Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

segmentationfault

Re: Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Post by segmentationfault » Fri, 5. Oct 18, 07:41

If they would have done as planned originally the game would be ready "for sure" already. Many backers would have been most likely fine with Wing Commander type of game but looking the project now I feel like it was definitely a right choice to go with much more ambitious plan. There are many smaller and great looking projects in development (Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw, Starfighter Inc., etc.) but not enormous games like Star Citizen. In my opinion it is good to have smaller and enormous space games to play. Star Citizen seems to have big support and lots of backers are enjoying alpha versions already and things gets just better and better.

According to latest news OCS build is now good condition enough, so they are able to release Alpha 3.3 with OCS.

If someone is interested to read what CIG was working on in September can now read it from monthly report: September 2018

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 5. Oct 18, 08:45

segmentationfault wrote:
Fri, 5. Oct 18, 07:41
If they would have done as planned originally the game would be ready "for sure" already.
The estimated delivery date for the game on the original Kickstarter was November 2014. We're nearly four years past that date and still no sign of it. I don't care how much extra crap he's added to it that has caused this delay, it's still unacceptable for it to have been delayed so long--especially when the extra crap in question was never mentioned in the original Kickstarter. What he *should* have done is delivered what was promised as near to on time as possible, and then started iterating to add all this extra stuff--e.g. exactly what Elite: Dangerous did!

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Fri, 5. Oct 18, 09:01

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 5. Oct 18, 08:45
The estimated delivery date for the game on the original Kickstarter was November 2014. We're nearly four years past that date and still no sign of it. I don't care how much extra crap he's added to it that has caused this delay, it's still unacceptable for it to have been delayed so long--especially when the extra crap in question was never mentioned in the original Kickstarter. What he *should* have done is delivered what was promised as near to on time as possible, and then started iterating to add all this extra stuff--e.g. exactly what Elite: Dangerous did!
I'm sure there are many backers who feels the same but personally I'm not convinced that it would have been better choice. I don't believe there would have been this much support and therefore CIG wouldn't have been able grown as big as it is now (>500 people and growing) which is required to be able to work on such a enormous project; Star Citizen MMO and single player campaign Squadron 42. Making the game which was originally planned would most likely still took at least 3 years to make but CIG wouldn't have got the engine or tools which is needed to make Star Citizen PU or what Squadron 42 is going to be today. Now we are going to get what was originally planned and a lot of more.
Well, unfortunately we will never know for sure how the project would have ended to be if they would have chose otherwise.

I'm happy how things are now since the project is progressing nicely and we will get incremental patches which are giving the current versions more and more depth and growing bigger and bigger.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 02:38

segmentationfault wrote:
Fri, 5. Oct 18, 09:01
pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 5. Oct 18, 08:45
The estimated delivery date for the game on the original Kickstarter was November 2014.
I'm sure there are many backers who feels the same but personally I'm not convinced that it would have been better choice.
It is no a matter of choice, it is a promise that if the product is funded, it will be delivered at a certain date that is set in your Kickstarter pledge, if you are over funded, it does not change the terms of your Kickstarter pledge.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 08:05

Santi wrote:
Sun, 7. Oct 18, 02:38
It is no a matter of choice, it is a promise that if the product is funded, it will be delivered at a certain date that is set in your Kickstarter pledge, if you are over funded, it does not change the terms of your Kickstarter pledge.
They did ask community how they should proceed and majority wanted more ambitious route. Since many stops following the process immediately after pledging a project in Kickstarter and most likely wasn't even aware of this poll it is probably better to call this 'a decision' instead of 'a choice'.

I guess this all worked out because CIG has kept contact with the community. They have released alpha versions to test, publish lots of material about development and a community is able to meet and talk with the developers face to face in CitizenCon, Bar Citizen, etc.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 27. Jan 19, 03:18

I don't pay too much attention to what is happening with this game, as I have made it plainly clear what I think on it. But it has come to my attention that in the past month or so, Chris Roberts sold a 10% stake of the game and his company for $46 million, to a pair of billionaires (father and son) who have no experience in the making of computer games but are now on the executive board for star citizen. Now why has be done this, I mean if you look at the amount raised so far it comes to a massive $215,771,428, well out of that
$215,771,428 he has managed to spend 93% of it, and the game is still no where near completion, it was supposed to be released what was it 5 or 6 years ago. He has also announced the BETA yes that's BETA not the release of squadron 42, which will be in 2 years time. So that's what 8 years after it was meant to be released and we get the start of the BETA, OH but not just that he gave a road map and said there may be delays, so even 2 years is not guaranteed.

