Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 3. Apr 19, 22:04

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited: Starship Troopers may be getting a sequel TV series with the Original Cast!

I loved that movie. No, it wasn't like the book. But, it was friggin' brave and brash and in-your-face and so over-the-top that I couldn't help but respect it. A darn brave movie with good sci-fi and a bucketload of practically brilliant social commentary. "Science-fiction with meaning." On the Big Screen. We don't see that kind of thing very much anymore.

A TV series might be a bit much... But, still, it could be very refreshing and offer something really "different." We'll have to see.

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Wed, 3. Apr 19, 22:34

the first movie was great the later ones were not very good cant believe that wes 22 years ago
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 4. Apr 19, 00:30

Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Wed, 3. Apr 19, 22:34
the first movie was great the later ones were not very good cant believe that wes 22 years ago
y u make me feel old? :)

Yeah, I saw part of the second one, I think. I stopped watching it after a few minutes. I preferred to continue the fiction of the first movie in my head rather than confront the horrors Hollywood is capable of.

Interestingly enough, I read some comments about it and people said that if one forgot the first movie was ever made, the second one wan't too bad. I'll take their word for it.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Tue, 9. Apr 19, 16:15

The second one had a different tone, but the ending. The ending was both tragic and damning.

After all the horror the last guy standing pleaded with the authorities not to make his last report into a propaganda video. So what did they do?
Turned the whole thing into a propaganda video. Bastards. :shock:

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 15:40

The Starship Troopers movies are weird movies

The first one was good and had a budget of $100M. They hired some reasonably big name actors and it is considered a good cult classic movie but barely broke even at the box office.
The second one looks like a film students final year project which is much grimdark (can't find a budget), it stars no one you'll likely have heard of didn't even get a cinema release . . . . . .I recall it being "not too bad" but I'd imagine few people are aware it even exists.
So far so as expected.

But the third one is between these two, it had a budget of $9M, Rico is back, Jolene Blalock is in it. . . . it looks pretty much as bright and flashy as the first one, but the plot is straight up INSANE and it went straight to DVD. . . . even fewer people know it exists.
How the hell did the 3rd on get made?

I only just learned there is a 4 and a 5 . . . . both animated apparently?!
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sat, 13. Apr 19, 01:50

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/04 ... c-anomaly/

Video of a geostationary communications satellite apparently going bang.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 17. Apr 19, 16:00

you gotta laugh - well giggle, anyway.. :roll:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... et-dealers

:lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 26. Apr 19, 13:15

This is an interesting graphic.
https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5D78224D

Taking it at face value, I did not know that Mozzies kill more people than people. . . . and it surprises me.

The US airforce is apparently taking steps to take the concept of UFO's(just a little) more seriously, in reaction to pressure from pilots who are angry at their (seemingly quite regular) sightings being summarily dismissed out of hand.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr-con ... e4a2a19750

Interesting, perhaps there is something to it? I mean little green men remain highly unlikely but it seems probable there ARE strange things flying around up there.
What do we think? It seems pretty striking to me that this uptick coincided pretty well with drone technology really starting to take off (pun intended :roll:)
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 27. Apr 19, 00:57

Bishop149 wrote:
Fri, 26. Apr 19, 13:15
The US airforce is apparently taking steps to take the concept of UFO's(just a little) more seriously, in reaction to pressure from pilots who are angry at their (seemingly quite regular) sightings being summarily dismissed out of hand.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr-con ... e4a2a19750

Interesting, perhaps there is something to it? I mean little green men remain highly unlikely but it seems probable there ARE strange things flying around up there.
What do we think? It seems pretty striking to me that this uptick coincided pretty well with drone technology really starting to take off (pun intended :roll:)
"US Navy" IIRC (WaPo doesn't like my adblocker...).

