Elite: Dangerous looks better already!

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Thu, 18. Dec 14, 17:05

ED is lacking content at the moment of that there is no doubt what-so-ever.

The vision is very different in the X games, it's more about creating a Hardwar/Bladerunner in space rather than the big vast emptiness that is space which ED represents.
Comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges, they are both fruit but the similarities end there.

Since launch, I've mainly been playing with a friend mooching about doing bounty hunting to upgrade our ships, and for all this is really just grinding it's hugely entertaining, the coop play with a friend can't be downplayed, having your friend screeching on the coms that he's bitten off more than he can chew forcing me to search for his wake signature and drop in and help even the odds is a level of immersion and entertainment none of the X Games have ever given me.

The foundation for a truly exception game have been made, now FD need to build on those foundations otherwise ED will become a bland vast empty expanse of a game.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 18. Dec 14, 17:15

Avis wrote:The foundation for a truly exception game have been made, now FD need to build on those foundations otherwise ED will become a bland vast empty expanse of a game.
Does a roadmap exist which gives hope towards that end? I've been saying it all along - game play has to have evolved from Elite 2 for me. I've now seen a 'lets play' game and don't believe that it'll hold my attention past looking great so am delaying getting involved (especially for £40).

However, everything starts somewhere and the potential to advance now it's out could be very exciting :)

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Thu, 18. Dec 14, 17:27

I don't think Frontier's road-maps are that reliable, as the single-player version debacle shows. I might be wrong but I don't think we're looking at more than feature-fixing for a few months.

A whole lot of stuff like planet landings and station walkabouts have been mentioned on and off.

What we're not seeing, possibly because of a combination of features not working properly yet and newness of the game is the emergent content from the combined actions of players through faction reputations.

But again - I'm not holding my breath.

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Thu, 18. Dec 14, 17:55

SteveMill wrote:I don't think Frontier's road-maps are that reliable, as the single-player version debacle shows. I might be wrong but I don't think we're looking at more than feature-fixing for a few months.

A whole lot of stuff like planet landings and station walkabouts have been mentioned on and off.

What we're not seeing, possibly because of a combination of features not working properly yet and newness of the game is the emergent content from the combined actions of players through faction reputations.

But again - I'm not holding my breath.
Actually we are seeing player initiated content, look at independence for lugh (google it) for an example, it just doesn't happen overnight, players have to raise a specific faction thats a rival above a certain level before a civil war breaks out, but there are several systems where this is happening, also, many system factions are starting to branch out into new systems cause they became really powerfull in their home system, once those factions get enough influence in the new system, that wll also cause a civil war, this is also due to player activity.
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Thu, 18. Dec 14, 19:04

Grim Lock wrote: Actually we are seeing player initiated content, look at independence for lugh (google it) for an example, it just doesn't happen overnight, players have to raise a specific faction thats a rival above a certain level before a civil war breaks out, but there are several systems where this is happening, also, many system factions are starting to branch out into new systems cause they became really powerfull in their home system, once those factions get enough influence in the new system, that wll also cause a civil war, this is also due to player activity.
Of all things this is something I was always failing to understand in the new elite concept. Specifically, why would anybody care about the label on a station/sector? :) Not that it gives you anything tangible. The only time I checked who owns the station was when the reputation bugged out and I got "shot on sight" rating with feds. The logic to do this certainly seems to be there though, you can see your individual input every time you return a mission.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 18. Dec 14, 19:33

The economy model / trading AI is totally fubbared at the moment :(.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu, 18. Dec 14, 21:10

As an alpha player that stopped playing for a while and came back recently. I can say that the game has improved MASSIVELY over the last few months. FD have worked extremely fast to get it even to the stage it's at now. Just a few months ago the multiplayer was unplayable and there was no proper economy. If they keep up the pace the game will grow and improve very quickly.

Atmospheric flight and landing on planet surfaces are CONFIRMED for next year (kickstarter goal). Walking around on them and exploring them on foot them will come some time after that. We might get the ability to walk around in ships, but I don't think this one is confirmed.

A lot happens in the background on Elite and the down side is, it's not really reflected in the visible game (yet). That is what needs working on to make the galaxy feel more alive. Things evolve very slowly as well. At the moment we are trying to kick the Federation out of a system, but it's taking weeks.

I'm not sure if the main story has "started" yet either. There will be one, but it will be persistent and continue with or without your interaction. There is no hand holding in the game what so ever either, so if you like being told what to do, you won't like Elite. It chucks you in to a brutal world with peanuts and says off you go then :P

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Fri, 19. Dec 14, 12:02

idontknow wrote: A lot happens in the background on Elite and the down side is, it's not really reflected in the visible game (yet). That is what needs working on to make the galaxy feel more alive. Things evolve very slowly as well. At the moment we are trying to kick the Federation out of a system, but it's taking weeks.
It seems from what Brookes was saying was that the Civil War was triggered and reset 3 times. They've fixed that fault.

