Anime/Manga Review

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

clakclak
x3

Anime/Manga Review

Post by clakclak » Mon, 5. May 14, 00:22

Inspired by, Chips new avatar (Mikasa Ackerman) form Shingeki no Kyojin, I thought it would be a good time for a Anime/Manga Review threat. We have one for books too so why not anime/Manga? Reviewing a light novel is also appreciated.

I will make the start here with "Angel Beats!", the Anime not the Manga or Light Novel.

I will summon the plot really quickly without spoiling more than the first ten minutes, after this is not something where I have to give my opinion I will just quote another summary:
angelbeats.wikia wrote:Yuzuru arrives in the middle of a battle without a single memory of his past. He stumbles upon a girl who is aiming a sniper rifle at a younger-looking girl with silver hair from a distance. This girl, who would later introduce herself as Yuri, also explains the comings and goings of this unfamiliar world called the afterlife, and that she wants Yuzuru to enlist to the Shinda Sekai Sensen (Afterlife War Front) or SSS, a renegade group aimed to confront God for the misfortunes of its members.
Angel beats is more than just the Shinda Sekai Sensen fighting against god, a huge part of the series are flashbacks, which show the actuall missfortune, the member's experienced in there life.

Unlike it might sound this is actually is a series that has a lot of funny parts. The "afterlife" acts mostly as a funny setting, while the flashbacks can get pretty dark and serious.
Spoiler
Show

Now my opinion.

What did I like about the series?

The mix between the serious moments and the fun is really good. Especially the episode Guild (the second one) is something that really is stuck in my mind, because it had a great funny part, but it also showed what the series was capable of when getting serious.

The soundtrack has to be mentioned too. Sometimes it is implemented directly into the story, because the fictional band Girl's Dead Monster play's some concert's. To get a good sound for this fictional band, a real band was formed. If you want to get a little taste of what the sountrack sounds like just look here:Girls Dead Monster Crow Song

Also there are some interesting plot twists. If you like or hate them is up to you, I heard many opinion's (good and bad) about one of the twists.

What did I not like?

The end. It came to sudden and was way to long and sentimental.

A few more information, that might be intersting.

Drawing style: The style is good, but nothing special. Really not mutch to say here, pretty standard.

Fanservice: On a level from 1 to Black Lagoon (or 10) the fanservice would be relativly low, but there is some. (If that is good or not is up to you to dicide, I was happy that is was relativly limited, because it does not fit the series like it does for exarmple in Black Lagoon.)

Voice Over: The voice over (japanese) is really good. I am sorry but that is the only one I watched. After there is no way someone would mistake this for a kids series I would assume that the english voice over is at least not a 4kids dub.

Like always feel free to correct grammatical mistakes I made. When learning a language like english it is easy to start, but hard to master at all times.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Mon, 5. May 14, 01:34

I've watched two recently.

Attack on Titan (English sub)
Brilliant, absolutely loved it. Great setting and so much lore mystery to think about. The plot is decent, not amazing, but acceptable. Lotsa gore too, which is +1 in my books.
Sometimes it seems a little bit rushed and I felt sometimes time was skipped which could have been interesting to watch more of for the sake of character progression/development.
I've recommended it to a few people and they've all liked it. Even my girlfriend who never watched anime before liked it.

Gundam 00
Sci-fi/future based. Lots of action and a quite good storyline. Separated into two main arcs and both pretty engaging making you want to watch one more every session. Only downside it seems some plotlines are forgotten about or just have endings which aren't quite up to expectation, although the main plot imo is very good.
It also has a movie but its very mediocre. The end is a bit like 'wtf....'. Okay but could have been a lot better.
Series - great
Movie - meh

Some older ones:
Outlaw Star
Cheesy but pretty good with a really catchy theme tune (Link to theme tune.
Not very many episodes, sadly. The ship design is a bit of an acquired taste. Melee in space ships, anyone?
6/10, wouldn't recommend to everyone based on that I think it has more of a niche target audience, but I liked it.

ZOIDS
Perhaps more for younger audiences with animal-like mechs but I do really like the plot for the first and I think second arcs. But there is a season where its based on a totally different set of characters and I never got into that bit.
But the plot for the first lot is one of my favourites.
Also, some of the mechs look fantastic:
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Mon, 5. May 14, 02:38

Oh boy oh boy, an anime review thread!

Time to expand my inner geekiness!!!

Let's start with something old, obscure but brilliant: Legend of the Galactic heroes

Before I start I have to make something clear: It is my firm belief that Japanese writers are incapable of writing a proper military environment. Legend of the Galactic heroes is close to be the exception but fails is certain areas.

