Elite: Dangerous (continued)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BigVern
x3tc

Post by BigVern » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 18:42

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
BigVern wrote:, being a wimp I kept my docking computer!
What's a "docking computer"?
Assuming that's not a tongue in cheek question :) , it's a module that docks you into the allocated bay at a station or outpost "hands off". Main benefit is you avoid colliding with the letterbox and should keep you from colliding with other shipping. Unlike the docking computer in the X games though, everything happens in real time which can be a real PITA if your allocated pad is at the back of the station!
Three Time Beagle Point Veteran

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 5. Apr 18, 14:42

BigVern wrote:
Assuming that's not a tongue in cheek question :) !
My tongue was firmly in my cheek!
A flower?

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 09:38

Hi :D

I've just completed my 5000 Ly trip (5072 Ly to be exact) and I ditched the docking computer for an AMFU, turned out I didn't need it as my hull was still at 100% and systems ok ish at the end.
I docked at the nearest outpost after I completed my trip as my DB. has no weapons or chaff. It's an outpost I've used frequently in the past so I'm Allied or friendly with all the factions there.
My Exploration data was worth about 12,000,000 which advanced me to 'Pioneer' and I can access Professor Palins workshop now. :thumb_up:

As I docked manually I realized how rusty I'd become at manual docking without the DC.!...it was hilarious :D. I picked the small outpost in the system as I reckoned it would be easier than to dock than the main orbital station, and a bit safer. :oops:

Anyhow, later on I practiced docking without the DC. a number of times just to get back in the 'groove' to being able to dock at all types of stations manually. Just goes to show how easier it is to dock, or more to the point how one becomes a bit too reliant on the DC.

Right....I'm off to see Professor Palin!...might even buy another Chieftain and engineer it up for combat. :o

Oldman :)

BigVern
x3tc

Post by BigVern » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 18:43

That's the reason I've hung onto my DC...

The other thing the game doesn't make clear is that if you take a Repair Limpet Controller, you can't synth the limpets direct to the unit, you need a freight bay to sore them... Aargh, a bit late finding that out 20 kylies from the nearest outpost!
Three Time Beagle Point Veteran

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Mon, 21. May 18, 14:54

Hi Folks :)

I'm still playing ED Horizons, Just thought to mention that I have to laugh at some of the NPC names that appear as pilots in my game, some of them quite witty and funny, and well thought out. I submitted my true name as part of the kickstarter contribution, but as yet I haven't seen my name appear as an NPC yet.

I was in a system just recently collecting materials and a few bounty's (in solo) and noticed that a Python was being piloted by a 'clean' NPC.
The NPC pilots name was Bruce Warren. Now I'm sure I've seen that name somewhere else... :gruebel: .... :wink:

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Fri, 29. Jun 18, 09:42

New version out, a couple of new ships. But not playing at the mo (messing about with a cheap goty Fallout 4). Suffering with ED fatigue.
A flower?

SepticTooth
x4

Post by SepticTooth » Sat, 30. Jun 18, 02:41

Oldman wrote:Hi Folks :)

I'm still playing ED Horizons, Just thought to mention that I have to laugh at some of the NPC names that appear as pilots in my game, some of them quite witty and funny, and well thought out. I submitted my true name as part of the kickstarter contribution, but as yet I haven't seen my name appear as an NPC yet.

I was in a system just recently collecting materials and a few bounty's (in solo) and noticed that a Python was being piloted by a 'clean' NPC.
The NPC pilots name was Bruce Warren. Now I'm sure I've seen that name somewhere else... :gruebel: .... :wink:

I think my favorite npc name in Elite still belongs to the fighter pilot that's been sitting in stasis in the belly of my anaconda for the past year. His name is Hung Best, and what time I did spend with him before taking an extended break from the game, he managed to prove his sizable cojones in combat.

I kinda grew tired of Frontier removing rep farms that took weeks while introducing busted missions that paid out hundreds of millions of credits a day though so I haven't had the itch to play in quite some time.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 10:55

SepticTooth wrote: I think my favorite npc name …..
Mrs Trellis (presumably from North Wales) has always been my favourite.
A flower?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 12:18

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote: Mrs Trellis (presumably from North Wales) has always been my favourite.
A joke which many Brits and pretty much everyone from any other country will fail to get, I feel. :wink:

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 16:48

pjknibbs wrote:
Redvers Ganderpoke wrote: Mrs Trellis (presumably from North Wales) has always been my favourite.
A joke which many Brits and pretty much everyone from any other country will fail to get, I feel. :wink:

Most likely. But that's their loss ;)
A flower?

Oldman
x3tc

Re: Elite: Dangerous (continued)

Post by Oldman » Sun, 27. Jan 19, 09:54

@ Moderators :) ...I didn't want to start a new topic whilst this was still on the board, so if you want to create a new one that's ok :)

Anyway, is anybody still playing this game?...if so what's your thoughts on the current state of development.
I'm still playing, enjoying it, the recent (ish) new features have added a bit more interest to the game for me, and the planet landing/planet features are quite good now.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Mon, 28. Jan 19, 17:31

After all the hype about the mamba and the comparisons to the fer de lance I've decided to take another look at the latter.

When it first came out I ignored it. Back then if memory serves there were no class four gimballed weapons and I suck at using fixed guns.
For some reason I'd assumed it had the same 4 utility slots as the python rather than the six it actually has.

