Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fiksal
x4

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by fiksal » Thu, 16. Jul 20, 02:47

I laughed)
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 16. Jul 20, 08:51

felter wrote:
Thu, 16. Jul 20, 00:24
So a lot accounts of the rich and famous have been hacked on Twitter, from Bill Gates to Elon Musk. messages were then left on their twitter page on Bill gates the message was "You send $1,000, I send you back $2,000." on Musks he was offering to double peoples money saying "for the next hour I'm feeling generous because of Covid-19," they were all asking for payments to be made in bit coins. Even though the posts were quickly removed after they were posted, they suspect that around $100,000 in bit coins were sent.
:lol:
For whoever fell for the scam, I have no sympathy for them. Mind you, Trumps account was not effected as no one would have believed he was willing to give away cash.
The fact somebody believed Elon Musk would makes me laugh.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Thu, 16. Jul 20, 11:17

The thing that staggers me is that somebody got hold of this level of access to Twitter and... used it to tweet some dumb bitcoin scam that pulled in a few hundred thousand dollars at most. They could have crashed Tesla stock with some carefully chosen Musk tweets, caused all manner of chaos by tweeting as Trump (granted, he does that anyway!) or other world leaders or government agencies... Imagine if someone had done this on US election day!
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 16. Jul 20, 12:44

red assassin wrote:
Thu, 16. Jul 20, 11:17
The thing that staggers me is that somebody got hold of this level of access to Twitter and... used it to tweet some dumb bitcoin scam that pulled in a few hundred thousand dollars at most. They could have crashed Tesla stock with some carefully chosen Musk tweets, caused all manner of chaos by tweeting as Trump (granted, he does that anyway!) or other world leaders or government agencies... Imagine if someone had done this on US election day!
How would any of that have earned them money? They didn't have a political motive here, it was all about the cold hard (well, sharp and electrical in this case) cash.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Thu, 16. Jul 20, 16:38

Buy a bunch of shorts on Tesla stock and then tweet something daft from Musk's account. Hell, buy a bunch of random shorts and tweet something daft from the president's account. Sell your access to the Russian government. Trawl/phish rich Twitter accounts for personal information and use it to phish their companies, access their personal accounts, or blackmail them. Just come up with some slightly more plausible scam than "err yeah Obama is doubling people's bitcoins today, honest" - Trump needs your support to own the libs, Musk is doing some product giveaway, etc. That's a few ideas off the top of my head.

My actual guess is that whoever got hold of this access wasn't really expecting it to work, didn't have a plan, and panicked that they were going to get caught and lose it and just wanted to do *something* before that.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 16. Jul 20, 16:54

The fact is people actually falls for this kind of things, and I am just sad I'm too honest, because it's astonishingly easy to scam people these days.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Fri, 17. Jul 20, 11:53

I must say these videos coming out of the US look more and more like they could also come from Hong Kong or Iran. Just random military looking guys driving around in unmarked cars snatching people off the streets. Related news articles:

1: https://www.opb.org/news/article/federa ... rotesters/

2: https://www.opb.org/news/article/portla ... -officers/

The mayor of Portland said about these federal units according to article number 2:
“I told the Acting Secretary that my biggest immediate concern is the violence federal officers brought to our streets in recent days, and the life-threatening tactics his agents use,” he wrote. “We do not need or want their help.”
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sat, 18. Jul 20, 01:41

https://twitter.com/eastdakota/status/1 ... 4596331520

Cloudflare had a BGP oopsie and half the internet fell over for a few minutes.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 19. Jul 20, 00:55

The Portland story is escalating with international news agencies picking up on the story now. The BBC has a story on it. This is more like something you would see from a fascist state, or some place like Russia or China, not the streets of America. Trump thinks it is great, but it will probably blow up in his face and do more damage to him than anything else.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 19. Jul 20, 10:53

red assassin wrote:
Sat, 18. Jul 20, 01:41
https://twitter.com/eastdakota/status/1 ... 4596331520

Cloudflare had a BGP oopsie and half the internet fell over for a few minutes.
Many commenters on that twitter thread did not seem to know anything about routing.
I don't know either, but I have a solid guess that I don't want to mess with it, unless I have to.

IIRC, Mikrotik had some years back a similar "our firmware update fumbled BGP" moment.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sun, 19. Jul 20, 11:11

jlehtone wrote:
Sun, 19. Jul 20, 10:53
Many commenters on that twitter thread did not seem to know anything about routing.
I don't know either, but I have a solid guess that I don't want to mess with it, unless I have to.

IIRC, Mikrotik had some years back a similar "our firmware update fumbled BGP" moment.
They posted a more detailed explanation blog here. https://blog.cloudflare.com/cloudflare- ... y-17-2020/ It's maybe a little difficult to follow if you're not super familiar with BGP, but the short version is somebody fumbled a configuration change that was supposed to drop a particular router from their routing and instead made it the highest priority route for their entire network!

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 21. Jul 20, 12:00

Delyn MP Rob Roberts invited intern to 'fool around' with him
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-53472289

Essentially an MP who thought it was a good idea to proposition an intern to "fool around". An example of where moral values and judgements of someone in their personal life removes any confidence of their ability to make sound/good judgements on your behalf as your parliamentary representative; seems a very common theme with MP's - shared personality issue for those seeking such positions of power?

Just... baffles. 40 year old proposition 21 year old intern. What did he imagine would be the outcome? Can only imagine his position relative to hers made him think it would possibly happen.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 22. Jul 20, 18:26

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 22. Jul 20, 20:59

felter wrote:
Wed, 22. Jul 20, 18:26
Just leaves the question, why do they think he would make a good president.
Exactly because this: "words sometimes do not align with his intentions".
Ringing any bells?

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 22. Jul 20, 22:15

This is why the feds had to be sent to Portland as you can see they are all nothing but anarchists. One thing of note, they are all wearing masks now, which is nice to see.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 23. Jul 20, 00:59

Ohh looky... murder suspect Derek Chauvin and his wife have been charged with 9 counts of tax fraud going back as far as 2014. tsk tsk.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/22/ex-cop-de ... nneapolis/

Amazing what happens to people when they no longer have a badge to hide behind.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 23. Jul 20, 02:18

I do kind of feel sorry for her, she has been dragged into it and she had nothing to do with any of it, apart from being married to him.

More from the UK. Bozo the clown is coming to Scotland today (Thursday) and the Scottish government is having nothing to do with him. I'm expecting some kind of demonstration if he appears in front of the Scottish people, he is not exactly liked or wanted up here, he would be better off just staying down south in London.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 23. Jul 20, 02:33

felter wrote:
Thu, 23. Jul 20, 02:18
I do kind of feel sorry for her, she has been dragged into it and she had nothing to do with any of it, apart from being married to him.
She isn't being charged with murder, she's being charged with tax fraud. Every citizen of this country has a moral and civic obligation to pay their taxes. She and her husband didn't, apparently close to 500k worth. I don't feel sorry for the greedy.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 23. Jul 20, 02:50

I was talking about the other thing, you know that thing her husband did with his knee and some dudes neck, she didn't do any of it but she is getting absolute crap over it.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 23. Jul 20, 04:03

ahh
rebellionpac.com

Return to “Off Topic English”