The Browncoat thread for all things Firefly/Serenity

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 7. Sep 08, 16:58

Always being late to a party, just watched the whole of the cancelled show Firefly, really enjoyed it as well, shame there weren't more!

I assume it was poor ratings that led to the cancelling, will have to try and rent/catch Serenity (assume it'll be on TV at some point)

ewokshaman1
x3

Post by ewokshaman1 » Sun, 7. Sep 08, 18:28

So what if Josh Whedon made a rather strange alien movie, that if you take the characters from it and his landmark TV show, put them in a room next to each other, and put bags over their heads, they would be the same people? So what if he's got a strange fascination with the Cigarette man from the x-files and his unrealistically powerful "Secret" organization, an idea he propagates in both Alien 4 and Firefly. So what if all the bad guy leaders look like the bad guy from half life. I mean really who cares. People can argue the same standard pieces falling into place with almost 7/8 of video games these days, the few stars shining out just due to the stylish way they present the game, and that was Firefly to the Letter. It was a big hoaky at times, but it was so stylish, so awesome, and so far from every other thing at the time (All of which was summed up with the words: 'So we've got a_____ who lives in an apartment in________ city, is friends with ___ gay guys _____ women, and his love interest acts uninterested... Lets let hilarity insue!') that it disserves recognition.

As for the canceling, yes it was poor ratings. Ontop of a crummy timeslot. You have to wonder what would have happened if it had continued and no been canceled though, it would have come into direct competition against BSG

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 8. Sep 08, 21:47

yep

"Hero of Canton" by Adam Baldwin

possibly Adam Baldwin as well
Hero of Canton
(sounds like the audio from the first song plus music)
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

pepperg
x3tc

Post by pepperg » Tue, 9. Sep 08, 06:34

i'll admit it---i'm one of those sadsacks who checks whedonesque, fireflyfans, imdb, and the universal boards every month or so hoping for some glimmer of hope about the big damn sequel to serenity. what can i say- i'm obsessive about my interests (flight and space sims, open ended style fps, great scifi, and guitar). really wish that some studio would have the faith/sense to invest $25-35mill for a lower key serenity sequel, direct to dvd or scifi channel or whatever. it would eventually turn a profit.
SeagateBarracuda320GB 7200 SATA
LIANLI PC-7B plus II MidTower
EVGA GeForce8800GTX 768MB
Intel Core2Duo E6600Conroe 2.4GHz
CORSAIR 2GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
WDRaptor 150GB 10,000 RPM
EVGAnforce SLI 680imobo

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Wed, 8. Oct 08, 13:16

A little update on some of the cast:

Summer Glau:

The Sarah Connor Chronicles are in trouble, the ratings are falling and there are some very bad rumors coming from the FOX execs, some say that the monday night slot is a death trap.

Nathan Fillion's Castle series, he is both a write/producer and one of its main actors. just got a Youtube trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voLQY3KyWRk

Speaking of Nathan Fillion:

This here vid is very funny (warning minor sexual reference).

Golden_Gonads was right...

Adam Baldwin:

Chuck is doing pretty good with high ratings, it seems that it will survive this season.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Wed, 8. Oct 08, 13:42

TSCC is moderately entertaining, once you get past the incredible suspension of belief in the story and what the characters do and get away with every week without question or suspicion.

There's a crapload of plot holes and "WTF"s with it. Mainly in regard to "how can they do that/get away with that?"

The last episode being the most prime example.

I have a feeling it was doomed to the chopping block since last season. Shame, Summer Glau is too hot to not be on TV...

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Wed, 8. Oct 08, 14:23

fud wrote: I have a feeling it was doomed to the chopping block since last season. Shame, Summer Glau is too hot to not be on TV...
Even though pretty much everything Summer has been in has tanked, I think her acting talent can be recognised in everything she does, so I expect her to have a long and (semi) successful career.

That said, I haven't watched the SCC, I really don't like TV show spin-offs of great movies.

