Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Re: Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Post by Tamina » Mon, 30. Dec 19, 16:21

I am just wondering if this game is going to be fun when it is finished.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Mon, 6. Jan 20, 08:19

Tamina wrote:
Mon, 30. Dec 19, 16:21
I am just wondering if this game is going to be fun when it is finished.
Star Citizen or Squadron 42? If it is going to be fun depends on what kind of games one likes. What kind of game you would like to Squadron 42 and Star Citizen to be?

Lots of people finds Star Citizen Alpha versions fun already as do I. There are some things I don't like, and others I like a lot.

Veantur4

Post by Veantur4 » Sun, 22. Oct 23, 16:24

i want to revieve this thread

yesteday at the CitizenCon the actual and in shortly released features weren shown and they are realy impressive
i am blown away

https://youtu.be/2OUGMKFw5Zw

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 22. Oct 23, 20:16

Veantur4 wrote:
Sun, 22. Oct 23, 16:24

yesteday at the CitizenCon the actual and in shortly released features weren shown and they are realy impressive
i am blown away

I'll pay attention to Star Citizen again when there is a 1.0 release. Not a moment earlier. I used to pay quite close attention, built a computer for it which went obsolete over the years waiting for its release.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 22. Oct 23, 21:53

Falcrack wrote:
Sun, 22. Oct 23, 20:16
Veantur4 wrote:
Sun, 22. Oct 23, 16:24

i am blown away

I'll pay attention to Star Citizen again when there is a 1.0 release. Not a moment earlier. I used to pay quite close attention, built a computer for it which went obsolete over the years waiting for its release.
Same here - it looked already awesome 12 years ago. Failed to deliver up to this point. Just had a quick look into the video Veantur4 provided - and it is all tech demo again. They are aiming too high and don't even have ironed out their LOD problems yet (popins during the planet flight in that video are awful)

And let's not forget - it's a multiplayer game at its core with singleplayer as sideproduct. So pretty low on my "must-have"-list.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 22. Oct 23, 22:46

Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:55 pm
That's the date I created this thread; it's been 11 years 1 month 12 days at 2 hours. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get excited about with regards to Star Citizen after 11 years. Especially not a video that's just graphics and effects.
I seriously hope it is all everyone hopes for, but it's gone so far beyond what I was hoping to see, I no longer keep up as why should I be excited?

I do appreciate the heads up, but... it's just graphics. When (if) it gets released I'll likely immerse myself into it with my "golden ticket", but frankly, I stopped hoping for it's release years ago. Nice if it arrives, but forgotten if it doesn't.

Veantur4

Post by Veantur4 » Sun, 22. Oct 23, 23:46

They showed the new FPS tech and it looks promising

Demonstration of the new FPS Mechanics in the new Hangar 14 enviroment. New AI behavior, new looting mechaniccs, new weapon recoil, new weapons sound, working grenades and new fire mechanics are shown.

https://youtu.be/4ES2nuGiGX0

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 23. Oct 23, 07:10

Veantur4 wrote:
Sun, 22. Oct 23, 23:46
They showed the new FPS tech and it looks promising

Demonstration of the new FPS Mechanics in the new Hangar 14 enviroment. New AI behavior, new looting mechaniccs, new weapon recoil, new weapons sound, working grenades and new fire mechanics are shown.

https://youtu.be/4ES2nuGiGX0
FPS was the aspect of Star Citizen that I was least excited about when it was announced. That hasn't changed in all these years, but it seems like FPS is the primary aspect being focused on.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Mon, 23. Oct 23, 07:47

Squadron 42 .. correct me if I'm wrong .. but its still not released yet right?.

I'm not interested in the overly ambitious multiplayer (not my bag) Star Citizen project.
At this point it seems like a scam for all the backers, maybe Donald Trump is in charge.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Mon, 23. Oct 23, 08:43

Well, it was yet another great CitizenCon this year. I have not watched all the presentations yet but those which I saw were interesting and pretty impressive. I would have liked to hear more about the state of PU's background simulation (Quantum) but hopefully we will hear about it at some point near future.

Here is the state of Squadron 42 before polishing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDtjzLzs7V8

Edit: They will publish the presentations here: CitizenCon 2953
Last edited by segmentationfault on Mon, 23. Oct 23, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 23. Oct 23, 09:10

segmentationfault wrote:
Mon, 23. Oct 23, 08:43
Here is the state of Squadron 42 before polishing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDtjzLzs7V8
If present day industry standard is any reference - all this footage should be treated as a vertical slice at best, or as a lie at worst, until release prove otherwise.
Squadron 42 is already a few years late.

