Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Masterbagger
x4

Re: Trump

Post by Masterbagger » Sat, 13. Jul 19, 05:04

Chips wrote:
Fri, 12. Jul 19, 12:39
Worth noting some present more geographical results - and I don't necessarily mean by proximity to, but also grouped by popularity of terms used in a region.

There's a really long blog post about Google search, auto complete, and things that influence/determine what you see. It therefore also explains why some names + term will not return results, while others will.

So no "Donald Trump Grab" - despite searching on that term you get the very obvious and expected first result. "Grab em by the pussy". That's the US president alright - what a guy. Someone to look up to and admire - because sexual assault is always something to brag about and admire.

Conspiracy in its omission MasterB? Or are you going to accept that perhaps there is not a conspiracy for Clinton in this instance? Interested in seeing if your opinion changes when presented with clear and irrefutable evidence as above. After all, I remember this is one Mrs Clinton's detractors (I think yourself included) have repeated many times over the last few years. Are you finally going to alter your opinion and stop peddling that one? (lets be clear one thing, I'm not supporting either Clinton nor Trump, their policies or personalities. I'm merely pointing out that claims Google are political by censoring search results for one person/party they allegedly support are demonstrably false by presenting clear evidence that exists to prove Trump is treated the exact same. Personal feelings for Clinton/Trump are irrelevant to this point and it's highly unlikely Google's search results are anything to do with Trump or Clinton per se, more to do with "insert well known politician name" type searches).
https://imgur.com/a/1zNas9P

Nope. You guys have your Russia conspiracy theory. This one will be mine. Something is off. I know google to be more than a little liberal leaning. There are freely available accounts from former google employees like James Damore about that corporate culture and I see censorship going hand in hand with that brand of leftist extremism in the flavor of political correctness. Reddit has it's shadowbans and algorithm games. Twitter arbitrarily bans content. Youtube demonetizes channels and outright deletes content that never broke the rules but criticized sacred cows like abortion. I see google tipping in a direction toward being more overt about directing you to fake news media aligned with it's agenda and away from things that would lead you to something critical of it's pet causes.

Wait one year. When the 2020 election is happening everyone providing media is going to pick a side again. We saw it happen with the news in 2016 and we all know which side CNN, MSNBC, and Fox are aligned with now. It's going to become clearer with social media then. No one is going to make the mistake again of discounting the political discourse of the cheeto stained fingers of regular people punching keys on their phones. The companies I have mentioned are liberal from the top down and they do not want Trump to win again. If I'm totally wrong and there is no bias this is good for everyone. I kind of want to be wrong. I'm still in the position where I've witnessed that the farther left a person or organization goes the more intolerant to dissent they become. If I'm being hypervigilant and jumping at shadows then fine. I have a reason to do it.

Bishop149 wrote:
Mon, 8. Jul 19, 17:12

Cool. so we have two arguments along the same lines.
Because war is legal and punching political extremists in the street is not.
We could all probably come up with very reasonable sounding arguments about why the punching is illegal, but I'd imagine we might find it somewhat harder to apply those same moral and legal principles to make the case for war being legal, eh?

The core of the matter is that both are based upon the same thing: State control
The law serves two functions:
- To protect the State.
- To protect the citizenry.
In a perfect world these two things should not be distinct from each other but of course the world is not perfect and so they are, with the latter tending to come a long way second to the former.
In specific regard to violence, violence is aggressive and direct application of power for the assertion of control.
The State wants to ensure that that power remains ONLY within itself, that the only people "allowed" to commit violence are agents of itself, police, soldiers etc.
The academic term for this if anyone want further reading is "The Monopoly on Violence*"
This results in the following moral inconsistency:
Two people can do the exact same thing, to the exact same end, but the one with state authority is a "hero" and rewarded with a medal, the one without it is a "criminal" and rewarded with punishment.
This is an over-simplification, there are of course very valid reasons for the centralisation of authority, but you're a fool if you think it acts entirely (or even mostly) in the interest of the public.

This is why Antifa exists, they do not thinks the State, it's laws (in particular the 1st amendment), or those charged with enforcing them are sufficient to protect them from a clear and present threat to their lives and liberty.
So they are taking matters into their own hands, both inside and (very occasionally) outside the law. It's vigilantism pure and simple.