Tell me it's just a joke and everything is on the up and up with the game. :rant:
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 27. Jan 19, 05:30

I think Star Citizen is a fine example of someone having been given *too much* money and has thus gone entirely off the leash, adding feature after feature until they get to a point where it's impossible to make the whole thing work and they've run out of money. At the current rate this is going to be a bigger white elephant than Duke Nukem Forever was, and the resulting game will probably be about as good as what came out of that, too.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 1. Feb 19, 07:47

Star Citizen is just classic Roberts tbh - but amplified by being in control himself rather than answering to others.

Really do hope it blows all away, but if he's selling stakes (valuing the company at nearly half a billion according to that money if true?), even if only a minority one, in his dream project, it'd indicate that he's looking for some form of more traditional fiscal security. Is Kickstarter related funding slowing down? Are people buying less of the ships that get produced in advance? Or maybe the backers are just super keen enthusiasts? Otherwise, backers only go into something to make money... which is concerning to an extent. They'll expect to see a return :P

Is it really 2 years until Beta Squardon 42? Christ... I should go and read all this up instead of just trusting a post, but time is tight :D

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 1. Feb 19, 10:12

I feel the title of this topic doesnt really hold true much at this point, unless I read it ironically.

MFG

Ketraar

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 18:20

this game is never going to happen
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 20:08

It's kind of impressive that this thread lasted for 6 years and a half or something... :mrgreen:
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 21:17

Ezarkal wrote:
Tue, 5. Feb 19, 20:08
It's kind of impressive that this thread lasted for 6 years and a half or something... :mrgreen:
And, if the game gets cancelled? The thread would last another six years after the cancellation announcement. :)
Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Tue, 5. Feb 19, 18:20
I can not say you are wrong... :) That's sad.

Using cool memes, 'cause I'm cool like that and want to be hip like all the new kids...

"/REEEEEEEEEEEE"

^--- The Entire Game Community All Over The World EVAR! when cancellation is announced.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 08:22

Ezarkal wrote:
Tue, 5. Feb 19, 20:08
It's really kind of sad that it had to!

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 21:16

well i remember the wait for the game Team Fortress 2 the things that they promised and then look @ what they released :evil:
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 22:46

Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Tue, 5. Feb 19, 18:20

Yeah but at least Roberts got a nice new house and nice expensive cars from it, that's the main thing.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 7. Feb 19, 02:03

I wonder if the game end up dried of fun without a deliverable ... can it be considered some soft of Ponzi scheme? :sceptic:
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Sat, 23. Feb 19, 13:44

Mightysword wrote:
Thu, 7. Feb 19, 02:03
I wonder if the game end up dried of fun without a deliverable ... can it be considered some soft of Ponzi scheme? :sceptic:
Who knows, but at least for now it doesn't look like that. Year 2018 was best year for the project so far and the support seems to be stronger than ever. Looking their plans for quarterly releases, progress doesn't seem to slow down. It is going to be yet another amazing year for Star Citizen.

Once X4: Foundations will get a Linux-version I will finally give Star Citizen testing a rest for a while.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Sun, 24. Feb 19, 12:06

Amazing year, is that because the introduced dance moves or was it the emojis? NO NO the land buys or the Tanks! Must be when they cracked AI collision mechanics, the others have been using for years.

SC has not had a great year, it has continued development, continued feature creep over the feature creep and they are so short on funds they have had to sell 10% of the company for 40 million to drum up cash.

They should have perfected the 'bit in SPACE' first, released a game, the modern follow up to Wing Commander as promised to the people how gave them their first 20 million, so they could be here at all for the hype train crowd to jump on the band wagon.

As soon as we lost Wing Man's Nuts it all went sideways.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Sun, 24. Feb 19, 14:34

muppetts wrote:
Sun, 24. Feb 19, 12:06
SC has not had a great year, it has continued development, continued feature creep over the feature creep and they are so short on funds they have had to sell 10% of the company for 40 million to drum up cash.
They should have perfected the 'bit in SPACE' first, released a game, the modern follow up to Wing Commander as promised to the people how gave them their first 20 million, so they could be here at all for the hype train crowd to jump on the band wagon.
They made great progress and released four big releases with big milestones in 2018. Supporters were happy and showed their gratitude by testing release versions, giving them creative feedback and supported the project financially by pledging ships. I consider that as a amazing year for the project. I'm also happy that they decided to use funding to game development and not to the marketing.

Year 2019 looks very strong; lots of quality of life improvements from SQ42 along with many big features. I'm not personally as interested in new locations as many others are but looking forward for new tech and improvements to a core experience.

Well, I'm one of those who is happy that they are working much more than just a modern Wing Commander. Fortunately space game genre is doing strong so hopefully everyone will get a space game they like.

Return to “Off Topic English”