Elite: Dangerous (continued)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Tue, 10. Jan 17, 15:55

muppetts wrote:I am getting into Elite but I still prefer the depth of setting up my own systems, stations etc that an X2 or 3 offers and while that maybe single player, I have 80 hours in Elite and I am still yet to see (let alone interact) with a single other player, so I am not sure it is that silly a comparison.
What's your in game name? If you make "friends" you can see where they are and send in game messages. I'm flying around in the Fleetcomm group most of the time and occasionally meet up with other players or bump into them around the bubble. Most of my "friends" were met on the "Distant Worlds" trip to Beagle Point, although I have a few from here and another forum I visit. If you visit the alien ruins on Synuefe xr-h d11-102 - I'm sure you'll meet a few commanders - if you go go in Open I suspect some will be hostile.
A flower?

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Wed, 11. Jan 17, 08:39

Mission for 100 million :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6eiSto ... ure=em-lss

Hey Redvers, I am cool tooling about on my own, was trying to make more of a point that ED has as much of a SP feel as MP and can be compared in many ways to a SP game like X Games!

Will put in game name up when I get back on PC!
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 11. Jan 17, 09:46

I'm about to do that mission so if anyone wants to meet up or needs some help look me up I've the same CMDR name.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Wed, 11. Jan 17, 11:14

I'm sure if anyone knows me from the forums knows how many times I have posted about needed Exploration and misterious stuff for X games, being Rebirth, previous or future iterations.

So when I found out about what some of you have commented already, the alien encounter in ED:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT4OIknJ0H4

I can safely say. This is it! This is the way! This is what I've been expecting from a Space game since I played Wing Commander Privateer and found the Steltek carrier. Finally ED has shown "THE WAY" to what I have been yearning for in a Space game for so many years.

The difference now is the amazing graphics, the glorious sound effects and the modern technology.

This is how Space Games should be done! Well done to Frontier Games. Well done, damn it!

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 11. Jan 17, 16:33

ezra-r wrote:So when I found out about what some of you have commented already, the alien encounter in ED:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT4OIknJ0H4
The audio reminded me a little bit 'Close Encounters' with an echo of 'Space Odyssey'
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 11. Jan 17, 18:10

The audio effects are stunning, it must be one of the best VR experiences around and some useful pointers for ES when they work on the XR VR edition.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 11. Jan 17, 18:34

I have to admit that the cockpit experience in Elite is about the best around, the control system, audio and visuals are a benchmark for others to emulate and struggle to surpass.
Yes ..I did expect the glass to shatter and a five note sequence to follow...

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Thu, 12. Jan 17, 20:30

But it's not just the graphics and sounds, which are gorgeous, the thrill of the unknown they just added with the crash sites, the varnacles and now this misterious alien ships taking players out of hyperjump and scanning., what is that Alien? What is it doing exactly? What it will do next? So cool!

Lots of people going to the area to see it for theirselves, etc..

Simply amazin!

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sat, 14. Jan 17, 16:23

Two Thrustmaster T-16000M's bought, and promptly Windows only sees one stick twice. By using the Thrustmaster Target software I've re-mapped most of the switches to use the remaining USB DX?? slots, with the remaining four switches given NULL values, too stop inadvertent key presses. The axis on the left stick have been mapped to there rotational equivalents.

I chose the NULL key to be the ones nearest the base of the stick.

The calibration software sees all 28 buttons, 6 axis, two throttles/sliders and both four way hat switches, one of which uses four USB button designations.

I've included the codes, as they currently stand, but all things are still subject to change, as I've yet to test them in game, due to work and illness.

Fingers crossed for the first outing.

