Coronavirus: COVID-19

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

red assassin
x3

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by red assassin » Sun, 10. Jan 21, 20:25

To repeat CBJ's question, is this specifically advice you have received from your doctor or are you just assuming? NHS documentation here notes that, while some immunocompromised patients may have a suboptimal response to the vaccine and thus not be fully protected, they are a priority to receive the vaccine and there are no groups which are excluded from receiving it. As a general rule, for non-live vaccines (none of the Covid vaccines are live), the standard clinical guidance is that there's no additional risk in receiving the vaccine, and some level of protection is better than none at all.

As a side note, a recent cohort study of Covid outcomes found that hospitalised patients on immunosuppressants don't have worse outcomes than the general population. (This doesn't exclude the immunocompromised being more likely to be hospitalised, of course, but it does suggest that immunosuppressants don't automatically prevent someone from recovering from Covid.)
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 13. Jan 21, 20:38

1,500+ people died of Covid-19 in the UK today. There'll be many who simply didn't need to, and doubtless some of those who died did so because their loved ones didn't follow the rules. What really hit me hardest today was watching the news, and seeing doctors and nurses in an ICU doing their utmost to save lives. They'd been doing that every day for the better part of a year. - Just as some of their patients never recover, I don't imagine many of those on the front line will ever fully recover from what they've experienced. That kinda trauma of seeing people suffocate in front you is beyond imagining.

I've a neighbour who simply justifies doing as he pleases with the phrase 'don't trust the government.' God help me, telling you how I want to respond would likely see me thrown off this forum, so I'll leave it to your imagination.

On a more positive note, the doctor's surgery has been in touch, and will soon be arranging a home visit to do mum's Covid-19 vaccination. - With any luck, it'll be done 3+ weeks before she goes in for a mastectomy.
“What in Father’s name have you done? They’re not-”

“Everyone's fine, I’ve just paused them,” Lucifer said. “It’s a little trick I learned in my prison. Have you ever tried counselling a mass murderer when ten thousand other inmates are screaming and wailing?”

Ten thousand inmates, and only one guard… Michael had always felt profound sympathy for Lucifer. Yes, she’d transgressed, but her punishment was likely to stretch to eternity, even if Raphael thought otherwise.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sun, 17. Jan 21, 13:41

School friend of my daughter is a doctor working in a hospital. She tested positive, was vaccined and recovered. Now, without any symptoms, tested positive again. Conclusion: Even if you are immune to the effects of Covid you are still a carrier and spread the disease.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Chips
x3tc

Post by Chips » Sun, 17. Jan 21, 15:53

Gavrushka wrote:
Wed, 13. Jan 21, 20:38
1,500+ people died of Covid-19 in the UK today. There'll be many who simply didn't need to, and doubtless some of those who died did so because their loved ones didn't follow the rules. What really hit me hardest today was watching the news, and seeing doctors and nurses in an ICU doing their utmost to save lives. They'd been doing that every day for the better part of a year. - Just as some of their patients never recover, I don't imagine many of those on the front line will ever fully recover from what they've experienced. That kinda trauma of seeing people suffocate in front you is beyond imagining.

I've a neighbour who simply justifies doing as he pleases with the phrase 'don't trust the government.' God help me, telling you how I want to respond would likely see me thrown off this forum, so I'll leave it to your imagination.

On a more positive note, the doctor's surgery has been in touch, and will soon be arranging a home visit to do mum's Covid-19 vaccination. - With any luck, it'll be done 3+ weeks before she goes in for a mastectomy.
ICU's usually are full of people doing their utmost to fight to save lives - prior to covid as well as during and after! They do it every single day of every single year... permanently. Just at present the ICU's are crammed to the rafters when usually they have spare capacity - and with sickness also in the workforce, the pressures must be incredible and sustained (whereas usually it's seasonal pressure - winter being way worse than summer).

There was a post doing the rounds a month ago. Something like "Your grandparents were called to fight in world wars, enduring food rations, isolation in shelters and trenches under bombs and fire. You're being called to wash your hands and sit on the couch. Don't F#%£ it up!". The inability for people to comply is just... baffling.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 17. Jan 21, 17:31

Chips wrote:
Sun, 17. Jan 21, 15:53

There was a post doing the rounds a month ago. Something like "Your grandparents were called to fight in world wars, enduring food rations, isolation in shelters and trenches under bombs and fire. You're being called to wash your hands and sit on the couch. Don't F#%£ it up!". The inability for people to comply is just... baffling.
Yeah, the irony of it. - Our parents and grandparents fought and died for the freedom of the generations to follow, and now those generations are exercising that freedom to kill those who remain...

“Everyone's fine, I’ve just paused them,” Lucifer said. “It’s a little trick I learned in my prison. Have you ever tried counselling a mass murderer when ten thousand other inmates are screaming and wailing?”

Ten thousand inmates, and only one guard… Michael had always felt profound sympathy for Lucifer. Yes, she’d transgressed, but her punishment was likely to stretch to eternity, even if Raphael thought otherwise.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 20. Jan 21, 09:50

UK's 'single dose' strategy could well be putting the over 60s at serious risk, according to a recent report.

Single dose strategy may result in very poor efficacy.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 20. Jan 21, 12:20

... whereas not having the UK's dosing strategy would put many of the over 60s a long way back in getting even their first dose while waiting on vaccine supplies as the over 80s and 70s and health/care workers get both of their doses.

More at-risk people having their first dose sooner is the intent. It's all a balance of risks and benefits based on science and medical advice that the UK evaluated carefully and made a decision intended to reduce both the death rate and the overwhelming pressure on the NHS as quickly as possible. Prevalence of the new more virulent Covid strain in the UK only reinforces their decision.

It's always the case that pundits and 'experts' that don't have to take any responsibility for the outcome of their 'concerns' based on unpublished research will try to second-guess the government's advisors' recommendations.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 20. Jan 21, 13:05

I don't agree with the tone of the report, but Sir Patrick Vallance is looking into efficacy as a result of the additional information from Israel. - I agree with getting as many first doses out as possible, and the thing that isn't mentioned anywhere near frequently enough is the '33% effectiveness after 10 days' doesn't take into account that anyone catching it at that point is far less likely to have severe symptoms.

Mum still waiting for doctors to get in touch regarding vaccine. It is a little frustrating, but I appreciate the scale of the task.

Return to “Off Topic English”