Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 4. May 18, 13:00

Morkonan wrote:
Sounds like the name of a local new wave band.
You forgot the Curry! Not that I wouldn't be in my local pizza shop in Stockholm saying..."Hold the banana and curry powder please!?"
In a college town like this we have 100 pizza places. If I waltzed in and dared ask for a "banana curry pizza" I'd be turned out. Which means wait a week and if this isn't a sterling example of "Fake News" and some plot to forever taint America's favorite fast food, well then it will suddenly appear on all their menus. I remember how fast "Hawaiian Pizza" came and just how fast it left. :shock:
(BBBRRRR)
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 4. May 18, 16:55

I didn't play the first one, though I know it was a great game with great reviews, but I'm finding myself pretty hyped by the prospects of playing this -

Red Dead Redemption - Trailers 1 - 3

I love open world and haven't played a "Wild West" sort of title in... I don't know when. But, the drama and promise in these simple trailers is starting to warm me to the idea.

PS - Just thinking - If it's moddable, which it probably is, wouldn't it be awesome to put in some of the characters from the classic "Westerns?" Oh wow... I could do that!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 4. May 18, 18:55

Do you possess a console? If not, don't get your hopes up. There are plenty of us PC gamers who would have liked to play the first game, and that hasn't appeared on the platform even now, eight years later!

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 4. May 18, 19:03

:shock: Ouch! Console games. :rant: Excuse me. I'd comment further but it would belong on the "Ranty McRant" thread.
That and they don't have that brown smelly pile icon on this site.
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 4. May 18, 19:38

pjknibbs wrote:Do you possess a console? If not, don't get your hopes up. There are plenty of us PC gamers who would have liked to play the first game, and that hasn't appeared on the platform even now, eight years later!
Yeah, I have XBox/PS. Why? Remote friends keep saying "Hey, we can play on consoles to enjoy some games together."

But, they all won't play on the same console... so. /shrug

Hmm, I didn't even think about it possibly being "console only!" WTF? All my dreams of adding some handmade "Once Upon a Time in the West" characters are ruined! ARRGH! :/

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 4. May 18, 19:55

Morkonan sobbed:
All my dreams of adding some handmade "Once Upon a Time in the West" characters are ruined! ARRGH! :/
If you figure it out PM me. I have more "Old West" models than you can shake a polecat at. (Name you poison partner).
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 5. May 18, 17:16

Since deleting my Facebook account, it seems every site I go on that I still let show me adverts has had some variation of 'join Facebook, it'll be great!' advert on it. Previously my account was just disabled.

Not Insidious at all.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 5. May 18, 17:46

The entire era reminds me of the advertising era a century ago touting things like electric underware, radium toothpaste for brighter smiles and Coka Cola had the Real Thing. It's all probably just as toxic to our health. Popup ads.....GRRR :evil:

So Mr. Peabody set your Wayback Machine to the worst ads of the last century:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.busine ... ads-2016-4

(Note interspaced with modern ads almost as bad)
:P
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 6. May 18, 06:03

Hank001 wrote:Morkonan sobbed:
All my dreams of adding some handmade "Once Upon a Time in the West" characters are ruined! ARRGH! :/
If you figure it out PM me. I have more "Old West" models than you can shake a polecat at. (Name you poison partner).
Unfortunately, it can't be done. It's an insta-brickable offense to do what one would have to do to get in there and mod it.

<-- Is 3d hobbyist.

The plan was originally to do some custom characters, likely using their own base meshes, but I'd probably have to do some custom clothing to duplicate the look of iconic Spaghetti-Western characters. Probably not an issue, depending on their dynamics system. Texturing not an issue, though I'd probably try to repurpose as much as possible to save overhead. Static assets not an issue - Just repurpose. Music? Dunno how they script that, but wouldn't be complete without some great ambience.

The idea was a series of custom "missions" featuring several of the most recognizable film characters, maybe with a big "showdown" at the end?

BUT... all that is down the drain - It's likely going to be a closed game with no such options. And, considering the huge amount of cash they're earning on GTA multiplayer, they will probably focus it on that, which means tight control on assets and selling "skins" and crap in their markeplace which, IMO, they can shove straight up their gaping fookin milk-sucking blistered #%^#^%#^s and then twist it so it @$%$ in the @%@$ at the same time...

AND ANOTHER THING... @$%@$%

:)

There, mini-rant over. I was really dreaming up some stuff until my dreams got dashed. Would have been the perfect game for such a project.

My current 3D 'puter is dead. Was even thinking of an entirely new machine just because of this project. :/ Will get another soon, but had a lot of motivation until I found out the known and suspected plans for this game...
mrbadger wrote:Since deleting my Facebook account, it seems every site I go on that I still let show me adverts has had some variation of 'join Facebook, it'll be great!' advert on it. Previously my account was just disabled.

