Elite: Dangerous (continued)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Pesanur
x4

Re: Elite: Dangerous (continued)

Post by Pesanur » Sat, 8. Feb 20, 19:14

Chips wrote:
Sat, 1. Feb 20, 23:03
You can still play online right?
Is another way to play it? Elite: Dangerous need to be online even for solo play. :evil:

PlutonianNyborg

Post by PlutonianNyborg » Thu, 2. Apr 20, 10:15

I played Elite D for 5 years. I have gone as far as I can with it. The new Fleet Carriers have been announced but at 5 billion a pop thats out of my price range. It took me 5 years to get a billion with another 2 in ship assets. I'm not grinding another five years for one. Thats why I play No Mans Sky and got back into X3 & X3TC again. When I get some spare cash I'm going to get X4F at some point. Elite has so much potential but they are so dragging their heels. SC, NMS and X4 are racing ahead. I don't believe Elite will go away anytime soon but if the big December 2020 update isn't up to scratch they will be also rans.

Just my opinion.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 21:01

The base game is on offer at £5.00 on Steam, so I thought 'why not.' Bit confused as to what the £140.00 collection is available with it, but assume it's to milk those willing to pay for additional content.

I played the very original Elite, on a BBC Model B* as I remember, and I'm pretty sure I paid a lot more than a fiver for the game back in 1984 or whatever it was.

Really hoping the learning curve isn't too steep, because I'm old and dim-witted now... :(

*Might've been an Amstrad 6128 or an Atari ST, cos I had those back in that era too.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 22:04

Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 21. Nov 20, 21:01
Bit confused as to what the £140.00 collection is available with it, but assume it's to milk those willing to pay for additional content.
That's the Frontier Developments 25th anniversary collection, including lots of games that have nothing to do with ED. ;)
Gavrushka wrote:
*Might've been an Amstrad 6128 or an Atari ST, cos I had those back in that era too.
You had it right the first time; it was a BBC Micro game. There were ports to other systems, but I don't think either of those was among them.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 22:06

Gavrushka wrote:
The base game is on offer at £5.00 on Steam,
It's currently free on the Epic store.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 22:23

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 21. Nov 20, 22:04
You had it right the first time; it was a BBC Micro game. There were ports to other systems, but I don't think either of those was among them.
CTD on trying to play combat demo (while attempting to switch from keyboard/mouse to a controller) which never happened on my Model B. That's 36 years of progress for you...
felter wrote:It's currently free on the Epic store.
Gah, wish you were prescient. :P

Anyhow, with my 1st experience being a CTD, I may not return to it again. Me and my idiotic impulsive purchases... :oops:

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 22:31

According to Wikipedia it was eventually ported to just about everything, including Amstrad CPC and the Atari St.

I know it was ported to the Amiga because I played that version. Of course they made a few changes. the Amiga version had filled in
graphics instead of the traditional wireframe. I know it's heresy to admit it but I preferred the Amiga graphics.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 22:45

brucewarren wrote:
Sat, 21. Nov 20, 22:31
I know it's heresy to admit it but I preferred the Amiga graphics.
:rant:

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 22:54

Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 21. Nov 20, 22:23
CBJ wrote:
Sat, 21. Nov 20, 22:04
CTD on trying to play combat demo (while attempting to switch from keyboard/mouse to a controller) which never happened on my Model B. That's 36 years of progress for you...
felter wrote:It's currently free on the Epic store.
Gah, wish you were prescient. :P

Anyhow, with my 1st experience being a CTD, I may not return to it again. Me and my idiotic impulsive purchases... :oops:
If you've played less than 2hrs you can get an automatic refund from Steam.

As for Elite itself, it's very pretty and the sound design is next level, but the game is... dull. It's one of my gaming purchase regrets that I stumped up £100 for the premium alpha or beta that gave you the game and all future addons. So, so dull.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 22:59

I've played zero minutes, I guess... Load screen, altered settings and a CTD.

Still, I'll keep it, but wish I'd read a few posts on here prior to purchasing.

I'd nearly bought Titanfall 2, instead, but was put off by the optional? monthly subscription.

Hell, I may just have to go back to Runescape after a six+ year hiatus... :|

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 23:27

Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 21. Nov 20, 22:59
I've played zero minutes, I guess... Load screen, altered settings and a CTD.

Still, I'll keep it, but wish I'd read a few posts on here prior to purchasing.

I'd nearly bought Titanfall 2, instead, but was put off by the optional? monthly subscription.

Hell, I may just have to go back to Runescape after a six+ year hiatus... :|
Titanfall 2 has one of the best single player campaigns I've played in my 30 years+ gaming. It's not overly long (looking at you, Witcher 3) and is genuinely fun to play. I don't remember any subscription related stuff being in it when I played it a couple of weeks ago?

But would thoroughly, thoroughly recommend TF2 single player. :)

EDIT: Are you on about EA Play? Ignore that - that's the monthly subsciption that will let you have access to certain EA games without actually buying them outright. It won't affect your TF2 experience.

EDIT2: Sod it - I'll buy it you if you won't! Drop me your Steam name in a PM. :D

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 23:38

Haha, bought during your edits, but thanks all the same! :D

And, yes, I see the subscription was listed against Titanfall I, not II.

So now I have to wait for a 65GB download... :shock:

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 23:42

Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 21. Nov 20, 23:38
Haha, bought during your edits, but thanks all the same! :D

And, yes, I see the subscription was listed against Titanfall I, not II.

