Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

red assassin
x3

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by red assassin » Thu, 7. Feb 19, 22:10

Morkonan wrote:
Thu, 7. Feb 19, 21:33
Well, that depends on how much you value Dwarf Fortress! I would think that there might be one or two people out there that would disagree with you. :) But, 190 million would buy a pretty darn big Dwarf Fortress. Heck, you could build a real-life Dwarf Fortress with real-life dwarves/Little People in it for that money!
I mean, I'd definitely be more upset about losing Dwarf Fortress than a bunch of cryptocurrency types losing their money, to be fair...
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 8. Feb 19, 08:42

red assassin wrote:
Thu, 7. Feb 19, 22:10
I mean, I'd definitely be more upset about losing Dwarf Fortress than a bunch of cryptocurrency types losing their money, to be fair...
You wouldn't be "losing" Dwarf Fortress, you'd just be losing the chance of it getting updated beyond where it is now. If you like it fine how it is now, then no problem.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Fri, 8. Feb 19, 11:40

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 8. Feb 19, 08:42
You wouldn't be "losing" Dwarf Fortress, you'd just be losing the chance of it getting updated beyond where it is now. If you like it fine how it is now, then no problem.
I will not be satisfied until they've completed their vision of a complete, accurate simulation of a dwarf universe at the quantum level.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 8. Feb 19, 21:04

red assassin wrote:
Fri, 8. Feb 19, 11:40
pjknibbs wrote:
I will not be satisfied until they've completed their vision of a complete, accurate simulation of a dwarf universe at the quantum level.
Can you know both the momentum and position of a Dwarf? Is that Dwarf in the box alive or dead when its also occupied by a deadly substance released by a radioactive trigger? Do Dwarves get heavier as a factor of their velocity? Will the direction its sibling is running change if it changes direction, itself, no matter the distance separating them? If a Dwarf has enough velocity near a sufficiently massive rotating object, can it move to an earlier saved game?

Ya know... A "Quantum Dwarf" mod... You might have fun with that. :)

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Fri, 8. Feb 19, 21:15

Morkonan wrote:
Fri, 8. Feb 19, 21:04
Can you know both the momentum and position of a Dwarf? Is that Dwarf in the box alive or dead when its also occupied by a deadly substance released by a radioactive trigger? Do Dwarves get heavier as a factor of their velocity? Will the direction its sibling is running change if it changes direction, itself, no matter the distance separating them? If a Dwarf has enough velocity near a sufficiently massive rotating object, can it move to an earlier saved game?

Ya know... A "Quantum Dwarf" mod... You might have fun with that. :)
I mean, it already has the Quantum Stockpile glitch. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/ ... _stockpile

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 8. Feb 19, 21:29

red assassin wrote:
Fri, 8. Feb 19, 21:15
I mean, it already has the Quantum Stockpile glitch. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/ ... _stockpile
"Infinite?"

Does DF have any counter rollover issues with that?

After reading about that glitch, it appears that there are some switching systems in DF that, one assumes, people have made "computers" out of, right? ie: DF-based calculators, etc.

And, yup, a quick search says that there are a profuse number of them. Cool! :)

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Fri, 8. Feb 19, 23:15

Morkonan wrote:
Fri, 8. Feb 19, 21:29
"Infinite?"

Does DF have any counter rollover issues with that?

After reading about that glitch, it appears that there are some switching systems in DF that, one assumes, people have made "computers" out of, right? ie: DF-based calculators, etc.

And, yup, a quick search says that there are a profuse number of them. Cool! :)
I don't actually know, but I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to get a counter rollover without having run out of memory first, and you'd have to generate a heck of a lot of stuff to get that far anyway.

Yeah, there's loads of computing implementations, based on a bunch of different primitives (mechanics, minecarts, fluids, cats, dwarves, etc etc...). Turns out pretty much anything that behaves predictably and allows switching you can build computers out of.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sun, 10. Feb 19, 11:15

wow, Jeff Koons at the Ashmolean - you lucky people:
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... deflection

- I hope he breaks all records.. :D :thumb_up:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 00:08

Ultima Thule Flyby!

