Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

segmentationfault

Re: Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Post by segmentationfault » Sun, 12. May 19, 20:10

Chips wrote:
Sun, 12. May 19, 17:26
The only reason you should worry about development time is:

1) Development costs money.
2) Someone has to pay for it.

If (2) stops, (1) will stop and no game. If there's sufficient money being made each year to pay the development, then there are no worries.
Well, this is something one can be worried about in case of pretty much any software project. I'm not personally worried about Star Citizen funding neither on other crowdfunded project I have supported. I'm glad Ubisoft has been supporting BG&E2 this long time and CDPR doesn't hurry too much with Cyberpunk 2077 either. It is great there are still developers who are able/and willing to give their project development time.

Techincal issues are much more interesting in my opinion; server side OCS, persistence, server meshing, etc.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 12. May 19, 21:06

Sorry, development time means to develop the game. Not necessarily developers per se, but the entire infrastructure and everything related. So all technical issues they may encounter included - and by the sounds of it, they've plenty of those too.

If you're not worried, you're not worried. I've no idea what criteria means "not worried". Personally, something that's 7 years at not alpha? But i've asked enough questions as to the man in charges actual competence. His more recent history (1999 onwards) being evidence to mean I am not holding my breath.

Whatever comes out of it, it'll be judged upon the quality and complexity of the release. If it's the game to end all games, then success regardless and I'll enjoy playing it. If it gets an absolute hammering, or is awful then...

Well, personally feel bad for anyone who sunk huge amounts of money in it - but personally, i'll be playing X.. whatever version it'll be by then :D I'm not *that* vested it in anymore.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Sun, 12. May 19, 21:33

Chips wrote:
Sun, 12. May 19, 21:06
Sorry, development time means to develop the game. Not necessarily developers per se, but the entire infrastructure and everything related. So all technical issues they may encounter included - and by the sounds of it, they've plenty of those too.
They started from very little and it sure took some time for them build up where they are at the moment. They went trough those big technical milestones in their CitizenCon 2948 - Road to Release presentation. There are some big technical hurdles to solve.
Chips wrote:
If you're not worried, you're not worried. I've no idea what criteria means "not worried". Personally, something that's 7 years at not alpha? But i've asked enough questions as to the man in charges actual competence. His more recent history (1999 onwards) being evidence to mean I am not holding my breath.
As long as they are able to make alpha releases and progress as shown in their roadmaps I consider myself "not worried". Things has went well so far.
Chips wrote:
Whatever comes out of it, it'll be judged upon the quality and complexity of the release. If it's the game to end all games, then success regardless and I'll enjoy playing it. If it gets an absolute hammering, or is awful then...

Well, personally feel bad for anyone who sunk huge amounts of money in it - but personally, i'll be playing X.. whatever version it'll be by then :D I'm not *that* vested it in anymore.
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how things goes. Quite a few website has already called them as scam (PC Gamer, etc.) so it is hard to say how objective and honest their review will be in the end. Same with the many people.

I'm enjoying multiple of space games at the moment X4 being one of them. Still, Star Citizen is something different which doesn't have alternative available at the moment so I very much would like it to be success. I'm not worried over my $45 pledge.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Sun, 12. May 19, 22:41

Tamina wrote:
Sun, 12. May 19, 18:20
And in the case of Star Citizen (2) happens because of (1) (development in general). It's a self propelled money machine that is going to reach a limit eventually, linear and not exponential like in the usual pyramid schemes but still hopefully after the development cycle ends.
As he sold off 10% of the company at the beginning of the year, I'd say he's feeling the financial pinch already.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 13. May 19, 18:21

segmentationfault wrote:
Sun, 12. May 19, 21:33
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how things goes. Quite a few website has already called them as scam (PC Gamer, etc.) so it is hard to say how objective and honest their review will be in the end. Same with the many people.
They're sceptical because of the length of time without release and without a mooted release date. But above all, it generates clicks and content. I doubt they actually care beyond getting said clicks - and if it goes belly up they'll brush down their creds as having reported on it.

I think most of those articles are pretty much rehashes of each other.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Mon, 13. May 19, 19:09

Chips wrote:
Mon, 13. May 19, 18:21
They're sceptical because of the length of time without release and without a mooted release date. But above all, it generates clicks and content. I doubt they actually care beyond getting said clicks - and if it goes belly up they'll brush down their creds as having reported on it.
Nothing wrong being sceptical or being critical but calling a project scam is just unprofessional. Unfortunately PC Gamer considers reddit users as reliable sources so I guess the bar is not set too high.
Chips wrote:
Mon, 13. May 19, 18:21
I think most of those articles are pretty much rehashes of each other.
The Forbes story mentioned earlier is one example. It seems some other sites covered that story as it is without giving much their own thoughts about it. I would have them to at least questoning where all the "facts" came from. Since there were no sources, they were just made up I guess.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 13. May 19, 20:47

@segmentationfault,

I maybe missed it, but did you say you've donated to the project?
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Mon, 13. May 19, 20:52

fiksal wrote:
Mon, 13. May 19, 20:47
@segmentationfault,

I supported the project with $45 pledge (if I rermember right - could be less). I have enjoyed the project enough to give it a test some hundreds of hours. If things gets improved as they have been so far I'll keep testing it.

