Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

matthewfarmery
x3

Re: Trump

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 14. Sep 20, 10:36

mrbadger wrote:
Mon, 14. Sep 20, 09:00
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Mon, 14. Sep 20, 01:40

I'll grant you, those are all problems that need a solution and soon. However, all of that isn't going to matter a bit if the US falls to fascism and Trump is allowed to crown himself emperor.
That you can even say this is an indication of how far things have gone wrong. No matter how bad he might be, I still don't think Trump is the problem. After all, he got elected, people went out and selected him to be president.

It's not like his corruption was something people weren't aware of, but US elections are a gameshow now, and the contestant who puts on the best performance wins.

The same can be said of UK politics. Not so long back Labour and the Conservatives were virtually identical, just like the Republicans and Democrats used to be the same party, and still are both far right of our Conservatives. (let's not even start on when Labour pretty much let the unions run the country, and yes I am a labour supporter, but I've no clue what they're up to now)

Back to the orange moron though, he might be scared of leaving office, because he'll lose the protection from prosecution it gives him and his family. As soon as he's out, whether soon or in four years the hounds will start circling.
Technically the Electoral College made him president, he did lose the popular vote. So you could argue if it wasn't for that, he wouldn't have got in.

But Trump is ultimately part of the problem, he adding fuel to the ever increasing fire. basically making things far worse. Until he goes, the problem isn't going to get better. but at the same time, if there is a major problem within the US, then something needs to be done about it. But it will take a different person other then Trump to do it.
=

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 14. Sep 20, 14:40

mrbadger wrote:
Mon, 14. Sep 20, 09:00
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Mon, 14. Sep 20, 01:40

I'll grant you, those are all problems that need a solution and soon. However, all of that isn't going to matter a bit if the US falls to fascism and Trump is allowed to crown himself emperor.
That you can even say this is an indication of how far things have gone wrong. No matter how bad he might be, I still don't think Trump is the problem. After all, he got elected, people went out and selected him to be president.

It's not like his corruption was something people weren't aware of, but US elections are a gameshow now, and the contestant who puts on the best performance wins.

The same can be said of UK politics. Not so long back Labour and the Conservatives were virtually identical, just like the Republicans and Democrats used to be the same party, and still are both far right of our Conservatives. (let's not even start on when Labour pretty much let the unions run the country, and yes I am a labour supporter, but I've no clue what they're up to now)

Back to the orange moron though, he might be scared of leaving office, because he'll lose the protection from prosecution it gives him and his family. As soon as he's out, whether soon or in four years the hounds will start circling.
You misunderstand. It's not about him being duly elected. He can serve out his constitutionally prescribed term in office. But the sheer fact that he's turned American troops onto American citizens, the number of times he's blatantly defied constitutional mandates, once again, saying hes "entitled to a 3rd term" despite the constitution clearly saying no more than 2, and his attacks on voting, it's like he thinks acts like the constitution was optional reading.

He truly believes he can "do whatever he wants" as president, and that just is not so. However, Bill Barr is unwilling to hold Trump or anyone in his corner accountable, and the senate republicans are afraid of getting tweeted at so he is being allowed to do whatever he wants. Now, especially with his attacks on voting and the high likelihood that he's going to defy the will of the people to remain in office, and with his pattern of disregard for the constitution, come Jan 20, we may be in a position where we have to drag his orange ass out of the white house. If that means we have to go to war to do it, then by god that's what we'll do. His term ends on Jan 20 at noon EST, one way or another.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 14. Sep 20, 15:49

Here in the UK people complain about how who wins elections gets decided when an unpopular thing happens.
You need only look at the referendum. Would they have complained as loudly if the remain side had won I wonder? That was a simple majority, which is bizarrely what most want for our general elections. But they *hated* it when it worked as expected in the referendum.

You can't blame an election method if you accept it when the results are to your liking. Either you want it to be changed or you don't.

In the UK there've been debates about changing how elections work for decades, and thus far zero progress has been made. However our country, while far from perfect isn't on the brink of potential social collapse.

Disability rights are under attack, the elderly are being stripped of their property and savings to pay for care they've already paid for via national insurance. Yeah, things are far from perfect, but we're not falling apart, yet.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 14. Sep 20, 16:01

mrbadger wrote:
Mon, 14. Sep 20, 15:49
Here in the UK people complain about how who wins elections gets decided when an unpopular thing happens.
You need only look at the referendum. Would they have complained as loudly if the remain side had won I wonder? That was a simple majority, which is bizarrely what most want for our general elections. But they *hated* it when it worked as expected in the referendum.

You can't blame an election method if you accept it when the results are to your liking. Either you want it to be changed or you don't.

In the UK there've been debates about changing how elections work for decades, and thus far zero progress has been made. However our country, while far from perfect isn't on the brink of potential social collapse.

