Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

burger1
x3tc

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by burger1 » Tue, 13. Nov 18, 21:26

It looks like people are playing fallout 76 a day early.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 17. Nov 18, 01:03

I would have posted this in Death Announcements, but, alas it's not a person, however interesting:

Kepler Space Telescope given final commands for shutdown

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

(Dylan Thomas)
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 17. Nov 18, 01:11

Hank001 wrote:
Sat, 17. Nov 18, 01:03
I would have posted this in Death Announcements, but, alas it's not a person, however interesting:

Kepler Space Telescope given final commands for shutdown

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

(Dylan Thomas)
@Hank, thank you for that.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 18. Nov 18, 00:13

https://imgur.com/a/tR2ia4K

So quick pop quiz, what is the reason I'm linking that screenshot of CNN headline?
Spoiler
Show
It's not Trump
Such a fine example of modern professional journalism that deserve utmost respect. Specifically for consummated individuals who only read news via headline, designed for maximum controversy :D
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 19. Nov 18, 22:35

CNN: Wombat poop: Scientists have finally discovered why it's cubed

Because I'm sure you guys were curious about this and it's probably a topic you should stay informed on. Great conversation starter at parties! Probably only parties of wombat poop aficionados, but they say there's something for everyone in this world so, here ya go... ;)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 20. Nov 18, 14:57

Happy birthday 2 U:

International Space Station Turns 20

Burnt and drilled but still hanging in there...

:lol:

Happy birthday 2 U!
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Merry Christmas from mike the magpie

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 08:29

I seen this on the news this mornining the magpie that says Merry Christmas https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... -christmas
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 17:35

Jet Blowing Bubbles in Young Radio Galaxy 4C 31.04
Down loadable > https://arxiv.org/pdf/1811.08971.pdf

Magellanic Bridge star motion
Down loadable > https://arxiv.org/pdf/1811.09318.pdf

My source for both those links (and more)
SuspiciousObservers
Daily Sun, Earth and Science News

Oh ya New Zealand islands have moved 13 inchs (330.2 mm) closer after the Nov 2018 earthquake .

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 18:10

Tracker001 wrote:
Mon, 26. Nov 18, 17:35
SuspiciousObservers
Just a note: There's no link between solar magnetic activity and Earthquakes. The vid seemed to insist that there was. But, linking things to earthquakes that don't have a lot to do with them is a passion of some people, so it's common. Why? Earthquakes happen all the time and they're easily found, these days, so it's easy to link earthquakes with just about anything. USGS - Do Solar Flares or Magnetic Storms Space Weather cause earthquakes I'm generally wary of channels that seem to make unfounded claims, especially when it's sort of presented as exclusive/privileged knowledge. (ie: Our "earthquake models") But, other than that one thing, the vid was cool and informative, so thanks! :)

Is it possible? Maybe, but I think it would be much more evident and the data just doesn't seem to show that. There could be some influence, though, since the Sun has such a huge influence on everything Earthly. But, I don't think it's critical. Disclaimer: I am not a geodude, solar starer or rocket surgeon... :)

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 18:36

Morkonan wrote:
Mon, 26. Nov 18, 18:10
Tracker001 wrote:
Mon, 26. Nov 18, 17:35
SuspiciousObservers
Just a note: There's no link between solar magnetic activity and Earthquakes. The vid seemed to insist that there was. But, linking things to earthquakes that don't have a lot to do with them is a passion of some people, so it's common. Why? Earthquakes happen all the time and they're easily found, these days, so it's easy to link earthquakes with just about anything. USGS - Do Solar Flares or Magnetic Storms Space Weather cause earthquakes I'm generally wary of channels that seem to make unfounded claims, especially when it's sort of presented as exclusive/privileged knowledge. (ie: Our "earthquake models") But, other than that one thing, the vid was cool and informative, so thanks! :)

Is it possible? Maybe, but I think it would be much more evident and the data just doesn't seem to show that. There could be some influence, though, since the Sun has such a huge influence on everything Earthly. But, I don't think it's critical. Disclaimer: I am not a geodude, solar starer or rocket surgeon... :)
On going data collection and correlation https://quakewatch.net/predictioncenter/
"The Earthquake Prediction Center at QuakeWatch.net is the home of the study of pre-seismic signals, and the practice of earthquake forecasting. The Earthquake Prediction Center at QuakeWatch.net is a division of SpaceWeatherNews and is supported by a collective of more than 300,000 people. The model was formulated by performing a thorough survey and review of the available literature on pre-seismic signals like foreshock patterns, ground ion changes, atmospheric and electromagnetic factors, and the most robust and reliably-available factors were chosen to combine into a real-world-practice model that seeks to use these factors to actively reduce the global active fault area by 80 to 90%, finding the 10 to 15% of of earth most at-risk of a large and significant earthquake at that time (usually M7+). The model has been successfully predicting the location of M7+ earthquakes, within that 10 to 15%, approximately 70-80% of the time."

