The Rant Thread. :)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Should this thread be renamed as above?

Yes
26%
No
6%
Cook off you miserable old git!
68%

Total votes: 68

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Thu, 24. Oct 13, 19:02

I'm not sure it's a good idea to encourage him in this matter. He's already quite keen to nuke the Squirrels.

Samuel Creshal
x3tc

Post by Samuel Creshal » Thu, 24. Oct 13, 19:12

Morkonan wrote:You should totally get one of those USB controlled rocket launchers...
Sadly, the other office is zombie invasion proof. The printer is in the basement, the offices are on second floor, and there are no more than two employees in each room.

Hmm… Can you link them to a central firing computer? Nothing screams "death from above" like two dozen rocket launchers firing in unison. :twisted:
Probably kept the guy who sold the company keyboards happy, though.
Thankfully, a Model M takes plenty of (ab-)use. Sounds interesting.
brucewarren wrote:He's already quite keen to nuke the Squirrels.
To my defence, they totally deserve it.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 25. Oct 13, 15:17

I have never seriously used Microsoft Word before.
Sure I have used the hell out if to type stuff, but I have never used it in the sense of making full use of all the formatting options, track changes, referencing cross-referencing etc

I am not realizing what a broken heap of shit it is, and why people complain so much about it. I have honestly spent as much time working my way round bugs in Word as I have writing my damn thesis.

I now have an issue where by EVERY possible definition paragraph 1 is on the previous page to paragraph 2. . . . and yet it INSISTS on numbering 2 as 1 and 1 as 2.

I have spent half a ****** day on this! I have tried every conceivable rearrangement tto try and force it to number correctly and it just WON'T.
I am at my wits end.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sat, 26. Oct 13, 01:24

This might be a little late to be helpful, but have you tried LyX? Write typical LaTeX documents without actually needing to learn LaTeX. It's designed for scientific papers in particular and handles all the cross-referencing, diagrams, tables and formulae in a much saner way than Word. I haven't actually used a word processor in years.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 13:01

How did this thread fall to page 4! No one got anything to get off their chest any more?

Well I have a couple to restart the thread!

1) If you live in London you will no doubt be aware that 6 cyclist have been killed on the road recently and the establishment is busy kneejerking in response. Statistically speaking the last few years have seen a decent increase in the number of people cycling, and the number of deaths and serious injuries have actually decreased in proportion to this rise.

This is in fact entirely in line with experience from other countries which reveal the single most effective means of reducing cycle deaths is increasing the number of cyclists. Cyclists therefore become a normal part of a motorists driving experience and thus they become more aware of them.

Whilst there is no doubt that areas of Londons road design could be improved to improve cycle safety that's not whats being kneejerked, as far cheaper to send some extra police out to fine badly behaved road users for a week or two until the fuss dies down.

Statistics lessons for politicians immediately, a spike does not a trend make. Actually this is a 100% serious suggestion, a large part of a politicians job is making policy decisions on the basis of data. . . . data they clearly don't understand.

2) TFL outright lying on their announcements. If a whole line is out of service and will be for a while just fricking say so and allow people to make their way by other means. Don't just hold people waiting around saying "It will all be fine in a minute"

Its not as if they're making honest mistakes, they promise trains are a few minutes away when the train in question is later revealed to never even have left the depot. The also sometimes contradict each other with one person trying to give some honest advice and others towing the line of the BS de jour.

It also goes against all experience they must have. I have had some significant experience of delays due to "Person taken ill on a train" The absolute fastest they can clear this up is about 30 mins, usually with at least 2 trains being taken out of service to re-regulate things. . . . usually the line is shut for hours.
So why do they continue to spout "minor delays" and assure everyone it will all be fixed before the next train arrives in 10 minutes time.

I honestly dunno why they do this, all it results in already pissed off people becoming all the more pissed off.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 13:05

I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 13:13

Took me a moment to realise what you were doing there RM, DOH! :roll:

I was hoping this thread was permanently headed south, now my good ( :roll: ) name is forever linked to negativity and rage!

Ah well **** it... :D

The only good thought about the cycling knee jerk is: registering cyclists so they can be traced. That is a long overdue improvement imo. ( No I do not cycle at all now, but used to an awful lot. ) I doubt it will happen though, politicians just want to be seen to be saying the right things.

Your second rant Bishop reminds me of a stand up comedian saying something very similar about British Rail, back in the day...

:P
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 13:19

greypanther wrote:The only good thought about the cycling knee jerk is: registering cyclists so they can be traced. That is a long overdue improvement imo. ( No I do not cycle at all now, but used to an awful lot. ) I doubt it will happen though, politicians just want to be seen to be saying the right things.
I also kind of like the idea of cycling with headphones being banned as removing one whole sense whilst cycling doesn't seem a very good idea. However I somewhat doubt that hearing in the primary sense by which a cyclist is alerted to the presence of a HUGE lorry about to hit them but perhaps I'm wrong.

I also like the idea of punishing cyclist that jump red lights as it annoys me personally. This is statistically invalid however, apparently only about 2% of accidents are due to cyclists jumping read lights. The most common is cyclists being hit from behind by cars which is about 50% odd.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 13:27

The most common is cyclists being hit from behind by cars which is about 50% odd.
Not really maybe, when you consider the number of cyclists who like dodging in and out of busy traffic. I have lost count of the number of idiots, who whilst I am indicating a left turn, come up on the inside and try to race 163 HP with their two legs! :o
Bad enough when I am stopped, but it has happened many times, where a cyclist performs the manoeuvre, whilst I am actually moving; sometimes wearing dark clothing, from out of my blind spot!!! :o

Some people have a death wish it seems to me, or perhaps an over inflated sense of their own importance/invulnerability.