Whats my personal opinion on all this?
Well I tend to agree with the argument that the threat of violence or even small scale outbreak of limited violence is conducive to or even necessary for social progression and change.
I write this in Pride month, a movement that has result in some significant societal change . . . . . that started with a riot. :roll:
Here are two papers (by the same author) that outline the argument much better than I could:
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10 ... 6901300203
https://www.cambridge.org/core/services ... ge-div.pdf

How much violence is acceptable to this end? Where should the line be drawn?
Well, the academic answer is usually, when the counter movement becomes more deadly than that it is protesting.
To put it less equivocally, killing . . . . death on any substantial scale. Which is why, even if it was ONLY relevant to this argument which it clearly is not, the second amendment is a stupid idea.

*Somewhat paradoxically, this is something that people who like to bang on about the 2nd amendment also like to talk about, the populace being armed breaks the monopoly on violence reducing the likelihood of tyranny..
Extremist drivel. Who is threatening antifa members life and liberty? This is a crowd of young millennials throwing a tantrum. They are so radicalized that they can't see they embody the thing they claim to fight against. Brown shirts would suit them more than black masks. It is only by the grace of antifa member's skinny arms and physical weakness that no one has died. Walk yourself back from this ledge. If you want to run with this crowd then do your part to moderate their extremism before their actions mandate others do it for them. The tolerance for masked thugs beating people is not universal.
Who made that man a gunner?

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sat, 13. Jul 19, 10:08

so the topic once again runs up an alley..
almost as diversionary as the grifter Trump himself..

there's another conspiracy on the horizon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqZCFEThVcA

as for search engines - might as well go the whole paranoid journey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5iYJqxRJPY

-ever wondered what's behind Mike Pence's permanent thousand-yard stare..??
- wake up..!! :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sat, 13. Jul 19, 11:08

Masterbagger wrote:
Sat, 13. Jul 19, 05:04

Nope. You guys have your Russia conspiracy theory. This one will be mine. Something is off.
Heh - my google search gives me, once again, different results than yours.
https://imgur.com/a/G9niCgl

But you are entitled to your conspiracies, I frankly don't have a horse in race. People get the leaders they deserve and all that...

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 13. Jul 19, 12:03

Masterbagger wrote:
Sat, 13. Jul 19, 05:04

Nope. You guys have your Russia conspiracy theory. This one will be mine. Something is off. I know google to be more than a little liberal leaning. There are freely available accounts from former google employees like James Damore about that corporate culture and I see censorship going hand in hand with that brand of leftist extremism in the flavor of political correctness. Reddit has it's shadowbans and algorithm games. Twitter arbitrarily bans content. Youtube demonetizes channels and outright deletes content that never broke the rules but criticized sacred cows like abortion. I see google tipping in a direction toward being more overt about directing you to fake news media aligned with it's agenda and away from things that would lead you to something critical of it's pet causes.
The points I was making wasn't actually about the truth behind some conspiracies (though I note Wikipedia says the Republicans held 6 investigations into this scenario you refer to and found no wrong doing, so... I mean, at what point...) - it is whether Google was biased (part of me wonders what you believe behind the Benghazi thing though :D ). There are *reasons* for certain search terms not appearing in the auto complete (but note the searches do bring back the results you seek, or maybe not quite the ones you seek if you're looking for more extreme options - but that may simply be due to rankings - wikipedia and places like Youtube are some of the busier sites). The actual search terms are inconsequential to me. I am just trying to prove that maybe, just maybe, it's not "all about Hillary" - it is something applied to all equally. You seem to be ignoring that and just going "but, but ... HILLARY results are omitted".

So to counter, try "Donald Trump Ru" - there's no Russia conspiracy results *either*. Nor does "Donald Trump Golden Sho" bring back anything. Heck, can't even get Donald Trump James Comey to suggest anything. Nor Hillary Clinton Donald Trump, or Donald Trump Hillary Clinton.