Code: Select all

include "target.tmh"
int main()
{
	Configure(&HCougar, MODE_EXCLUDED);
	Configure(&Joystick, MODE_EXCLUDED);
	Configure(&Throttle, MODE_EXCLUDED);
	Configure(&LMFD, MODE_EXCLUDED);
	Configure(&RMFD, MODE_EXCLUDED);
	Configure(&TFRPRudder, MODE_EXCLUDED);
	Configure(&TWCSThrottle, MODE_EXCLUDED);
	if(Init(&EventHandle)) return 1;
	SetKBRate(32, 50);
	SetKBLayout(KB_ENG);
	SetShiftButton(0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
	MapAxis(&T16000, JOYX, DX_X_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);
	SetSCurve(&T16000, JOYX, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
	MapAxis(&T16000, JOYY, DX_Y_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);
	SetSCurve(&T16000, JOYY, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
	MapAxis(&T16000, RUDDER, DX_Z_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);
	SetSCurve(&T16000, RUDDER, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
	MapAxis(&T16000, THR, DX_SLIDER_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);
	SetSCurve(&T16000, THR, 0, 5, 0, 0, 0);
// Trigger switches on the left stick
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, TS1, 0, DX17, 0, DX17, 0, DX17);
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, TS2, 0, DX18, 0, DX18, 0, DX18);
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, TS3, 0, DX19, 0, DX19, 0, DX19);
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, TS4, 0, DX20, 0, DX20, 0, DX20);
// Base switches re-mapped for the left stick
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, B5, 0, DX26, 0, DX26, 0, DX26);
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, B6, 0, DX25, 0, DX25, 0, DX25);
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, B7, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, B8, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, B9, 0, DX27, 0, DX27, 0, DX27);
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, B10, 0, DX28, 0, DX28, 0, DX28);
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, B11, 0, DX29, 0, DX29, 0, DX29);
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, B12, 0, DX30, 0, DX30, 0, DX30);
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, B13, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, B14, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, B15, 0, DX32, 0, DX32, 0, DX32);
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, B16, 0, DX31, 0, DX31, 0, DX31);
// Hat switch for the left stick
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, H1U, 0, DX21, 0, DX21, 0, DX21);
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, H1R, 0, DX22, 0, DX22, 0, DX22);
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, H1D, 0, DX23, 0, DX23, 0, DX23);
	MapKeyIOUMD(&T16000L, H1L, 0, DX24, 0, DX24, 0, DX24);
// Axis re-map on the left stick, including dead zones 
	MapAxis(&T16000L, JOYX, DX_XROT_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);
	SetSCurve(&T16000L, JOYX, 0, 20, 0, 0, 0);
	MapAxis(&T16000L, JOYY, DX_YROT_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);
	SetSCurve(&T16000L, JOYY, 0, 15, 0, 0, 0);
	MapAxis(&T16000L, RUDDER, DX_ZROT_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);
	SetSCurve(&T16000L, RUDDER, 0, 5, 0, 0, 0);
	MapAxis(&T16000L, THR, DX_THROTTLE_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);
	SetSCurve(&T16000L, THR, 0, 5, 0, 0, 0);

}
int EventHandle(int type, alias o, int x)
{
	DefaultMapping(&o, x);
}

ED accepts the following joystick commands.

Code: Select all

Joysticks/Other

Device Name: 

Availiable Keys:
	"Joy_1"
	"Joy_2"
	"Joy_3"
	"Joy_4"
	"Joy_5"
	"Joy_6"
	"Joy_7"
	"Joy_8"
	"Joy_9"
	"Joy_10"
	"Joy_11"
	"Joy_12"
	"Joy_13"
	"Joy_14"
	"Joy_15"
	"Joy_16"
	"Joy_17"
	"Joy_18"
	"Joy_19"
	"Joy_20"
	"Joy_21"
	"Joy_22"
	"Joy_23"
	"Joy_24"
	"Joy_25"
	"Joy_26"
	"Joy_27"
	"Joy_28"
	"Joy_29"
	"Joy_30"
	"Joy_31"
	"Joy_32"
	"Joy_POV1Up"
	"Joy_POV1Right"
	"Joy_POV1Down"
	"Joy_POV1Left"
	"Joy_POV2Up"
	"Joy_POV2Right"
	"Joy_POV2Down"
	"Joy_POV2Left"
	"Joy_POV3Up"
	"Joy_POV3Right"
	"Joy_POV3Down"
	"Joy_POV3Left"
	"Joy_POV4Up"
	"Joy_POV4Right"
	"Joy_POV4Down"
	"Joy_POV4Left"
	"Joy_XAxis"
	"Joy_YAxis"
	"Joy_ZAxis"
	"Joy_RXAxis"
	"Joy_RYAxis"
	"Joy_RZAxis"
	"Joy_UAxis"
	"Joy_VAxis"
But I'm not finding the "Joy_POV*" commands in the Target software.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Fri, 20. Jan 17, 21:25

Just... fascinating.

A group of Commanders on the edge on the galaxy prepared to jump further thanks to a neutron star to a point of no return.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXCOBXG8Px4

plus another of their videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSr7evdzkaE

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Mon, 23. Jan 17, 20:37

Hi folks :)

I haven't played Elite Dangerous for a while. Just booted up the game again today and noticed that the Passenger Lounge is now only 'Horizons content'! :o
When did this change?....does this mean that if you've only got the basic Elite Dangerous game, passenger missions are now off the menu?

Oldman :)

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Tue, 24. Jan 17, 01:15

Did a bit of checking loading the non-Horizons client, passengers mission are still there. Unless you find yourself at a moment were only missions requiring planet landings or VIP cabins are available, you should have them as usual.