Samuel Creshal
x3tc

Post by Samuel Creshal » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 13:32

greypanther wrote:try to race 163 HP with their two legs! :o
This actually works pretty well, as most drivers of up-engined cars are pensioners who can even find the gas with a four-hour preparation lecture. :roll:

Hob Anagerik
x3tc

Post by Hob Anagerik » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 13:34

And then get all uppity when you berate them for their undertaking. Cambridge is the absolute worst that I have experienced, and I speaking as a cyclist myself. They are rude, obnoxious, self entitled twits who think they own the road, and the path for that matter. I have seen cycling at night without lights, riding straight through red lights as if they weren't there, travelling at speed right through a pedestrian crossing point while people are trying to cross without so much as a sorry or acceptance that what they have done is wrong.

They are scum and give the rest of us a bad name.
/rant
Windows 7 Pro x64, Intel i7 975, 12GB Corsair Dominator, Asus P6T6 WS Revolution, C.Labs X-Fi Fatal1ty, EVGA Nvidia 3GB 780 Ti, 2x 240GB Intel 520 SSD

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 13:48

Samuel Creshal wrote:
greypanther wrote:try to race 163 HP with their two legs! :o
This actually works pretty well, as most drivers of up-engined cars are pensioners who can even find the gas with a four-hour preparation lecture. :roll:
:lol:
I am not quite there yet Samuel... :)
You make it sound like I drive a sports car, instead of the seven seat; tonne and a half, ( ? ) German built people carrier, that I in fact do. :roll:

Also I can use stereotypes too you know?
Most of the moron cyclists, who appear to have a death wish are: spotty; teenage males; oblivious/uncaring of their surroundings and pedestrians. :roll:

I used to cycle an awful lot, before I ended up with the build of Peter Griffin, but even in my spottiest teenage moment, I would not try to contest roadspace with something as big and hurty as a car or lorry. I put it down to the defective mindset of those born, after 1980... :P

Samuel Creshal
x3tc

Post by Samuel Creshal » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 14:27

greypanther wrote:I put it down to the defective mindset of those born, after 1980... :P
I agree!, your generation totally sucks at educating children. :P :lol:

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 23:09

Bishop149 wrote:2) TFL outright lying on their announcements.
It could be worse - they could be Amtrak. (Warning: Long.)
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

greypanther
x3ap

Re: The Rant Thread. :)

Post by greypanther » Sun, 21. Feb 21, 14:00

Again at the risk of annoying the mods, ( sorry alan, honest. :) ) also at the sort of suggestion of Gavrushka, I thought I would restart this thread from quite a while ago. Was it really so long ago? My doesn't time fly when you are having fun?

To restart: Facebook and Twitter! Damn them! :evil:
I know they have some small benefit to the world, but surely this is far outweighed by the negatives? I mean just look at all the false stories, that are supposed to be true, all the damage they can do. Fake news? Then there is the abuse that was coming from the Donald. I feels sure it was all started with the best of intentions, but as my Grandma used to say: The road to hell is paved with good intentions. :rant:

I wish they would ban/shut down both, probably could start a vote on it in fact. It's all Gavruska's fault! The resurection of this thread and my naughty posts, that is... :P

Praefectus classis
x4

Post by Praefectus classis » Sun, 21. Feb 21, 15:15

greypanther wrote:
Sun, 21. Feb 21, 14:00
Again at the risk of annoying the mods, ( sorry alan, honest. :) ) also at the sort of suggestion of Gavrushka, I thought I would restart this thread from quite a while ago. Was it really so long ago? My doesn't time fly when you are having fun?
Well as you are the original poster and the thread is still relevant then I think you may be OK but every site has their own rules on necroposts.
greypanther wrote:
I know they have some small benefit to the world, but surely this is far outweighed by the negatives? I mean just look at all the false stories, that are supposed to be true, all the damage they can do. Fake news? Then there is the abuse that was coming from the Donald. I feels sure it was all started with the best of intentions, but as my Grandma used to say: The road to hell is paved with good intentions. :rant:

I wish they would ban/shut down both, probably could start a vote on it in fact. It's all Gavruska's fault! The resurection of this thread and my naughty posts, that is... :P
I hate both but I'm on Faceache but only rarely look at it. The last time was October / November last year. I do notice that it's messed up even more than the last time I looked at it. :(

The latest annoyances are with ads on my phone whilst playing Freecell. A couple of months ago I was getting ads for care homes and sheltered accommodation. Last night I got one for booking your cremation in advance! :shock: I know I'm getting on a bit but I'm not even retired yet! :rant:
Reality is an illusion created by a lack of the X-universe
My new forum My original forum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 21. Feb 21, 15:27

@ greypanther: It's fine - just don't mention Trump. :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 08:57

Can we rant about people ranting?

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 12:10

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 22. Feb 21, 08:57
Can we rant about people ranting?
That is called arguing isn't it?
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 12:59

greypanther wrote:
A book on my face would tilt my nose. Hence I prefer Toilet Paper.
It is a service that gathers honest content ...

Return to “Off Topic English”