Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 14:04

Thanks for the clarification. So the piracy lair was in Haiti - but still not excessively far from Venezuala. Even with the incident being near the wrong location of that name, I still find that particular name's proximity rather ironic.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 14:56

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52164358
Mobile phone masts have been torched and engineers abused over "baseless" theories linking coronavirus to 5G.

UK mobile network providers have warned against the spread of the theories after videos showing masts on fire were posted on social media.

Masts were set alight in Sparkhill, Birmingham, on Thursday and Melling, Merseyside, on Friday.

Trade body Mobile UK, which represents network providers, said the false rumours and theories were "concerning".

In a statement on Twitter, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport said it was "aware of inaccurate information being shared online about 5G".

"There is absolutely no credible evidence of a link between 5G and coronavirus," it added.
I keep having to check dates to ensure it's not a late April Fools these stories are so idiotic.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 15:10

What is more scary is that these dimwits have the vote ..they have an impact on the governance of this country ..

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 21. Apr 20, 17:51

Oil fell below zero dollars per barrel. Meaning that they had an excess and no where to store it. I wonder if any one got paid to take the oil? I think it hit -$40 usd.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/business ... index.html

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 21. Apr 20, 18:08

Don't worry, as soon as end-user demand comes back up, prices for crude and at the pumps will skyrocket because everybody will no doubt want some at the same time.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 22. Apr 20, 21:21

It appears Kier Starmer had a good day at the office (PMQ's).. Boris's feathers may have been ruffled in anticipation of future cross talk ... could make for some interesting politics as the country recovers from Covid, certainly more of a challenge than the last labour leader, now what was his name..?

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Thu, 7. May 20, 21:12

Fugitive caught after blowing his cover.
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-52577485
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 13. May 20, 17:20

Not really news but Nvidias rtx voice AI seems pretty neat. Basically it seems to remove background noises (loud whirring fans, banging on tables, children, etc...) and just focuses on a voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWUHkCgslNE&t=1s

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 13. May 20, 20:55

I wouldn't get too excited about it just yet. When one of our team tried it for a Skype call, it made them completely unintelligible and they had to switch it off to make themselves understood.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 13. May 20, 21:14

:idea: You should train that AI with pizza?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 14. May 20, 20:47

It looks like between amd cpus and nvidia 3000 series cards (4000 might soon follow 3000?) we might be getting a noticeable bump in computer performance this year.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 14. May 20, 21:58

" .. we might be getting a noticeable bump in computer performance this year .." I'm not sure who the 'we' there is meant to include. I think that rather depends on their general affordability. Still, if their arrival also drives down the prices of their close predecessors ...

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 15. May 20, 15:05

Alan Phipps wrote:
Thu, 14. May 20, 21:58
" .. we might be getting a noticeable bump in computer performance this year .." I'm not sure who the 'we' there is meant to include. I think that rather depends on their general affordability. Still, if their arrival also drives down the prices of their close predecessors ...
Yeah, I'd noticed there's an I9 10900X that launched at the end of last year, but I don't know if it's filtered through to system builders in any significant numbers yet. link. I don't know if there's another generation beyond this, but I'll be buying a new system in the Summer, and want it based on whatever is newest to the market, with the intention of keeping the core and upgrading the rest of it as new graphics cards and the like hit the market.

Is there something beyond the I9 family intel have in the offering?

*EDIT* - ah, there's an 'Ice Lake' coming this year, which is a step above the just-released Comet Lake.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 15. May 20, 16:24

The latest "Core X-series", like the i9-10900X, are based on Cascade Lake just like the "2nd Gen. Xeon Scalable", e.g. the Xeon Platinum 9282.
Comet Lakes, like i9-10900K, are "10th Gen. Core i9". link to generations
There are already some Ice Lake released, but only for the mobile.

However, at this point one should consider also the AMD options.

If one is looking for a "noticeable bump", then go for A100. If that won't bump your wallet ...

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 15. May 20, 17:12

Gavrushka wrote:
Fri, 15. May 20, 15:05
Is there something beyond the I9 family intel have in the offering?
Why are you so determined to get Intel and ignore the AMD offerings?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 15. May 20, 17:25

@pjknibbs - it's just familiarity. Ever since I bought my first PC, an Intel 486 SX2 50, I've had nothing but apart from one Athlon. - The Athlon was the only one that failed on me, so it's just personal experience. I'd not feel comfortable with anything different now.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Wed, 27. May 20, 08:00

OMFG i have just watched this clip https://twitter.com/melodyMcooper/statu ... h-11994974 i think it is shocking and her intentions are clear to get the police to come and do what they are good at killing black men all he did was ask her to keep her dog on the lead
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 27. May 20, 11:31

It's unbelievable how xenophoby in the 21st century is still so common.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 7. Jun 20, 19:03

Some Corsair Power supplies being recalled.

https://www.pcgamer.com/corsair-recalls ... -failures/

From above link:

Corsair's SF series models are compact units broken up into two high efficiency categories—80 Plus Gold models (600W and 450W) and 80 Plus Platinum models (750W, 450W, 600W). All of them are fully modular units.

The issue presumably affects all wattages, as Corsair doesn't exclude any models in its announcement. However, the company says the recall is limited to units manufactured between October 2019 and March 2020, with lot codes 194448xx to 201148xx.

To see if yours is affected, look at the label on the side of the PSU. The lot code is represented by the first eight digits below the barcode. Hopefully that doesn't mean pulling apart your whole PC....

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 8. Jun 20, 14:20

In Italy, they created a mobile application to track people for covid prevention. It works with gps and alerts you if, in the past days, you've been close to someone who tested positive. A simple thing, useful or not I'm not here to tell, but that's not the point. The app is called "Immuni".
So, people went to mobile stores to download it. Turns out there also is an app called "Immune System", which is an educational application and is in English language. People (a lot of people) downloaded the latter, afterwards assaulting the store page insulting the devs because "this app is in English only!!!", posting very poor reviews and destroying the app visibility on the store.
Hundreds of reviews. One of the best is like "5 stars? I reply to idiots which are good in English, I live in Italy, I am Italian and I'm not replacing my grammar with one which is taking me back to Middle Ages!!11!1!!!" I mean: "idiots who are good in English"? Why? It's the triumph and magnification of ignorance. Again, why? If you're dumb like a rock and didn't realise it's the wrong app, why are you insulting the ones which noticed it wasn't the app you had to download?

Return to “Off Topic English”