Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

felter
xr

Re: Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Post by felter » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 22:46

Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Tue, 5. Feb 19, 18:20
this game is never going to happen

Yeah but at least Roberts got a nice new house and nice expensive cars from it, that's the main thing.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 7. Feb 19, 02:03

I wonder if the game end up dried of fun without a deliverable ... can it be considered some soft of Ponzi scheme? :sceptic:
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Sat, 23. Feb 19, 13:44

Mightysword wrote:
Thu, 7. Feb 19, 02:03
I wonder if the game end up dried of fun without a deliverable ... can it be considered some soft of Ponzi scheme? :sceptic:
Who knows, but at least for now it doesn't look like that. Year 2018 was best year for the project so far and the support seems to be stronger than ever. Looking their plans for quarterly releases, progress doesn't seem to slow down. It is going to be yet another amazing year for Star Citizen.

Once X4: Foundations will get a Linux-version I will finally give Star Citizen testing a rest for a while.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Sun, 24. Feb 19, 12:06

Amazing year, is that because the introduced dance moves or was it the emojis? NO NO the land buys or the Tanks! Must be when they cracked AI collision mechanics, the others have been using for years.

SC has not had a great year, it has continued development, continued feature creep over the feature creep and they are so short on funds they have had to sell 10% of the company for 40 million to drum up cash.

They should have perfected the 'bit in SPACE' first, released a game, the modern follow up to Wing Commander as promised to the people how gave them their first 20 million, so they could be here at all for the hype train crowd to jump on the band wagon.

As soon as we lost Wing Man's Nuts it all went sideways.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Sun, 24. Feb 19, 14:34

muppetts wrote:
Sun, 24. Feb 19, 12:06
SC has not had a great year, it has continued development, continued feature creep over the feature creep and they are so short on funds they have had to sell 10% of the company for 40 million to drum up cash.
They should have perfected the 'bit in SPACE' first, released a game, the modern follow up to Wing Commander as promised to the people how gave them their first 20 million, so they could be here at all for the hype train crowd to jump on the band wagon.
They made great progress and released four big releases with big milestones in 2018. Supporters were happy and showed their gratitude by testing release versions, giving them creative feedback and supported the project financially by pledging ships. I consider that as a amazing year for the project. I'm also happy that they decided to use funding to game development and not to the marketing.

Year 2019 looks very strong; lots of quality of life improvements from SQ42 along with many big features. I'm not personally as interested in new locations as many others are but looking forward for new tech and improvements to a core experience.

Well, I'm one of those who is happy that they are working much more than just a modern Wing Commander. Fortunately space game genre is doing strong so hopefully everyone will get a space game they like.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 24. Feb 19, 16:29

I don't really pay that much attention to the game any more I have accepted to just being another Roberts scam. As for it being a good year, where you getting that information from for example you can't trust anything Roberts says their forum is pretty ruthlessly censored where anything bad said is nearly always deleted by the Roberts fan club that runs the forum. Most of what I hear was not actually good, for example they were sued at least a couple of times, once or twice by fans who wanted their money back, and one of them had spent over $20k, he got his money back. As for content there has not been that much introduced but there were several new ships that you could buy for real cash. There are more and more bad videos about the game from frustrated and fed up fans that are banned from the forum for complaining.

See that roadmap that is linked, you know why it's there, because he was sued over it not being there, for not telling people the ones who have given him money what the actual plan was for the game, he didn't do it because he wanted too he did it because he had too. The game is a mess and last year was probably one of the worst years for the game.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Sun, 24. Feb 19, 17:35

felter wrote:
Sun, 24. Feb 19, 16:29
As for it being a good year, where you getting that information from for example you can't trust anything Roberts says their forum is pretty ruthlessly censored where anything bad said is nearly always deleted by the Roberts fan club that runs the forum.
I'm based my information to all the test versions I have tested and to how strong support the project has. Spectrum has has many threads with constructive critical feedback which has helped CIG and improved the game. Spectrum mods are quite sensitive but pretty much all the deleted threads which I have seen has been "SC is a scam!" type of content, so it has not been a big loss.

It is always great to watch videos which has constructive feedback but unfortunately most of the "critical" videos I have seen are just talking about how many bugs there are which is just waste of time - alpha versions has bugs. It is much more interesting to listen feedback about implementation of gamplay features or if someone is debugging some specific bug and trying to help CIG in that way.

I guess the project will continue to have very strong support as long there will be new alpha versions to test and there is no other game in development/market which could be considered as alternative. Alpha 3.5.0 Evocati phase is starting soon.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 24. Feb 19, 22:13

Seems to me, the game was released back in 2011. Part of this game, is watching its evolution and getting to play with the various bits and pieces as they become assembled. Watching endless videos of development progress is also a big part of the "game". I imagine there are ardent fans who have spent hundreds or thousands of dollars, who will be disappointed and lose interest, if/when the game is ever actually officially "released". :)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 25. Feb 19, 08:35

Observe wrote:
Sun, 24. Feb 19, 22:13
Seems to me, the game was released back in 2011.
A year before the Kickstarter campaign? :?