So I'm going to assume you're of the stance "there's a conspiracy to block Clinton related search stuff" while maintaining that the lack of results for Trump and various allegations is simply (even ADMITTED allegations, so factual) is down to... ? Actually, what is your explanation for that? Clinton omitted results = conspiracy by Google, Trump omitted results = ...

I'm curious. To me providing so many examples of the person you support not having auto completes should be raising a question as to whether this is simply something applied equally - rather than "but, but... HILLARY results are omitted". Again. Are auto suggest filtered/shaped in some way to prevent certain terms? It does appear so, I'm in agreement. It's also published fact. Are they done this way to support Clinton? Evidence suggest not, since Trump is also not returning results. Likewise, same for many others... go for Jonny Depp Amber Hea... nothing. Harvey Weinstein sex... assault shows up. Go for Weinstein sex... nothing shows up. Mel Gibson Anti Sem... there's nothing. Examples that undermine your opinion on this matter are legion, so do you change your opinion or are you holding out? Will you believe Google aren't in cahoots with Clinton over this?

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Mon, 15. Jul 19, 10:35

Also, even if google was manipulating it's search results due to political bias one way or the other, how as a Trumpian can you have problem with that? Google is a private company, perhaps they've just decided to cater to one demographic or another, wouldn't it be very un-American to limit their freedom of expression because how they express themselves doesn't fit the political status quo? I'm sure there's alot of good people amongst those google employees.

Meanwhile Trump is telling democrats to first go fix the countries they came from before they start meddling in the business of real Americans

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 5078000643

Lol, what a dick, again, are you ok with that? I'm not ok with you.
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 15. Jul 19, 10:52

Grim Lock wrote:
Mon, 15. Jul 19, 10:35
Meanwhile Trump is telling democrats to first go fix the countries they came from before they start meddling in the business of real Americans

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 5078000643

Lol, what a dick, again, are you ok with that? I'm not ok with you.
For a presidency with far, far too much competition for the spot, I think that's the lowest, most shameful, statement he's made to date.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 15. Jul 19, 13:02

Even for Trump those tweets make very little sense. I'm pretty sure Congresspeople have to be American citizens just as much as the President does, whatever the colour of their skin, and that ought to be enough regardless of where they were born. Not to mention that three out of four of the people he's implicitly talking about here were born in the USA--heck, one of them was born less than 15 miles from where Trump himself was found under his rock!

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 15. Jul 19, 17:40

pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 15. Jul 19, 13:02
Even for Trump those tweets make very little sense. I'm pretty sure Congresspeople have to be American citizens just as much as the President does, whatever the colour of their skin, and that ought to be enough regardless of where they were born. Not to mention that three out of four of the people he's implicitly talking about here were born in the USA--heck, one of them was born less than 15 miles from where Trump himself was found under his rock!
The answer is simple - that's just flavor of racism.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 15. Jul 19, 20:01

What I find funny is that some people seem to be shocked and surprised by his comments. Remember this is Donald Trump we are talking about, everyone knows he is a racist, the ones who say he isn't racist are normally pretty well established racist themselves. You also have to take into account that Donald J Trump is a class a idiot, use your search engine to look up idiot and it's Donald J Trump who is the resulting answer. then you also have to take into account his father was a racist, banned Black people from his properties because of their skin colour, he was a member of the KKK and his son Donald is good friends with the KKK, there is no debating this these are well known facts. So we have that he is a certified 100% racist with a racist family background, good friends with all the top racists and is the ultimate description of an idiot, so why are people surprised and shocked by his comments.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 15. Jul 19, 20:03

I am not sure why anyone would be shocked indeed.

But it's definitely should be called out, loudly, and added to the list.

Still waiting on Republicans to say if they are cool with that or not.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 15. Jul 19, 20:15

The lack of response from the Republican's does raise the issue that part of the comment was about how bad some of the other worlds Governments are, whereas I look at the American Government as one of the worst and most corrupt Governments of most countries, it is probably the worst Government of any of the western democratic governments on the planet, there is little to no doubt about that.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 15. Jul 19, 20:24

Too things never fail to surprise me here. The first is that there doesn't actually seem to be a limit to how repugnant he is. The second is the lack of condemnation from the Republicans (and what this says about them, and the USA).

