Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

felter
xr

Re: Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Post by felter » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 17:29

segmentationfault wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 16:05
Evocati testers has been testing a3.3 and a3.3+OCS versions about a week now but hopefully wave 1 PTU is not too far away.

That was another scam by Roberts, I was supposed to get both Alpha and Beta access to the game as part of my crowdfunding pledge I made but they took that away from me. along with everyone else who made that pledge for that access and gave it to everyone in a PTU, and a few with the title of Evocati. I'm actually surprised the game is still going, it is taking far to long to develop. X4 was started after it and is going to be released long before Star (scam) Citizen is going to be released. Hell, ED was started after it, been released for years and is about to have a major update, but still no sign for Star (scam) Citizen.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 17:43

felter wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 17:29
That was another scam by Roberts, I was supposed to get both Alpha and Beta access to the game as part of my crowdfunding pledge I made but they took that away from me. along with everyone else who made that pledge for that access and gave it to everyone in a PTU, and a few with the title of Evocati. I'm actually surprised the game is still going, it is taking far to long to develop. X4 was started after it and is going to be released long before Star (scam) Citizen is going to be released. Hell, ED was started after it, been released for years and is about to have a major update, but still no sign for Star (scam) Citizen.
I'm not sure if I understood right but eveyone who are able to fly a ship in a game has Alpha and Beta access. You are not able to test Alpha 3.2 either? Anyone can also become a member of Evocati testers just by testing the game.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 18:15

A good reminder that it's > 6 years since I made this thread, and he claimed a year development prior to that - 7 years, not bad!

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 18:21

I don't personally care how long time it will take to develop Star Citizen PU or Squadron 42 as long we are going to get a amazing game as it looks like it is going to be. I'm than happy to play E:D, X4 (and older ones), Helium Rain and many other space games along side of Star Citizen Alpha versions :). None of them is a replacement for Star Citizen and doesn't have to be. Space game fans have great times.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 18:33

You may not care about when it gets released, and in truth I could argue I do not - but that's simply because I've near lost interest. It's morphed from what was claimed it'd be into something else.

What I have increasingly found irritating over the years is the lack of adhering to promises from which people funded with money and, no other word for it, diabolical incompetent management.
Not. Even. An. Apology.

I'm sure it'll be amazing when (if) it gets released. It just may not be the amazing game I chucked my money towards, but some hybrid garbage that's jack of all master of none :D

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 19:02

Chips wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 18:33
You may not care about when it gets released, and in truth I could argue I do not - but that's simply because I've near lost interest. It's morphed from what was claimed it'd be into something else.
That's true, the game has grown a lot since Kickstarter times. Still, I'm pretty sure it has gained more new gamers than it has lost because of the scope change. The game which was originally planned (Squadron 42) is still there but it includes lots of other stuff as well. I also assume all disappointed people has refunded long time ago already.
Chips wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 18:33
What I have increasingly found irritating over the years is the lack of adhering to promises from which people funded with money and, no other word for it, diabolical incompetent management.
Not. Even. An. Apology.
They are adding new features in all releases. OCS is insanely important feature and without it the project is not be possible. They are not able to add new stuff without it anymore, so in that sense the current a3.3+OCS patch is the most important patch so far. OCS should one of last huge features (if not last) which are absolutely required.

Which features and promises to get fulfilled are you waiting most?

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 21:16

segmentationfault wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 19:02
They are adding new features in all releases. OCS is insanely important feature and without it the project is not be possible. They are not able to add new stuff without it anymore, so in that sense the current a3.3+OCS patch is the most important patch so far. OCS should one of last huge features (if not last) which are absolutely required
What is OCS?
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 21:30

Santi wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 21:16
What is OCS?
Object Container Streaming. It is a key technology so CIG can start to add stuff like planets or pretty much any kind of objects. OCS patch includes Hurston and some new moons. Hopefully in CitizenCon they will show some more planets, progress of ArcCorp, etc.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 22:10

I couldn't care any less about all that. Give me single-player Squadron 42 for 50 dollars or so and I'll see what I think. I'm not interested in endlessly opening my wallet for any game - real or not. In the meantime, all things Star Citizen are pure hyperbole scam in my world.