Not Insidious at all.
Send them an email nicely requesting them to cease and desist all activities related to tracking you or your previous membership status. A nice link to the latest, largest, class-action suit award against random-company-x would also be a nice touch.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 6. May 18, 14:09

Morkonan @$!# said:
There, mini-rant over. I was really dreaming up some stuff until my dreams got dashed. Would have been the perfect game for such a project.
(Yawn) Oh well. Nothing for old retied 3D game pro to do then. All this 3D software just setting here while I scoot across the X3 game galaxy potting pirates for fun and profit. You know what one of my favorite jobs was in character creation? Clothing design. When through with Maya's wonky cothing engine you could never quite rig the character right after skinning it with their "cloth." 3Ds Max was a bit better in that regard, but you had to spend days getting cloth to look like cloth. Then I found Cinema 4D. It's Cloth engine lets you play with all the cloth physics. And using Collada import the result to 3ds Max or anywhere else that has a Collada plugin.

Then there's horses. Love making and rigging horses. Got to where I'd get a chuckle when someone would ask about the "walk cycle". I'd tell them it's a "canter, trot or gallop cycle." Now you'd think getting a horse into motion capture would be a nightMARE :D. Nope. Darn horse was a pro. All decked out in mirror dots and pasted with red balls this horse plum thought it was a parade or something. Real trooper (Or is it something about any species' females that makes them like to show off when dressed up). Still have those mocaps too. Just setting here. Oh well. In that electronic stable with the models. Guess this my rant sort of. Back to my Advanced thing-a-ma-bob and on the look out for red in my hud. (Yawn)

:lol:
MIND THE GAP

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 6. May 18, 15:58

Hank001 wrote:The entire era reminds me of the advertising era a century ago touting things like electric underware, radium toothpaste for brighter smiles and Coka Cola had the Real Thing. It's all probably just as toxic to our health. Popup ads.....GRRR :evil:

So Mr. Peabody set your Wayback Machine to the worst ads of the last century:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.busine ... ads-2016-4

(Note interspaced with modern ads almost as bad)
:P
Wow, that was a wild ride.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 6. May 18, 16:19

clakclak noted:
There are worse, but (naturally) the sites that showcased them either dried up or (most likely) aren't on search engines. Running down ads can even get you into legal trouble if the companies are still in business. I started my college career wanting to get into the ad business until I saw that the ethics they taught was too much like anti-ethics so I changed my major. Glad I did. Though one thing that aborted career did was give me an insite into just what kind of people get into the ad biz and how they go about it. Strange enough I learned a good deal of like techniques as they use in ads, only I learned it in the service as "psy-ops". Go figure. :roll:
MIND THE GAP

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 6. May 18, 16:58

Hank001 wrote:clakclak noted:
There are worse, but (naturally) the sites that showcased them either dried up or (most likely) aren't on search engines. Running down ads can even get you into legal trouble if the companies are still in business. I started my college career wanting to get into the ad business until I saw that the ethics they taught was too much like anti-ethics so I changed my major. Glad I did. Though one thing that aborted career did was give me an insite into just what kind of people get into the ad biz and how they go about it. Strange enough I learned a good deal of like techniques as they use in ads, only I learned it in the service as "psy-ops". Go figure. :roll:
While we are at it, there was this recent chinese one that caused a few raised eyebrows.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 6. May 18, 17:09

Good example there clakclak. Play to the PRC's deep fear of
"diversity" since their goverment's been telling them for years it's causing the downfall of every other culture. My neice was teaching English in Shanghai for long enough to figure out China was a good place to leave. Quickly. Their ads are kind of indicitive of why.

(What's up with this flag I'm getting when I hit submit saying "Download of Download.php Failed. (?)) :? Doesn't look normal.
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 6. May 18, 19:22

Hank001 wrote:Morkonan @$!# said:
(Yawn) Oh well. Nothing for old retied 3D game pro to do then...
Then, you know the joy of pushing verts. Part of the reason I wanted to do it was for the fun doing it. :)

Though, I have no idea how their game assets are organized. And, admittedly, it's often difficult or impossible to replace certain sorts of assets. (Well, not impossible, but sometimes not worth it.) So, that means just creating morphs or, worse, using some sort of shared deformer system. Rigging is generally shared and the worst to alter, as demonstrated by any number of wacky game vids with humanoid rigs with heads shooting across the screen because they borked up the assignments or inexpertly altered the geometry/grouping. :) (One of the few humanoid assets that some games assign as separate/custom groups, but generally when there's no/little facial animation.)

I was going to re-use assets for buildings, horses, flora/fauna, and stay away from altering/adding terrain, since it seems big enough, but not sure how it would handle loading instances/cells/whatever.

In short - I was sort of looking forward to trying to tackle it all. I'm no coder/scripter, so it's "what I could do." I was also sort of looking forward to using it all as an excuse to update my software collection and force myself to stare at Blender, (It can't be ignored any longer.) maybe finally get that full copy of ZBrush I've been wanting and, yes, I've been eyeing Maya, 'cause... why not? (Tossup between Maya and Modo, to be honest, 'cause while powerful and free, Blender is still fookin' Blender... Cycles for a PBR is nice, though, and they keep pushing on developing that.)