I guess I am just too naive and idealistic :( .
I can't breathe.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 15. Jul 19, 22:24

I've a feeling Trump has simply unshackled the repugnant racist core in many elements of US society, including within the governing party. As the figurehead of the Republican party, he's made it acceptable to judge people simply by the colour of their skin, the way they worship God, or the country of their parents/grandparents. But this toxic bubble isn't going to be eradication when his 'presidency' comes to an end. His legacy will be a new generation of toxic-minded people, who'll bring up their children to hate as they too hate. I fear he's fundamentally deconstructed any form of social cohesion that the US once held, and it's gonna take generations to undo this damage.

And he's emboldened politicians beyond US borders too...

I hope UK society is prepared to vote out any party prepared to harbour extreme ideologies in the next General Election, which might be difficult considering both main parties seem to be embracing racism in one form or another.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 15. Jul 19, 22:58

I'm not surprised by what Trump says, never have been. The only surprising thing is that he manages to:
1) Get away with it (impotent media and populace - surprising given the propensity for some to defend their right to hold guns against a Government to the death!?)
2) Seemingly it has zero impact upon popularity
3) It's forgotten (cumulatively what he has said should prove toxic to any politician, let alone a president).

Can't help but feel that the 2 "party" system is devastating to the US. Need to look up how close their contests are, but getting a feeling there's a significant amount of support for either party that would never, ever, ever vote for the other - no matter if it was a person, a racist person, or a castrated mange ridden dog voted into power. The red's under the bed, and the precise opposite of that, is evident amongst the general populace and not just the preserve of what others would consider the extremes.

The UK is radically different in that - multiple parties, so you don't feel like "betraying" your party by voting for the "opposition" (left/right) - and also the things people say can, and do, end their careers - though that may be tested far more strongly by Bojo in the near future (and may be a product of our multi party system). True, it may feel like a 2 party system as it's really only one or the other - but that's not true, and if you're disenfrachised with one, you can vote for a 3rd, 4th, 5th.. etc party without going for the direct opposite (which may be unpalatable for historical reasons rather than policy reasons).

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 15. Jul 19, 23:23

I'm watching the press conference this morning outside the White House (where he was meant to be talking about manufacturing policy) where Trump doubled down on his "go home" tweets.

He's actually batshit crazy.
I can't breathe.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 15. Jul 19, 23:35

RegisterMe wrote:
Mon, 15. Jul 19, 23:23
I'm watching the press conference this morning outside the White House (where he was meant to be talking about manufacturing policy) where Trump doubled down on his "go home" tweets.

He's actually batshit crazy.
Is he? Has doubling down failed for him so far? I can't remember a time when he's retracted something due to a response. I have a vague memory of him doubling down on anything and it all just eventually going away... amid cries of false news etc.

From my own memory without looking, if it's dodgy, double down and he "wins".

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 16. Jul 19, 00:44

There's some response from Republicans
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/15/politics ... 1563230596

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Tue, 16. Jul 19, 09:31

That's barely a response, but not unexpected indeed, yet at the same time no Trumpian is going, hey he's completely right in his tweets, no as usual they just stay quiet in these cases, knowing exactly how vile and racist he is and beeing totally OK with it, hell it's what they elected him for.
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 16. Jul 19, 17:21

Life plus 419 years. That's what that far right idiot, James Alex Field Junior, who killed the counter-protester in Charlottesville by driving his car into a crowd, received as a sentence yesterday.
I can't breathe.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 16. Jul 19, 21:54

RegisterMe wrote:
Tue, 16. Jul 19, 17:21
Life plus 419 years. That's what that far right idiot, James Alex Field Junior, who killed the counter-protester in Charlottesville by driving his car into a crowd, received as a sentence yesterday.
That sentence was given to him in the middle of last December, along with a fine of $500k. Though how he is supposed to pay the fine is beyond me. Of course he may be rich to start with, or maybe prison jobs have some pretty awesome pay rates.

And by the way, Trump has categorically denied he is racist, saying he doesn't have a racist bone in his body and it must be true as we know he has never told a single lie in his entire life, let alone since he became president.

Return to “Off Topic English”