To remind you
"EmailPrint
What is the Scientific Method?
The scientific method is a process for experimentation that is used to explore observations and answer questions. Does this mean all scientists follow exactly this process? No. Some areas of science can be more easily tested than others. For example, scientists studying how stars change as they age or how dinosaurs digested their food cannot fast-forward a star's life by a million years or run medical exams on feeding dinosaurs to test their hypotheses. When direct experimentation is not possible, scientists modify the scientific method. In fact, there are probably as many versions of the scientific method as there are scientists! But even when modified, the goal remains the same: to discover cause and effect relationships by asking questions, carefully gathering and examining the evidence, and seeing if all the available information can be combined in to a logical answer.

Even though we show the scientific method as a series of steps, keep in mind that new information or thinking might cause a scientist to back up and repeat steps at any point during the process. A process like the scientific method that involves such backing up and repeating is called an iterative process.

Whether you are doing a science fair project, a classroom science activity, independent research, or any other hands-on science inquiry understanding the steps of the scientific method will help you focus your scientific question and work through your observations and data to answer the question as well as possible."

Electroquake | Electric Earthquakes are Real
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... WEn5JZ22dk

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 19:08

Tracker001 wrote:
Mon, 26. Nov 18, 18:36
... The model has been successfully predicting the location of M7+ earthquakes, within that 10 to 15%, approximately 70-80% of the time."
How often does it fail? ie: Nothing happens.

And, the suggested mechanism behind this effect dealing purely with Solar Activity and not "we combined everything else, too" models?
To remind you
"EmailPrint
What is the Scientific Method?...
I don't need a reminder. :) I know that things like many "space sciences" and cosmology, especially, are not "experimental sciences." At least, not until we develop the tools to allow for that ability. (It might be a good idea if we don't develop such tools. I don't want some enthusiastic experimental scientist running around creating strangelets...)

The website can maintain its accuracy all it wants to, but I would think that if it was truly "predictive" then, considering the bajillions of lives at stake, we'd see someone reacting to those predictions, right? Then again, scientists try to warn residents near volcanoes all the time...

The point -> I don't believe they have a truly reliable "predictive" model despite their enthusiastic claims. I also don't believe they have a predictive model that thrusts solar magnetic activity into the causal spotlight and have yet to see any mechanism presented that has support for its critical link with earthquakes.

PS - I'm not saying earthquakes are random. :) I'm just not putting a lot of trust in a model that appears to make sketchy claims and one that nobody else acknowledges as being viable.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 19:29

Tracker001 wrote:
Mon, 26. Nov 18, 18:36
On going data collection and correlation https://quakewatch.net/predictioncenter/
"The Earthquake Prediction Center at QuakeWatch.net is the home of the study of pre-seismic signals, and the practice of earthquake forecasting. The Earthquake Prediction Center at QuakeWatch.net is a division of SpaceWeatherNews and is supported by a collective of more than 300,000 people. The model was formulated by performing a thorough survey and review of the available literature on pre-seismic signals like foreshock patterns, ground ion changes, atmospheric and electromagnetic factors, and the most robust and reliably-available factors were chosen to combine into a real-world-practice model that seeks to use these factors to actively reduce the global active fault area by 80 to 90%, finding the 10 to 15% of of earth most at-risk of a large and significant earthquake at that time (usually M7+). The model has been successfully predicting the location of M7+ earthquakes, within that 10 to 15%, approximately 70-80% of the time."

To remind you
"EmailPrint
What is the Scientific Method?
The scientific method is a process for experimentation that is used to explore observations and answer questions. Does this mean all scientists follow exactly this process? No. Some areas of science can be more easily tested than others. For example, scientists studying how stars change as they age or how dinosaurs digested their food cannot fast-forward a star's life by a million years or run medical exams on feeding dinosaurs to test their hypotheses. When direct experimentation is not possible, scientists modify the scientific method. In fact, there are probably as many versions of the scientific method as there are scientists! But even when modified, the goal remains the same: to discover cause and effect relationships by asking questions, carefully gathering and examining the evidence, and seeing if all the available information can be combined in to a logical answer.

Even though we show the scientific method as a series of steps, keep in mind that new information or thinking might cause a scientist to back up and repeat steps at any point during the process. A process like the scientific method that involves such backing up and repeating is called an iterative process.

Whether you are doing a science fair project, a classroom science activity, independent research, or any other hands-on science inquiry understanding the steps of the scientific method will help you focus your scientific question and work through your observations and data to answer the question as well as possible."