Holy @$%@$... Look at that thing? What the heck? It's described as a dented walnut and pancake combo. (I usually include the name "Thule" in all my civilizations, groups, and clans in video games. Why? For reasons... (That have nothing to do with most interpretations))

Lookit that thing!

Now we've got something just as weird as Oumuamua to attempt to explain. Ain't the Universe grand?

PS - Maybe "pancake-like" (or even cigar-shaped) objects aren't rare at all? Maybe they end up getting some rotation and just form like that before they can accrete more matter or something? Maybe that's one common way that dust tends to accrete in late-stage planetary systems at the outer edges? /dunno /stillcool

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 07:25

life goes on:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-d ... yt4BRERXe8

UFO's over Dartmoor..
jumpers for goalposts..
could be the cider.. :roll:

crushed dwarf globular spheroids?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn3WWVzpT_E

- ouch! :shock: :shock:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 13. Feb 19, 22:56

BugMeister wrote:
Tue, 12. Feb 19, 07:25
life goes on:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-d ... yt4BRERXe8
This is an advertisement for heavy hallucinogenics, right? Tell me it's an advertisement for heavy hallucinogenics because if it isn't then it should be an advertisement for heavy hallucinogenics1

I wanna see an octopus. I wouldn't even be ashamed at that point.

"Sir, you are aware you stated you "swerved to avoid an octopus" right?"

"Yes, your honor, I did state that for the record and I did see said octopus, your honor."

"Very well, then, Case dismissed, lack of evidence, no octopus found at scene. You are free to go after you give me the number of your dealer."

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 13. Feb 19, 23:46

Devon is Screaming Lord Sutch territory..
Wurzels everywhere.. :lol:

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 15:00

Trolling Russia, or mocking British paranoia? HUGE Russian flag flies from Salisbury Cathedral https://www.rt.com/uk/451666-salisbury- ... sian-flag/
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 15:09

Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Sun, 17. Feb 19, 15:00
Trolling Russia, or mocking British paranoia? HUGE Russian flag flies from Salisbury Cathedral https://www.rt.com/uk/451666-salisbury- ... sian-flag/
I wouldn't have taken it down, I would have set it on fire and burned it down. :twisted:
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 21:43

Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Sun, 17. Feb 19, 15:00
The fact that there are so many legitimate interpretations of that is telling... And, maybe that's the point?

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 20. Feb 19, 11:25

Not sure if this deserves its own thread or not. The following story has been leading many of the headlines in the UK.

IS teenager to lose UK citizenship

It's a complicated case and frankly I'm a little surprised by the antipathy this story generates even among supposedly lefty progressive types.
Opinion seem pretty unanimous that she should be left to rot in the consequences of her own actions. Things to consider:

- She made her decision to join IS at 15 having been extensively groomed.
- Now as an adult she appears fairly unrepentant, despite her experiences.
- There is an issue of child welfare, she recently had a 3rd child the previous two having been killed.

Personally I'm unsure what to think, other than that any criminal acts she may have committed should be investigated tried by the appropriate court.
One thing I am sure on, however, is that the government should not have the power to revoke citizenship.
1) The function of a government is to protect and look after the best interests of it's citizens, WHOEVER they are. It should not be allowed to simply wash it's hands of any citizen it deems too big of a problem.
2) The revocation of citizenship in this case unquestionably a punishment meted out in response to perceived wrongdoing. Crime and Punishment is a matter for the Judiciary, not the Executive . . . . a basic issue of separation of powers.

I think the government is going to find itself in legal hot water very quickly over what was likely an exercise in grabbing some positive PR.
Legal challenges I've seen so far:
- You can't make someone stateless, you can only revoke citizenship if they have another one.
- They did this after the birth of the child, who therefore (at least arguably) still a British citizen. The government will be left with a choice between: Arguing they shouldn't have to protect a baby or removing a newborn from its mother. . . . somehow. :(
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 20. Feb 19, 13:17

It's a complicated issue. Yes, the government has a responsibility to protect *all* its citizens--but what happens with a citizen who has belonged to an organisation devoted to harming other citizens? Especially when she shows no particular remorse for the actions of that organisation, even calling them justified? I guess what it comes down to is this: if she were still resident in this country, having done the things she's done, then she'd be prosecuted in court and her guilt or innocence determined there. She would not have her citizenship revoked. This is only an action the government can even consider because she's not currently resident in the UK, and I don't think that should make a difference.