Veantur4

Post by Veantur4 » Mon, 23. Oct 23, 12:17

Star Citizen - Housing Mechanics Base Building - CitizenCon 2953

https://youtu.be/xWCUhyhNfOE

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 23. Oct 23, 14:57

@ Veantur4: Please don't post links without any personal analysis or discussion. What does the released information mean to you, and what opinions do you have about it?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Tue, 24. Oct 23, 01:12

People are still waiting for this? Seriously, it's vaporware until released.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 24. Oct 23, 02:47

Nevertheless, I still enjoy seeing updates from time to time. At my age, I doubt I'll ever play it though.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Tue, 24. Oct 23, 08:35

Cpt.Jericho wrote:
Tue, 24. Oct 23, 01:12
People are still waiting for this?
Yes, there seems to be still lots of people waiting for this. There has been no alternatives so many seems to be still interested about this project. Of course PU makes waiting much more easier and fun.
To me personally SQ42 is not that interesting but Star Citizen PU is.
Cpt.Jericho wrote:
Tue, 24. Oct 23, 01:12
Seriously, it's vaporware until released.
All announced projects all. It is still OK to be excited and wait for these games.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 24. Oct 23, 09:57

segmentationfault wrote:
Tue, 24. Oct 23, 08:35
There has been no alternatives so many seems to be still interested about this project.
There have been tons of SP and MMO space game in the span of Star Citizen development.

X4 and NMS for single player.
Space Engineers, Empyrion, like dozen other MP and MMO that lived and died.

Star Citizen crowd is simply delusional cult.

SQ42 "feature complet" could mean anything from 6 month to 5 years till release.
Didn't we had similar SQ42 gameplay demo like 4 years ago?

This is nuts that all it takes for people to be distracted are gimmics like sweat on NPC or fire mechanics.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Tue, 24. Oct 23, 10:10

mr.WHO wrote:
Tue, 24. Oct 23, 09:57
segmentationfault wrote:
Tue, 24. Oct 23, 08:35
There has been no alternatives so many seems to be still interested about this project.
There have been tons of SP and MMO space game in the span of Star Citizen development.

X4 and NMS for single player.
Space Engineers, Empyrion, like dozen other MP and MMO that lived and died.
There are plenty of other great space games additional to your list, like Starbase, In The Black, NEBULOUS: Fleet Command, etc. The thing is that of them provides similar experience as Star Citizen. I can't play for example Starbase as an alternative to Star Citizen because it doesn't provides features and experience what Star Citizen PU Alpha does.
Who needs X4: Foundations when we can play NMS ... ?

Veantur4

Post by Veantur4 » Sat, 28. Oct 23, 12:18

https://youtu.be/4wJx9XCzHxY

This is an example of why I think Star Citizen is a special game. Yes it is an alpha and it is still full of bugs and many promises have not yet been fulfilled, but it is the freedom that makes the game special.

It reminds me so much of Ultima Online when you meet other players you have the freedom to decide if you want to start a friendly conversation or kill them and loot their stuff.
You just have to be willing to live with the consequences.

Mailo
x3

Post by Mailo » Sat, 28. Oct 23, 15:13

Veantur4 wrote:
Sat, 28. Oct 23, 12:18
https://youtu.be/4wJx9XCzHxY

This is an example of why I think Star Citizen is a special game. Yes it is an alpha and it is still full of bugs and many promises have not yet been fulfilled, but it is the freedom that makes the game special.

It reminds me so much of Ultima Online when you meet other players you have the freedom to decide if you want to start a friendly conversation or kill them and loot their stuff.
You just have to be willing to live with the consequences.
Hmm ... the first thought when watching that video was "Is that guy tapdancing? Why are his footsteps so quick, and not in sync with the animations?", followed by "Holy lag teleport, Batman". Also, to me that is pretty much the epitome of bad gameplay. Yes, the player who shot the video might have gotten some giggles from ganking an unsuspecting player, the guy on the other side probably just had his night (or week, or month, depending on how long it will take to get the stuff he lost back) ruined.
Even if I did like PvP, I think I would find this bad ... the other guy had no chance to fight back, and the attacker did not even do anything special to get this blind kill ... no hiding, no setting of traps, no tactics. He just runs up, instakills the other guy with no danger or challenge to him, and steals his stuff.

I personally am so so glad I did not fall for it way back when and did not back the "successor to Wing Commander", because this is about as far from Wing Commander as you can get and still be a computer game.

Honest question, because I really do not understand it: What makes this so special compared to the other myriad of free-for-all PvP games, almost all of which failed miserably (only exception I can think of is EvE, but there you have at least HighSec)?
As a personal service to all who try to keep up with my professional work:
[ external image ]

My script: Shiploot v1.04 ... loot shipwrecks, collect different loot parts and upgrade your ships!
Mein Skript: Schiffswracks looten v1.04 ... Durchsuche Schiffswracks, sammle Lootteile und verbessere Deine Schiffe!

Return to “Off Topic English”