Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bishop149
x3

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 11. Feb 20, 11:44

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 11. Feb 20, 11:32
Modern society has made us uniquely ill-prepared for the only certainty in life, which is death. This is largely because we have become accustomed to being able avoid it, at least until we get to a ripe old age, but also probably has something to do with the fact that we are no longer comfortable with the mourning process, so it's become internalised and hidden away. The very last thing we need is something that interferes with that even more by allowing us to pretend that a death didn't happen. This has to be a case of, to quote Jurassic Park, "...scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."
Absolutely, there is a whole field of study on this one (Thanatology).
Modern society at some point decided that death was something to be distanced and hidden away, in stark contrast to most of human history where it was treated as a central and important part of everyday life.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 11. Feb 20, 11:57

It's the modern equivalent of a so-called 'medium' holding a seance around a table for grieving relatives. It's probably just as unhealthy in terms of actual comfort and resolution provided, and is probably born out of exactly the same commercial rather than caring reasons too.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 11. Feb 20, 20:39

In other news, the storm means good people are put at risk trying to rescue or locate the truly retarded.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... ough-waves
The crew of Hastings lifeboat were called out to a surfer who had gone missing during Storm Ciara.

The lifeboat itself struggled through the waves, at one point nearly capsizing.

The surfer was later found conscious by rescuers about six miles away from where he entered the water.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-51447226
Rescuers said four people helped from Ben Nevis were lucky to be alive.

They said the tourists who were caught in blizzard conditions had "no ice axes, no crampons and as far as we are aware, no maps". Three of them were wearing trainers.

Lochaber Mountain Rescue Team found them near the summit of the mountain.

All four were taken by helicopter from part-way down the mountain to be checked over at Belford Hospital in Fort William.

Inverness Coastguard helicopter, Rescue 151, could not be used near the summit because of the severity of the conditions.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales- ... ave-selfie
People were spotted "risking their lives" to take selfies on cliffs near Swansea.

Storm Ciara battered Wales over the weekend with strong winds and flooding.

Mumbles Coastguard cliff rescue team tweeted: "Whilst on patrol this afternoon we saw a few people risking their lives for a photo.

"This may seem like fun, but it just isn’t a good idea!

"It’s why we have highly trained Volunteer Coastguard Teams and Lifeboat Crew on call 24/7 ready to risk their lives to come and get you."
With the last one, if they'd been swept off by a big wave, they'd be dead against those rocks. The lifeboat would still try to recover them though...

Some people :rant:

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 24. Feb 20, 20:12

'Mad Mike' Hughes, daredevil who built a homemade steam rocket, dies in launch attempt

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/23/us/m ... -dead.html

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 24. Feb 20, 20:28

burger1 wrote:
Mon, 24. Feb 20, 20:12
'Mad Mike' Hughes, daredevil who built a homemade steam rocket, dies in launch attempt

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/23/us/m ... -dead.html
I saw that. Will anyone now prove that Earth is flat...
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 3. Apr 20, 18:45

Bafflingly odd if accurate

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-52151951
A Venezuelan navy coastal patrol boat sank in the Caribbean after allegedly ramming a cruise ship that it had ordered to change direction.

The owners of the Portuguese-flagged RCGS Resolute said the naval vessel Naiguata also fired shots in an "act of aggression in international waters”.

The collision left the cruise ship, which has a reinforced hull for sailing in icy waters, with only minor damage.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 3. Apr 20, 18:55

Chips wrote:
Fri, 3. Apr 20, 18:45
Bafflingly odd if accurate

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-52151951
A Venezuelan navy coastal patrol boat sank in the Caribbean after allegedly ramming a cruise ship that it had ordered to change direction.

The owners of the Portuguese-flagged RCGS Resolute said the naval vessel Naiguata also fired shots in an "act of aggression in international waters”.

The collision left the cruise ship, which has a reinforced hull for sailing in icy waters, with only minor damage.
It's been reportedy pretty widely yesterday, the BBC probably posted it now after verifying it so it's probably accurate.
I think it's pretty funny. :D
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 3. Apr 20, 19:19

Apparently, Bernie Eccleston, aged 89, is going to be a father again.

