Elite: Dangerous looks better already!

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 16:55

Avis wrote:had the blue flash up notification of earning 107,000cr bounty but nothing in transactions to cash in for it..

This was almost certainly a bug of some nature
Might not be. Check your transactions (navigation panel) if it's still showing then you've just not visited the right jurisdiction. If the bounty is with the federation, you'll need to visit a federal aligned station to claim it. A lot of the time stations are independent of the local government. You can see which from the system map.
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 18:32

Nyax wrote:
Avis wrote:had the blue flash up notification of earning 107,000cr bounty but nothing in transactions to cash in for it..

This was almost certainly a bug of some nature
Might not be. Check your transactions (navigation panel) if it's still showing then you've just not visited the right jurisdiction. If the bounty is with the federation, you'll need to visit a federal aligned station to claim it. A lot of the time stations are independent of the local government. You can see which from the system map.
As I mentioned, there is nothing in transactions for it.
The Damned Federation scum are not good for their money :)

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 20:26

Avis wrote: As I mentioned, there is nothing in transactions for it.
Roleplaying bugs cause features are few and far in between? :) I got a more vicious one, still not sure how to role play it. Lots of people got hit by a trading bug now where it shows an error when you sell something and then your cargo space is taken, the goods show up in cargo hold (sometimes) but you cannot sell or even jettison them. Of course you can't change your ship either. Man, that's why I hate online games.

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 21:42

kurush wrote:
Avis wrote: As I mentioned, there is nothing in transactions for it.
Roleplaying bugs cause features are few and far in between? :) I got a more vicious one, still not sure how to role play it. Lots of people got hit by a trading bug now where it shows an error when you sell something and then your cargo space is taken, the goods show up in cargo hold (sometimes) but you cannot sell or even jettison them. Of course you can't change your ship either. Man, that's why I hate online games.
sell all the valuable mods off your ship fly out and self destruct, yeah it costs but should sort that little problem out without too much financial hit.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 03:49

Avis wrote: sell all the valuable mods off your ship fly out and self destruct, yeah it costs but should sort that little problem out without too much financial hit.
I thought about it but then I see no reason it won't hit me again considering that monster thread with similar issues, so I'd rather wait until they fix it. I can work on some handy trade automation macros instead :)

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 08:18

Avis wrote:As I mentioned, there is nothing in transactions for it.
Oops! Sorry misread your post.
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 11:57

Actually the bug with not receiving bounty payments is beyond role-playing out, it's crippling for bounty hunting, an hour or so kill warrant scanning and culling totalled under 40K bounties, even though I'd taken down several 20K+ targets.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 17:51

At least my bug got fixed, it looks like Ashley from FD had a very long day today considering that thread on their forum with around 20 pages of ticket numbers :)

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 23:40

Avis wrote:I was quite happily clearing out the vermin from the Federation cashing in the bounties and slowly increasing my reputation with the Feds, yesterday however a friend was engaging an Anaconda in Ovid system which was a bit much for him to handle it did however have a 105,000cr bounty on it's head so I jumped in ripped it apart had the blue flash up notification of earning 107,000cr bounty but nothing in transactions to cash in for it..

This was almost certainly a bug of some nature however I'm role playing this bug out :) the Feds are not good for their money, now they can rot in the cold depths of space while I enjoy a life of Piracy and maybe fleeting support for the Empire,,, which to be honest I'm not sure why it took me so long to see the light in the 1st place.
dock at a station, go to contacts and claim the bounty there.
Split say NEED MORE FIREPOWER!!

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Tue, 23. Dec 14, 02:49

vukica wrote: dock at a station, go to contacts and claim the bounty there.
I've claimed over a million cr in bounties before this bug struck, I have a pretty good idea how to claim them ;)
In all seriousness this bug appears to manifest itself if bounty hunting with other CMDRs in the same area either open or private group.
The bounty is GONE, no refresh, go and collect nothing,, it's gone as if it never happened.