I prefer organic, but can do some passable inorganic modeling. I suck at texturing though. Picked up the Substance pack months ago to help me get deeper into that, but then my 'puter coughed up blood and died. :/

ANY interesting tidbits and stories you may have that aren't under an NDA would be much appreciated! Also - Modding Xgames is "a thing." There may be quite a few modders that would love an experienced pro on their team!

PS - So, yeah, I overthunked a lot of stuff before even looking for info, just because I assumed it would be a game that's perfect for "modding." :( Imagine a "final showdown" at the end of a scripted custom questline! Would you side with Fonda or Bronson? !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdK0jaLuJL8

PPS - I love modeling clothing, too. 3DsMax broke the ground for dynamics, there. (I used 6, a long time ago, didn't get into simulations, though.) Not sure how Rockstar does their stuff. May have to pick up the last moddable GRA copy just to see. From the looks of it, dynamics isn't a big part in that, which makes sense since it's not that kind of game. (ie: No "cloaks" and dynamic hair/wind doesn't seem to be possible, but haven't looked closely.)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 6. May 18, 19:31

Morkonan asked:
Would you side with Fonda or Bronson? !!
Hank of course, though Sergio was playing loose with rules dressing him in black and Chuck in white.

(Check your mail soon)

:lol:
MIND THE GAP

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 12. May 18, 17:35

So I'm playing a game and I want to find out how to do something, so I what most normal people do and google it. Low and behold there is a video that has in it's title, how to do such a thing. So of course I now spend the next 29 minutes watching said video to get my answer just top find out the video title was a lie, the video doesn't show what it says it shows. So I leave a comment warning people that the video's title is a lie and not to bother watching it if that's what you want to find out and I also drop a thumbs down along with a lot of others who have done the same the thumbs down is way higher than the thumbs up.

That was last night, today there is a reply from the video maker and boy was it nasty, He was cursing and swearing calling me all the vile names under the sun, to give you an example kind of, as I'm censoring it he finished with.

Welcome to my block button you F****** C***.

Of course I get the last laugh as my reply was welcome to my report button for harassment and bullying. He was a typical American where he seemed to think that he can say and do as he pleases and there will be no comeback. Where now at the very least he will have a mark against him on Youtube while it could also lead to him getting either a suspension or even a ban, and all of his videos being removed. Also any advertising on his channel could be removed.

I have had a few people disagree with my comments on Youtube but this is the first time someone has been so aggressive in their reply and it's stupid as it is them that pays for it in the end. I know that the American President is a pig online but that does not give them the right to be just like him.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 12. May 18, 18:02

felter observes:
I have had a few people disagree with my comments on Youtube but this is the first time someone has been so aggressive in their reply and it's stupid as it is them that pays for it in the end. I know that the American President is a pig online but that does not give them the right to be just like him.
That's becoming more and more common the online behavior now would in the past peg someone as a troll. Put it down to the phenomenon of being unable to resolve conlicts/direct challenges with any composure past giving in to the fight or flight reflex. Trumps on line conduct is also serving as a bad example I agree, but it's serving to exacerbate a deeper problem and with the general degradation of civility mades response to critiques like the one you cited more and more likely I'm afraid.

PM me with the question, I can probably find you the answer on the local gamer chatroom.
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 12. May 18, 18:31

Alexa and Siri Can Hear This Hidden Command. You Can’t
Researchers can now send secret audio instructions undetectable to the human ear to Apple’s Siri, Amazon’s Alexa and Google’s Assistant...
So... It seems that some voice-controlled devices can be hacked, crossing the "air-gap" (An air-gap that is required for "sound") and instructing the devices just like the user can. Telling the device to connect to websites, send texts, email, take pictures, all without the human in the room being able to hear the commands being issued and their devices being hacked by commands embedded in a television commercial or song being played on a nearby television or radio.

Tinfoil hat stuff? No. This is a very real consequence of deploying technology that isn't fully understood and is pushed to market as quickly as possible because of the fierce competition in a very lucrative market.

Sure, it will probably be "fixed" and that avenue of attack won't be easily available anymore. But, what if it wasn't? One television commercial, maybe even innocently hijacked for malicious purposes by an audio-engineer during production, could end up with everyone's voice-command device who listened to it being turned into a zombie, fully under the control of a malicious third-party...

Extend the risk to other devices, other systems, that incorporate new voice-control technology for even broader risks.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 12. May 18, 18:56

Morkonan wrote:
Extend the risk to other devices, other systems, that incorporate new voice-control technology for even broader risks.
Even scarier. Why did companies like Amazon leave the sub/super audio sidebands open for such intrusions? This happened to be a topic I heard discussed last night. The device's hardware (At least Amazon's) circuitry was CREATED to include these bands when it would have decreased circuit complexities to have only had the devices recieve in the range of normal human hearing.
MIND THE GAP

Return to “Off Topic English”