Y'know, everytime I see this thread pop to the top of the forum, I'm thinking "please tell me it's an announcement that they are making more Firefly", never is though. :(
Nirwin
------
Sector Takeover | Unlimited Resources (x2/x3)

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Wed, 8. Oct 08, 14:34

Thats the main reason i hate going looking for updates...

If it ain't those news, it ain't good news at all, but we are still fighting...

Wolfgar
x4

Post by Wolfgar » Mon, 26. Jan 09, 18:46

Pardon me for being late.

In my honest opinion Fox and the Sci-Fi Channel couldn't hang on to good shows if they were wearing gloves coated with sand and broken glass. I don't watch much television any more because it aggrevates me to do so and I watch television to be entertained not aggrevated.

My bitterness stems from the start and failure of shows I have watched like "Firefly/Serenity, Space Above and Beyond, Seaquest DSV, Earth 2", And finally SG-1 and now SG-Atlantis. I began watching Sanctuary but have decided to stop with the ending of this season. (sorry Amanda). From now on I'm just gonna buy the dvds when the show ends and sell as used when Im through.

It's my jinx though really I started watching SG-1 in mid season 8 (cause I figured it'd never fly with a diff cast than the movie) but shortly after I started enjoying that show it got cancelled. And no Movies wont come close to making up for the loss of the show. (more like pouring lemon on the wound...let it die.) Firefly?..never heard of it till Serenity came out. I remember thinking "hey maybe this would make a great show!" Little did I know it was already a dead one. Oh Yeah btw I also killed Farscape Sorry. Am I Still on Topic?...Umm Ima shut up now..Sorry If I migrated Off Topic. Really Did love Firefly and Serenity. My Wife frequently hears me say "I cant belive they canceled that show!" at random and without anyone being in the same room.

Wolf
Man makes plans, God laughs.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 26. Jan 09, 19:10

well you know the story of Firefly is the story of FOX airing the show out of order and in different times. Then deciding - that no-one is watching it.

(if you buy Firefly DVD, they have "air dates" on every episode - and it's hilarious... in a very morbid way)

Sci Fi channel on another hand, according to Richard Hatch (Battlestar Galactica actor), can not support TV series for too long. Their budget is kinda silly. It mostly revolves around short lived series and straight-to-sci-fi-channel movies, that no-one watches.

Last time I heard him speak (at DragonCon), he said he hopes to create a different network, maybe one that would heavily rely on the internet and downloaded content (I imagine), which through donations could maintain such shows.

(I've no idea how he'll accomplish that)

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Mon, 26. Jan 09, 19:37

I knew i have forgotten to do something, sorry.

Minor update on the DVD front.

Firefly and Serenity have been released on Blu-Ray, the Firefly blu-ray edition has some more extras than the regular edition.

Now on the Joss and actors front.

Dollhouse and Terminator (Joss Wheson's new show, and Summers series) will both be aired together in Fridays, obviously to counter Sci-fi's friday, lets hope than they don't get canned in the process, the date is somewhere in February.

Castle (With Nathan Fillion as writer/actor) will air in March on ABC.

Chuck (Adam Baldwin) will continue in February.

EDIT:

@Wolf, welcome, you are not that late :P

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Mon, 26. Jan 09, 19:42

Wolfgar wrote:Pardon me for being late.

In my honest opinion Fox and the Sci-Fi Channel couldn't hang on to good shows if they were wearing gloves coated with sand and broken glass. I don't watch much television any more because it aggrevates me to do so and I watch television to be entertained not aggrevated.

My bitterness stems from the start and failure of shows I have watched like "Firefly/Serenity, Space Above and Beyond, Seaquest DSV, Earth 2", And finally SG-1 and now SG-Atlantis. I began watching Sanctuary but have decided to stop with the ending of this season. (sorry Amanda). From now on I'm just gonna buy the dvds when the show ends and sell as used when Im through.