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 25. Feb 19, 20:45

pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 25. Feb 19, 08:35
Observe wrote:
Seems to me, the game was released back in 2011.
A year before the Kickstarter campaign? :?
Yes, of course. The Kickstarter was part of the game don't you know? :)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 27. Feb 19, 10:59

I saw the thread had a new entry and I said to myself "Ah, yeah, that game still hasn't been released yet."

I had forgotten about it... Bajillions of monies spent in a tortured, wacky, development cycle and I forget about it. Bajillions of monies and kajoodles of development hours on what was, at the time, announced as the end-all-be-all-game of space-simulator fight, flight, trade and freedom in a Chris Roberts space-fight-trade-freedom game...

Clean forgot about the damn thing.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Wed, 27. Feb 19, 12:07

Observe wrote:
Watching endless videos of development progress is also a big part of the "game". I imagine there are ardent fans who have spent hundreds or thousands of dollars, who will be disappointed and lose interest, if/when the game is ever actually officially "released". :)
There are plenty of backers who are interested in this kind of content - they are subscribers. It is worth to keep in mind that they are not just following these content but they are testing/playing the game too already.
I personally find video content interesting and a good way to communicate with the developers. In upcoming Friday they are talking (Q&A) about final version of flight model. If this goes great we are going to have a first test version released at same day.

This is kind of hot topic at the moment because community is looking forward new shows after they cancelled Calling All Devs and made Around the Verse shorter.

I would like to see this kind of content happening with all games; Cyberpunk 2077, Beyond & Evil 2, Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord, etc. It was great that Egosoft had some streams during X4 development. I would like to see more of them.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 27. Feb 19, 13:05

segmentationfault wrote:
Wed, 27. Feb 19, 12:07
There are plenty of backers who are interested in this kind of content - they are subscribers. It is worth to keep in mind that they are not just following these content but they are testing/playing the game too already.
So they're beta testers who paid a lot of money for the privilege? Just how warped is the game industry in general that this is seen as a *good* thing? It's as if Ford were going to release a new car and offered "early adopters" the chance to buy a version with no steering wheel and a motorcycle engine, so they could test out how well it goes before the final version is released...

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Wed, 27. Feb 19, 13:21

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 27. Feb 19, 13:05
segmentationfault wrote:
So they're beta testers who paid a lot of money for the privilege? Just how warped is the game industry in general that this is seen as a *good* thing? It's as if Ford were going to release a new car and offered "early adopters" the chance to buy a version with no steering wheel and a motorcycle engine, so they could test out how well it goes before the final version is released...
Subscribers are people who are voluntarely paying $10 or $20 to support the project. The money is used to produce video content, Jump Point magazine, events, etc. Some people are subscribers because of monthly subscriber flairs. Video content is available for free to everyone in their Youtube.com channel.

Anyone who has backed the game can test Alpha versions - $30 during Kickstarter and about $45 today. During Free Fly times anyone can give Alpha-version a try for free and with help testing if they like.

I'm more than happy to test Alpha versions and give CIG feedback and send bug reports, just like I'm doing for Egosoft with X4: Foundations Linux Beta -version. Along with X4: Foundations Linux -version, Star Citizen Alpha 3.5 is easily one of the most important and interesting game release for me this year.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 2. Mar 19, 11:47

segmentationfault wrote:
I would like to see this kind of content happening with all games; Cyberpunk 2077, Beyond & Evil 2, Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord, etc. It was great that Egosoft had some streams during X4 development. I would like to see more of them.
One thing that Paradox Interactive have had for years - great engagement, and video dev diaries regularly to demonstrate new features/planned stuff. However, it always takes a time to get to the point whereby anyone can do that... as everything needs to be designed to start and have something to show for it.

As for people beta/alpha testing, they can if they want. The whole reason I haven't downloaded and joined in is simply because I don't want the game to be released and go "yeah, already played this for 1000 hours so not a biggie". I want the "oh shiny new awesome" feeling. One day anyway :D

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 2. Mar 19, 18:47

There's a problem with all this "Early Access" and "In Development Participation" and "Beta Access" that's hitting pretty hard, these days.

Games with developers that do "deep interaction" with their current captive "Beta" audience are getting hammered on the game's release. Their games are being judged not by what they have in them but what they don't have in them according to players who "were there when we were in Beta" or who participated in the very long, sometimes lasting years, "Early Access" period.

