Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Chips
x4

Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Post by Chips » Mon, 10. Sep 12, 20:55

So, for all those fans of space sims - but especially those who may have enjoyed titles such as Wing Commander and (my favourite) Freelancer... good news! I should have posted this several days ago when there was just a timer - but I didn't know what it'd reveal and so didn't want to start making posts. But now the timer has gone!

http://robertsspaceindustries.com/start/

If you can work with Binary - just enter it's value... or enter an answer and get a ? prompt which should help out :D
Welcome!

If you’ve made it here, you probably know who I am. Maybe you have heard of Wing Commander and its sequels, or perhaps Strike Commander, Privateer or Freelancer.

If not, you’re still welcome!

I grew up making video games. I sold my first game at the age of 13 and created Wing Commander when I was 21. But 10 years ago, at the height of my career I took a break. Not because I stopped loving or playing games but because I had become frustrated with the limits of the technology at the time to realize my vision.

I decided to pursue my desire to create detailed worlds and tell sophisticated stories in film.

I always said the moment I became interested in making games again was when I was going to come back.

With the power of today’s computers and the reach of the internet I finally feel I have the tools to build the connected experience that I always dreamed of. A world that would be more satisfying and richer than any film I could work on.

With films you tell stories but with games you create worlds.

If you’ve played my games, you’ll know that’s what I love to do.

I’m here to tell you that I have been working on something for just under a year, something that embraces everything that my past games stood for but takes it to the next level.

I hope you’ll be as excited by it as I am.

My new endeavor is still in its early stages but I invite you to take the journey with me.

If you register below you’ll become an insider that will not only give you early access to the game’s website and forums, but you will also get the opportunity for rewards and privileges that no one else will get. It’s my way of showing how important your early involvement and support is.

The full announcement will be at 10am Eastern Standard Time (UTC -5) on the 10th day of the 10th month of this year.

My name is Chris Roberts.

And if you would indulge me I would like to create a world for you.
I am super excited :D

Hope other lovers of the Space Genre are similarly happy with this announcement :D I am sooo happy - i had to share :)

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Mon, 10. Sep 12, 21:10

With the power of today’s computers and the reach of the internet I finally feel I have the tools to build the connected experience that I always dreamed of
DANGER DANGER! This line just screams MMORPG.
In which case not interested. Thanks but no thanks.

On the other hand if it isn't Hopefully it might be something good.
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 10. Sep 12, 21:19

I learned binary last week, it's so nice to have a use for it just a week later. :D
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Mon, 10. Sep 12, 22:36

Interesting. I made an account, any idea what exactly is going on with this whole gold ticket thing?
Nyax wrote:
With the power of today’s computers and the reach of the internet I finally feel I have the tools to build the connected experience that I always dreamed of
DANGER DANGER! This line just screams MMORPG.
In which case not interested. Thanks but no thanks.

On the other hand if it isn't Hopefully it might be something good.
Your not going to wait and see what's in the game? I don't get why you would blow off an entire game just because it may belong to the MMO genre. I don't get that at all...
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Mon, 10. Sep 12, 23:06

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:Your not going to wait and see what's in the game? I don't get why you would blow off an entire game just because it may belong to the MMO genre. I don't get that at all...
Um, because he doesn't like the MMO experience? Some people (me included) are not in the least bit interested in dealing with random abusive/cheating people or the general type of gameplay which seems necessary to get anywhere in an MMO game.

You may see them differently, and/or experience them differently, and that's fine. This sounds like it might be a great game for you.

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Mon, 10. Sep 12, 23:22

Oh man I have hoped He would return.

If its MMO I will take a Look,but here is to hoping its some kind of super lan Multiplayer type setup.
He did say something about feed back so maybe mkost will beg off the MMO and go for a lan type game

RedEclipse
x4

Post by RedEclipse » Tue, 11. Sep 12, 00:34

I hope it's not an mmo. Anyway at least some competition, that's sound very good for the future...

Please somebody wakes up Braben aswell and ex-Volition (makers of Freespace) :D
"AaaAaaAah ! They're everywhere...", Jane Doe, Freedom Force.

bobxii
x3tc

Post by bobxii » Tue, 11. Sep 12, 01:15

I wouldn't mind a kind of hybrid setup - don't really care for the economy of an MMO, but the player presence and social atmosphere is very much desirable.

The_Mess
x3tc

Post by The_Mess » Tue, 11. Sep 12, 06:42

If ends up like Freelancer's online set up that's fine. i.e. single player, with optional online PVP systems.

And I suspect Robert's will borrow from the stuff the modding community did with Freelancer vs PVP, with guilds, clans + private stations and as many players as the hardware can support ;)

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: Chris Roberts new project...

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 11. Sep 12, 07:49

<<--- Professional Idiot.

:)

Sorry, I goofed up and edited this post by accident. :/
Last edited by Morkonan on Thu, 16. Oct 14, 10:11, edited 2 times in total.

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Tue, 11. Sep 12, 10:48

Never liked any of his games. In my eyes he's overrated.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Rabiator der II.
x3ap

Post by Rabiator der II. » Tue, 11. Sep 12, 10:59

eladan wrote:
Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:Your not going to wait and see what's in the game? I don't get why you would blow off an entire game just because it may belong to the MMO genre. I don't get that at all...
Um, because he doesn't like the MMO experience? Some people (me included) are not in the least bit interested in dealing with random abusive/cheating people or the general type of gameplay which seems necessary to get anywhere in an MMO game.