The story is set to the distant future, a war is raging between the Free Alliance planets and the Galactic Empire for decade. This conflict that involves thousands of ships and millions of soldiers has been a bloody stalemate for decades but now with the advent of two gifted admirals at both sides things are about to change; leaving nothing intact.

It is obvious from the very first episode that Legend of the Galactic heroes is dated, the art style is old and the way the story progresses is heavily narrated. That however is a minor detractor to the brilliance of the characters, the political intrigue and the underlying plots that run throughout the story.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Mon, 5. May 14, 03:19

ZOIIDS
Perhaps more for younger audiences with animal-like mechs but I do really like the plot for the first and I think second arcs. But there is a season where its based on a totally different set of characters and I never got into that bit.
But the plot for the first lot is one of my favourites.
Also, some of the mechs look fantastic
I had loads of ZOIDS toys as a kid. They were also dinosaurs. They had little men, silver or gold depending on their team, that sat in their heads. The men were only about 1.5cm, and I had a Zoidzilla that stood about a foot tall for one to ride in 8)
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Chobittsu
x4

Post by Chobittsu » Mon, 5. May 14, 04:49

I came running, did someone say ANIME THREAD?! :D
Dragoongfa wrote:Legend of the Galactic heroes
Not to mention that it's about tactics and not fancy gunplay

[ external image ]

For all you classical anime fans out there, guess what's back.

For those of you who already know this series, you don't need any convincing. For those that don't, I present you with Space Battleship Yamato, the jewel in the crown of Japanese sci-fi. The show that inspired the majority of manga-ka and anime development. The series that opened the door to anime popularity in the west.

Personally, this ship and it's crew are what got me interested in Japan to the point of obsession. Before Yamato, I was just like "Oh, neat.", but since this series entered my life, a torrent of culture followed in it's wake.
Thus, I can't rate this show... I'm VERY biased. So I'll just give you Wiki's synopsis and links to the reboot series and let you decide for yourself.

Aliens from the planet Gamilas attack Earth with radiation bombs and reduce the lush planet into a wasteland with humanity forced underground. However, in 2199, a friendly alien race from the planet Iscandar contacts the humans and gives them the blueprints to build a powerful warship capable of retrieving a device, the Cosmo Reverse System, to cleanse the planet before humanity disappears. The United Nations Cosmo Navy - whose space fleets have been mauled by Gamilan forces - resurrects the long-sunken battleship Yamato and applies the alien technology to its interior, transforming it into the vessel for which the series is named: Space Battleship Yamato.

Over the course of the series, the Yamato and its crew are continuously harassed by Gamilan forces on Jupiter, the moons of Saturn, and Pluto. As the Yamato battles its way out of the Solar System and the Milky Way Galaxy, Gamilas leader Abelt Dessler takes a personal interest in the unusually advanced and seemingly unstoppable Earth vessel. Suspicious of Iscandar's involvement in the humans' quest, Dessler schemes to stop the Yamato at all costs before it can fulfill its mission - even as political intrigues plague his empire. To this end he orders his top military commanders and most sophisticated spacecraft into the fight, putting the determination of the Yamato crew to even more rigorous tests as they cope with questions about their mission and strange incidents aboard their own ship.

http://www.gogoanime.com/category/uchuu ... amato-2199

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Mon, 5. May 14, 06:40

I recently came across a newly released Captain Harlock Space Pirate at my local movie rental store. Good enough for me to recommend it despite the usual weird manga plot/kooky storyline. Excellent space visuals, architecture, characters. Beautifully designed universe overall.

http://harlockmovie.com/

http://kotaku.com/harlock-space-pirate- ... 1281027164

6/5/14 Edit; corrected my incorrect webpage path for the kotaku review...
Last edited by ThommoHawk on Tue, 6. May 14, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

Chobittsu
x4

Post by Chobittsu » Mon, 5. May 14, 10:07

(It should be noted that Captain Harlock and Space Battleship Yamato are by the same creator)

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 15. May 14, 01:00

I really thought long if I should make a reviwe about my favourite anime. I will but I am not gonna try to interpretationanything, because I can't.

So I bring you the the Monogatari Serie's.

I assume that everyone already at least heared about it. But I will act like nobody knows it.

What can I say about this show? Hmmm. It is different. And that is about it.

No seriously it is interesting, because of it's dialoge. That and a brilinat art style, that looks like the budget must have been endless, are what makes this show. There is also a plot. A confusing one. To be honest, I would even watch the show if it was only contextless conversation's because the conversation's are simple that good.

