention worth of people giving nods, this could have been done in 1 episode, 2 is stretching it imho. Anyway, its done now and it was not bad, just that waiting 2 years for having 2h worth of fan service is really annoying.

MFG

Ketraar

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Tue, 23. Apr 19, 22:37

the last episode of GOT was leaked early on the internet on sunday
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 23. Apr 19, 22:49

Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Tue, 23. Apr 19, 22:37
the last episode of GOT was leaked early on the internet on sunday
You mean "Episode 2" of this Season, the one that just aired on Sunday, right? Surely, you don't mean the very last episode of this Season? I hope that's not what you mean! The outcry... There may be riots! :)
Ketraar wrote:
Tue, 23. Apr 19, 22:29
Yes I'm aware they were tiding up and all, still 2h worth of tidying is a bit much, move it along already. As for the Arya Gnejry thing is exactly a good example of a forced scene, we didnt really need to see that side boob, yes she go laid, good for her, still not relevant at all. I mean its like convention worth of people giving nods, this could have been done in 1 episode, 2 is stretching it imho. Anyway, its done now and it was not bad, just that waiting 2 years for having 2h worth of fan service is really annoying.
I agree that scene, as long as it went on, wasn't needed. Further, I'd also agree that it was "fan service." I'd also say it did not serve the storyline OR the character, to be quite honest. They focused for so long trying to portray her as a broken, inhuman, killing machine... Now what? We got a weird sort of uncaring stare from her at the last of that and... uh... OK, so why the whole scene, then? As you say - Fan Service. (To be honest, the whole scene made me uncomfortable. For the character, not because of any boobishness. GoT is "Boobs and Peen with Swords and Dragons" after all. But, even though it's implied some time has passed during all of these seasons, Arya and even Sansa are still very young. I can't remember their ages atm, but Sansa was supposed to be 14 when she was married to Tyrian and Arya is a few years younger than she. Not quite sure how the seasons stack up in terms of a "timeline" of years, though.

You are free to be annoyed! I can certainly see that coming from a segment of fans. But, I haven't been annoyed yet since I now have something to live for. :) (Did you know that the next episode of Game of Thrones is only a tad under five days away! Srsly, for true... :) )

Dah dum da da da dah dum da da da daaaaaaahhh...

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 24. Apr 19, 08:04

The TV series doesn't go with the same timescale as the books--it can't, because the actors are obviously aging in real life as they do in the series. Arya was supposed to be 9 years old at the start of the books, for instance, but Maisie Williams was 14 when the series started and is in her 20s now.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 24. Apr 19, 15:16

Is GOT any good? As it's on sky/ now TV it would involve another subscription.
A flower?

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 24. Apr 19, 15:49

I got it on HBO, its 5€/Month here and like with Netflix it can be canceled at any time. I got the first month free so it would serve to try it and see if its anything you'd like to watch.

MFG

Ketraar

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 24. Apr 19, 19:12

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 24. Apr 19, 08:04
The TV series doesn't go with the same timescale as the books--it can't, because the actors are obviously aging in real life as they do in the series. Arya was supposed to be 9 years old at the start of the books, for instance, but Maisie Williams was 14 when the series started and is in her 20s now.
Agreed/Understood

They have hinted, here and there, about "years" of time passing. IIRC, one blatant "hint" of that was in one of the scenes focused on Daenary's<sp> back when she had conquered the city with the flying booby statue... :) In the books, again IIRC, a similar line was dropped by Tyrian as he was traveling at some point.

I would guess that some fan, somewhere, has done a thorough analysis and come up with a realistic timeline for everything that ever happened in the show. It'd be almost impossible that this hasn't been done by somebody.

Aaaaand - https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline

And, yes, there's a big friggin' discussion of the timeline and Arya's age in the series and this and that and more esoteric stuff with the ultimate verdict being... "dunno for sure." :)

One thing interesting with Arya - In the original treatment presented by Martin to HBO, Arya was supposed to marry Jon near the end of the series. Some sort of thing was going to happen where she had fallen in love with her "half brother" and then eventually makes her way to Castle Black or Jon, after he leaves The Watch, comes back to get her or some such. That would be consistent with Martin marrying off every darn female in the series at 14 years old or so if we go with one of the more probable "timelines" for the show. (Probably building on the idea of marriage conventions in the Middle Ages or some such. Not saying he's creepy or anything.)

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 24. Apr 19, 19:23

Pretty much what I was going to say about the new GoT episodes was already said. I am little disappointed in the slow build up, but it was fun to watch the show address almost every character, every conflict between them.

Is it me though, or are the show writers and Martin are less keen on killing off main characters now? Or is it calm before the storm?
Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
Wed, 24. Apr 19, 15:16
Depends on what you like. If you enjoy fantasy worlds, but will less magic and more brutal reality of the middle ages, this is a good watch. I think, if you watch a few episodes of the first season, you'll probably know if you'd like the rest of it.