What he won't say is what difference that makes beyond a small line in Galnet.

If they can get the galaxy to respond in a visibly dynamic way to things like this it'll go a long way to making ED something closer to what we are expecting.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 19. Dec 14, 13:10

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=80109

My thoughts on the Background Simulator...... which aren't that positive.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Fri, 19. Dec 14, 16:18

I'm feeling a bit unclean at the moment.

The Feds asked me to murder one of their own. Some general or other.

They claimed he was an Imperial sympathizer, so despite the fact that the poor man hadn't actually done anything wrong he had to go.

[He was flying a dropship which completely outgunned my poor cobra, but when I took out his shield generator it evened the score a bit :D ]

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 05:45

Yeah the Federation and the empire are both scumbags as bad as one another. The alliance has had my allegiance since Frontier: First encounters. It's a shame Frontier havn't implemented any navy/ special ships for them as they have with the other galactic powers. In fact so far hey don't have any kind of story event either it's just 'oh yeah the alliance is there as well.'
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 09:39

All the alliance system I visited in beta seemed to have their main stations really far off from the entry point of the system. Normally on the secondary star of a binary system.

They really need to add the ability to select which star you are jumping to in a system. There is no reason to sit for 10 minutes waiting to go from one star to another.

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 13:11

do you HAVE to take a side?
Split say NEED MORE FIREPOWER!!

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 13:50

vukica wrote:do you HAVE to take a side?
No. Not if you dont want to rise in a navy rank or take part in warzones and the like.

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 14:04

I was quite happily clearing out the vermin from the Federation cashing in the bounties and slowly increasing my reputation with the Feds, yesterday however a friend was engaging an Anaconda in Ovid system which was a bit much for him to handle it did however have a 105,000cr bounty on it's head so I jumped in ripped it apart had the blue flash up notification of earning 107,000cr bounty but nothing in transactions to cash in for it..

This was almost certainly a bug of some nature however I'm role playing this bug out :) the Feds are not good for their money, now they can rot in the cold depths of space while I enjoy a life of Piracy and maybe fleeting support for the Empire,,, which to be honest I'm not sure why it took me so long to see the light in the 1st place.

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 16:55

Avis wrote:had the blue flash up notification of earning 107,000cr bounty but nothing in transactions to cash in for it..

This was almost certainly a bug of some nature
Might not be. Check your transactions (navigation panel) if it's still showing then you've just not visited the right jurisdiction. If the bounty is with the federation, you'll need to visit a federal aligned station to claim it. A lot of the time stations are independent of the local government. You can see which from the system map.
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 18:32

Nyax wrote:
Avis wrote:had the blue flash up notification of earning 107,000cr bounty but nothing in transactions to cash in for it..

This was almost certainly a bug of some nature
Might not be. Check your transactions (navigation panel) if it's still showing then you've just not visited the right jurisdiction. If the bounty is with the federation, you'll need to visit a federal aligned station to claim it. A lot of the time stations are independent of the local government. You can see which from the system map.
As I mentioned, there is nothing in transactions for it.
The Damned Federation scum are not good for their money :)

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 20:26

Avis wrote: As I mentioned, there is nothing in transactions for it.
Roleplaying bugs cause features are few and far in between? :) I got a more vicious one, still not sure how to role play it. Lots of people got hit by a trading bug now where it shows an error when you sell something and then your cargo space is taken, the goods show up in cargo hold (sometimes) but you cannot sell or even jettison them. Of course you can't change your ship either. Man, that's why I hate online games.

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 21:42

kurush wrote:
Avis wrote: As I mentioned, there is nothing in transactions for it.
Roleplaying bugs cause features are few and far in between? :) I got a more vicious one, still not sure how to role play it. Lots of people got hit by a trading bug now where it shows an error when you sell something and then your cargo space is taken, the goods show up in cargo hold (sometimes) but you cannot sell or even jettison them. Of course you can't change your ship either. Man, that's why I hate online games.
sell all the valuable mods off your ship fly out and self destruct, yeah it costs but should sort that little problem out without too much financial hit.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 03:49

Avis wrote: sell all the valuable mods off your ship fly out and self destruct, yeah it costs but should sort that little problem out without too much financial hit.
I thought about it but then I see no reason it won't hit me again considering that monster thread with similar issues, so I'd rather wait until they fix it. I can work on some handy trade automation macros instead :)

Return to “Off Topic English”