I doubt that everyone will like this show. If you hate fanservice, stay away. If you want to see a lot of action, stay away too. There are some over the top action scenes but not many. If you want to see something different and the thought of watching people talk...and talk even more, does not scare you then you should give it a try. But watch out there are also some really "japanese" scenes. For everyone who saw it already and wonders what I am talking about (I think everyone knows it), I only say one word "toothbrush". There are simple scenes where you just think :"Why is this here. I feel wrong watching this." But then on the other hand the series is just to good to stop at least for me.

I strongly recommend watching this one in the japanese dub. (I think there is no other version anyway.)

If someone else saw the show and wants to give his/her thoughts, please do. I think me "review" was not so great, but it is kind of hard to talk about this series, in a way somone who did not see it, gets what it's all about.

I will put an other really funny and from me recommended video-Review about the same show in here: Anime Zone: Bakemonogatari & Nisemonogatari Anime Review

I am currently watching "Baccano!" any thoughts about that show?
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 15. May 14, 01:12

I'm currently watching "Silver Spoon" :P

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Thu, 15. May 14, 01:43

clakclak wrote:So I bring you the the Monogatari Serie's
I actually wanted to start watching that, then looked at the number of seasons (all of which are named differently, seriously - are bakemonogatari, bla-bla-gatari and this even the same series?), and decided that I don't have the time to start watching it yet

I am almost certain that I will like its style though, I thought Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei was quite good (its also animated by Shaft if I am not mistaken) and out of the currently airing series Mekaku City Actors is the only one I look forward too (same studio once again)
I am currently watching "Baccano!" any thoughts about that show?
its alright, though I actually prefer the english dub for it (it just bothers me to hear one american call another one Rachel-kun :D )

Now, I have recently finished watching Psycho Pass, it was alright, basically its Minority Report the anime, but its quite enjoyable (I am a sucker for cyberpunk and not so distant sci-fi though, so I am biased)

Also I already mentioned Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, which in my opinion is an alright comedy, but it can get tiring if you marathon it (it did not get tiring to me, but hey). It has good OP's/ED's, it has amusing moments, and is quite "self-aware" (its normal for characters to point out that a scene is obvious fanservice for example), overall worth a watch (oh and clackclack since you like Shafts work you might like the artstyle in this one too)
"If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them"

lets pretend november 15 never happened

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 15. May 14, 02:07

Jumee wrote:
clakclak wrote:So I bring you the the Monogatari Serie's
Jumee wrote:I actually wanted to start watching that, then looked at the number of seasons (all of which are named differently, seriously - are bakemonogatari, bla-bla-gatari and this even the same series?), and decided that I don't have the time to start watching it yet

I am almost certain that I will like its style though, I thought Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei was quite good (its also animated by Shaft if I am not mistaken) and out of the currently airing series Mekaku City Actors is the only one I look forward too (same studio once again)
Bakemonogatari is the first, (not the first in the timeline, but the first you should watch). You don't need to watch all of them. Most of the time they are split up in chapter's of 4-8 episodes that more or less are standealone. I really recommend the review I linked, it gives a good (yet different) impression than I got from the series.
Jumee wrote:
clakclak wrote:I am currently watching "Baccano!" any thoughts about that show?
Jumee wrote:its alright, though I actually prefer the english dub for it (it just bothers me to hear one american call another one Rachel-kun :D )
Jumee wrote:Now, I have recently finished watching Psycho Pass, it was alright, basically its Minority Report the anime, but its quite enjoyable (I am a sucker for cyberpunk and not so distant sci-fi though, so I am biased)

Also I already mentioned Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, which in my opinion is an alright comedy, but it can get tiring if you marathon it (it did not get tiring to me, but hey). It has good OP's/ED's, it has amusing moments, and is quite "self-aware" (its normal for characters to point out that a scene is obvious fanservice for example), overall worth a watch (oh and clackclack since you like Shafts work you might like the artstyle in this one too)
Psycho Pass is also on my long list. :D I am really looking foreward to that one.

I have to be honest. I never heared of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei before, although I saw some pictures of it. Something like pointing out fanservice seems to be normal for shaft. :D In bakemonogatari there is also a scene where a line of dialoge is something like: "Yes we can do this scene, my voice actress is really good."
Chips wrote:I'm currently watching "Silver Spoon" :P
Gin no Saji? Any thoughts on it you want to share? :)

I also recently read kimi koi limit, which I only can explain with.....well I was drunk. I found it to be actually an interesting yet not really deep, but somewhat entertaining read. From start on you know how it will end, but I don't really know why, for some reason I liked it. But than again I was really quite drunk. It should also be mentioned that kimi koi limit is mostly listed in the "adult" category. So if you come home from a party give it a try. :D

Lyth
x4

Post by Lyth » Mon, 19. May 14, 18:52

I loved Legend of Galactic Heroes. :)

Chances are if you are reading this thread you have already watched it but with the exception of Macross Frontier and planetes which were very good too I would have to very strongly recommend anyone who has not watched it to watch Space Brothers (Uchū Kyōdai). Family orientated anime yes but hopefully a taste of what the future of anime will be like. Is a very good reason it won so many awards if you haven't watched it. I waited years for the new Harlock movie, the CGI was breathtaking but admit to being a little disappointed with the story.