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 22:21

segmentationfault wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 16:05
Anyone here going to CitizenCon next week?
Unfortunately, I cannot join this year. But I bought the official streaming pass (for only $20), the high quality upgrade (for $10) and the stream early pass (for $5; lets you check-in a little earlier than the rest). I also bought 5 of the exclusive CitizenCon sticker packs. (These are limited to only a 5,000 pieces; cost about $1.99 each. I think this is a fair price.) I also heard about a summary video deal, where you get a summary of the most important points of the presentations, i.e. you do not have to watch the whole 10 or what hours it usually takes to learn about the really interesting stuff. Unfortunately, the support hasn't answered my requests yet.
@segmentationfault, would you please ask your guys at the office, whether they received my messages? What's the request quota for backers again? Maybe I sent too many messages this month? I haven’t found an option to increase this, though.
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 17:34

CitizenCon

Have no words, I thought that The Q was for real. Like, that right there is a proper supporter of Star Citizen, sinking hundreds of dollars for intangible goods.
But who is for real is Star Citizen charging $20 in order for people to get access to the stream of the event. They actually tried to do that.

Nicely done The Q.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 17:58

I wouldn't have minded to have professional level HD streams from all presentations but it is fine to have amateur versions in YouTube as well.

Any expectations for CitizenCon?

In keynote I hope we would see impressive gameplay, new planets, Kraken and people having good time.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 18:38

segmentationfault wrote:
That's true, the game has grown a lot since Kickstarter times. Still, I'm pretty sure it has gained more new gamers than it has lost because of the scope change. The game which was originally planned (Squadron 42) is still there but it includes lots of other stuff as well. I also assume all disappointed people has refunded long time ago already.
Oh they've definitely grown a lot - and continue to do so.
segmentationfault wrote:
Which features and promises to get fulfilled are you waiting most?
The features I wanted to see the most are the ones which started the entire thing - when it sounded like Freelancer 2 - and then released! ;) But the additions continued non stop, delaying it for... 5 years? And now you're mentioning they're doing something to be able to put planets into a space sim? Crikey :D

It was once the FPS element got announced that I switched off - it wasn't ever mentioned, don't remember anyone asking for it, and fairly sure most gamers of the genre care not for shoehorning FPS into a space game simulator! At that point it was "wait and see", but when people come around saying it's awesome I have to say "no, it isn't... not until it is released - until then it's just imaginary".

The only reason I attack Chris Roberts management abilities is his history. Freelancer was years overdue, way below what was promised, and would have been scrapped if not for the Microsoft buyout of the development studio (Digital Anvil). It wasn't his first project to be years late either. The guy has history of doing this and still does not seem to realise it and get a grip. But instead of investors who know when to say "no, we need proof this is going to happen" he's got people willing to keep pushing money his way for "things". On one hand, great, he can develop until it's done as he wants it. On the other hand... you're in this very situation. Half a decade late, and given current situation, half a decade to go.

I haven't asked for a refund, and won't either. But lets keep perspective upon what is happening. No-one involved with the project should be happy with the lack of control of it :D Having said all that, if there is some form of "highlights" (that's under 20 minutes) from the citizen con, then i'll watch it to find out what's happened in the last few years! (and no, i'd never go to those things - it's a game that's not even released, not a life choice).

p.s. Would love to know what the cash reserves are for the company - for example, in the event of suddenly no-one buying any more memberships/sponsorship etc - how long before it goes under? Is it a well costed and managed with the money received so far, holding good reserves that can maintain it for 2-3 more years? or is it like 6 months tops...

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 18:51

Chips wrote:
Thu, 4. Oct 18, 18:38
Oh they've definitely grown a lot - and continue to do so.
Yeah, in a sense that there's plenty of things to do. We don't know yet exactly what they consider as minimum viable product for a release.
Chips wrote:
The features I wanted to see the most are the ones which started the entire thing - when it sounded like Freelancer 2 - and then released! ;) But the additions continued non stop, delaying it for... 5 years? And now you're mentioning they're doing something to be able to put planets into a space sim? Crikey :D
OCS would be required even without planets. Some ship internals are size of multiple Battlefield maps, filled with NPCs, players, items to use, ship components, etc. so there will be tons of stuff to stream in ships alone.
Chips wrote:
It was once the FPS element got announced that I switched off - it wasn't ever mentioned, don't remember anyone asking for it, and fairly sure most gamers of the genre care not for shoehorning FPS into a space game simulator! At that point it was "wait and see", but when people come around saying it's awesome I have to say "no, it isn't... not until it is released - until then it's just imaginary".
I find it an excellent addition to game. It adds tons of gameplay in multiple of different ways. Of course not everyone likes FPS in the first place so at least in PU they could avoid it and just concentrate fly ships, trading, mining, salvaging, etc.
Chips wrote:
The only reason I attack Chris Roberts management abilities is his history. Freelancer was years overdue, way below what was promised, and would have been scrapped if not for the Microsoft buyout of the development studio (Digital Anvil). It wasn't his first project to be years late either. The guy has history of doing this and still does not seem to realise it and get a grip. But instead of investors who know when to say "no, we need proof this is going to happen" he's got people willing to keep pushing money his way for "things". On one hand, great, he can develop until it's done as he wants it. On the other hand... you're in this very situation. Half a decade late, and given current situation, half a decade to go.

