SOLVED NOW Thx - My PC infected or just settings weird?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pixel
x3tc

SOLVED NOW Thx - My PC infected or just settings weird?

Post by pixel » Sun, 4. Jan 04, 13:52

Hi

Recently some things on my pc have changed:

1) when a download is finished I get audio notification but my pc no longer asks if I want to open it or not

2) when I click an outside link on this forum (for example) or open a new internet window from a current window, the new window stays in the background - to open the window I have to right click on the page icon on the toolbar and click maximize.

No big deal but very odd.

I am running windows XP with explorer 6.0.

I have up to date AVGuard which finds no problems and spybot 1.2 which also shows OK.

Any help much appreciated!!

edit : just to make 1) clearer - the download box used to remain open with the options of open/cancel on it - now I just get audio notification and the download box automatically closes itself
Last edited by pixel on Mon, 5. Jan 04, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
"I find your lack of belief in the Three Dimensionality disturbing." Mercenary

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Red wine...the only way to frag

The_Rock
x2

Re: Help plz! My PC infected or just settings weird?

Post by The_Rock » Sun, 4. Jan 04, 15:17

pixel wrote:...

edit : just to make 1) clearer - the download box used to remain open with the options of open/cancel on it - now I just get audio notification and the download box automatically closes itself
silly question.

is that "tick" option checked now on the download dialog box?
"How very touching his meaningless death was. But this fight was never for mortals".

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Sun, 4. Jan 04, 16:33

The_Rock wrote:
pixel wrote:...

silly question.

is that "tick" option checked now on the download dialog box?
yes it is

but eeeerrrmmmm....the thing has gone back to normal now!!!!!

thanks tho Rock :)

but no 2 is still there and that is what is annoying me!!

weird

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

MrFrog
x3

Post by MrFrog » Sun, 4. Jan 04, 23:54

pixel wrote:Hi

2) when I click an outside link on this forum (for example) or open a new internet window from a current window, the new window stays in the background - to open the window I have to right click on the page icon on the toolbar and click maximize.
I had a similar problem - although not quite the same - I seem to remember that it was something buried in the Interent options that I had inadvertantly changed - but because I am so old I can't remember what at the moment......................................

If it comes back to me i'll let you know but that's where to look. (second thought - have you added any pop up blockers - they have this effect sometimes)

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Mon, 5. Jan 04, 19:15

Thx Mr Frog but I cannot find anything in the options that helps and quitting the popup stopper does not help....

more info on the problem:

when I click a link a small title bar appears above the link - if I double click this the new window opens , if I dont click it then the title bar disappears when I click on the original page and the new window is automatically minimized and I have to right click on the toolbar --> maximize to be able to see it

PLEASE HELP THIS IS DRVING ME NUTS!!

raskor414
x2

Post by raskor414 » Mon, 5. Jan 04, 21:15

Have you tried:

Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Restore Defaults

:?:
MSI 875P NEO
P4 2.8c w/ HT enabled
1g Crucial PC3200
Radeon 9600XT 128m
SB Live XGamer

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Mon, 5. Jan 04, 23:34

raskor414 wrote:Have you tried:

Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Restore Defaults

:?:
yes :(

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Mon, 5. Jan 04, 23:39

Problem solved!!!
I figured it was the window not expanding properly due to the fact that I closed a previous windo that was very small

ie probably a popup that I closed ASAP

so all subsequent new windows were very small too (ie only showing the title bar)

so I tried dragging the title bar to make it bigger - it worked - all windows are now back to normal!!

Thanks guys for your ideas anyway!!! :D

Return to “Off Topic English”