It's long been maintained that reporting anomalies and potential hazardous incursions, if they are truly incursions, is the only sensible way to go. Several "UFO" organizations have taken that stance regardless of how easily the possible report would suit their fancy as "UFO=Extraterrestrial Craft" evidence. There is an issue, though - Pilots are pilots. While they may be able to remark on something unusual being seen, that doesn't make them meteorologists and there is no such thing as a "Professional UFO-Extraterrestrial-Alien-Craft Observer." There's a wide variety of rare, but not impossible, aerial phenomenon that can easily be misinterpreted by even veteran pilots. How does one qualify something a pilot reports as "unidentified?"
Tracker001 wrote:
Fri, 26. Apr 19, 15:36
The most numerous bird in the world . The History Guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7dAG4T-5h4
Awesome vid! I love this guy's vids. They're so darn awesome and informative. Back in the day, we used to have a weekly "lecture" series outside of normal core curriculum and open to the public where speakers would give presentations and the like on interesting or topical subjects. I think every institution of higher learning should give have every department giving such a lecture once a week, much like this guy's vids. I would have easily sit in an auditorium and listened to this guy talk about the history of chickens for a darn hour or more. :) (I may or may not have been sober, though...)

He has the most impressive collection of hats, too. +1 Likes for "Hat Collection." Thanks for reminding me of his channel!

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 1. May 19, 13:54

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1123378494011002883

"Our part of the world"

Wow . . . . . talk about the mask slipping.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 1. May 19, 18:51

Bishop149 wrote:
Wed, 1. May 19, 13:54
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1123378494011002883

"Our part of the world"

Wow . . . . . talk about the mask slipping.
It's just repetition of a long-standing geo-political policy concerning the "Americas" and the US Western Hemisphere and stuff left over from the Monroe Doctrine that he's parroting. No mask-slippage at all since we've never concealed that attitude from the Russians or anyone else.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 1. May 19, 19:29

Morkonan wrote:
Wed, 1. May 19, 18:51
It's just repetition of a long-standing geo-political policy concerning the "Americas" and the US Western Hemisphere and stuff left over from the Monroe Doctrine that he's parroting. No mask-slippage at all since we've never concealed that attitude from the Russians or anyone else.
Hmmmm, I was perhaps giving them more credit that was warranted then.
I thought they were at least supposed to pretend that America was above such an imperialistic attitude.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 3. May 19, 03:01

Bishop149 wrote:
Wed, 1. May 19, 19:29
...I thought they were at least supposed to pretend that America was above such an imperialistic attitude.
Sorry, you've come to the wrong store for "Nations that wish to demonstrate they are above an imperialistic attitude." :)

Admittedly, however, the attitude has switched a bit since the devolution of the "Cold War." It never was "imperialistic" to begin with, but it is more of a desire to prevent instability in this hemisphere with a marked focus on encouraging democracy and while preventing/discouraging "meddling" by unfriendly powers.

These days, though, I am unsure that it's even "a thing" considering the current Administration. I really couldn't say what Trump's position is, there, considering his rhetoric and blustering, but lack of demonstrable efforts.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 3. May 19, 04:47

Space-X reports Crew Dragon capsule destroyed in fire during a test

Sad news, but better without a crew than with one.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 14. May 19, 06:11

Borderlands 3 6 month Epic games store exclusive.

https://kotaku.com/borderlands-3-is-a-s ... 1833771692

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Sun, 19. May 19, 13:13

Suspect Drop Kicks Arnold Schwarzenegger In South Africa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEXRpEzgzAY
GA-7N400 PRO2
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 21. May 19, 21:28

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Sun, 2. Jun 19, 21:08

Arrested For Dancing The Macarena In The Streets Of Saudi Arabia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai43grw4JbQ
GA-7N400 PRO2
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 3. Jun 19, 21:12

Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Sun, 2. Jun 19, 21:08
Arrested For Dancing The Macarena In The Streets Of Saudi Arabia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai43grw4JbQ
No argument about how ridiculous it is to arrest a kid for something like that but.... it was in 2017.....
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Return to “Off Topic English”