They are told "your input matters" and "you will help us develop this game" and "you will be part of the team."

But, then when the game gets released... "there are no darn toilets on any of the spaceships like I wanted and there isn't any way I can take over a planet so I can light it on fire by burning the corpses of children and puppies and WTF THEY NEVER LISTENED TO US!" (Actual quotes from Disenfranchised_and_Angsty_Gamer_087)

Some development houses are shooting themselves in the foot with their "Early Access" and otherwise "Beta Test" fans. They're just not handling their communities right. They're "selling" being a member of an "exclusive club" of gamers that actually get to be "part of the development team" and are told that they will have "input into how the game is designed."

Anyone here ever hired anyone for a professional position by going outside the front-door of the office and screaming as loud as they can until someone showed up?

And, when they're in development and interacting with these gamers, they're not always explaining things to them in the right way. They've got a roadmap and a list of intended features, but they often "pad the list" and dump things in there to make the game sound like it's going to be better than sex.

And, when they say "we might do this?" You know what they're really saying? They're saying "we might stop by the ice-cream shop, later." Maybe they just feel bad or want to keep their "audience" or "customers" happy during development. Maybe they're really considering it?

BUT, woe unto the parent that tells their child that they "might stop by the ice-cream shop, later" and then doesn't do so.

How in the world can they not have learned that lesson? These aren't "Development Team Members", by and large - They're players. They are customers who've purchased a product. The product they've bought is half-game, half-make-me-feel-like-I-belong-to-something-special-and-that-I-matter.

And, on release day, the devs get exactly what they've been trying to get the entire period of "Early Access" - A bunch of extremely vocal and angry people that are outraged there aren't any toilets on the spaceships and no burning puppies roasting on the surfaces of ruined worlds...

Just a note: I have officially, and unpaid, participated in at least a dozen "Beta" programs. The ones that require feedback. The ones that have "Teams." The ones that have feedback and bug reporting "built in" and actually have meaningful participation in special forums. These days? I wouldn't set foot in any Early Access or Beta program with any expectations other than just getting to play around with a game that looked interesting. But, I'm a curmudgeonly old fart and already have my bleary-eyed Beta Tester wounds and ribbons. Ain't gonna do it in today's Internetz. No sir.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Sun, 3. Mar 19, 13:28

Chips wrote:
Sat, 2. Mar 19, 11:47
One thing that Paradox Interactive have had for years - great engagement, and video dev diaries regularly to demonstrate new features/planned stuff. However, it always takes a time to get to the point whereby anyone can do that... as everything needs to be designed to start and have something to show for it.
Paradox is doing "Features Breakdown" and blog posts but I don't remember them doing as detailed work and as early in development as CIG is doing. Additionally, CIG is releasing lots of material weekly. Many indie projects are keeping developer diaries which very interesting and great for players.

I love PDS's games.
Chips wrote:
Sat, 2. Mar 19, 11:47
As for people beta/alpha testing, they can if they want. The whole reason I haven't downloaded and joined in is simply because I don't want the game to be released and go "yeah, already played this for 1000 hours so not a biggie". I want the "oh shiny new awesome" feeling. One day anyway :D
Yeah, I do the same expect with Star Citizen and X-series. I really like to follow how SC progress and because of their great developer <-> community interaction.

Alpha 3.5 (Flight Model) is now in Evocati testing. I expect it to go PTU in couple of weeks. Latest RtV episode started lots of discussion and some changes are already in the works, thanks to community's feedback.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 6. May 19, 18:14

Sorry to lift the dust on this but I'm curious to read anyone's take on the latest Forbes article about the financial issues of Star Citizen. Personally I must admit to some schadenfreude as this was announced as the ultimate game and some people seem to have put thousands of moneys (as Mork would say) into it to only see it all go up in smoke and CR not being the Messiah of gaming as claimed.

Its still fascinating to see the paradox (not the dev/publisher) of one hand people being cheep and wanting prices to stay or even go down and the other of people be willing to put large sums into a black hole.

MFG

Ketraar

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 6. May 19, 18:45

Not read it yet but here's a link:-

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/ ... y-to-play/
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 6. May 19, 22:35

RegisterMe wrote:
Mon, 6. May 19, 18:45
Not read it yet but here's a link:- https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/ ... y-to-play/
I read the article. It didn't change my view that for supporters, development of this game has become a game in itself. For some, owning the latest starship, even if incomplete, produces a glow of pride and satisfaction. Some are dedicated space-sim fans, who feel that they are supporting the advancement of this genre. For many, it doesn't matter if the game is never "completed".

Personally, I think Roberts has bitten off more than he can chew, but I also think he has helped explore the limits of what is possible with the technology we have. Is all that worth the money spent? Perhaps.

Return to “Off Topic English”