I dont see a way for me to get HBO Go where I live, so I purchased Crave TV (online steaming service) + HBO subscription on month to month.

Btw, all earlier seasons are on Amazon Prime as well. I've bought them all basically this way.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 25. Apr 19, 09:52

- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 26. Apr 19, 01:51

fiksal wrote:
Wed, 24. Apr 19, 19:23
Is it me though, or are the show writers and Martin are less keen on killing off main characters now? Or is it calm before the storm?
I imagine quite a few characters are "marked for death" right now. They basically did a bunch of "clean up" for the fans. Now, everything has condensed down to just a few major plot lines with few "what's gonna happen with ___" left to deal with.

The worst thing is the whole "Bron and his new crossbow" bit... That's "new." We've only got a few episodes left and we don't need "new stuff" taking up our valuable time. :)
Depends on what you like. If you enjoy fantasy worlds, but will less magic and more brutal reality of the middle ages, this is a good watch. I think, if you watch a few episodes of the first season, you'll probably know if you'd like the rest of it.
If you're a "War of the Roses" kind of historical fan, then you'd like Game of Thrones. Martin's inspiration for writing a fantasy series based on the skullduggery and backstabbing of the Plantagenets et al is what fueled "A Song of Ice and Fire." If you like political machinations, treachery, Shakespeare's "Kings" series, etc, then "Game of Thrones" is perfect for you. Plus, there's bewbs and swords and dragons and not a few jangly-bits (If you're into that).
I dont see a way for me to get HBO Go where I live, so I purchased Crave TV (online steaming service) + HBO subscription on month to month.

Btw, all earlier seasons are on Amazon Prime as well. I've bought them all basically this way.
I used to buy the boxed sets. When I was practically living at a relative's house trying to take care of them I had nothing other than basic cable to deal with if I wanted to watch TV. (Which I usually didn't watch, anyway.) So, the boxed sets kept me up to speed. (That's not an option for everyone, I know.)

"Game of Thrones" is the most pirated series there is and the producers are kind of proud of that fact. They may not like it very much, but they're still proud of it. :)

Anyone want to make a prediction on who's going to die on Sunday? :) Keep in mind that we're nearing the end... There isn't "room" for some of what some fans think is going to happen or what they want to see. Almost all the favorite characters are in the limelight, now and this is "Game of Thrones." That means somebody gunna die.

"What's the worst that could happen but will not force fans to stop watching?"

^--- That's what's going to happen. What is it?

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sun, 28. Apr 19, 01:22

Don't get it through Sky, get it through NowTV. Exact same shows and channels, but much cheaper, no sky box, etc. Completely legit. Cinema pass and entertainment pass comes in at under £20/month, and gives you all the Sky Cinema and various channels (Atlantic, One, etc) you'd get with a Sky box. And it's "dip-in", like Netflix and Prime.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sun, 28. Apr 19, 18:48

esd wrote:
Sun, 28. Apr 19, 01:22
get it through NowTV.
I forgot it was on there. I have a Now TV account that I only use for the special offers as there doesn't seem a huge amount that appeals to me on there ( that isn't available somewhere else). I'll give it a go next time they send me one of the "3 months for a fiver" offers. (I did watch some formula one last year but that day pass is getting expensive and if you don't follow football the sport subscriptions are very expensive)
A flower?

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 30. Apr 19, 21:30

I can tell you the one thing I'm not watching... is Game of Thrones.

I'm listening to it, but I'm buggered if I can see anything.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 1. May 19, 01:28

Chips wrote:
Tue, 30. Apr 19, 21:30
I can tell you the one thing I'm not watching... is Game of Thrones.

I'm listening to it, but I'm buggered if I can see anything.
Posting the last episode of Game of Thrones in its entirety, right here, right now, d'loaded directly from Pirateblay on teh darkweb!

Spoiler
Show
WTF was up with that? I couldn't see @@^%! Every darn scene jump I was squinting, trying to find out who it was that just got whacked... "ZOMG was that The Hound? Oh, no, there he is. Wait! Is that Arya gettin' her face gnawed off? Oh, no, that's her... I think. Who the F is that and why do I care? WTF IS THAT? OH THANK GOODNESS FOR DRAGON FIRE! I CAN SE- Wait, where did the friggin light go? WHY THE F IS THE DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY STEVIE WONDER?"

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 1. May 19, 02:40

The Orville season finale. It was pretty good. I thought it was the best episode in the series.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 2. May 19, 15:35

Wrt to the joke on how dark E03 of GoT was, I read it had something to do with how much it was compressed for streaming/cable on the day. Since I only can watch it on Monday evening and I have 100MB line I didnt have as much of an issue. Yes it was dark at times, but I found it added to the ambiance and feel of what the characters were experiencing.
Spoiler
Show
Loved the Dothraki extinction scene, the look on the face of the people as they saw these feared and legendary warriors extinguish in a few minutes was gold, loved it.
MFG

Ketraar

Return to “Off Topic English”