Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Axeface
x4

Re: Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Post by Axeface » Mon, 18. Nov 19, 04:13

I'll have to retract my statement in regards to you then felter. I have said time and time again that the only valid argument against star citizen in my opinion is from people that backed right at the start that are not happy with the 'feature creep'. The plans for game did get more complex and change (that ended a long time ago though and we have known the full plans since about 2015), however, wasnt there a period where refunds were offered to original backers freely and without debate because of the changing plans? Iirc there was a 'get out of backer free' card offered very early on? Or am i misremembering. I purchased my Aurora later, in 2014.

As for it being absurd that they are still working on ships, I dont agree at all and I dont really understand. They are not going to stop working on ships until the game dies - we are going to continually get new ships even after the game officially releases, in fact its going to be set into lore with manufacturers bringing out new ships as time goes on (I love this). Their ship art team is never going to be done. It would of course be absurd if I were to look at it from the point of view of a person that wanted a finished wing commander-esk game years ago.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 18. Nov 19, 20:34

Axeface wrote:
Mon, 18. Nov 19, 04:13
As for it being absurd that they are still working on ships, I dont agree at all and I dont really understand.
Yeah, agree on that. Not just for extra variety (how many games get modded to add more!), but also if you employ people to make models and so on - may as well keep em busy - and as seen with things like World of Warships/Tanks, you can always make them "specials" which are purchase in real money only (but not necessarily better than others) to generate funds.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 19. Nov 19, 00:04

I'd just like to fly the Connie I bought however many years ago in a game that was meant to be released however many years ago - 1.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Fri, 22. Nov 19, 11:14

CitizenCon 2949 is tomorrow but there will be also Intergalactic Aerospace Expo 2949 starting from 24th. It is in-game expo showing and advertising new and old ships. This year it will be kept in Bevic Convention Center at Area 18/ArcCorp. There's a bus which goes there every few minutes.

I guess the expo will be pretty similar to last year. Nov 30 is dedicated to Drake Interplanetary which I'm mostly interested.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 22. Nov 19, 19:38

segmentationfault wrote:
Fri, 22. Nov 19, 11:14
CitizenCon 2949 is tomorrow but there will be also Intergalactic Aerospace Expo 2949 starting from 24th. It is in-game expo showing and advertising new and old ships. This year it will be kept in Bevic Convention Center at Area 18/ArcCorp. There's a bus which goes there every few minutes.

I guess the expo will be pretty similar to last year. Nov 30 is dedicated to Drake Interplanetary which I'm mostly interested.
There will probably be a free fly event at the same time too?

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Fri, 22. Nov 19, 21:31

Axeface wrote:
Fri, 22. Nov 19, 19:38
There will probably be a free fly event at the same time too?
Yes, there actually will - "Fly all 100+ ships in the 'verse". Jax McCleary should be there as well.

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Mon, 25. Nov 19, 01:03

So, at this CitizenCon they finally showed their "gate" leading to a new system (a second system, can you believe it? They'll surely be 100 in no time)....never done before stuff of course, a total paradigm shift in gate design.

I mean, even if there were any similarities with anything done before that, I really couldn't put my finger on them...

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Mon, 25. Nov 19, 03:49

Aken_Bosch wrote:
Mon, 25. Nov 19, 01:03
So, at this CitizenCon they finally showed their "gate" leading to a new system (a second system, can you believe it? They'll surely be 100 in no time)....never done before stuff of course, a total paradigm shift in gate design.

I mean, even if there were any similarities with anything done before that, I really couldn't put my finger on them...
Regarding the speed of creating systems (even though I am under no delusions about actually getting 100 systems), did you watch the presentation about the new (and finished) version 4 of the procedural planet technology?

As for the gate, Star Citizen is indeed full of cliches (although I dont agree with the sentiment in this case) - it's kind of a running joke, loads of things in the game are inspired by popular sci-fi. Look at the Reclaimer video for example, it's literally Alien. But this isnt a problem, there is nothing wrong with being inspired by other things.
And the actual wormhole in my opinion was stunning, i've seen it before in sci-fi but I think it's a great way to do it. You dont need to re-invent the wheel just to be original.