It's my jinx though really I started watching SG-1 in mid season 8 (cause I figured it'd never fly with a diff cast than the movie) but shortly after I started enjoying that show it got cancelled. And no Movies wont come close to making up for the loss of the show. (more like pouring lemon on the wound...let it die.) Firefly?..never heard of it till Serenity came out. I remember thinking "hey maybe this would make a great show!" Little did I know it was already a dead one. Oh Yeah btw I also killed Farscape Sorry. Am I Still on Topic?...Umm Ima shut up now..Sorry If I migrated Off Topic. Really Did love Firefly and Serenity. My Wife frequently hears me say "I cant belive they canceled that show!" at random and without anyone being in the same room.

Wolf
Come on, SG1 lasted 10 years, and the final years were rubbish. 10 bloody years is a hell of a good run for a TV show. DSV just degenerated into nonsense, and then Michael Ironside took over as captain, and had a bunch of mutants on board, and bye bye submarine. Farscape had a long run too (although I watched the first season and just thought it was a bunch of naff muppets to be honest).

Atlantis finally got cancelled after viewing figures dropped (I read with great delight a guy on a torrent forum complaining about the axing of Atlantis, and that they should all start a campaign to get it back as they all watch the show. He really didn't get the irony that he DOESN'T watch the show, he downloads it. Therefore not watching the advertising, therefore not paying for the show, therefore cancelled.)
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 26. Jan 09, 22:50

I agree with the above.

A show being canned after 4+ series isn't a tragedy - there is a lifetime to a show, some manage to run for years when they shouldn't have, and others manage to last a few series because that is all they could really manage. Any longer and they'd have been dire (some are by the time they're pulled).

Firefly got canned before it even managed one series, despite it being excellent - that is a shame. SG1/Atlantis isn't.

Needless to say, Serenity was on ITV 2/3/4 (select the right one) over Xmas so I caught it :)

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Tue, 27. Jan 09, 19:56

Dragoongfa wrote:Firefly and Serenity have been released on Blu-Ray, the Firefly blu-ray edition has some more extras than the regular edition.
Was it actually shot in HD or is this just an upscaling?
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Tue, 27. Jan 09, 20:07

I don't know the details and the technicalities but it was initially shot in HD, then converted to 4:3.

One of the beefs between Whedon and F*X was that Whedon wanted to shoot the show in widescreen format while the network wouldn't air it as widescreen, so they shot it in HD widescreen film and then converted it to 4:3 ratio for airing and DVDs.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Tue, 27. Jan 09, 21:08

JMS had similar issues with B5. If you watch the DVDs, you may notice (especially now I've told you) that all the CGI was in 4:3 but the live action was shot in wide-screen. CGI shots on the DVDs, which appear wide-screen, are just zooms of a letterbox within the 4:3. Composite (green/blue screen) shots also have to bee zoomed in, occasionally meaning people have the tops of their heads chopped off.

If Firefly was shot and CGIed in wide-screen, it should be fine that way on the DVD/Blu-Ray.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 27. Jan 09, 21:15

my Firefly DVD set is "anamorphic widescreen 1.78:1"

(and now I even know what it means)

doesnt seem like that's anything "new" then, is it?

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Sun, 22. Feb 09, 22:52

Minor update for an online poll.

Seems that NASA wants to name a new part of the International Space Station, they have made an online poll with several names one of which, you guessed it is Serenity.

Some Browncoats in NASA actually managed to have the name nominated, here is the link to the poll:

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/name_ISS/index.html

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sun, 22. Feb 09, 22:54

82% Browncoats so far. ;)

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Mon, 23. Feb 09, 00:54

To be perfectly honest, it's the only name offered which fits the theme of the other two nodes. Are you certain it was even browncoat-inspired, rather than chosen to fit the theme?

Unity-Harmony-Earthrise: Bleh.
Unity-Harmony-Legacy: Better, but doesn't really sound right
Unity-Harmony-Serenity: Fits
Unity-Harmony-Venture: Nope

Return to “Off Topic English”