Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fiksal
x4

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by fiksal » Sun, 5. Jul 20, 02:36

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sat, 4. Jul 20, 20:08
Those movies fail so frequently because they take an IP that has no real story and the folks that write the scripts have little to no familiarity with the games.
For sure people making them aren't fans or that familiar with the material.

Games often have stories but movie script writers feel they need to write new ones for a movie, rather than adapt.

Also I think there's lack of budget, which means less talent, more hasty production.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 5. Jul 20, 12:47

fiksal wrote:
Sat, 4. Jul 20, 18:11
Interesting, and make sense.
The last one for medical field does seem questionable.

BTW, are there nude beaches in Germany? I assume photography without consent is also illegal there? And come to think about it, also not legal on regular beaches?[...]
Photography in public is always a touchy subject in Germany. Generally speaking you can usually take picture of the entire beach without focusing on specific people sitting there, but you are not allowed to publish the pictures anywhere. With nude beaches there are probably specific other rules put in place by the people operating/owning the beach.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 6. Jul 20, 09:28

I'm not a Fallout fan, but there are so many tv shows on the "post apocalyptic survival" genre (some good, some bad) that I don't see how it can work, if not trying to get the fans on the hype train. And then suiciding with some crap choice.

Recently, I kinda liked The Witcher, even if you can argue is based more on novels that on a game. Not a masterpiece, but I found it pleasant to watch.

I agree with IMDB on the fact Warcraft is probably the best movie inspired on a videogame. But it was made by Blizzard, entirely. It's not like they asked somebody to write a script, somebody who doesn't even know what an orc is, possibly.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Mon, 6. Jul 20, 10:47

fiksal wrote:
Sat, 4. Jul 20, 04:48
This is when I am trying to remember a really good movie or TV series based on video game alone.
The only two good adaptations I can think of, are Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil. They don't clear the 'really good' bar though... Nothing else springs to mind.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 6. Jul 20, 10:53

I can think of several really, really bad video games based on films or TV series (and ultimately back to book series probably) though ... :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 6. Jul 20, 13:23

Golden_Gonads wrote:
Mon, 6. Jul 20, 10:47
fiksal wrote:
This is when I am trying to remember a really good movie or TV series based on video game alone.
The only two good adaptations I can think of, are Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil. They don't clear the 'really good' bar though... Nothing else springs to mind.

You are right. And interesting point about that Mortal Kombat, that was beautifully done, it's a movie with silly story based on a game with no story.

There was a talk about the new MK movie. This time the MK games have some questionably complicated story. Hopefully the movie will not hold it against them.
Last edited by fiksal on Mon, 6. Jul 20, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 6. Jul 20, 13:36

fiksal wrote:
Mon, 6. Jul 20, 13:23
Golden_Gonads wrote:
Mon, 6. Jul 20, 10:47
fiksal wrote:

You are right. And interesting point about that Mortal Kombat, that was beautifully done, it's a movie with silly story based on a game with no story.

There was a talk about the new MK movie. This time the MK games have some questionably complicated story. Hopefully movie will not hold it against them.
Or, fan service is dominating the choices like DOA did.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 6. Jul 20, 13:41

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 6. Jul 20, 13:36
There was a DOA movie, and Jamie Pressly is in it? Whaaaaat!

Also kinda what to see My Name Is Earl again

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 6. Jul 20, 13:50

fiksal wrote:
Mon, 6. Jul 20, 13:41
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 6. Jul 20, 13:36
There was a DOA movie, and Jamie Pressly is in it? Whaaaaat!

Also kinda what to see My Name Is Earl again
There was, with Jamie Pressly, Devon Aoki, Holly Valance and some other actors I don't remember. :mrgreen:

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 7. Jul 20, 09:54

So it seems as if lynchings still hold a great fascination with people.

Here are employees of a Jimmy John's deciding that the best way to spend their time while at work would be making a noose out of bread and acting as if there are hanging themselves. According to the video caption this is a way to celebrate July 4th. They have been fired.

Here is a news clip about an alleged attempted lynching that happened also on 4th of July. I use the word "alleged" very liberally here as when you watch the full video, which I will not link due to the forum rules, you can hear one of the guys holding the man against his will say "get a noose".

UPDATE: There was a protest in support of the guy from the article above and someone drove a car into the protests.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 13. Jul 20, 21:40

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/blaze ... smsnnews11
This fire has been burning for the last 24 hours. I can't imagine what aboard the ship could be fueling it for this long, it's not the ship's fuel stores and there was no ammunition aboard. I'll be very interested to see what the aftermath reports say.