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Mon, 25. Nov 19, 09:52

I'm ok with being inspired too, but there's a difference between being inspired and simply rip off because you lack that same inspiration. Look at that gate again.

Fair to say, nice wormhole effect indeed, I agree. Two minutes of that? Really? "Disable wormhole transition" option in 3...2...

(Also, don't expect I'm here pointing at that and being all "hurr durr X my favourite game, you steal its precious!" just because it's the Egosoft forum :D ...16 years later and I'm still a bit more than suspicious on the striking resemblance between X2 Titans and Starship Troopers' Rodger Young class of ships :sceptic: )

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Mon, 25. Nov 19, 10:42

CitizenCon presentations were awesome and it would have been great to be there. People seemed to have good time. Hard to say which presentations I found most interesting - all of them had good information. Presentations will be available in their Youtube-channel. A new website 'Galactapedia' is a great addition.

Good times ahead.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sun, 1. Dec 19, 01:49

segmentationfault wrote:
Mon, 25. Nov 19, 10:42
CitizenCon presentations were awesome and it would have been great to be there. People seemed to have good time. Hard to say which presentations I found most interesting - all of them had good information. Presentations will be available in their Youtube-channel. A new website 'Galactapedia' is a great addition.

Good times ahead.
I felt they pulled it off because of the wormhole and Pyro, but before that it just felt like a trainwreck (as per usual right? doing it live!). The FOIP not working was a real bummer, you can hear it in Chris' voice, he knows that if all the things were working everyone would 'get it', the amazing experience would be there for all to see. But things never work right at Citcon and its hard to see the vision. I think they should do a pre-recorded section instead to get across the possibilities, potential and design direction, and then a live bit for the fun of it.
Aken_Bosch wrote:
Mon, 25. Nov 19, 09:52
I'm ok with being inspired too, but there's a difference between being inspired and simply rip off because you lack that same inspiration. Look at that gate again.
I actually have the same worries. I think Chris Roberts is obsessed with everything sci-fi and when he sees something cool he wants to add it to the mix. But I dont think him saying 'I want Nostromo and a video just like Alien' translates to star citizen being some kind of cluster**** of everything thrown together, there are too many good people at CIG ;p Ones ships design might be similar to something else, and its video heavily inspired by a movie, but the end result in-game doesnt end up being just a copy of something else for the sake of it.
I actually think Chris should leave more of the concept work up to his (very, very talented) employees ;p

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Sun, 1. Dec 19, 22:22

Axeface wrote:
Sun, 1. Dec 19, 01:49
I felt they pulled it off because of the wormhole and Pyro, but before that it just felt like a trainwreck (as per usual right? doing it live!). The FOIP not working was a real bummer, you can hear it in Chris' voice, he knows that if all the things were working everyone would 'get it', the amazing experience would be there for all to see. But things never work right at Citcon and its hard to see the vision. I think they should do a pre-recorded section instead to get across the possibilities, potential and design direction, and then a live bit for the fun of it.
Yeah, I think pre-recording the demo would be good idea if they would like to impress people outside of the community. But as CitizenCon is today I think is still made for the community and therefore doing it live is the best way - community 'gets it'; alpha versions has bugs, SOCS/SSOCS, planetary tech v4, etc.

"Sure, we could record a demo, and pass it through editorial to remove any blemishes, but that's not really our style, for a number of reasons. We prefer it to be raw and authentic." - Zyloh-CIG

Have you seen their "Locked up" gameplay demo yet? How do you like it?
Have you been tempted to pledge more during IAE 2949?

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sun, 1. Dec 19, 23:23

segmentationfault wrote:
Sun, 1. Dec 19, 22:22
Axeface wrote:
Sun, 1. Dec 19, 01:49
Yeah, I think pre-recording the demo would be good idea if they would like to impress people outside of the community. But as CitizenCon is today I think is still made for the community and therefore doing it live is the best way - community 'gets it'; alpha versions has bugs, SOCS/SSOCS, planetary tech v4, etc.

