Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BaronVerde
x4

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by BaronVerde » Tue, 30. Mar 21, 16:39

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 30. Mar 21, 16:11
... I just have a vague recollection of an article I read that some evidence uncovered suggested humans were around a lot longer than previously estimated. ...
It might be that you mean Homo sapiens, or anatomically modern humans (AMH), whose dates have recently (oh, it's already 4 years back :roll: ) been pushed back by 100,000 years to ~300,000 years BP. The site is Jebel Irhoud.
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature22335

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 30. Mar 21, 16:46

Millions of years are a lot of time to push them back, though.

For science, we should build a t-rex and see if it hunts humans. If it does, it means he sees them as preys, so humans were alive during those times.
Am I right? Yes? Ok, let's start building dinos!

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Tue, 30. Mar 21, 16:52

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Tue, 30. Mar 21, 16:46
... Ok, let's start building dinos!
And spare no expense !
:D

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 30. Mar 21, 17:56

BaronVerde wrote:
Tue, 30. Mar 21, 16:39
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 30. Mar 21, 16:11
... I just have a vague recollection of an article I read that some evidence uncovered suggested humans were around a lot longer than previously estimated. ...
It might be that you mean Homo sapiens, or anatomically modern humans (AMH), whose dates have recently (oh, it's already 4 years back :roll: ) been pushed back by 100,000 years to ~300,000 years BP. The site is Jebel Irhoud.
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature22335
It very well could be. That's not something I actively follow. Just something that caught my eye once upon a time.

BTW, I did find a more plausible explanation. A supposed ice bridge that existed some 20k years ago connecting the Americas to Asia and provided a migration path for animals and nomadic hunters that could have followed.

The bridge is theorized to have existed until the end of the last ice age.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Tue, 30. Mar 21, 18:47

Excellent point, @vertigo7, and it has for a cenrtury been the main hypothesis for how humans got to the Americas via Siberia.

Today - and with genetics at hand - that is all an ongoing discussion, with the 'classical' view setting the so-called Clovis culture as evidence for early human presence in the Americas, but they were already far south. All in all, the dates of find sites (some of the older ones vigorously disputed) and their geographical distribution doesn't quite fit the sea level fluctuations and climatic sequence at the end of the last glaciation and the early holocene.
https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/8/eaat5473
And genetics as additional evidence paints a much more varied image. It probably wasn't only via the north, but also over the sea that humans reached America.

Recently (a year or 2 ago) I read a paper proposing that hunter gatherer groups didn't just use a continous land bridge, but hopped the islands. It was based on a find site on an Alaskan island, stone tool ensembles dating to 17,000 BP.

Apart from that, another find site called Chiquihuite Cave was claimed to document a human presence even 26.000 years ago, but that is heavily disputed (experts only :-)) and the evidence too weak for certainty. Extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence and all that :gruebel:

I am not an expert in American prehistory, only following the news from time to time, but I'd generally colour me a hobby pre-historian 8) .

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 31. Mar 21, 08:51

It's all fun and games until you start thinking about how the hell they went to Australia.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Wed, 31. Mar 21, 11:55

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Wed, 31. Mar 21, 08:51
It's all fun and games until you start thinking about how the hell they went to Australia.
Longest wet leg is just ~100km during times of low sea page, if I remember correctly (not the times of low sea level but since I last read a paper 8) ) ...

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 31. Mar 21, 12:12

BaronVerde wrote:
Wed, 31. Mar 21, 11:55
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Wed, 31. Mar 21, 08:51
Longest wet leg is just ~100km during times of low sea page, if I remember correctly (not the times of low sea level but since I last read a paper 8) ) ...
I'm not familiar with the concept of wet leg, is it the distance between islands? In that case, 100000 years ago those would have been 100km in a random direction (I don't think they could see in any way the closest island) with a very primitive raft (if they were lucky) in the Pacific Ocean.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 31. Mar 21, 12:22

in clear conditions, maximum visibility to the horizon is 20km at sea level. But it's possible ocean currents could have carried a raft or something.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Wed, 31. Mar 21, 12:37

@BrasatoAlBarolo: Sorry, wet leg I meant a section, segment over water.

One can check bathymetric maps, e.g. the chart viewer on navionics.com.
And yes, there are indicators for a land in a distance even if it is below the horizon, like a line of clouds or birds coming from/going out. That wouldn't be a problem for prehistoric people to cover that distance on purpose and with the plan to have a look what's there.

I'll hold myself back now, have hijacked this thread long enough :-)

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 11:32

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/31/euro ... index.html

Italian Navy official caught selling "something" (obviously secret at the public) to a Russian man working for the Russian embassy in Rome.
It's pretty serious, apparently, because relations between Russia and the EU have recently became quite tense, following their military actions in Ukraine, the poisoning of Putin's rival Navalny and the involvement of Russian representatives in funding populist parties around Europe (Lega in Italy, Front National in France, Catalan Indipendentist Party in Spain, ...).
Some embassy workers have been expelled and, as a reaction, it is expected that Italian diplomats are going to be expelled from Moscow.