I confirmed the bug is only present in instances of multi-player as I went off and done my own thing leaving my friend to farm another system, while we were apart all was well, but when we worked together bounty rewards were almost random whether we'd get them or not.

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Tue, 23. Dec 14, 12:59

Avis wrote:
vukica wrote: dock at a station, go to contacts and claim the bounty there.
I've claimed over a million cr in bounties before this bug struck, I have a pretty good idea how to claim them ;)
In all seriousness this bug appears to manifest itself if bounty hunting with other CMDRs in the same area either open or private group.
The bounty is GONE, no refresh, go and collect nothing,, it's gone as if it never happened.

I confirmed the bug is only present in instances of multi-player as I went off and done my own thing leaving my friend to farm another system, while we were apart all was well, but when we worked together bounty rewards were almost random whether we'd get them or not.
oh, that's bad. :o

g04tn4d0
x4

Post by g04tn4d0 » Sat, 27. Dec 14, 17:46

I'm glad I haven't experienced that bug, yet! I hope they get it fixed soon! That said, just trolling the systems... looking for bounties is all I really do in ED at the moment.

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Mon, 29. Dec 14, 08:51

Was playing Solo tonight and as I was approaching the station after I hit wheels down I get a message about hull integrity and then boom, i explode. About 1.6m credits down the drain, and now I am broke. I think it happened because I selected wheels down from the right hand menu instead of hitting the button. I was messing around with it earlier and thought I should try it out because i was already on the menu... Big mistake.

I am starting to remember why I wanted an offline mode to start with, this is turning out to be like playing a modified dead is dead game... There needs to be cargo insurance like yesterday also....

Submitted a bug report, oh joy... I am sure they are going to say I hit the self destruct button by accident, why does that exist, or that I was in silent running and didn't know it.

Edit: Apparently I am not the only one this has happened too recently. People are saying it takes 2 to 3 WEEKS to hear back from anyone about getting lost credits restored after a glitch. Considering this is the holidays I am about ready to just give up on ED, at least I didn't loose my asp like some people are reporting, game glitches out and doesn't let them take out a loan.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Mon, 29. Dec 14, 17:13

RoverTX wrote: I am starting to remember why I wanted an offline mode to start with, this is turning out to be like playing a modified dead is dead game... There needs to be cargo insurance like yesterday also....
How do you activate your landing gear from a menu? Are you sure you weren't disabling some systems instead? :) Also, always have good shields installed. I rammed the station on my Type 6 several times just because I was distracted when exiting supercruise and I had no hull damage.
And yes, I hate the clowd-based save because I feel reluctant to try things. I kinda found a workaround with hotkeying the following command
killtask /f /im EliteDangerous32.exe
If you manage to trigger it before you are fully destroyed, the game will only remember some of your recent progress and you might be able to recover easyer.

PS. you won't believe how many ridiculous idiots are out there on frontier forums. You put a similar message there and they would come in numbers telling you to learn to fly your ship ;) I suspect part of them are alpha backers and we essentially got idiot-driven design there :)

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Mon, 29. Dec 14, 21:02

I wasn't anywhere near the station I had just exited supers-cruise. Its the last menu on the right hand side. Shift or Button trigger, than the last menu, and you hit it where it says "Landing Gear".

I sold some expensive modules and started bounty hunting again. I took out 7 ships for a total of 90k credits, while taking hull damage down to 63. It cost 63k to repair back to full. There isn't anyway to make any real money bounty hunting either. The pay scale is all jacked. I am about ready to sell my ASP go back to a Type 6 and just do some space trucking... but thats just boring as all get out...
PS. you won't believe how many ridiculous idiots are out there on frontier forums. You put a similar message there and they would come in numbers telling you to learn to fly your ship Wink I suspect part of them are alpha backers and we essentially got idiot-driven design there Smile
I am starting to get the same feeling. It was fun while it lasted but there isn't anything there beyond the first layer. It also kind of bothers me that there isn't much difference in the way systems look, or play. O well back to X3... How a game with an engine from 2005 still keeps my interests I will never know...