I hope they get it under control soon, but it sounds like it's spread to the superstructure and into the pilothouse. I'm just glad there haven't been any severe injuries.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 13. Jul 20, 22:31

One of the lessons learned from the Falklands war and the damage and losses of ships attributed to sea skimming missiles was that some light alloy metal superstructure used to save weight (and cost) in (war)ship construction burns quite sustainably if the initial explosion or fire is hot enough.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 13. Jul 20, 23:06

True, but this was reported as a class A fire (paper, wood, cloth, etc.), not a class D fire (metals).

Thinking about it, the ship undergoing routine maintenance with civilian work crews, more than likely they were doing things like stripping and refinishing the decks, replacing hatches, probably some spot welding. That usually involves bringing in equipment that will have hoses and power cables breaking fire boundaries that would make it near impossible to seal off. If the insulating materials along the bulkheads ignited without being able to seal off adjoining compartments, I could see it spreading quite easily. It's the only thing to me that would make sense at this time since the fire started in the cargo hold and has worked it's way up.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 14. Jul 20, 06:52

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2020/07 ... 594669664/
Fire is still out of control. The ship has started to list and the forward mast has collapsed. The Navy is suspecting the ship is damaged beyond repair at this point.

There's still over a million gallons of fuel on board. I imagine they're going to end up having to tow the ship out of the harbor to avoid a catastrophic explosion that could take out a good chunk of the base. I doubt there's going to be any way for them to safely get the fuel out while the fire is still raging.
rebellionpac.com

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 16. Jul 20, 00:24

So a lot accounts of the rich and famous have been hacked on Twitter, from Bill Gates to Elon Musk. messages were then left on their twitter page on Bill gates the message was "You send $1,000, I send you back $2,000." on Musks he was offering to double peoples money saying "for the next hour I'm feeling generous because of Covid-19," they were all asking for payments to be made in bit coins. Even though the posts were quickly removed after they were posted, they suspect that around $100,000 in bit coins were sent.
:lol:
For whoever fell for the scam, I have no sympathy for them. Mind you, Trumps account was not effected as no one would have believed he was willing to give away cash.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 16. Jul 20, 02:47

I laughed)

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 16. Jul 20, 08:51

felter wrote:
Thu, 16. Jul 20, 00:24
So a lot accounts of the rich and famous have been hacked on Twitter, from Bill Gates to Elon Musk. messages were then left on their twitter page on Bill gates the message was "You send $1,000, I send you back $2,000." on Musks he was offering to double peoples money saying "for the next hour I'm feeling generous because of Covid-19," they were all asking for payments to be made in bit coins. Even though the posts were quickly removed after they were posted, they suspect that around $100,000 in bit coins were sent.
:lol:
For whoever fell for the scam, I have no sympathy for them. Mind you, Trumps account was not effected as no one would have believed he was willing to give away cash.
The fact somebody believed Elon Musk would makes me laugh.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Thu, 16. Jul 20, 11:17

The thing that staggers me is that somebody got hold of this level of access to Twitter and... used it to tweet some dumb bitcoin scam that pulled in a few hundred thousand dollars at most. They could have crashed Tesla stock with some carefully chosen Musk tweets, caused all manner of chaos by tweeting as Trump (granted, he does that anyway!) or other world leaders or government agencies... Imagine if someone had done this on US election day!
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 16. Jul 20, 12:44

red assassin wrote:
Thu, 16. Jul 20, 11:17
The thing that staggers me is that somebody got hold of this level of access to Twitter and... used it to tweet some dumb bitcoin scam that pulled in a few hundred thousand dollars at most. They could have crashed Tesla stock with some carefully chosen Musk tweets, caused all manner of chaos by tweeting as Trump (granted, he does that anyway!) or other world leaders or government agencies... Imagine if someone had done this on US election day!
How would any of that have earned them money? They didn't have a political motive here, it was all about the cold hard (well, sharp and electrical in this case) cash.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Thu, 16. Jul 20, 16:38

Buy a bunch of shorts on Tesla stock and then tweet something daft from Musk's account. Hell, buy a bunch of random shorts and tweet something daft from the president's account. Sell your access to the Russian government. Trawl/phish rich Twitter accounts for personal information and use it to phish their companies, access their personal accounts, or blackmail them. Just come up with some slightly more plausible scam than "err yeah Obama is doubling people's bitcoins today, honest" - Trump needs your support to own the libs, Musk is doing some product giveaway, etc. That's a few ideas off the top of my head.

My actual guess is that whoever got hold of this access wasn't really expecting it to work, didn't have a plan, and panicked that they were going to get caught and lose it and just wanted to do *something* before that.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Return to “Off Topic English”