Disability rights are under attack, the elderly are being stripped of their property and savings to pay for care they've already paid for via national insurance. Yeah, things are far from perfect, but we're not falling apart, yet.
Yeah, the electoral system here is really only popular among conservatives. It really is the only way they can win a presidential election. That should tell you something about the popularity of conservatism in this country. I think the problems go beyond that and the 2 party system that we have creates too big of a dividing line for political issues. Current state of affairs aside, just creating 2 sides will always lead to an us vs them mentality and leave little room for compromise. And then when you get an egomaniacal despot like Trump thrown into the mix, you get more than half the country left out in the cold.
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 14. Sep 20, 09:05
I mean: can he do it? Is FBI or whatever he's asking to arrest journalists realistically going to follow his orders? Are federal agents so "dirty" to do things like those?
Doubtful, but possible. Trump and Barr may not be willing to obey laws but FBI would be hard pressed to arrest people without cause not to mention that arresting journalists just cause Trump said so would be a major violation of the 1st amendment.

This is the thing that Trump is failing to comprehend, though. If he upends the constitution, that means we are a lawless nation. No one will be bound to obey any laws as they are all derived from powers granted by the constitution. Which means his orange ass will be in some serious physical danger if even a percentage of the population rises up to overthrow him.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Wed, 16. Sep 20, 13:34

One of Mr Trump's latest campaign ads proclaims "Support our troops" while showing Mig 29s flying and Ak74s being carried.

The media think it's just a gaff. I think it's what's called a Freudian slip. When Mr Trump says "our troops" he means Russian troops
not American ones. We know he doesn't give a damn about the lives of Americans

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 16. Sep 20, 13:43

There's a bunch of stories bubbling up about whistleblower complaint(s?) detailing unnecessary medical procedures performed on women, without their consent, in ICE / DHS detention facilities. Procedures that included hysterectomies.

I hope to god the stories aren't true / the complaint is without foundation, because if there's any truth to it at all it's very, very ugly indeed :(.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Y-llian
x4

Post by Y-llian » Wed, 16. Sep 20, 14:23

RegisterMe wrote:
Wed, 16. Sep 20, 13:43
There's a bunch of stories bubbling up about whistleblower complaint(s?) detailing unnecessary medical procedures performed on women, without their consent, in ICE / DHS detention facilities. Procedures that included hysterectomies.

I hope to god the stories aren't true / the complaint is without foundation, because if there's any truth to it at all it's very, very ugly indeed :(.
This is already happening - to Uyghur women in detention. And yet, confronted with this ugliness the world stays largely silent or offers mere slip service condemning it...

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 16. Sep 20, 14:57

RegisterMe wrote:

Somehow, I would not be surprised. Trump is trying his damnedest to emulate Hitler. Might as well add illegal medical procedures to his resume.
rebellionpac.com

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 16. Sep 20, 15:35

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Wed, 16. Sep 20, 14:57
RegisterMe wrote:

Somehow, I would not be surprised. Trump is trying his damnedest to emulate Hitler. Might as well add illegal medical procedures to his resume.

Fixed it for you.

Somehow, I would not be surprised. Trump is trying his damnedest to emulate Hitler. Might as well add illegal medical procedures to his regime.

But yeah, wouldn't surprise me either.

Any way I fear another 4 years of this mad man.
=

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 16. Sep 20, 18:34

In other news, the great negotiator failed. Despite claiming how easy it is to win trade wars, tariffs on Canadian aluminum were dropped by the US after Canada threatened a counter tariff. Womp womp.

In the same vein, WTO found that the US trade war with China has been illegal and that the US exceeded it's agreed upon limits. Course, Trump won't give a damn and thanks to Trump, the WTO does not have the necessary judges to really do anything about it.
rebellionpac.com

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 17. Sep 20, 14:46

Yet another woman, Amy Dorris is accusing Trump of sexual harassment, also provided some proof that she was at the US Open tennis tournament, two decades ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... amy-dorris

Not really surprising, but Trump is currently untouchable, so if anything was to happen, she will have to wait in a very long queue.
=

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 17. Sep 20, 18:52

Semi shocking poll out of South Carolina from Quinnipac has democrat challenger Harrison maintaining a tie with Graham for his senate seat since early August. Would be awesome if that Trump boot licker was sent packing. At the very least, this will cause republicans to scramble to blow more campaign money in SC when they're already facing shortfalls. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch.
rebellionpac.com

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 18. Sep 20, 18:27

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/f ... r-BB199Grd

This is great! DeJoy has been ordered not only to stop the changes he's made to the post office, he was also ordered to reverse the changes he's implemented since he took the post master general.

14 states filed the lawsuit against the post office. In the judge's ruling, he found that "Substantial evidence has been presented that these transformative changes have been done by the Postal Service which has made mail delivery slower and less efficient," and the states demonstrated a "politically motivated attack on the efficiency of the Postal Service, and that it would likely irreparably harm the ability to administer the 2020 election."