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Tue, 30. Dec 14, 00:02

RoverTX wrote:I wasn't anywhere near the station I had just exited supers-cruise. Its the last menu on the right hand side. Shift or Button trigger, than the last menu, and you hit it where it says "Landing Gear".
Found it, that should work fine. You sure you haven't triggered the silent running by a mistake?

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Tue, 30. Dec 14, 00:14

I thought about that but my shields where up and my in game console wasn't smoking at all, so no... :(

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Tue, 30. Dec 14, 12:07

ED has a huge depth problem.

XR has more depth.

most of the time in ED you're in supercruise waiting for USS to appear, or just slowing down, slowly, even though your ship is capable of slowing down instantly when coming out of hyperspace.

this game should have been more fun!

blowing up an anaconda was a lot less fun than i thought. i just flew around and fired a few shots at it and it eventually blew up.

a fair review from metacritic by someone named C_M_K
Currently Elite has a decent framework in place, but there's no real 'game' there -- you can literally experience all of the content in a few hours and it changes extremely little regardless of what system you go to or what ship you're flying.

Pros:
Very pretty (aside from the painfully dated and barely functional HUD).
Amazing sound.
A gazillion star systems to go 'explore'.

Cons:
Every single gameplay system -- trading, mining, pirating, bounty hunting -- is simplistic in the extreme, most are broken in one way or another, and frankly all of it has been done far better elsewhere.

Eleventy gazillion systems to explore means little when the vast, vast bulk of them are basically identical.

Multiplayer? What's that? The game's multiplayer features are so barebones as to essentially be nonexistent.

Online only. This wouldn't be a con if the netcode (especially the perplexing decision to go with P2P architecture in an online-only game) wasn't so flaky, if there were actual multiplayer features that worked, or if there was, well, any meaningful reason whatsoever for it the game to be online, but the netcode is flaky as hell, there aren't meaningful (or even usable) multiplayer features, and there's no real reason for the game to need to be online-only other than as DRM.

Basically Frontier has created a universe simulation that you, the player, have little to no effect on. It's a place where you can fly around and see the same systems, the same stations, and the same ships 400 billion times. Sadly they forgot to include any gameplay beyond the most barebones in there.

At best the game is being pushed out the door six months too early, at worst Frontier has actually made the game they intended and they really do think that copying a thirty year old game with some new graphics will do well. Either way, best to avoid this one for a while and see if they eventually actually add some gameplay before it crashes and burns.
he gave it a 4. i'd give it a 5. it's a pretty good framework.

p.s. kick me in the ass if i ever again buy an always-online shit -.-

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 30. Dec 14, 13:17

vukica wrote:ED has a huge depth problem.

XR has more depth.
I'm tempted to agree, although I wouldn't have put it quite like that. What passes for an "economy" in ED is much less complex than that in X3. When you add to this that no npc ships actually impact the game state itself (ie if a you blow a ship containing x up, on its way to y, then y won't have less of x as a result), it's a pretty poor facsimile of a background simulation. That having been said I don't know how it's possible to actually simulate this when you have millions of star systems and stations, and ships. In that regard it's mind-bogglingly huge, and would be extremely expensive in compute terms. So, whilst I understand the abstraction, I don't like it.

I do like the way the influence system is meant to work, but I think it's a bit broken at the moment.

The way USS' work is lousy, though I don't know how they could get round this.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 30. Dec 14, 13:21

RegisterMe wrote:That having been said I don't know how it's possible to actually simulate this when you have millions of star systems and stations, and ships. In that regard it's mind-bogglingly huge, and would be extremely expensive in compute terms. So, whilst I understand the abstraction, I don't like it.
Surely one of the few advantages of having the game online-only is that all those calculations can be done on a server farm somewhere, leaving your PC free to render graphics etc?

Return to “Off Topic English”