You may see them differently, and/or experience them differently, and that's fine. This sounds like it might be a great game for you.
A much bigger problem seems to be that he's just starting.

If we're lucky, there might be a game five years from now. If Mr. Roberts manages to find some funding :wink:

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Tue, 11. Sep 12, 11:22

No, he is talking about 24 months
[ external image ]

More Infos about Roberts plans in this article .

About money:
I think CR could find some money with the new crowdfunding possibilities of the internet. WC-players (and Freelancer vets also) are 20 or 10 years older, have better jobs, more money, and good memories of the 'good old times' => cash opportunity.

EDIT:
Found this on the new site (Time Capsule-tag)
Dr. Scott Childress and his team had completed the first self-sustaining quantum drive engine, capable of achieving 1/100th the speed of light. For the first time, humanity could explore the solar system with unprecedented speed.

bhxob
x4

Post by bhxob » Tue, 11. Sep 12, 21:57

I got my golden ticket yesterday, and started reading around.

The MMO vibes were so strong that I'm already put off. If it is a MMO then it is a non-starter for me.

Nothing against MMOs, it's just not what I'm looking for in a game. I don't like monthly payments, and I want to be able to come back to a good game after a long break without re-upping on a subscription, or feeling like the universe has moved on to another game while I was away.

Just not what I'm looking for.

bluenog143
x3tc

Post by bluenog143 » Wed, 12. Sep 12, 05:17

Yeah I don't like MMO's either, they just aren't personal enough and can't be modded either (among many more reasons).
SinisterDeath wrote:This reminds me of something...

"I don't believe in GoD, but GoD sure believes in blowing up my factories."
Dark_Ansem wrote:Seeing your creation in-game and working makes one feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 15. Sep 12, 14:20

We are talking about the god of space sims here... the single most famous producer of space games ever. He did not invent the genre, but he perfected it, and he developed several of the all-time best games.

So it is a safe bet that Chris Roberts will not do something stupid like make yet another MMO.

It is also a safe bet that money is no problem; and that the best developers in the industry would love to work with him (again).

I'm psyched. :)

Lion Around
x3tc

Post by Lion Around » Sat, 15. Sep 12, 18:32

DrBullwinkle wrote:We are talking about the god of space sims here... the single most famous producer of space games ever. He did not invent the genre, but he perfected it, and he developed several of the all-time best games.

So it is a safe bet that Chris Roberts will not do something stupid like make yet another MMO.

It is also a safe bet that money is no problem; and that the best developers in the industry would love to work with him (again).

I'm psyched. :)
Define "all-time best games." Cuz I don't recall any games from Roberts being all that fantastic. The best game he made imo was Freelancer, and that was far from a complete game. Hell, Roberts quit before Freelancer was even finished, so he can't even finish what he started.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 15. Sep 12, 18:55

In the forum over there, people get seriously hostile about the thing they don't know what it is.
Totally awesome.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Sun, 16. Sep 12, 10:03

Will wait and see.. I am however among the crowd who isn't excited on the prospect the end product being an MMOG.

I enjoyed the betas of UO and Everquest, then sunk some 8yrs of subscription into UO with the last couple/few being soley on the basis of my silly attachment to the very old, rare and other virtual stuff I'd aquired.

Tried EVE <cough> some 6 years ago roughly, and have despite initially shying away, telling myself to drop it, I signed up after the trial period.. Same boat now. Past couple years at least have been paying and queueing skills only. EVE reportedly at least doesn't just vaporize your stuff if I quit paying. One of the twists that got me to roll over IIRC. ;)

My hindsight was good but I let myself rationalize it because of others I know seemed to make it better and wanted to play.

I -really- do not want myself wrapped up into a MMOG a third time. They tend to hook me on the play money in exchaneg for real money gig pretty good down the road, and I regret it in the end.

There are games for solo play and games for social play on and off the computer, and a time for each. I have concluded that I would rather play social games exclusively with and in the presence of people, live and in color with all my senses being useful. Not using a computer.

Exceptions include competative action/arcade type games like the FPS or RTS genre. ;) But I don't think they really fall into a MMOG or 'social' thing..

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 17. Sep 12, 17:20

donzi wrote:..I enjoyed the betas of UO and Everquest, then sunk some 8yrs of subscription into UO with the last couple/few being soley on the basis of my silly attachment to the very old, rare and other virtual stuff I'd aquired....

I -really- do not want myself wrapped up into a MMOG a third time. They tend to hook me on the play money in exchaneg for real money gig pretty good down the road, and I regret it in the end...
I just loaded up the old Everquest, since it is now free-to-play. And, I got my old account up and running and still have all my old characters and equipment from years ago... Wow, that sure was a trip through the time machine, loading up EQ and finding my 63 Cleric in Plane of Knowledge, where I last logged him out, years and years ago. And, with all his gear still equipped and his bags everfull with stuff I never found the time to vendor off.

Anyway, I love MMOs and I also get fired up about them, but moreso for the time with RL frends I would get to share, rather than the game itself. As more RL friends have less time, just like myself, I find my enthusiasm for them wanes a bit.

Return to “Off Topic English”