"Sure, we could record a demo, and pass it through editorial to remove any blemishes, but that's not really our style, for a number of reasons. We prefer it to be raw and authentic." - Zyloh-CIG

Have you seen their "Locked up" gameplay demo yet? How do you like it?
Have you been tempted to pledge more during IAE 2949?
I havent seen that demo yet no, i'll watch it now. As for being tempted, sure, if i had disposable income ide spend more than my $45. But im happy with my Aurora and dont feel the need to spend more in general.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Mon, 2. Dec 19, 05:32

Axeface wrote:
Sun, 1. Dec 19, 23:23
I havent seen that demo yet no, i'll watch it now. As for being tempted, sure, if i had disposable income ide spend more than my $45. But im happy with my Aurora and dont feel the need to spend more in general.
Yep, if the game will be good it more fun to earn (buy/rent/loan) ships in-game anyway. There are no many ships I'm even interested in and as a solo player low end "starter ships" looks just perfect for me.

Prison gameplay loop looks pretty fun and way more versatile I expected.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 3. Dec 19, 20:38

Promises made, promises broken, how much has been completed and what is happening, you want to know any of it, then check out StarCitizen Tracker,
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch » Thu, 12. Dec 19, 14:52

Axeface wrote:
Mon, 25. Nov 19, 03:49
As for the gate, Star Citizen is indeed full of cliches (although I dont agree with the sentiment in this case) - it's kind of a running joke...

And the actual wormhole in my opinion was stunning, i've seen it before in sci-fi but I think it's a great way to do it. You dont need to re-invent the wheel just to be original.
Yep, expanding and contracting tubes in space. Definitely never been done before.

https://youtu.be/tiLR9CMtAQk?t=494

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 13. Dec 19, 11:17

Memnoch wrote:
Thu, 12. Dec 19, 14:52
Axeface wrote:
Mon, 25. Nov 19, 03:49
As for the gate, Star Citizen is indeed full of cliches (although I dont agree with the sentiment in this case) - it's kind of a running joke...

Yep, expanding and contracting tubes in space. Definitely never been done before.

https://youtu.be/tiLR9CMtAQk?t=494
Erm, isn't that precisely what the person you're quoting said? If "everything must be original" is your mandate for any game or movie or ... anything, then methinks your life is going to be devoid of any form of "the arts". There's plenty of critiques to be had, but at this point stuff like this seems more "i want to bash it because it's ...." rather than real valid stuff :D

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch » Sat, 28. Dec 19, 14:23

Chips wrote:
Fri, 13. Dec 19, 11:17
There's plenty of critiques to be had, but at this point stuff like this seems more "i want to bash it because it's ...." rather than real valid stuff :D
I agree to a point. But CIG have a history of reinventing the wheel, and proclaiming it revolutionary. Anyone remember physics grids? They didn't invent them, yet seemed to go out of their way to suggest they had just invented something incredible.

Credit where credit is due, they have managed to get an engine that was entirely unsuited for large scale environments to do just that, but its been creaking for a while now. It's only a matter of time before they have to scale back on what they can realistically deliver. SQ42, as a single player experience, seems entirely doable. But SC, with 100's of players in fully manned capital ships fighting it out...expectations are going to have to be managed. The community don't want to hear that, CIG don't want to say it, but it's coming.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 29. Dec 19, 01:19

Memnoch wrote:
Sat, 28. Dec 19, 14:23
...expectations are going to have to be managed.
I think I'd argue that they consistently failed to do that since the year dot.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch » Mon, 30. Dec 19, 12:29

True, I guess. I've always likened CIG to a puffed up Red Supergiant star. CIG seem entirely reliant on a steady stream of "pledges" for new ship concepts. They have no other form of revenue stream from the public, other than a tiny trickle I suspect they get from subscribers, or private investors.

Once those ship sales..sorry, JPEG sales, dries up they will collapse under their own weight. Another analogy would be them standing at the bottom of a pit of sand. The minute they stop shovelling they will be engulfed. And boy do CIG know how to shovel it.

Return to “Off Topic English”