Electroquake | Electric Earthquakes are Real
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... WEn5JZ22dk
Where's his data published? Where are his peer reviewed papers? Saying "scientific method" at people doesn't make something good science. Without these things, assessing the veracity of his claims is impossible, and frankly not publishing them while quoting some very carefully worded statistics about accuracy doesn't exactly inspire confidence. As Mork notes, he's not saying anything about how often earthquakes don't happen. Frankly, I can build a model that achieves nearly the same thing as he's claiming by tracing a map of active faults with a crayon. (Source: usgs.gov - map of known magnitude 7+ earthquakes; note how many occur within a relatively small area along active faults.)
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 20:19

I'm going to go play "connect the dots" with a lightning-strike map in order to see what "causal relationships" I can draw from it... I wonder which dot I should start with? I guess I just start with "wherever the data takes me." That's scientificky.

PS - Just a note: Not belittling the overall efforts, but I can't find anything in any recognized body of inquiry that makes such associations. ie: The last report I found from the ICEF (International Commission on Earthquake Forecasting for Civil Protection) didn't even have a category listed for anything related to solar magnetic activity, though local, Earthly, magnetic field fluctuations were listed as possible, correlated, indicators in a few instances. Even there, direct connections were more anecdotal and curious, needing more data, and caution was urged, IIRC. I didn't link the last report (pdf) because I didn't want to have to hunt it down again in the history after accidentally closing the page because I am a lazy bartard, usually... :) )

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 21:43

- a brilliant interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QLL-jM30QA

- not surprised that Michelle's recent book has shot to the top of the best-seller's list..
- so sweet.. :D :thumb_up:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 28. Nov 18, 16:40

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-n ... mX_FPffMBM

TL:DR
One group of cops pose and drug dealers and try to sell to another group of cops posing as buyers.
Fight erupts as each group attempts to arrest the other, weapons were apparently drawn. . . . . frankly it's a miracle no one appears to have been shot.

I also like to imagine the participants of a real drug deal were looking on and laughing. :lol:
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 16:54

No reason to get excited, just Marriott got hacked and 500 million customers had their data stolen. No biggie, except that the hackers have had ongoing access to it since 2014...

The one thing that bothers me, aside from the fact that I've stayed at a Marriott Courtyard recently, is that the reports have stated that the hacker "encrypted the database." Uh... does that mean it wasn't encrypted before? If so, is this another case of someone just dumping everything into a plain text database so they didn't have to worry about certificates/encryption management?

If so, 500 million people should sue the crap out of "Starwood," the owner of Marriott. * I'm sick of this crap...

Additional Information, help line, etc: https://answers.kroll.com/

*The Editorial Staff of "Dumba$$ Mork Posts" apologizes for this error. Marriott owns the Starwood group, which includes a number of hotels. Be sure that your attorney references the correct parties in your complaint. "Dumba$$ Mork Posts" is a wholly-owned subsidiary of "Recycled Coffee Grounds, Inc."
Last edited by Morkonan on Fri, 30. Nov 18, 17:44, edited 2 times in total.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 17:27

I think you have that backwards, Mork? Starwood Hotels were the ones who had the flaky hacked system, and Marriott bought them out in 2016--so it's Marriott owns Starwood, not the other way round. Furthermore, Marriott themselves use a different booking system which has *not* been hacked, so if you stayed at an actual Marriott hotel you should be fine.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 17:34

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 30. Nov 18, 17:27
I think you have that backwards, Mork? Starwood Hotels were the ones who had the flaky hacked system, and Marriott bought them out in 2016--so it's Marriott owns Starwood, not the other way round. Furthermore, Marriott themselves use a different booking system which has *not* been hacked, so if you stayed at an actual Marriott hotel you should be fine.
Ah, thanks - Sorry about that! I was watching a report on it on television while looking for something to link, so bungled my refs. :(

In related news - A reporter on television said that the hacker(s) stole the database AND then they said that they also stole the "encryption mechanism." So, if their reporterspeak can be translated, then perhaps they stole one of the encryption keys/certs for the database? ie: It may not have been plaintext, like some databases that have been stolen, but the decryption key(s) were easily accessible to them, which is just as bad.

(Will correct above post.)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 05:13

I... don't even: Girl called Abcde 'mocked by Southwest Airlines staff'

I can't. What do I do? I mean... So, uh, who do I... ?
(CNN)Southwest Airlines has apologized after a mother claimed its staff mocked her five-year-old daughter, called Abcde, over her name.
A gate agent laughed at the name -- pronounced 'Ab-si-dee' -- and posted a picture of her boarding pass online, the girl's mother, Traci Redford, alleged.
"The gate agent started laughing, pointing at me and my daughter, talking to other employees. So I turned around and said, 'Hey, if I can hear you, my daughter can hear you, so I'd appreciate if you'd just stop,'" Redford told ABC News....
OK, let's try this again: It seems this child was named "Abcde" by her parent(s). And... Uh. Full stop - I just can't. You guys figure out what the take on this one should be. :)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 07:21

Well, it's a silly name, no doubt about it, but that doesn't mean it's OK for the airline staff to openly mock it in public. Would they have done the same if the child had an unfortunate birthmark on her face?

Return to “Off Topic English”