It's amazing what you can do with a splint and bit of duct tape. :|
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 3. Apr 20, 19:27

Gavrushka wrote:
Fri, 3. Apr 20, 19:19
You mean money, surely? Wait, marrying an 81 year old when 36 - such a cynic to think it's not for love :D

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 3. Apr 20, 19:42

Given the Covid emergency, why would Venezuala want a foreign cruise ship to dock in their country anyway, even if they really did somehow suspect it of involvement in illegal activities against their hierarchy? The fact that it was all so close to Tortuga, the historic home of piracy for the area, is ironic.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 3. Apr 20, 19:45

Chips wrote:
Fri, 3. Apr 20, 19:27
Gavrushka wrote:
Fri, 3. Apr 20, 19:19
You mean money, surely? Wait, marrying an 81 year old when 36 - such a cynic to think it's not for love :D
Yeah, money sure does alter your take on who you'll take to the altar.

I got an inkling of what filthy rich meant when Martin Brundle visited Bernie's home in South America, and Bernie showed Martin his coffee maker. It had its own room...
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 3. Apr 20, 19:47

Alan Phipps wrote:
Fri, 3. Apr 20, 19:42
Given the Covid emergency, why would Venezuala want a foreign cruise ship to dock in their country anyway, even if they really did somehow suspect it of involvement in illegal activities against their hierarchy? The fact that it was all so close to Tortuga, the historic home of piracy for the area, is ironic.
It's not carrying any passengers. My guesses for the reasons are (in semi-tinfoil hat manner):

- They want to hold the ship for ransom.
- They want to hold the crew for ransom.
- They want some distraction for the mass.

Ironically the first 2 points would be basically the government itself want to commit piracy.
Now they got nothing, and 1 sunk patrol boat. :D
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Fri, 3. Apr 20, 20:19

I would pay a fairly significant amount of money for a recording from the patrol ship about when they realise that ramming an icebreaker may have been a bad idea.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 3. Apr 20, 20:48

Mightysword wrote:
Fri, 3. Apr 20, 19:47
Ironically the first 2 points would be basically the government itself want to commit piracy.
Wasn't Elisabeth I's England suspected of similar activities?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 09:02

Alan Phipps wrote:
Fri, 3. Apr 20, 19:42
The fact that it was all so close to Tortuga, the historic home of piracy for the area, is ironic.
Different Tortuga. The piracy one is north of Hispaniola, whereas this one is La Tortuga Island, off the Venezuelan coast.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 14:04

Thanks for the clarification. So the piracy lair was in Haiti - but still not excessively far from Venezuala. Even with the incident being near the wrong location of that name, I still find that particular name's proximity rather ironic.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 14:56

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52164358
Mobile phone masts have been torched and engineers abused over "baseless" theories linking coronavirus to 5G.

UK mobile network providers have warned against the spread of the theories after videos showing masts on fire were posted on social media.

Masts were set alight in Sparkhill, Birmingham, on Thursday and Melling, Merseyside, on Friday.

Trade body Mobile UK, which represents network providers, said the false rumours and theories were "concerning".

In a statement on Twitter, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport said it was "aware of inaccurate information being shared online about 5G".

"There is absolutely no credible evidence of a link between 5G and coronavirus," it added.
I keep having to check dates to ensure it's not a late April Fools these stories are so idiotic.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 15:10

What is more scary is that these dimwits have the vote ..they have an impact on the governance of this country ..

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 21. Apr 20, 17:51

Oil fell below zero dollars per barrel. Meaning that they had an excess and no where to store it. I wonder if any one got paid to take the oil? I think it hit -$40 usd.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/business ... index.html

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 21. Apr 20, 18:08

Don't worry, as soon as end-user demand comes back up, prices for crude and at the pumps will skyrocket because everybody will no doubt want some at the same time.

Return to “Off Topic English”