So I've decided to get one and try it out. It's going to take me a while to get her all engineered up though.

I tried out the new mining and it's certainly cool but I'm not really into mining. I blew up a few 'roids but I guess it's not for me.

I much prefer the new scanning system to the old. Using an ADS to insta honk the whole system never really felt like exploration to me. You could
use a smaller scanner and leave yourself something to do but then you risked missing stuff, especially in multi-star systems. I much prefer the new
way of doing USS's too. In the old days I'd sit in cruise at 0 throttle waiting for them to randomly show up. It felt wrong. The random nature of
them was far too obvious. Having them generate on arrival and not immediately next to the ships feels a lot better. It might still be random but
it's not throwing the dice roll in your face to the same degree. It just feels more realistic.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 29. Jan 19, 18:20

brucewarren wrote:
Mon, 28. Jan 19, 17:31
... It just feels more realistic.
Just a search for a knowledgeable opinion on ED: How many "fiddly bits" are in it?

I read a fair amount about people tweaking their "stuff" in game, mostly related to ships. But, are there lots of things to tweak? For instance, is the ship design/tweak/weapons/stuffs system geared up so that many different overall designs are actually viable and meaningful? Or, is most of it a railroad towards "Best Practices/Min-Max?"

I like Fiddly Bits. In X3, there were a bunch of fiddly bits. There were min/max issues, but one could make just about anything "work well" for some kind of useful purpose. And, there wasn't "one path to rule them all", either. One could play however one wished and even within certain flavors of play-throughs, one had a huge array of choices for fiddly bits.

IF I played ED and decided, for instance, to pursue a career in asteroid mining... forever. How much stuffs would I get to fiddle with? Would it end up being "you have to get this one type of ship in order to really do that well" and "after three upgrades to your limited selection of fiddly bits, you're basically done with asteroid mining?"

For instance, in X3TC, if one wished to be a "miner," one would start with a POS crappy ship with an ore collector. But, eventually, one could move up to having huge Mobile Mining Fleets with base ships, huge merchant ships ferrying ore, fleets protecting Mobile Mining Base Ships in dangerous sectors, centralized distribution trade posts stocked by highly trained pilots ferrying goods within your network and that your very experienced ore merchants used to supply themselves as they ferried ore to every industry in the galaxy... Every ship, every installation, customizable by you with your weapons of choice, systems, preferred tunings, trained pilots, support and logistics ships, etc..

That is a very deep level of "fiddly bits." :)

I don't expect ED to provide that, but I'd like to know if that sort of customization and an equitable amount of it focused on the player's ship is possible in ED. Or, would it eventually come down to "there are no further fiddly bits and no productive point being an asteroid miner after about ten hours of play and once you get xxx ship."

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 30. Jan 19, 06:58

I haven't playec ED for nearly a year, the main reason is thst it srarted to feel like a job. Perhaps it doesn't suit how I want to play the game but wadn't really enjoying it. I have logged in to look at the new "exploration" enhancements and this has only enforced my current thinking.
A flower?

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 17:31

I'm still playing Horizons, downloaded the most recent 'update' and I was wondering what your thoughts are concerning the recent upgrade.
I was a bit miffed there wasn't much in the way of new features and ships, but I gather the recent upgrade was more to do with long term bug fixes, though there were a few minor improvements to scanning planets etc.

I've also been playing in open mode, I usually play solo, but I have noticed there's not many players in open mode. Maybe I'm not in systems that have many open players but I've recently been through Sol and Shinrarta Dezra , I only saw two commanders in both systems!
Anyhow, just thought I'd revive this topic to see if any veteran 'X' players are still interested in Elite Dangerous/Horizons, and what their thoughts were. :)

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 19:40

Everyone's pretty much waiting for the "next big thing" in December. That's going to be the make-or-break point for Elite Dangerous.
Frontier are doing their usual silence, taking it for granted that the player base will hang on and come back later in the year.
But many think that if the "next big thing" isn't walking around*, as is rumoured, then that's it for Elite Dangerous, it'll be a matter of when, not if, Frontier declare it dead.

*= Players might accept atmospheric landings, but it's not what's been "leaked" and not what's expected.
Formerly "Alien Tech Inc."

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 20:47

Don't expect too much from the game right now, as they are currently mainly just doing a massive bug repair and are not adding new content.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sat, 1. Feb 20, 21:16

I've not played for over a year now. The straw that broke the camel's back was the update last year that introduced the new exploration method and all my voice attack controls didn't work anymore. I just couldn't be bothered any more. So, my Asp, "Casual Obscenity" is currently abandoned in unoccupied space some 10kly from earth.
A flower?

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 1. Feb 20, 23:03

Wait, it's nearly dead?! Or just it's a bit dull? You can still play online right? I bought it but never actually got around to playing it, but if it's soon to be kaput I should perhaps install and give it a go at least. For nostalgias sake. Also, before Mount and Blade 2:BannerLord is out in March :D

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Sun, 2. Feb 20, 09:48

Chips wrote:
Sat, 1. Feb 20, 23:03
Or just it's a bit dull?
It's always been a bit dull I'm afraid.

I paid £100 for the premium beta back in 2014, and it's one of my biggest gaming purchase regrets.

Return to “Off Topic English”