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Tue, 24. Jan 17, 18:09

Aken_Bosch wrote:Did a bit of checking loading the non-Horizons client, passengers mission are still there. Unless you find yourself at a moment were only missions requiring planet landings or VIP cabins are available, you should have them as usual.
Thanks for the reply :)

It must have been the station I was at the time :? ....yep, docked at another station and the passenger missions are available. :oops:
so I presume there were no passenger missions at the previous station.
I maybe also mistook the 'Crew lounge' for the passenger lounge.
I could of course be going senile :roll: .... :D

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 25. Jan 17, 16:18

I'm a bit sad at how the storyline is progressing it seems that FD got a bit wrong footed by someone finding the alien ruins before they should by using the skybox in the trailer to find the planet. Either the clues they have planted are very hard to find or discover or the community is being incredible dense we haven't been able to find clues to "other" ruins locations. FD threw a bone in the shape pf a a two week Community Goal (CG) to collect data from the known ruins to help locate the other ruins. The CG was finished in a few days and we've been told what systems the ruins are in. Only problem is that's all we have and the only way to find the new ruins is to search manually using eyeball mk1.
A flower?

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Sun, 5. Feb 17, 23:36

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:I'm a bit sad at how the storyline is progressing ....
I agree, but looking back on the games development and how and when it was released it's fairly apparent now to see why.
Although it has been stated that an Elite '4' was always on the books, so to speak, by Frontier, it's also obvious 'now' that only certain aspects of the game were thought about in any great detail before release.
Combat was always going to be one of the main features of the game initially, as was trading. Exploration was going to be a given feature as well, so the play area had to be as good, if not better than previous games.

Frontier excelled at the size and intricate nature and complexity of the background play area, when talking of the mechanics of the galaxy itself, but it could be argued that it's still not much better in game detail than the last galaxy (Frontier First Encounters).
My own personal opinion is that in many ways the game was/is lacking many features that should have been present at the release date. It's obvious 'now' why some of these features are thin on the ground with game content, and it's because of this that many parts of the game have, and will suffer in the near future. Storyline/s just being one of the casualties in a list of several others I think.

This is hard for me to explain, but I'll try, and put it this way....
You open a book, you read the first page or two, you start to become engrossed in the story. Characters in the story start to take on personalities that you can become familiar with and understand. People, and just as important places they frequent start to come alive in ones imagination.
Just let me stop here....
People and places. Frontier have 'Places'...Space Stations. Are there people there, and if so what kind of reaction/interaction do we have with those people?
Is, or does the interaction with those people have any bearing in the game in anyway with any background stories?
Are 'Places' in the game relevant with any background stories, by this I mean are they places that are pivotal or create a hub of activity for any storylines and characters that might feature in the game.

At the moment due to the nature of development it seems like I'm reading a book where the previous chapters I've read are constantly being rewritten.
Some pages have no text, places in the book have no structure or meaning, and characters have no real substance.
For example, Earth is just a place name for a ball in space. The Galaxy is almost devoid of alien life forms, and.....well, you get the drift.

One day perhaps in Elite's future there will be characters (npc's) that we meet that will appear 'real', and lead players on to quests or missions in places that will be rich in storyline content, and experiences, visually and otherwise. Maybe online players in open and solo will figure to some extent in these storylines, which in some present situations they do, but at the moment there isn't the right structure and content in the game to allow this to happen in the way that perhaps David Braben imagines?

I think that at the moment it's a case of the cart before the horse to some extent. The 'Thargoids' are making an appearance, for example....but we can't land our ships on Earth or Mars?...and alien lifeforms are starting to be found (only) on some airless planets?...it's all a bit confusing. I would imagine it hampers the progression of storylines as well. I guess it will all come together at some time in the future...hopefully, but it strikes me that Frontier haven't made it easy for themselves to integrate storylines into the game at present, or perhaps in the near future, so I'm not too surprised at how any storylines in the game seem a bit lacking in structure and content at the moment.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sun, 5. Feb 17, 23:43

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:I'm a bit sad at how the storyline is progressing it seems that FD got a bit wrong footed by someone finding the alien ruins before they should by using the skybox in the trailer to find the planet. Either the clues they have planted are very hard to find or discover or the community is being incredible dense we haven't been able to find clues to "other" ruins locations. FD threw a bone in the shape pf a a two week Community Goal (CG) to collect data from the known ruins to help locate the other ruins. The CG was finished in a few days and we've been told what systems the ruins are in. Only problem is that's all we have and the only way to find the new ruins is to search manually using eyeball mk1.
ya its a problem for ED, no way to dress it up otherwise. I think they are finding their way tbh but yes it could have been handled better.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Mon, 6. Feb 17, 09:31

Yesterday evening all the mission offers stopped being generated, I tried about four different stations, but nothing, I'm on neutral terms with them. Anybody else had this happen to them?

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Mon, 6. Feb 17, 11:26

damn those prismatic shields are expensive, stocking up on a few of each has set me back nearly a billion credits :o

Dupin

Post by Dupin » Tue, 14. Feb 17, 23:04

Dupin

Post by Dupin » Thu, 16. Feb 17, 20:47

Return to “Off Topic English”