Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hank001
x3ap

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 30. Sep 18, 00:51

Tracker:
"Are you Disciplined enough to be board " ?
That vid brought up a good point. The release of creativity. The arts are having to teach students how to do this because otherwise they are finding true creativity on the wane and the rehashing of things seen and done before being called "creativity". Where the ideas are actually a hodgepodge of plagiarisms. Its as if "letting the mind wander" is something to be feared and not embraced.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Sun, 30. Sep 18, 02:32

Fined $40 million and to step down as chairman for at least three years.
One heck of an expensive Tweet for Elon Musk

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 30. Sep 18, 02:41

OmegaKnight:
Fined $40 million and to step down as chairman for at least three years.
Guess I'm vidicated for getting trolled in so many forums (not this one thankfully) when I spead the news about the SEC investigation. "Fake News" they called it. "Stop trying to drop the stock youself!" They said. "Just shut up and it will blow over" was about the best comment. Granted he was showing the signs of burnout, but I really feel for the guy so proofs showing up didn't really make up watching a true innovator take a hit. (No pun intended).
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 30. Sep 18, 17:35

Tracker001 wrote:
Sat, 29. Sep 18, 20:24
The Scientific Benefits of Boredom

"Are you Disciplined enough to be board " ?
I can sit for hours and just "think." Now, that may mean I find it difficult to open up a bag of potato chips and have to use my higher-order reasoning skills in order to accomplish that, but at least I'm "thinking." I think.

On a related note: We owe what these guys call "boredom" most of the credit for the creation of "Science." At least as far as the "Western" approaches go. Some of the "elite," those with the wealth and status to be able to actually be "bored," quickly took to several "fad" pursuits, including becoming "Naturalists," moving Science into a more rigorous study rather than one that more philosophically based. It's a fact that those with the ability to do so... do. At least, eventually they "do." Escaping boredom? No. Being able to comfortably "sit and think" and then take that "thought" and transform it into "action?" Yes. Being an industrialist or prosperous land-owner had its perks.

IMO, if, having the opportunity and ability to do so, one can not just "sit and think" then something is wrong. A bunch of guys deciding to shock themselves rather than to just sit still and "think" is a very bad sign - Something is wrong. I'm not at all surprised that women seemed to be able to occupy themselves in more internally productive ways. Young men, these days, purposefully distract themselves too much with little to gain from it.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 30. Sep 18, 17:59

Morkonan states:
IMO, if, having the opportunity and ability to do so, one can not just "sit and think" then something is wrong. A bunch of guys deciding to shock themselves rather than to just sit still and "think" is a very bad sign - Something is wrong.
Shocking... :o

Ten to one if they'd told the people in the experiment that the button was wired to 4000 volts at 1000 amps you'd still had some push the button rather than set there alone with their thoughts.

With nothing to do but ponder life... :doh:

...ZAP...

:skull:

(Darwinism in action)
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 30. Sep 18, 18:21

Hank001 wrote:
Sun, 30. Sep 18, 17:59

Shocking... :o

Ten to one if they'd told the people in the experiment that the button was wired to 4000 volts at 1000 amps you'd still had some push the button rather than set there alone with their thoughts.

With nothing to do but ponder life... :doh:

...ZAP...

:skull:

(Darwinism in action)
:)

We had several huge transformer areas in our building. Some were designed to power much more robust equipment than we used, but we kept them all, because who doesn't want "more power?" These areas all had steel rails around them, huge "Don't @$$@^ with this" signs and fifty-eleven lockouts... I'd still find crap people left sitting in those protected areas because people just wouldn't frickin' read the huge signs. I am amazed nobody got frickin' deaded.

"Push pointy-end towards enemy." - Instructions written on the first spear ever made.

I "might" be temped to do a "what if" and press that button. But, then I'd friggin' stop and say to myself "That was stupid. Don't do that again."

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 30. Sep 18, 18:34

Morkonan wrote:IMO, if, having the opportunity and ability to do so, one can not just "sit and think" then something is wrong.
The real challenge, is being able to just sit and NOT think. :)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 1. Oct 18, 19:22

Observe wrote:
Sun, 30. Sep 18, 18:34
Morkonan wrote:IMO, if, having the opportunity and ability to do so, one can not just "sit and think" then something is wrong.
The real challenge, is being able to just sit and NOT think. :)
It could be claimed, and some do so with repeated insistence, that is all I ever really do. If I ever met "The Buddha" he would probably say, "Dude, wtf? I mean, come on... I was totally serious, by the way, but you didn't have to go that darn far with it!" :)

Just a little note: India is rushing towards a similar sort of financial crisis that the US faced in 2008 - IL&S Financial Crisis in India There's a point where deregulation can be healthy and then there's this... We'll have to see what happens and then how that crisis in the second-most populated country in the world is handled by the rest of us.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 01:11

Morkonan wrote:
Mon, 1. Oct 18, 19:22
[...]
Just a little note: India is rushing towards a similar sort of financial crisis that the US faced in 2008 - IL&S Financial Crisis in India There's a point where deregulation can be healthy and then there's this... We'll have to see what happens and then how that crisis in the second-most populated country in the world is handled by the rest of us.
I am going to say we go with the usual "ignore and move on until it effects us."
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 01:22

clakclak quipped:
I am going to say we go with the usual "ignore and move on until it effects us."
Well as they say, "The markets work on the domino theory."
So just wait... :mrgreen:

In science news NASA is putting it's spin on the news.

Scientists ID three causes of Earth's spin axis drift

Red Rover, Red Rover...

Dust Storms on Titan

Saturn's Hex
MIND THE GAP

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 20:20

"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 14:05

clakclak wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 20:20
...She than got punched in the face by the mother of the child she tried to drag away.
Ah, well at least it had a happy ending. :)

WTF is in the drinking water where some of these "celebrities" live? Is it the fame and "celebrity" that just drives them over the edge? Drug use? Plastic surgery? A severe lack of "real life" experience as a result of becoming a celebrity at a young age? Something worse? Lohan had what might have been a promising career ahead of her. Then... WTF?

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 17:42

Morkonan wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 14:05
clakclak wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 20:20
...She than got punched in the face by the mother of the child she tried to drag away.
Ah, well at least it had a happy ending. :)

WTF is in the drinking water where some of these "celebrities" live? Is it the fame and "celebrity" that just drives them over the edge? Drug use? Plastic surgery? A severe lack of "real life" experience as a result of becoming a celebrity at a young age? Something worse? Lohan had what might have been a promising career ahead of her. Then... WTF?
I think if plastic surgery alters your mind you might be doing something wrong. :lol:

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Fri, 5. Oct 18, 14:26

The peace noble prize this year went to Nadia Murad and Denis Mukwege for their effort to end the use of sexual violence as a weapon in war.

After the questionable choices of past year with winners like the EU, Obama and worst of all Aung San Suu Kyi, this seems like a solid choice.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 12:21

This is just brilliant. Just brilliant.

:lol:
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 12:31

RegisterMe:
Just brilliant
Answers the age old question of: "Is it art?" With: "Not any more it's not!"

Gotta love creativity in destruction... :D
MIND THE GAP

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 02:45

Interpol boss, a Chinese national, has been reported missing in a visit to his motherland.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 06:06

Santi wrote:
Sun, 7. Oct 18, 02:45
Interpol boss, a Chinese national, has been reported missing in a visit to his motherland.
I thought it had been confirmed he'd been arrested and was under investigation by Chinese authorities?

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 20:08

Yes that is correct the Chinese released an statement saying so.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Return to “Off Topic English”