So now I have to wait for a 65GB download... :shock:
Ah, too slow I was! But glad you took the recommendation! :D

It's a big old game indeed, but worth those GBs IMO. Let us know what you think!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 22. Nov 20, 08:32

brucewarren wrote:
Sat, 21. Nov 20, 22:31
According to Wikipedia it was eventually ported to just about everything, including Amstrad CPC and the Atari St.
Even the Acorn Archimedes got a version, which is generally regarded as the best version of the original Elite--for a start, it actually had NPCs that would have battles with each other, which I'm pretty sure never happened in any other version. (It didn't even happen in Frontier or Frontier: First Encounters--I well remember getting shot up on the landing pad by a pirate so I took off without asking permission first, at which point the police started coming after *me*!).

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 22. Nov 20, 10:35

Tycow wrote:
Sat, 21. Nov 20, 23:42

Ah, too slow I was! But glad you took the recommendation! :D

It's a big old game indeed, but worth those GBs IMO. Let us know what you think!
I thought I had a fast connection, but it still took over an hour...

Installed the Origin software, created the EA account, grumbled a lot about that, but played the tutorial, and love it so far. - One issue I have is aiming a gun with a controller. - I think I'll replay with keyboard and mouse. -I just wish there was an integrated controller with mouse functionality for just the aiming part. Sure I laughed the county awake when I was running the 'under 2 minute' gauntlet tutorial; I was stood in front of an enemy holograph (nose to nose) and couldn't hit the damned thing for 8 seconds according to the timer...
pjknibbs wrote:Even the Acorn Archimedes got a version, which is generally regarded as the best version of the original Elite--for a start, it actually had NPCs that would have battles with each other, which I'm pretty sure never happened in any other version. (It didn't even happen in Frontier or Frontier: First Encounters--I well remember getting shot up on the landing pad by a pirate so I took off without asking permission first, at which point the police started coming after *me*!).
You've just reminded me there was a project to recreate and improve on the original. - I don't want to put links or mention its name in case it wasn't officially sanctioned. - If it's legal, I may just have to try that one out.

And was I the only one to prefer the Frontier (not sure which one, but it was described as 'buggy') - There were planetary bombing missions as I remember, and I just loved the game... I feel many modern games are heavy on 'pretty' but far too light on gameplay.

Oh, and I did get a Steam refund on Elite Dangerous. - I think X4 fills my space sim needs, but I'm not comfortable playing it on my current rig. New one coming soon.

Praefectus classis
x4

Post by Praefectus classis » Sun, 22. Nov 20, 15:52

I did have Elite on the Atari ST. It had filled in graphics like the Amiga version. Before that I had the Atari 800 and I think I had the wire frame version for that. I did have Frontier II and FFE but I think they were on the PC.

I did get Elite: Dangerous for free from Epic. After playing the training session I realise there is quite a big learning curve to master for this game. I'm more used to the X Universe these days.
Reality is an illusion created by a lack of the X-universe
My new forum My original forum

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 31. Dec 20, 19:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nlemilLjQY

So watched the Trailer for the Odyssey Expansion and must say that it looks good until I saw the shooting start. :headbang:

Must be the most wrongly used song in a trailer ever, talk about not getting the point of lyrics... :shock:

MFG

Ketraar

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Mon, 4. Jan 21, 20:48

Ketraar wrote:
Thu, 31. Dec 20, 19:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nlemilLjQY

So watched the Trailer for the Odyssey Expansion and must say that it looks good until I saw the shooting start. :headbang:

Must be the most wrongly used song in a trailer ever, talk about not getting the point of lyrics... :shock:

MFG

Ketraar
Hi Ketraar :)

"2000 Light years from home" (By the Rolling Stones) would have been better imho....there again I do like the Rolling Stones! :D

Pretty miffed at Frontier going for FPS style instead of really upgrading the atmospherics for planets and gas giants, it would have been more fun for me personally. There is talk of new plant life etc. and other 'unknown as yet features' but I'm not holding my breath. Nah!..I'm 69 years old, can't see my reflexes being good enough for fps type play. :(

Oldman :)

Praefectus classis
x4

Post by Praefectus classis » Tue, 5. Jan 21, 12:29

Oldman wrote:
Mon, 4. Jan 21, 20:48

Pretty miffed at Frontier going for FPS style instead of really upgrading the atmospherics for planets and gas giants, it would have been more fun for me personally. There is talk of new plant life etc. and other 'unknown as yet features' but I'm not holding my breath. Nah!..I'm 69 years old, can't see my reflexes being good enough for fps type play. :(

Oldman :)
I agree with you as I'm not that far behind in age. Maybe they are trying to woo a younger audience at the expense of the original Elite players. :(
Reality is an illusion created by a lack of the X-universe
My new forum My original forum

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Sun, 10. Jan 21, 11:12

Have you ever seen a trailer for an action movie where it only showed the great dialogues it had? Hardly, they'll usually show just a frantic montage of shooting and bombastic explosions, because that's what really grabs the attention of the vast majority of potential customers. Now consider that Elite doesn't even have those above mentioned great dialogues at all, they have to stick with shooting. :D

Not particularly looking forward to the shooting part here as well....good thing is, as with many of the things I never did in game so far, I'll simply carry on without it, let's see what they add to the exploration part as well. My main attraction to having legs in Elite will be the same as in X4, oohhing and aahhing around huge parked ships, but most people over there (devs included) seem to consider that as "not meaningful gameplay"...apparently things in games get only meaningful if you can throw glowing stuff at them. :roll:

Return to “Off Topic English”