Elite: Dangerous (continued)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alee Enn
x4

Re: Elite: Dangerous (continued)

Post by Alee Enn » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 19:40

Everyone's pretty much waiting for the "next big thing" in December. That's going to be the make-or-break point for Elite Dangerous.
Frontier are doing their usual silence, taking it for granted that the player base will hang on and come back later in the year.
But many think that if the "next big thing" isn't walking around*, as is rumoured, then that's it for Elite Dangerous, it'll be a matter of when, not if, Frontier declare it dead.

*= Players might accept atmospheric landings, but it's not what's been "leaked" and not what's expected.
Formerly "Alien Tech Inc."

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 20:47

Don't expect too much from the game right now, as they are currently mainly just doing a massive bug repair and are not adding new content.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sat, 1. Feb 20, 21:16

I've not played for over a year now. The straw that broke the camel's back was the update last year that introduced the new exploration method and all my voice attack controls didn't work anymore. I just couldn't be bothered any more. So, my Asp, "Casual Obscenity" is currently abandoned in unoccupied space some 10kly from earth.
A flower?

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 1. Feb 20, 23:03

Wait, it's nearly dead?! Or just it's a bit dull? You can still play online right? I bought it but never actually got around to playing it, but if it's soon to be kaput I should perhaps install and give it a go at least. For nostalgias sake. Also, before Mount and Blade 2:BannerLord is out in March :D

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Sun, 2. Feb 20, 09:48

Chips wrote:
Sat, 1. Feb 20, 23:03
Or just it's a bit dull?
It's always been a bit dull I'm afraid.

I paid £100 for the premium beta back in 2014, and it's one of my biggest gaming purchase regrets.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 2. Feb 20, 13:02

Tycow wrote:
Sun, 2. Feb 20, 09:48
I paid £100 for the premium beta back in 2014, and it's one of my biggest gaming purchase regrets.
Ye gads, if you didn't enjoy it i have a distinct impression i'm not going to. Ah well, will still download/install it at some point - but perhaps not when time is a premium. Cheers!

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Sun, 2. Feb 20, 14:54

Dull? Yes, always been a bit like that as said above. Dead? Luckily far from that, though it's being definitely kept on a "holding pattern" these months, waiting for the next big thing to come up. Will it be space legs? Atmospheric planets? Pachinko lootboxes? Who knows! :D

As for me, still definitely invested in it. There is still lot of player organized gaming going on if you're more the social type and in the right mindset. I've been quite involved into racing for example (Buckyball and Speedbowling), there are the usual PvP, mining and trading groups, explorers, rescue services like the awesome Fuel Rats and Hull Seals, and so on....the game itself is pretty much an empty sandbox by itself, so it's easy to get immediately bored if you don't set yourself a scope and aren't keen into roleplaying it a bit.

Aside from all that, the universe and ships handling are so good that from time to time I just feel the urge to launch the game and randomly fly or drive around some planet with head tracking and full range headphones, just to soak up the scenery.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sun, 2. Feb 20, 16:02

I still play from time to time.

I have an old python which was engineered old way. I've recently decided to re-engineer her the current way. There's no practical
reason to do this, but I feel the old girl deserves it.

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Sun, 2. Feb 20, 21:59

Chips wrote:
Sun, 2. Feb 20, 13:02
Tycow wrote:
Sun, 2. Feb 20, 09:48
Ye gads, if you didn't enjoy it i have a distinct impression i'm not going to. Ah well, will still download/install it at some point - but perhaps not when time is a premium. Cheers!
Don't get me wrong, it had it's moments of enjoyment. Seeing some of the sights of the universe, the first time you dock in a space station, it's sound design... it's a shame they're few and far between. It really is SpaceTruck Simulator.

Oh, and it's UI is awful.

Give it a go and see what you think. :)

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 00:57

I'd hardly call awful its UI, but I guess this comes down to tastes for the most part. I surely appreciate the way in which I can interact with pretty much any ship panel and function via just a hat stick and a couple buttons of the hotas. As for space trucking, even though I find it repetitive I admit it's a nice thing to do on its own, if you are in the mood for it of course. There are times I just love to do some simple "buy here, sell there" in my T-9, slowly bringing the lumbering beast out of dock on auto-launch, waiting to arrive at destination on assisted supercruise and then autodocking once arrived. You hardly do anything in the meantime aside from pointing to a destination and asking for a landing pad, but enjoying the sights and sounds in the meantime is enough of a pastime.