Now that US have a human president, EU and US should, in some ways, make common decisions against Russia, in my opinion.
Meanwhile, China watches, waiting to get advantages from this kind of geopolitical turmoil, while putting in labor camps every un-chinese people they can find.

What a time to be alive!

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sat, 3. Apr 21, 00:13

There was yet another attack against the US capitol, this one killed at least 1 police officer and injuired another. The attacker is dead. He was allegedly a devoted member of the Nation of Islam so a religious motive is possible. If the name sounds familiar it is the group Malcom X was part of.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 3. Apr 21, 17:20

clakclak wrote:
Sat, 3. Apr 21, 00:13
There was yet another attack against the US capitol, this one killed at least 1 police officer and injuired another. The attacker is dead. He was allegedly a devoted member of the Nation of Islam so a religious motive is possible. If the name sounds familiar it is the group Malcom X was part of.
I saw that yesterday. Doesn't really add up to me. Thousands of Trumpanzies didn't accomplish anything other than showing the world how truly depraved they are, and this guy thought he was going to do something by himself despite the heightened security around the capital? I recall seeing something in one of the articles where he had made some social media posts saying something along the lines that he could see clearly since he stopped taking some medications. Probably some sort of mental disorder is at play here.
rebellionpac.com

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Sat, 3. Apr 21, 17:25

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sat, 3. Apr 21, 17:20
clakclak wrote:
I saw that yesterday. Doesn't really add up to me. Thousands of Trumpanzies didn't accomplish anything other than showing the world how truly depraved they are, and this guy thought he was going to do something by himself despite the heightened security around the capital? I recall seeing something in one of the articles where he had made some social media posts saying something along the lines that he could see clearly since he stopped taking some medications. Probably some sort of mental disorder is at play here.
I think it was more of a suicide by police deal, he sounded like he had a mental illness and never really got full treatment for it. He probably couldn’t handle the world and decided that if he was going to go out he would try to take the system or members of the system he despised out with him.

He seemed to think that Biden was the anti-Christ, so he was probably trying to attack his government in the name of god as well.
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 3. Apr 21, 17:32

Teladi CEO wrote:
Sat, 3. Apr 21, 17:25
Vertigo 7 wrote:
clakclak wrote:
I think it was more of a suicide by police deal, he sounded like he had a mental illness and never really got full treatment for it. He probably couldn’t handle the world and decided that if he was going to go out he would try to take the system or members of the system he despised out with him.

He seemed to think that Biden was the anti-Christ, so he was probably trying to attack his government in the name of god as well.
lol well, even that doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, it's pretty common knowledge that the president lives and works in the White House, not the capitol building. So if the "goal" is to take out Biden, he was pretty well off target. But then again, it's not like suicidal people are generally the rational type.
rebellionpac.com

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Sat, 3. Apr 21, 19:01

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sat, 3. Apr 21, 17:32
Teladi CEO wrote:
Sat, 3. Apr 21, 17:25
Vertigo 7 wrote:

lol well, even that doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, it's pretty common knowledge that the president lives and works in the White House, not the capitol building. So if the "goal" is to take out Biden, he was pretty well off target. But then again, it's not like suicidal people are generally the rational type.
Oh no, I was trying to say he was attacking Biden himself. I was saying that he was trying to attack Biden’s government, ie anyone and everyone that works or aligns with him which includes Democrats, the police and national guard defending DC and any government workers.
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 23:19

Chauvin has been found guilty on all 3 counts for the murder of George Floyd.

I sincerely hope this verdict heralds change for police accountability.
rebellionpac.com

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 02:33

What I heard from the evidence I'm not surprised he was found guilty. It was excessive force that he used and his excuse of it was because of Floyd's drug use, just didn't compute with me. One question that I never heard the defence witnesses being asked, was whether Floyd would still be alive today if Chauvin hadn't spent nine minutes with his knee on Floyd's neck.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 02:47

I think the prosecution pretty well established that it was Chauvin's knee on the neck of Floyd that killed him, so he would have more than likely lived otherwise.

Regardless, over the last few weeks alone there have been other executions by police, including one 13 year old boy they said aimed a weapon at cops but the body cam footage magically had something completely different recorded :gruebel: as well as yet another black man executed for having an air freshener hanging off of his rear view mirror. Not much "protecting and serving" going on among cops these days. This has got to stop.
rebellionpac.com

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 04:10

That shooting of the 13 year old is a hard one to call, as the kid and another guy had been shooting a gun at passing cars which is why the cops went after them in the first place, and he had just tosed a gun away just before he was shot, so he wasn't 100% innocent. But still, the American cops do seem to have a shoot before asking question policy. Also read the other day that the US are having problems recruiting new officers, as no one wants to be one under the current circumstances, which I don't blame them. America is really in need of a massive change in basically everything, it's a messed up country to say the least.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Return to “Off Topic English”