So, my opinion: let her come home, make sure she's interned somewhere where she can't possibly harm anyone while she waits for trial, and then let the court determine what happens to her.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 20. Feb 19, 13:24

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 20. Feb 19, 13:17
Yes, the government has a responsibility to protect *all* its citizens--but what happens with a citizen who has belonged to an organisation devoted to harming other citizens? Especially when she shows no particular remorse for the actions of that organisation, even calling them justified? I guess what it comes down to is this: if she were still resident in this country, having done the things she's done, then she'd be prosecuted in court and her guilt or innocence determined there. She would not have her citizenship revoked. This is only an action the government can even consider because she's not currently resident in the UK, and I don't think that should make a difference.

So, my opinion: let her come home, make sure she's interned somewhere where she can't possibly harm anyone while she waits for trial, and then let the court determine what happens to her.
I basically agree with your analysis, this is a decision made on the basis of convenience and gaining political capital
Having citizens intent on harming other citizens and/or destroying the state to which they belong is hardly a new issue, see Northern Ireland. . . I don't recall our stripping citizenship from any IRA or UVF terrorists.

Edit:

Ha! Oh this gets better.
This document: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... .0_WEB.pdf

Outlines SPECIFICALLY how to deal with a ISIS returnee to the UK who is pregnant / a mother (page 50-51) and represents a common sense approach.
Forewords by Theresa May and Sajid Javid
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 20. Feb 19, 16:16

Bishop149 wrote:
Wed, 20. Feb 19, 11:25
Not sure if this deserves its own thread or not. The following story has been leading many of the headlines in the UK.

IS teenager to lose UK citizenship

It's a complicated case and frankly I'm a little surprised by the antipathy this story generates even among supposedly lefty progressive types.
Opinion seem pretty unanimous that she should be left to rot in the consequences of her own actions. Things to consider:

- She made her decision to join IS at 15 having been extensively groomed.
- Now as an adult she appears fairly unrepentant, despite her experiences.
- There is an issue of child welfare, she recently had a 3rd child the previous two having been killed.

Personally I'm unsure what to think, other than that any criminal acts she may have committed should be investigated tried by the appropriate court....
I agree that it's difficult to justify revocation of citizenship unless it is specifically "awarded" by a government. Most governments, however, state that's the case in some way. It's one of those loopholes that could only be exploited in the most extreme cases and it's left there on purpose, in my opinion. (It is not an easy subject to unravel, though.)

I think it appears she made a mistake when she was a minor. A child. Even worse, a teenager, who is armed with just enough power and mental capacity, even if ill-used, to make some pretty darn big whoppers of mistakes.

Now, it appears she regrets her decision. There's still a bit of brainwashing there in the nooks and crannies, but it doesn't appear that she agrees with many things IS has done.

Is it a case of "Holy Clap, I'm in some deep falafel, now" or is it a case of true regret and love for her former country?

/shrug

To be very honest, I think consideration here should go far beyond the instances of this particular case. The U.K. People need to decide how they are going to view minors, their choices, and how far the adult can be held responsible for their choices as a child. They also need to decide whether or not a child can subsume the power of the U.K. Government and can determine whether or not a person is a citizen of the U.K. while keeping in mind she would not have been free to travel or free to make a contrary decision once arriving in the gentle, caring, hands of IS.

But, when people get angry and just want to feed that anger and add a healthy dose of righteous indignation for good measure, they're capable of extreme deficiencies of compassion and empathy. They also tend to disregard common sense.

Grimmrog
x4

Post by Grimmrog » Wed, 20. Feb 19, 16:24

pjknibbs wrote:
red assassin wrote:
Thu, 7. Feb 19, 22:10
If toady is gone, how long would we be ble to play DF until the lack of maintenance would make it unplayable on new systems and OS? Doubt anyone else could continue that.

Return to “Off Topic English”