Space Brothers (Uchū Kyōdai), you are welcome. :)
Take it easy, If you can't - Take it by force.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 19. May 14, 20:35

Did not see it.....must watch now! :D

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Mon, 19. May 14, 20:49

Hmm...

Time for a big one...

Stein's Gate.

The premise is simple: take the John Titor hoax and the pseudo science behind it; and turn everything into a series.

It had so many ways into turning into a complete disaster but it somehow turned itself into a brilliant series with plenty of emotive scenes. Plenty of pseudo sciences (with down to earth explanations) and without any action scenes to speak of. It provokes thought and shows what may happen if ordinary people (by anime standards) get too much power on their hands.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 22. May 14, 19:22

Dragoongfa wrote:Hmm...

Time for a big one...

Stein's Gate.

The premise is simple: take the John Titor hoax and the pseudo science behind it; and turn everything into a series.

It had so many ways into turning into a complete disaster but it somehow turned itself into a brilliant series with plenty of emotive scenes. Plenty of pseudo sciences (with down to earth explanations) and without any action scenes to speak of. It provokes thought and shows what may happen if ordinary people (by anime standards) get too much power on their hands.
There are lost of shows I really need to watch. :D Steins Gate is also on the list.
Last edited by clakclak on Fri, 20. Jun 14, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Thu, 22. May 14, 20:46

Freya, I gotta thank you. Space Battleship Yamato was brilliant - loved watching it!
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Mon, 7. Jul 14, 22:22

Time to rez this one because I just finished a big one...

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Where to start and where to finish...

Short version:

Just watch it and stick with it, you won't regret it.

Long version:

As the US comics have superheroes, the Japanese comics have Magical girls.

Adolescent and pre adolescent girls who vanquish evil with magic, the power of love, friendship and cuteness.

It's weird, it's ridiculous, it's popular but most of all; if it wasn't a thing in Japan then this magnificent deconstruction of the genre wouldn't have happened.

It starts slow and with ridiculously predictable tropes but that's there to set up one of the greatest mindwarping twists and tearjerkers around.

The show made me do something that I rarely do these days...

It made me cry...

Now there is the show and there are the movies.

They are both the same story and the third movie is a continuation from where the series stopped.

The movies are somewhat more condensed but they are not cutting anything crucial and the mind games are still there.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 7. Jul 14, 22:38

Dragoongfa wrote:The movies are somewhat more condensed but they are not cutting anything crucial and the mind games are still there.
not really condensed imo - Hajimari no monogatari and Eien no monogatari each run for about 2 hours -> almost 4 hours as whole, the Series as whole is about 5 Hours long, if you substract 5 minutes for OP, ED and Preview/Review per Episode it is almost the same length ;) although i recommend at least 3 Watches - first original TV Version, then Bluray Version and as last the Movies, because with each re-watch you will recognize details you didnt notice before and first odd actions of the Characters (especially Homura) now make more sense or have a complete diffrent motive than you first thought. Additionally the Visuals get better because Studio Shaft is known for Polishing their Bluray-Release compared to the TV Version, and with the Theatrical Version they set two on top of that :D
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Tue, 8. Jul 14, 00:04

I've watched a couple more since my posts.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Really enjoyed it with good focus on inter-character relationships but a little disappointed with how little combat there was for a mecha-anime. Also the original ending is an absolute WTF, apparently the studio ran out of money for it and just had to do it all as some kind of slide show. The ending was re-done in the form of a movie closer to what the rest of the show was like but it was still very, very weird.
- Some shocking moments, some controversial moments (there's constant flirting between characters with sexual comments made despite them being in their early teens).
- I'd give it a good 7/10 "worth a watch".

Ghost In The Shell
- Found it a little difficult to get into at the beginning but after sticking with it I really started to enjoy it. There are these robotic things called Tachikomas and they are quite funny but some conversations they have which seemed to be the shows way of describing things to the audience were really heavy and not easy to understand.
- Plenty of action, lots of fighting. I have yet to see the very last episode but it looks to have a great ending.
- 8/10 "better than most"
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,

Chobittsu
x4

Post by Chobittsu » Tue, 8. Jul 14, 00:19

Not sure if we've covered Attack on Titan yet
I just scooped up the dubbed version, only a few bits weren't as good as the Japanese audio but it was well done[/url]

Return to “Off Topic English”