I haven't seen any mention of an appeal, but I would be surprised if one is not on the horizon from Trump. Regardless, we're a month and a half away from the election and this is awesome news.
rebellionpac.com

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 02:05

RIP Ruth Bader Ginsburg :(.

I'd like to be proved wrong that Trump / Barr won't use this as an opportunity to **** everything up but I am doubtful :(.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 07:35

Figures. And ol' moscow mitch said he's gonna vote on her replacement ASAP less than an hour after her passing. It's not like we didn't know he wasn't full of shit when he said he wouldn't allow a vote on a SCOTUS nominee in an election year.

We've lost a true patriot today.

So here's the catch 22 for conservatives on this. I'm counting at least 5 republican seats that are getting whupped up on by their democrat challengers and several really close races, including Grahams. Things don't look so good for republicans to hold their majority in the senate. If they ram a confirmation through then you can be pretty well guaranteed there will magically be at least 3 new SCOTUS seats by march and 3 new left leaning judges to fill those seats by june. If they wanna be short sighted, they're going to pay big time for it.
rebellionpac.com

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 16:30

Seems Trump is gearing up to nominate a new supreme court judge soon. But if that happens, there going to be sever backlash. Obama tried this and got blocked by the GOP. So because the senate is GOP controlled, they can do they they please and probably allow this to happen.

So expect things to get messy and ugly, as time goes on. as each side will continue to push the boundaries.

In other news, Trump is also forcing more tensions on Iran, so they (Iran) could very well say, they haven't got anything to lose, and ramp up nuclear weapon production. So Trump while might have made some progress with making peace in one region, only to make things worse and closer to war on another region. What a fool he is.
=

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 20:26

matthewfarmery wrote:
Sat, 19. Sep 20, 16:30
Seems Trump is gearing up to nominate a new supreme court judge soon. But if that happens, there going to be sever backlash. Obama tried this and got blocked by the GOP. So because the senate is GOP controlled, they can do they they please and probably allow this to happen.

So expect things to get messy and ugly, as time goes on. as each side will continue to push the boundaries.
There may be enough republican senators to block a confirmation. Something tells me Mitt Romney won't let Moscow Mitch get away with his blatant lie and a couple others said not even a month ago they wouldn't consider a vote until next year. I guess we'll see but they've already proven they're more than comfortable with standing up on the senate floor and lie to everyone.
matthewfarmery wrote:
In other news, Trump is also forcing more tensions on Iran, so they (Iran) could very well say, they haven't got anything to lose, and ramp up nuclear weapon production. So Trump while might have made some progress with making peace in one region, only to make things worse and closer to war on another region. What a fool he is.
Did you also see that Trump is sending troops back into Syria? After the "no more endless wars" surprise withdrawal and leaving our allies there sucking wind, I guess things didn't go well. Who woulda thunk it? :roll:
rebellionpac.com

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 20:45

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sat, 19. Sep 20, 20:26
matthewfarmery wrote:

There may be enough republican senators to block a confirmation. Something tells me Mitt Romney won't let Moscow Mitch get away with his blatant lie and a couple others said not even a month ago they wouldn't consider a vote until next year. I guess we'll see but they've already proven they're more than comfortable with standing up on the senate floor and lie to everyone.
matthewfarmery wrote:
Did you also see that Trump is sending troops back into Syria? After the "no more endless wars" surprise withdrawal and leaving our allies there sucking wind, I guess things didn't go well. Who woulda thunk it? :roll:
I had to look that up, looks like another Trump mess. So Trump betrayed the Kurds, and now Trump is sending troops to protect the oil fields. Also there is Turkey to consider. they won't be too happy with all of this. Could this heighten tensions for a war? or prolonged war? So yeah, more trouble there. Trump has no idea what he playing at, that is for sure.
=

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 21:05

matthewfarmery wrote:
Sat, 19. Sep 20, 20:45
I had to look that up, looks like another Trump mess. So Trump betrayed the Kurds, and now Trump is sending troops to protect the oil fields. Also there is Turkey to consider. they won't be too happy with all of this. Could this heighten tensions for a war? or prolonged war? So yeah, more trouble there. Trump has no idea what he playing at, that is for sure.
Not only that, but Russian troops are picking fights with what little US forces remained there. Not shooting at them (AFAIK) but doing shit like ramming their vehicles.
rebellionpac.com

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 22:01

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sat, 19. Sep 20, 21:05
matthewfarmery wrote:
Sat, 19. Sep 20, 20:45
Not only that, but Russian troops are picking fights with what little US forces remained there. Not shooting at them (AFAIK) but doing shit like ramming their vehicles.
Forgot about Russia, so I doubt the US troops will be too happy there, when things start to getting more tense. Trump's foreign policy has been totally crap. Also read somewhere that many Americans aren't even rating foreign matters to to of critical value, the virus, and jobs are much higher up the list.

Oh yes, as for the GOP losing senators, I hope they do. Will serve them right for supporting a total nutcase. So here hoping things turn around.
=

Return to “Off Topic English”