I haven't asked for a refund, and won't either. But lets keep perspective upon what is happening. No-one involved with the project should be happy with the lack of control of it :D
Criticism is essential and it is great that you and many others are able to do so in mature manner. Especially in their own website (Spectrum) it is very important that criticism is constructive so they are able to do something about it.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Fri, 5. Oct 18, 06:42

People who turned up later on defend it, people who were there at the start have the actual perspective to know how badly this is going. The money screwed him, if he had only got 10 million we would have got freelancer 2 but we have ended up with the current fk up (Tank anyone?), certainly I don't see a game coming out of this for another 3 years minimum and since signing up off the Wing Commander boards (ahhh offf topic) in 2011 and being told it will be done in 3 years that is quite some development cycle! I switched off couple of years ago, now the marketing crap that is constantly being pumped out just looks like a money grab.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Fri, 5. Oct 18, 07:41

If they would have done as planned originally the game would be ready "for sure" already. Many backers would have been most likely fine with Wing Commander type of game but looking the project now I feel like it was definitely a right choice to go with much more ambitious plan. There are many smaller and great looking projects in development (Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw, Starfighter Inc., etc.) but not enormous games like Star Citizen. In my opinion it is good to have smaller and enormous space games to play. Star Citizen seems to have big support and lots of backers are enjoying alpha versions already and things gets just better and better.

According to latest news OCS build is now good condition enough, so they are able to release Alpha 3.3 with OCS.

If someone is interested to read what CIG was working on in September can now read it from monthly report: September 2018

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 5. Oct 18, 08:45

segmentationfault wrote:
Fri, 5. Oct 18, 07:41
If they would have done as planned originally the game would be ready "for sure" already.
The estimated delivery date for the game on the original Kickstarter was November 2014. We're nearly four years past that date and still no sign of it. I don't care how much extra crap he's added to it that has caused this delay, it's still unacceptable for it to have been delayed so long--especially when the extra crap in question was never mentioned in the original Kickstarter. What he *should* have done is delivered what was promised as near to on time as possible, and then started iterating to add all this extra stuff--e.g. exactly what Elite: Dangerous did!

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Fri, 5. Oct 18, 09:01

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 5. Oct 18, 08:45
The estimated delivery date for the game on the original Kickstarter was November 2014. We're nearly four years past that date and still no sign of it. I don't care how much extra crap he's added to it that has caused this delay, it's still unacceptable for it to have been delayed so long--especially when the extra crap in question was never mentioned in the original Kickstarter. What he *should* have done is delivered what was promised as near to on time as possible, and then started iterating to add all this extra stuff--e.g. exactly what Elite: Dangerous did!
I'm sure there are many backers who feels the same but personally I'm not convinced that it would have been better choice. I don't believe there would have been this much support and therefore CIG wouldn't have been able grown as big as it is now (>500 people and growing) which is required to be able to work on such a enormous project; Star Citizen MMO and single player campaign Squadron 42. Making the game which was originally planned would most likely still took at least 3 years to make but CIG wouldn't have got the engine or tools which is needed to make Star Citizen PU or what Squadron 42 is going to be today. Now we are going to get what was originally planned and a lot of more.
Well, unfortunately we will never know for sure how the project would have ended to be if they would have chose otherwise.

I'm happy how things are now since the project is progressing nicely and we will get incremental patches which are giving the current versions more and more depth and growing bigger and bigger.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 02:38

segmentationfault wrote:
Fri, 5. Oct 18, 09:01
pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 5. Oct 18, 08:45
The estimated delivery date for the game on the original Kickstarter was November 2014.
I'm sure there are many backers who feels the same but personally I'm not convinced that it would have been better choice.
It is no a matter of choice, it is a promise that if the product is funded, it will be delivered at a certain date that is set in your Kickstarter pledge, if you are over funded, it does not change the terms of your Kickstarter pledge.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 08:05

Santi wrote:
Sun, 7. Oct 18, 02:38
It is no a matter of choice, it is a promise that if the product is funded, it will be delivered at a certain date that is set in your Kickstarter pledge, if you are over funded, it does not change the terms of your Kickstarter pledge.
They did ask community how they should proceed and majority wanted more ambitious route. Since many stops following the process immediately after pledging a project in Kickstarter and most likely wasn't even aware of this poll it is probably better to call this 'a decision' instead of 'a choice'.

I guess this all worked out because CIG has kept contact with the community. They have released alpha versions to test, publish lots of material about development and a community is able to meet and talk with the developers face to face in CitizenCon, Bar Citizen, etc.

Return to “Off Topic English”