Have you supported the project?

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 13. May 19, 22:07

segmentationfault wrote:
Mon, 13. May 19, 20:52
fiksal wrote:
Mon, 13. May 19, 20:47
@segmentationfault,

I supported the project with $45 pledge (if I rermember right - could be less). I have enjoyed the project enough to give it a test some hundreds of hours. If things gets improved as they have been so far I'll keep testing it.

Have you supported the project?
Gotcha.

Nope, I've been mostly watching from side lines. Are any of the Alphas/Betas free to try at this point?
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Tue, 14. May 19, 05:28

fiksal wrote:
Mon, 13. May 19, 22:07
Gotcha.

Nope, I've been mostly watching from side lines. Are any of the Alphas/Betas free to try at this point?
Not at the moment. Star Citizen PU can be tested few times in year usually after a new alpha release. Squadron 42 is unfortunately developed behind the curtains so testing it is not possible.

Testing alpha versions during "Free flight" times and by reading monthly development reports is a good way to follow the project. I don't recommend supporting the project financially.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Wed, 6. Nov 19, 15:13

So, CitizenCon 2949 is about two weeks away and I'm wondering if anyone here is going there? This year it is kept in Manchester, England.

For me personally this is the most interesting game event in a year and at least according to convention's schedule and rumours this year is not going to be disappointing either. Still, I'm not able to or be interested enough to attend.

It looks like Alpha 3.8 will get lots of FPS and melee improvements. The improvements seems to bring at least sneaking and medic gameplay which sounds both very interesting; jail break, medic capabilities in ships, etc.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 6. Nov 19, 15:22

I had completely forgotten about this game until I got this notifications. Is it still a thing? (not that I really care one way or another tbh)

MFG

Ketraar

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Wed, 6. Nov 19, 15:39

Ketraar wrote:
Wed, 6. Nov 19, 15:22
I had completely forgotten about this game until I got this notifications. Is it still a thing? (not that I really care one way or another tbh)
Well, the project is going forward well and it has a strong support, so I guess it is still a thing. PU Alpha 3.7 was released recently and Alpha 3.8 will be released before end of the year. Most likely there will be yet another "free fly" session so anyone can give a try and see if they are interested.

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Tue, 12. Nov 19, 19:52

well i love that name or is it irony
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 12. Nov 19, 20:27

Nah, the project was newish 7 years ago when this thread started. :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Wed, 13. Nov 19, 00:30

I wonder how many new JPEGs that you can buy will be announced this year.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Wed, 13. Nov 19, 17:18

Tycow wrote:
Wed, 13. Nov 19, 00:30
I wonder how many new JPEGs that you can buy will be announced this year.
Isn't that interesting only to people who wants to pledge to a project? I guess everyone else rather rent or buy ships in game.

I didn't find any up-to-date list of flyable ships but they are steadily turning concepts to ships in game.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Fri, 15. Nov 19, 17:33

The latest episode of ISC actually shows how they are working on a ship ( Prowler ) and tools they are using. It is always interesting to hear what kind of tools the developers are using and about people develop them.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 16. Nov 19, 23:14

It is indeed interesting. It's also simply trying to keep putting something out to prove work is ongoing, information to keep them interested. If people lose interest (especially if it still needs more funds), then it dies.

It's nearing 2020.
I started this thread in 2012.

I applaud those who spend 8 years reading with interest every thing and remain interested and enthusiastic.

Meanwhile, I've entered an entirely different decade of my life and I don't game like I used to. I only want to hear/read about SC when it's released - and whether I play it or not remains to be seen.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 17. Nov 19, 03:52

segmentationfault wrote:
Fri, 15. Nov 19, 17:33
The latest episode of ISC actually shows how they are working on a ship ( Prowler ) and tools they are using. It is always interesting to hear what kind of tools the developers are using and about people develop them.
I just got to say that comment is totally absurd, not you making the comment, but that the game has been in development for 7 years since the crowdfunding campaign started, plus as far as I remember the game had been in development for two years before that, so that's roughly 9 years so far. The absurd part is they are still working on ships for the game, even after all that time. The last I heard they had only worked on a single system and even that was not finished, and that was not that long ago, especially considering 9 years development.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Return to “Off Topic English”