Then when you get bored of that, you can always go shoot someone, somewhere, some way.

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 12:20

Aken_Bosch wrote:
Tue, 4. Feb 20, 00:57
I'd hardly call awful its UI, but I guess this comes down to tastes for the most part. I surely appreciate the way in which I can interact with pretty much any ship panel and function via just a hat stick and a couple buttons of the hotas. As for space trucking, even though I find it repetitive I admit it's a nice thing to do on its own, if you are in the mood for it of course. There are times I just love to do some simple "buy here, sell there" in my T-9, slowly bringing the lumbering beast out of dock on auto-launch, waiting to arrive at destination on assisted supercruise and then autodocking once arrived. You hardly do anything in the meantime aside from pointing to a destination and asking for a landing pad, but enjoying the sights and sounds in the meantime is enough of a pastime.

Then when you get bored of that, you can always go shoot someone, somewhere, some way.
Maybe that was overly harsh. I didn't mind the ship UI when flying about, and operating the marketplace etc. but I seem to recall cursing the navigation UI. It's been a while since I've played.

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 13:25

Oh right, I hear you on that one, it always had definite margins for improvements. Still waiting for a proper implementation of route plotting with intermediate navpoints...

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 16:02

Aken_Bosch wrote:
Tue, 4. Feb 20, 13:25
Still waiting for a proper implementation of route plotting with intermediate navpoints...
I hope you have a comfortable chair then. :-P

One of the most annoying things in Elite is the clunky Universe map, that would really do with a overhaul and include some proper route planing with waypoints and the like.

MFG

Ketraar

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 5. Feb 20, 13:34

Aken_Bosch wrote:
Tue, 4. Feb 20, 00:57
I used to have a thrash about in a buggy! It did take 3 years to get bored including a trip to the other side of the galaxy. The "new" enhancements didn't do anything for me, the plot was pedestrian and it always felt like you were watching something rather than participating.
A flower?

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 6. Feb 20, 18:01

If you want to know how things are going with Elite Dangerous, ObsidianAnt has just released a new video on it and it is looking like the game is going away anytime soon.

Pesanur
x4

Post by Pesanur » Sat, 8. Feb 20, 19:14

Chips wrote:
Sat, 1. Feb 20, 23:03
You can still play online right?
Is another way to play it? Elite: Dangerous need to be online even for solo play. :evil:

PlutonianNyborg

Post by PlutonianNyborg » Thu, 2. Apr 20, 10:15

I played Elite D for 5 years. I have gone as far as I can with it. The new Fleet Carriers have been announced but at 5 billion a pop thats out of my price range. It took me 5 years to get a billion with another 2 in ship assets. I'm not grinding another five years for one. Thats why I play No Mans Sky and got back into X3 & X3TC again. When I get some spare cash I'm going to get X4F at some point. Elite has so much potential but they are so dragging their heels. SC, NMS and X4 are racing ahead. I don't believe Elite will go away anytime soon but if the big December 2020 update isn't up to scratch they will be also rans.

Just my opinion.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 21:01

The base game is on offer at £5.00 on Steam, so I thought 'why not.' Bit confused as to what the £140.00 collection is available with it, but assume it's to milk those willing to pay for additional content.

I played the very original Elite, on a BBC Model B* as I remember, and I'm pretty sure I paid a lot more than a fiver for the game back in 1984 or whatever it was.

Really hoping the learning curve isn't too steep, because I'm old and dim-witted now... :(

*Might've been an Amstrad 6128 or an Atari ST, cos I had those back in that era too.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 22:04

Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 21. Nov 20, 21:01
Bit confused as to what the £140.00 collection is available with it, but assume it's to milk those willing to pay for additional content.
That's the Frontier Developments 25th anniversary collection, including lots of games that have nothing to do with ED. ;)
Gavrushka wrote:
*Might've been an Amstrad 6128 or an Atari ST, cos I had those back in that era too.
You had it right the first time; it was a BBC Micro game. There were ports to other systems, but I don't think either of those was among them.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 22:06

Gavrushka wrote:
The base game is on offer at £5.00 on Steam,
It's currently free on the Epic store.

Return to “Off Topic English”